PDA

View Full Version : Kool Aid Time: Ziggy Hood Articles

costanza2k1
04-26-2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09116/965723-87.stm

Ron Cook
Steelers' brass finds what it likes under the Hood
Defensive lineman from Missouri fills one of team's needs; now for the other one
Sunday, April 26, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Finally, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert delivered ...

Hold on.

I know, I know.

They delivered in a pretty big way in Tampa on Feb. 1, but I'm talking about the NFL draft here.

A year later, Tomlin, Colbert and the Steelers got their man.

It's nice to think they'll get another today.

On more than one occasion between the painful loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the AFC playoffs after the 2007 season and the start of the '08 NFL draft, Tomlin said the team needed to get bigger, stronger and younger on the offensive and defensive lines.

The problem was that '08 draft didn't cooperate. Seven offensive linemen -- including six tackles -- and five defensive linemen were taken before the Steelers picked Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall with their No. 1 pick. Two more offensive hogs and six defensive linemen then went before they took Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed with their second selection.

The Steelers never did get bigger, stronger and younger.

That they won Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa didn't change that fact.

That's why it's a lot easier to like the start of the '09 draft a lot better than the '08 draft.

Assuming Missouri defensive end Evander "Ziggy" Hood can play, of course.

Who knows?

Maybe the man will provide a Holyfield-like punch to the Steelers' defense.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

"I think anything I put my mind to, I know I can do it," a delighted Hood was saying over the telephone last night from his hometown of Amarillo, Texas. "I'm going to take everything I can and everything I know and put it to become one of those star players and make sure I don't let down the whole Steelers organization."

Sounds good, doesn't it?

With the terrific Aaron Smith getting ready to start his second decade in the NFL and Brett Keisel headed into the final year of his contract, the Steelers clearly had a need at defensive end.

Tomlin and Colbert will tell you that's why they were so delighted to grab Hood when they finally made their No. 32 pick in the first round at 7:30, 3 1/2 long hours after the draft extravaganza kicked off.

"There are no holes in this guy," Tomlin gushed.

"This is a high-quality player and person," Colbert said.

I don't know about you, I'm willing to trust Tomlin's and Colbert's judgment and believe that they got it right, not just with Hood, but by trading their pick at the end of the second round to the Denver Broncos for two third-round selections today.

They have earned at least that with me.

That's why I'm still thinking Mendenhall is going to be a really, really good player. It wasn't his fault that Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis played his shoulder like an accordion early last season. It's also too soon to write off Sweed, although he sure did look like a bust when he dropped that touchdown pass against the Ravens in the AFC championship game in January.

He'll really make Tomlin and Colbert look smart if he comes back to play well as the Steelers' third wide receiver this season behind their two Super Bowl MVPs, Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

It might take a year or two for Hood to make any kind of impact, but his selection added to what's looking like a mighty fine football weekend around here.

It started Friday when the Steelers reached agreement with free-agent veteran cornerback Keiwan Ratliff. If nothing else, he'll add depth at a valuable position, one weakened by the loss of free-agent Bryant McFadden to the Arizona Cardinals.

Then, things got a whole lot better when word came that the Steelers reached a long-term contract extension with Ward, who was heading into the final year of his current deal. That came as no surprise, really. Ward learned from his mentor, Jerome Bettis, that a few more dollars elsewhere aren't worth leaving a city where you are an icon. It's no secret that he wants to put every franchise receiving record so far out there that they'll be almost impossible to break.

Still, it's wonderful to know he will finish his Hall of Fame career here, right where it started and right where he belongs.

Now if Tomlin and Colbert can just get that quality offensive lineman with one of their three third-round picks today ...

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09116/965649-66.stm

Steelers go to Hood in opening round 2009
Sunday, April 26, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pam Panchak / Post-Gazette
John McGee gets a photo of the six Super Bowl trophies during the Steelers 2009 Fan Blitz at Heinz Field.
The Steelers ended a 20-year drought yesterday when they drafted defensive end Evander "Ziggy" Hood in the first round.

Now, they must hope they do not repeat that long-ago history.

