PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Steelers-fo-life/DVSONE?

steelers43
04-26-2009, 10:51 AM
I remember last year he was touting trading our entired draft to select Rey Mala. and said Duke Robinson was the best lineman in the draft.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
i would love to hear dukes name called with this first 3rd.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

A little upset that Caldwell just went.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

im upset caldwell just went as well. not getting much luck with guys dropping. at least not for mack, wood and unger. too all fairness about the rey m trade i really think he is going to be a very good MLB in the nfl. i kinda wished we took him in the first. hood is a good and smart pick but rey m was the best player available

D Rock
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Urbik. Solid.

Hopefully they go Meredith at 84, then I'll be happy with anything they do at 96.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

im upset caldwell just went as well. not getting much luck with guys dropping. at least not for mack, wood and unger. too all fairness about the rey m trade i really think he is going to be a very good MLB in the nfl. i kinda wished we took him in the first. hood is a good and smart pick but rey m was the best player available

Oh, I like Rey also. Think he was a good pick. IF we needed another LB, I'd have loved him at 32 but SFL wanted to trade our entire draft, every pick, to get him.

frankthetank1
04-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

Oh, I like Rey also. Think he was a good pick. IF we needed another LB, I'd have loved him at 32 but SFL wanted to trade our entire draft, every pick, to get him.

haha i know i remember that. i was shocked he fell so far. yea you never trade the whole draft especially when you dont have to move up to get the guy you want

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2009, 11:11 AM
rashad johnson would be a nice pick.

steelers43
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
rashad johnson would be a nice pick.

DJ Moore would be very nice.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
yep.

both of them make alot of plays.

feltdizz
04-27-2009, 10:33 AM
That dude DVS was USC all day long... he had some knowledge but I think he loves the college game more than the NFL.. way too many times he wanted to dump proven NFL players for college sensations...

I liked the Mendenhall pick but he wanted to dump FWP before Mend had one NFL carry. As we saw.. that would have been a bad decision last year.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2009, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

problem i have is we do need an ILB, but, people are missing why... We don't need one today. Just like we don't need a starting DE or NT today.

But, I contend that we'll need ILB SOONER than we actually need the d-linemen we drafted...

To being with, this is Foote's last year as a Steeler. His contract is up and he's stated that he doesn't want to return. In fact, he'd like to already be gone.

More importantly, with DLine, we're talking "age", but, Farrior is OLDER than the d-linemen.. In 2010, we'll have Farrior (who will turn 36 during that season) alongside Timmons.

Basically, it woulda been nice to get someone to sit a year (like we've done for the linemen)... instead, we'll either be looking for a 2010 rookie to be prepared to contribute or get a FA scrap.

I think it was very short-sighted... not necessarily passing on him specifically, but, not having the ILB position on the short-list of "needs".

frankthetank1
04-27-2009, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

problem i have is we do need an ILB, but, people are missing why... We don't need one today. Just like we don't need a starting DE or NT today.

But, I contend that we'll need ILB SOONER than we actually need the d-linemen we drafted...

To being with, this is Foote's last year as a Steeler. His contract is up and he's stated that he doesn't want to return. In fact, he'd like to already be gone.

More importantly, with DLine, we're talking "age", but, Farrior is OLDER than the d-linemen.. In 2010, we'll have Farrior (who will turn 36 during that season) alongside Timmons.

Basically, it woulda been nice to get someone to sit a year (like we've done for the linemen)... instead, we'll either be looking for a 2010 rookie to be prepared to contribute or get a FA scrap.

I think it was very short-sighted... not necessarily passing on him specifically, but, not having the ILB position on the short-list of "needs".

well a fa scrap could be another farrior, but i agree ilb is a glaring need. i wanted rey m really bad, but who knows he has injury concearns. not like troy didnt coming out of college. i think nt is just as big of a need as ilb or at least it was. casey's days are numbered and his play has fallen off. after him we have hoke who is old so im glad they addressed the d-line. i have no idea what they are going to do with replacing foote

ikestops85
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
well a fa scrap could be another farrior, but i agree ilb is a glaring need. i wanted rey m really bad, but who knows he has injury concearns. not like troy didnt coming out of college. i think nt is just as big of a need as ilb or at least it was. casey's days are numbered and his play has fallen off. after him we have hoke who is old so im glad they addressed the d-line. i have no idea what they are going to do with replacing foote