They previously drafted a defensive end in the first round in 1988, Aaron Jones of Eastern Kentucky, and that one did not pan out. In fact, the Steelers have never drafted a Pro Bowl defensive end in the first round.

They would like to change that with Hood, who is 6 feet 21/2, 300 pounds. He played defensive tackle at Missouri but his future will be as a defensive end in the Steelers' 3-4. He is the first defensive lineman the Steelers have drafted in the first three rounds since they chose nose tackle Casey Hampton in the first round of 2001.

After trying and failing to make a trade to move higher in the second round, the Steelers instead wound up trading out of the round altogether. They traded their picks in the second and fourth rounds to Denver for two third-round choices from the Broncos, Nos. 79 and 84 overall.

The Steelers have a good but aging three-man line with no young prospect of promise behind them.

Of their starting three, end Aaron Smith is 33, nose tackle Casey Hampton will be 32 and end Brett Keisel will be 31. Backup nose tackle Chris Hoke is 33 and No. 1 backup end Travis Kirschke will be 35 when the season starts. Hampton and Keisel also enter the final years of their contracts.

"Ziggy Hood is a Steelers-type of player," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "There are no holes in this guy. He's a high-character guy."

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said he was "pleasantly surprised" that Hood was not drafted earlier.

"He's a special guy, he really is," Colbert said. "This is a high-quality player and a person."

Colbert said Hood also could "help out" at nose tackle and could be used as one of their two inside rushers when they go to a four-man line in their nickel and dime passing defenses or "sub" packages.

Hood's agent told him yesterday he thought Detroit would draft him at No. 24. Instead of getting picked by the winless Lions, however, he wound up with the Super Bowl champs.

"I couldn't describe the feeling," Hood said in a conference call to Pittsburgh yesterday. "My stomach just tightened up all of a sudden and I choked and I almost fainted.

"I feel excited, especially for the Super Bowl team. Just to be part of [the defense] known as the Steel Curtain, it's just a real honor."

On only a few occasions Hood has played in a 3-4 defense when the Tigers would use that briefly against a few opponents, but for the most part he played a "one-gap" in Missouri. With the Steelers, he will have to play in a two-gap system.

"I'll have to work more with my hands and develop more punch off the ball,'' Hood said of the challenge.

"My work," he said, "begins tomorrow."

Hood started 31 games over the past three seasons in Missouri's 4-3 defense. He had 15 1/2 career sacks from his tackle spot, including five last season. He was Missouri's team captain last season, was selected All-Big 12 Conference and was second-team academic all-conference. He started every game last season on the right side.

By all accounts, Hood not only has talent but good citizenship, and the Steelers believe that's important.

"It was more than my ability, speed and strength," Hood said. "I think I presented myself as having good character."

Smart, too. He said he grew up a Denver Broncos fan but when asked yesterday which team he rooted for in Super Bowl XLIII, Hood responded, "I was rooting for my team. I was rooting for us."

"I didn't grow up too much listening about the Pittsburgh Steelers because at the time they were not my team," Hood said. "But now that it is, I'm going to learn everything, every history point."

Hood said he could accept not moving into the starting lineup as a rookie with so much talent in front of him.

"It may take some time," he said.

Colbert called the action in the second round "fast and furious" as he and Tomlin stayed in their draft room after their first-round pick to try to move higher. When that failed, they opted to pick up extra picks higher in the third round because of the quality of the players there, Colbert said.

"There is a nice group of guys left," Colbert said. "Instead of [drafting] one of that group, we have a chance to get three."

Barring more trades, the Steelers today will have eight picks -- three in the third round, none in the fourth, two in the fifth, one in the sixth and two in the seventh.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 2372.html# (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622372.html#)

Steelers decide on defensive lineman
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 26, 2009

Addressing the defensive line with their top pick for the first time in almost a decade, the Steelers took a player whose nickname can be traced to a comic strip and who was an honors student at Missouri.

Considering the financial investment they will make in Evander "Ziggy" Hood, the Steelers are betting that the defensive lineman will be more capable than the hapless comic character after which he is named.

The 6-3, 300-pound Hood played defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense at Missouri, but he'll line up primarily at defensive end for the Steelers.

"I have no problem doing whatever it takes," Hood said Saturday night during a conference call. "My work begins (today)."

The Steelers have plenty of work left to do in the draft.

They have eight picks in rounds three through seven, which will be held today, after trading their second-round pick to the Denver Broncos. The Steelers gave up their second- and fourth-round picks in exchange for two third-round picks, giving them three selections in the round.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the Steelers traded out of the second round because of the number of highly regarded players that will be available in the third round.

"Hopefully, we'll come up with three quality guys," Colbert said.

Colbert used the same adjective to describe Hood as a player and person, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin concurred.

"Ziggy Hood is a Steelers type of player," Tomlin said, "There are no holes in him."

Assuming he makes a successful transition from college to the NFL, Hood allows the Steelers to get younger on the defensive line. All three of the Steelers' starters on the defensive line are in their 30s, and right defensive end Brett Keisel is going into the final year of his contract.

Hood, given his nickname by a grandmother that called him Ziggy because she didn't speak English, said he played "a little bit" in a 3-4 defense in college. The Steelers like his versatility, Colbert said, and they drafted him because of the qualities that transcend scheme.

Hood, who had 10 sacks and 15 tackles for losses his past two seasons in college, is a high-energy player with the size and strength to handle the double teams that defensive ends in a 3-4 set see on a regular basis.

Hood said his agent told him that he might go to the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons or Indianapolis Colts in the first round. Hood sounded like he was anything but disappointed that he slipped to the Steelers.

"When my name popped, I almost dropped the phone," Hood said. "I choked. I almost fainted."

The Steelers may have been as surprised as they were ecstatic that they had the chance to draft Hood without having to trade up.

Hood said he interviewed with the Steelers at the NFL Scouting Combine in February but did not hear much from them after that, an indication they did not think they would have an opportunity to draft him.

"I guess I was under the radar," Hood said. "I'm glad I fell into a great organization."

The Steelers could have gone in a number of ways with their top pick, and Colbert said he would have been comfortable taking "four or five" players that were still on their draft board at the end of the round.

Ultimately, the Steelers couldn't pass on a player who could become part of their rotation at defensive end next season and eventually a starter.

"He's a special guy, he really is," Colbert said. "He was somebody we felt good about from the first time we scouted him. There's so many superlatives about this kid. We're excited to get him in here."

A LOOK AT EVANDER HOOD (NO. 32 OVERALL)

College: Missouri

Position: Defensive tackle

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 300 pounds

Notable: Nicknamed "Ziggy" by his grandmother after her favorite cartoon character. ... Was named a first-team all-Big 12 by coaches, after recording 62 total tackles, five sacks and seven tackles for a loss as a senior. ...Ran 4.97 at the combine and had 34 reps of 220 pounds, tied for the fifth-most by any player at the combine. ... Very smart (named second-team all-Big 12 academic team) and very tough. When he suffered a broken foot as a sophomore, he had surgery to insert a screw, missed only three games and returned to play the rest of the season. ... Totaled 170 tackles, 15.5 sacks and 22.5 tackles for a loss in four years.

Quotable: "I'm going to take everything I can and everything I know and put it to become of their star players and make sure I don't let down the whole Steelers organization."

Even more: Evander Hood at NFL.com

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.
Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent from PghTrib.com

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 22367.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_622367.html)

Hood slides under the radar to Steelers
Buzz up!
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 26, 2009
About the writer

John Harris is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-481-5432.

As a college sophomore, Evander "Ziggy" Hood, the Steelers' newest first-round draft pick, fractured his right foot in a game. He returned to action three weeks after surgery to have a screw inserted even though doctors said he would be lost for the season.

Playing through pain, Hood compiled 38 tackles (24 solo), four sacks, five stops for losses of 18 yards and four pressures. He also caused two fumbles and deflected a pass.

As a senior, Hood collected 62 tackles (31 solo), five sacks, seven stops behind the line of scrimmage, recovered two fumbles and blocked a kick. Primarily an inside run stopper, he still finished with 15 1/2 career sacks.