We've got a guy by the name of Fox who is a star on special teams and I think will make a great inside linebacker when he finally gets a chance. I'm not sure why people on this board overlook him. He seems to be going the James Harrison path, not that I would expect him to turn out that good but you never know.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2009, 11:57 AM

We've got a guy by the name of Fox who is a star on special teams and I think will make a great inside linebacker when he finally gets a chance. I'm not sure why people on this board overlook him. He seems to be going the James Harrison path, not that I would expect him to turn out that good but you never know.
fox couldn't get on the field with a lesser team... it would be nice, but, i'm as hopeful as you.

Djfan
04-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Fox seems to have what it takes IMO. They just re upped him, so it may be more than we think. He's a machine on ST.

Chavezz
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
SoD,

You gotta remember that we can't have elite talent at every position. Sometimes a roll player has to fill a spot.

Between Harrison, Woodley and Timmons, can you pay a high end rookie LB? I mean you could but that's a lot of money tied up in one group.

I don't know what the plan is with Bruce Davis but he may be a candidate. Fox would make a good run stuffer and don't rule out the potential of going to a 43D. I know it's blasphemy to most but it needs to be considered.

Mel Blount's G
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

That's debatable saying Rey was the best available. I think he will be good but is going to have a long learning curve because he's quite immature imo. Go find him walking up behind Erin Andrews on youtube. This after the rose bowl as his next game will be as a pro. I think he's lucky that his ol buddy philip rivers will be there to help show him the ropes. I do not think he's going to be a real stand out like junior seau was who is the obvious comparison. He is not as strong, fast or intelligent as junior. The fact that his home team, San Diego, a team in dire need of ilb's and the "next" seau, passed on him, says it all and may have passed a subtle message to the rest of the teams that passed on him. :2c

SteelerOfDeVille
04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
SoD,

You gotta remember that we can't have elite talent at every position. Sometimes a roll player has to fill a spot.

Between Harrison, Woodley and Timmons, can you pay a high end rookie LB? I mean you could but that's a lot of money tied up in one group.

I don't know what the plan is with Bruce Davis but he may be a candidate. Fox would make a good run stuffer and don't rule out the potential of going to a 43D. I know it's blasphemy to most but it needs to be considered.
but, you have to realize, end of 1st round isn't high end. a few years ago, Miller got a 5 year deal for $6.89 million. later, holmes @ #25 was 5 year, $8.11... we're probably looking at 5 year, $10 million for the #32 pick - regardless of position. they're basically "slotted".

Davis is an OLB - if he comes on, he'll provide depth there. That we were looking at OLBs tells me they weren't too pleased with him. still, farrior being older than the entire d-line and foote likely being in his last year concerns me. i'm guessing ILB will be high on the list next offseason.

steelers43
04-27-2009, 11:56 PM
SoD,

but, you have to realize, end of 1st round isn't high end. a few years ago, Miller got a 5 year deal for $6.89 million. later, holmes @ #25 was 5 year, $8.11... we're probably looking at 5 year, $10 million for the #32 pick - regardless of position. they're basically "slotted".

Davis is an OLB - if he comes on, he'll provide depth there. That we were looking at OLBs tells me they weren't too pleased with him. still, farrior being older than the entire d-line and foote likely being in his last year concerns me. i'm guessing ILB will be high on the list next offseason.

Rey dropped to to some questionable past events and attitude/temper things that happened at USC.

He was a tremendous value in the second imo. I had him and Hood as a 20-32 selection, as I did Hood.

That said, the questions about Rey and the fact I disagree with you about ILB being our most needed position makes me feel ILB is a much more bigger need and Hood is by far a much more rare player.

Rey would have been great to have but Hood was the better selection for a few reasons.

1. Farrior's age is an issue on paper alone. He just re-signed for five years. He likely won't play five but he'll play at least three more.

2. Farrior takes care of himself like no other Steeler. He works out all offseason, isn't overweight like the lineman and doesn't put undo stress on his knees. He has a tremendous work ethic and imo is one of the all time great Steeler linebackers. Hall of famer imo.