Hood's body of work at Missouri and a brief 15-minute conversation with the coaching staff at the NFL Scouting Combine in February convinced the Steelers to make him the team's first defensive lineman selected in the first round since Casey Hampton in 2001.

Sometimes, a team just has a feeling about these things.

In other words, the Steelers didn't expect Hood to be available with the No. 32 pick.

Quite frankly, Hood's talent was too good to pass up.

Like Rashard Mendenhall a year ago whom the Steelers didn't invite to Pittsburgh for a more in-depth pre-draft interview because they never figured he would be available Hood was an afterthought until Saturday.

Hood was shocked the Steelers drafted him.

"I had one 15-minute interview with the Steelers. After that, I didn't hear too much until today after the 27th pick,'' said Hood, referring to the Indianapolis Colts, who had that pick and took Connecticut running back Donald Brown instead. "I thought they were looking for an offensive lineman, maybe a linebacker.''

Instead, the Steelers settled for a tough, throwback football player who remained on the field two seasons ago despite a major injury that would have kept most players out of action, only to make himself one of the most dominant defenders in college football.

"He's all about team concept, he's all about family, he's all about morals and work ethic,'' said Steve Parr, who coached Hood at Palo Duro High School in Amarillo, Texas. "He's a great team guy, very smart.''

When asked what he looks for in potential Steelers a few days before the draft, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin described Hood without even realizing it. Or maybe he did realize what he was saying, and we didn't know it.

"The deciding factors are the things that you can't measure character, toughness, smarts,'' Tomlin said.

When he met with Tomlin at the combine, Hood discussed defensive schemes and strategy and his willingess to learn.

"Really, it was more than my ability, speed and strength. I think the way I presented myself and I feel like I came off as a good character,'' Hood said. "And I think I knew a little bit about the game and explained my defense. And really sitting there with Coach Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff and making myself available to where I can be coached and have no problem being coached and I don't mind fixing and adjusting to different things.''

Apparently, Tomlin and the Steelers took the bait.

Evander Hood becomes emotional after being selected by the Steelers. Hood was at a draft party in Amarillo, Texas, when called by the defending Super Bowl champions.
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/images/200904/hoodcries0426_330.jpg

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09116/965729-66.stm

Profile of Steelers' first round draft pick Evander Hood
Missouri's coach said 'you're a better football team when' Hood's around, and the Steelers couldn't agree more
Sunday, April 26, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Michael Norris/The Amarillo Globe News
Evander Hood becomes emotional after being selected by the Steelers. Hood was at a draft party in Amarillo, Texas, when called by the defending Super Bowl champions.
Josh Young has known Evander "Ziggy" Hood for a long time, since the two were in middle school in Amarillo, Texas. They played on the same side of the ball at Palo Duro High School and remained friends when Hood went to Missouri and he went to West Texas A&M as an outside linebacker.

Young said he doesn't know a lot about the Steelers, but he said he has seen enough to know they play hard and play together. And he can't think of a better fit for their team -- and their locker room -- than his best friend.

"People are just kind of drawn to him because of his presence," Young said. "You will want to be his friend. When you get around someone who works as hard as he does, you want to work that hard, too.

"He works as hard as he possibly can every play. He woke up this morning and ran before the draft because he never takes a day off. He'll give everything he has."

That is one of the overriding reasons the Steelers selected Hood, a defensive tackle who will play defensive end in their 3-4 defense, with the 32nd overall pick in the NFL draft.

He has a dominating presence on the field, testament to the double-team attention he received at Missouri, where he registered 10 sacks, 15 stops behind the line of scrimmage and 16 quarterback pressures the past two seasons. But he has equally daunting presence off the field, a player who has a positive effect on his teammates and an almost instant camaraderie with nearly everyone he meets.

"I tell people, "You're a better football team when he's walking around your locker room,' " Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said.

"That was evident the first time we met him," said Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "He was somebody we felt good about from the first time we scouted him and talked to him at the combine. This is a high quality player and person."

"He's a Steeler-type of player," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "There are no holes in this guy."

Precisely why Young said he has been his friend for so long.

"He's a great guy," said Young, who is scheduled to graduate from West Texas A&M in August. "He's always there for you. I knew if I would call him, if I had any trouble, he'd be there for me. That's why we're still friends."

Hood's stock began to rise after the scouting combine in February, where his workout was solid, but not spectacular. Not satisfied with his performance, Hood went back to the weight room, improved his strength and developed more quickness.

The extra work is the reason his stock began to rise. At Missouri's two pro days, he bettered his performance in nearly every category from the combine -- running a 4.83 in the 40-yard dash and ranked first among the draft's defensive tackles in 10-yard burst (1.62 seconds), 20-yard burst (2.81 seconds) and shuttle run (4.55 seconds).

"I think when they actually got to talk with him and see what he's like personality-wise, they found out this guy is pretty special," Pinkel said. "I think [they decided], 'Hey, we've got to rethink this guy a little bit.' "

And the Steelers did, none of which surprised Sara Nengesha, Hood's girlfriend for nearly four years.

"You will not believe his work ethic," said Nengesha, 22, who lived in the same campus dormitory as Hood and met him on a blind date when the two were freshmen at Missouri. "And the time spent is not only making himself better, but everyone else better. That's just the way he is in everyday life. He is someone you can always, always count on. If he makes a promise and says he's going to do it, you better believe it's going to get done."

Nengesha said she was reluctant to date Hood because he was an athlete and "all the things you hear about athletes." Nearly four years later, she refers to him as "the man of my dreams," a declaration that draws a warm-heated chuckle from Hood.

"He's not your typical athlete and he's not your normal everyday guy," Nengesha said. "Football is something he does. It's not who he is."

Tomlin said much the same thing after he was hired as Steelers coach, saying of himself, "Football is what I do; it's not who I am."

Told about Tomlin's belief, Nengesha said, "Football is a huge part of our lives. But it doesn't take over our lives."

Hood seems like a natural fit for the Steelers. He certainly will be given every opportunity to do so on the field, where he is the first defensive lineman to be selected in the first round since Casey Hampton in 2001.

"I think he's a perfect fit," Young said. "He's not going to get there and cause any trouble. I can't think of anyone who would fit in any better."

costanza2k1
04-26-2009, 01:01 AM
[youtube:9nmcblb6]1fiWgAZf0v4[/youtube:9nmcblb6]

Mel Blount's G
04-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Colbert called the action in the second round "fast and furious" as he and Tomlin stayed in their draft room after their first-round pick to try to move higher. When that failed, they opted to pick up extra picks higher in the third round because of the quality of the players there, Colbert said.
:shock:

Interesting tidbit to know that they WERE trying to move up in the 2nd. Wonder who they had their eye on?

Oh, and thanks for posting costanza. Good stuff

costanza2k1
04-26-2009, 01:32 AM

Interesting tidbit to know that they WERE trying to move up in the 2nd. Wonder who they had their eye on?

Lolly confirmed it real time:

I look for the Steelers to try hard to trade up in the second round. In fact, as I sit here at 7:53, almost 20 minutes after they made their pick, Colbert and Tomlin haven't come in to address the media.

Tells me something's brewing.

I have confirmed the Steelers are trying to trade up in the second round for Unger.

With trade up for Unger dead, I like Jamon Meredith now in the second round. Craig Urbik and Antione Caldwell are also possibilities.

papillon
04-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Ziggy seems to be a better pass rusher than a run stopper. The Steelers don't really look for their defensive linemen to rush the passer (at least, not like in that video). It looked like he held the point of attack very well 2 or 3 times and got blocked a couple times. Hopefully, our current d-line doesn't sustain any major injuries and Ziggy will get some snaps, but, mostly he'll be able to practice, watch and learn.

Pappy

Chadman
04-26-2009, 05:09 AM
Ziggy seems to be a better pass rusher than a run stopper. The Steelers don't really look for their defensive linemen to rush the passer (at least, not like in that video). It looked like he held the point of attack very well 2 or 3 times and got blocked a couple times. Hopefully, our current d-line doesn't sustain any major injuries and Ziggy will get some snaps, but, mostly he'll be able to practice, watch and learn.

Pappy

Noticed that too. Gets good penetration.