3. Timmons is there for the backup position and may start this year. Foote adds depth for another year and is solid starting material if injury happens.

4. Worst case scenario, we can find an adequate backup DE to keep the defense working. Kirshke's knees are shot and he's 35. Eason is adequate at best. We need both backups and starting material for the DL. Keisel isn't great and Smith isn't getting younger.

5. Worst case scenario for the ILB, Farrior is injured or retires, we can move Foote into the lineup and reshuffle next year. An ILB can be found to backup and we can draft another next year, if needed.

That said, I doubt anything happens to Farrior except another pro bowl.

I can't argue with the first pick but I can argue with thereafter. I may have taken Urbik but I think better value can be had after Wallace.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2009, 12:13 AM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":1i42q32h]i would love to hear dukes name called with this first 3rd.

Yeah, I'd do it now.

RObinson,
Urbik
DJ Moore
Kevin Barnes
Derrick Williams
Sidbury
Meredith
Big Herman

TOns of talent there.

That's debatable saying Rey was the best available. I think he will be good but is going to have a long learning curve because he's quite immature imo. Go find him walking up behind Erin Andrews on youtube. This after the rose bowl as his next game will be as a pro. I think he's lucky that his ol buddy philip rivers will be there to help show him the ropes. I do not think he's going to be a real stand out like junior seau was who is the obvious comparison. He is not as strong, fast or intelligent as junior. The fact that his home team, San Diego, a team in dire need of ilb's and the "next" seau, passed on him, says it all and may have passed a subtle message to the rest of the teams that passed on him. :2c[/quote:1i42q32h]

You meant Keith Rivers. I read it, and thought, Philip Rivers?...Maualuga didn't go to the Chargers in real life...only in 80% of the mocks out there. Then I thought...wait...Philip Rivers went to NC State, not USC. After a while, it hit me what you meant (like a Hines Ward block to the jaw) :shock: :wink:

Mel Blount's G
04-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Doh! Yeah, Keith is who I meant. I think he will help the Rey adjust. Keith seemed like a mature stand-up guy to me, quite the opposite of my impression of maualuga. Hopefully though, Rey will room with Chris Henry and learn the real Bunghole way

AkronSteel
04-28-2009, 01:27 AM

fox couldn't get on the field with a lesser team... it would be nice, but, i'm as hopeful as you.

It was a different system and a different team.......the guy seemed to play pretty darn well last year when given the opportunity. I remember a lot of good tackles and an interception from him last preseason. I think he could be a solid player and we can't really judge him on what he did in KC, I don't really think that is fair......as a Steeler he was a nice contributor, especially on the coverage units.

If Rey was drafted he wouldn't have played a significant role for a couple of years. We will get our ILB when the day arises that it is necessary. We always find LB's, not even worried about it.

:2c

SteelerOfDeVille
04-28-2009, 01:35 AM

It was a different system and a different team.......the guy seemed to play pretty darn well last year when given the opportunity. I remember a lot of good tackles and an interception from him last preseason. I think he could be a solid player and we can't really judge him on what he did in KC, I don't really think that is fair......as a Steeler he was a nice contributor, especially on the coverage units.

If Rey was drafted he wouldn't have played a significant role for a couple of years. We will get our ILB when the day arises that it is necessary. We always find LB's, not even worried about it.

:2c
I hear you... and here's to hoping Fox becomes a James Harrison.

However, if he doesn't, we're but 1 season away from actually needing someone who can step in... I've said it many times, but, Farrior is older than our "old" d-line and Foote will likely be gone after this season. Worst case, we'll need a backup next season if Fox can't be it. Depending on Farrior's age/speed/health -- he'll be 35 this january and 36 during the following playoff run... it's possible we need a starter

phillyesq
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
ILB will be a need down the line, but really, aside from QB, you can say that about almost any position on the team. IMO, DL is a more pressing need, and a tougher one to fill. Most defensive lineman with the Steelers need at least one if not two years to contribute.

With Woodley, Timmons and Harrison, the Steelers can easily get by with a stopgap at ILB. Foote has never been an explosive playmaker. He is just a dependable guy that does his job, and allows the playmakers to make plays. The Steelers can grab a FA to do that, or they can draft somebody in a year or two and develop them for the role.