We used to say the same about Keisel too, though. He developed nicely. Character-wise, it seems a hard player to pass up.

papillon
04-26-2009, 08:18 AM

Pappy

Noticed that too. Gets good penetration.

We used to say the same about Keisel too, though. He developed nicely. Character-wise, it seems a hard player to pass up.

The Steelers were also true to their word about drafting "Steeler guys". Ziggy's reaction to being selected by the Steelers tells you he wants to prove that he deserves to be drafted by the defending Super Bowl champs. His responses to questions were spot on as well; the Steelers drafted a winner character wise. If he watches and learns like the draftees from the past few drafts have done he'll be a Steeler for a long time.

I like the pick, the player and the value.

Pappy

steelcityrules!!
04-26-2009, 08:27 AM
I for one am stoked. This guy is big enough, fast enough, and smart enough to be very successful as a 34 DE.

all signs point to him not only being a tireless worker, but he's humble and extremely smart. Sounds like Heath a bit doesn't it?

Colbert and Tomlin hit again, (I believe anyhow, time will tell) and I am just so glad we didn't wind up with percy harvin or the 7th best OT.

papillon
04-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I for one am stoked. This guy is big enough, fast enough, and smart enough to be very successful as a 34 DE.

all signs point to him not only being a tireless worker, but he's humble and extremely smart. Sounds like Heath a bit doesn't it?

Colbert and Tomlin hit again, (I believe anyhow, time will tell) and I am just so glad we didn't wind up with percy harvin or the 7th best OT.

I never thought that was even a remote possibility. Six Wrs drafted on day one that's always good for the Super Bowl Champs (whoever it may be) that means that players that can actually help are falling down the draft boards.

I mean really, Darius Heyward-Bey ahead of Michael Crabtree? :wft As long as there are incompetent or in the case of Oakland, senile, owners in the league the Steelers will be successful.

Pappy

steelcityrules!!
04-26-2009, 08:43 AM

I never thought that was even a remote possibility. Six Wrs drafted on day one that's always good for the Super Bowl Champs (whoever it may be) that means that players that can actually help are falling down the draft boards.

I mean really, Darius Heyward-Bey ahead of Michael Crabtree? :wft As long as there are incompetent or in the case of Oakland, senile, owners in the league the Steelers will be successful.

Pappy
It's so funny, because multiple commentators have written and spoken about how the successful franchises routinely cull top talent and cogs in the big wheel.

You would think the others would pay attention and play copycat.

Lets take the bengals for instance:

Both of their day 1 picks had some sort of ?? or potential work ethic/off field concern to some degree.

I'm not saying they won't be successful, or aren't worthy of the selection, but when your recent history is sooo glaringly horrible when it comes to character and off-field concerns... you draft the choir boys who train 8 days a week and haven't EVER given up on a play on the field.

flippy
04-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Ziggy looks like he could contribute on 3rd downs early to help our pass rush.

Like the kid's quickness and motor.

Looks very much like a penetrator than a gap controller a la Brett Keisel.

Also makes me wonder about a 4-3 defense in Pittsburgh.

This kid looks like a perfect 4-3 tackle.

papillon
04-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Repeat after me, "the Steelers are not changing the #1 defense in the NFL to a 43", "the Steelers are not changing the #1 defense in the NFL to a 43", "the Steelers are not changing the #1 defense in the NFL to a 43", etc, etc,... :moon :tt2

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM

Pappy

I think as a rookie, we will take advantage of that pass-rushing prowess from the DT spot by using him inside in nickel and dime packages. It will take him longer to learn the intricacies of the 3-4 DE position in a LeBeau defense, so I think he will only be a rotational backup there as a rookie.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
[quote]Colbert called the action in the second round "fast and furious" as he and Tomlin stayed in their draft room after their first-round pick to try to move higher. When that failed, they opted to pick up extra picks higher in the third round because of the quality of the players there, Colbert said.

Lolly confirmed it real time:

I look for the Steelers to try hard to trade up in the second round. In fact, as I sit here at 7:53, almost 20 minutes after they made their pick, Colbert and Tomlin haven't come in to address the media.

Tells me something's brewing.

I have confirmed the Steelers are trying to trade up in the second round for Unger.

With trade up for Unger dead, I like Jamon Meredith now in the second round. Craig Urbik and Antione Caldwell are also possibilities.[/quote:2t9lz4ab]

Moving up to get Unger in the area he was drafted would have required our #2, #3, and #5. He was taken at #49, which is worth 410 points. The 2.64 is worth 270, the 3.96 is worth 116, and the 5.168 is worth 24.2 (total points: 410.2)

Getting Hood and Unger would have been nice. But then our day 2 haul would only have consisted of a 4th rounder, the comp 5th pick, a 6th, and two 7ths. Now we have 3 third rounders (instead of zero had we made the Unger deal). If we make those picks count, it could be better value overall.

Coincidentally, the last time we were defending Super Bowl Champs following XL, we also traded the #64 pick for 2 third rounders (from the Vikings...they used our pick to take Tarvaris Jackson). However, we got Anthony Smith and Willie Reid with those picks. We MUST do better than that this time.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I am pretty surpised people aren't belly-aching more. Last year I was pulling for the Steelers to take Trevor Laws and was told he isn't a 3-4 DE because he was too short and he wouldn't fit into our system.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 09:50 AM
I am pretty surpised people aren't belly-aching more. Last year I was pulling for the Steelers to take Trevor Laws and was told he isn't a 3-4 DE because he was too short and he wouldn't fit into our system.

Trevor Laws is 6'1". Ziggy Hood is 6'3". Although, ideally, you would like your 3-4 DE's to be 6'5", you can live with 6'3". Ray Seals was 6'3" and was a successful 3-4 DE here. At 6'1", you'd need to add 25 lbs. and play NT.

flippy
04-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Repeat after me, "the Steelers are not changing the #1 defense in the NFL to a 43", "the Steelers are not changing the #1 defense in the NFL to a 43", "the Steelers are not changing the #1 defense in the NFL to a 43", etc, etc,... :moon :tt2

Pappy

Timmons, Woodley, and Ziggy are built to play the 4-3. We're 3/7ths of the way there.

We may not change now, but you never know when we might.

And we do play with 4 down lineman on occasion as it is now.

flippy
04-26-2009, 09:56 AM

Trevor Laws is 6'1". Ziggy Hood is 6'3". Although, ideally, you would like your 3-4 DE's to be 6'5", you can live with 6'3". Ray Seals was 6'3" and was a successful 3-4 DE here. At 6'1", you'd need to add 25 lbs. and play NT.

This guy is a bit of a tweener. And a better fit for a 4-3.

I'm sure we'll work him in to help the pass rush and then he'll fit into a 3-4 end spot in time.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Pappy

Timmons, Woodley, and Ziggy are built to play the 4-3. We're 3/7ths of the way there.

We may not change now, but you never know when we might.

And we do play with 4 down lineman on occasion as it is now.

Last I checked, Woodley was a pretty damn fine 3-4 OLB.

We play with 4 down lineman in nickel and dime situations. Always have.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-26-2009, 10:09 AM

This guy is a bit of a tweener. And a better fit for a 4-3.

I'm sure we'll work him in to help the pass rush and then he'll fit into a 3-4 end spot in time.

I thought I saw he was 6'1 3/8". Which was a lot more identical to Laws. 6'3" is doable. I liked Laws due to his national wrestling background. Thought that would have helped him use his leverage well against taller OT. Thought he would get up under them and know how to throw his weight around well. Plus he played in a 3-4 D so he would have some knowledge of it.

Apparently he didn't do much for Philly last year though so what do I know. I wish Hood the best and do think he could be a nice DE to have on the same side of the field as Harrison. All that speed, weight, and muscle flying toward OG, OT, TE, & RB trying to protect the QB might be quite a force to be reckoned with. Throw in Timmons speed playing over there and look out.

birtikidis
04-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I loved the articles. sounds like a steeler type guy.
was also surprised to find out we signed Ratliff. not sure how I feel about that...

Chavezz
04-26-2009, 02:10 PM

Pappy

While Wickerbasket LeBeau is the DC...