PDA

View Full Version : Evander "Ziggy" Hood at #32

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
I said that I wanted to go big and ugly and the team listened. However, I would have preferred Eben Britton, William Beatty, Max Unger, Ron Brace, Jarron Gilbert, etc. Ziggy seems like a 4-3 DT to me; he doesn't seem to fit our scheme. Ugh. I even would have picked non-big, non-ugly guys like Darius Butler, Rey Maualuga, Alphonso Smith, etc. over Hood. Hmmm...

Vindrow
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Ben best get used to getting sacked for the foreseeable future.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I will take it. Bet he will be solid for us.

SteelTorch
04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I said that I wanted to go big and ugly and the team listened. However, I would have preferred Eben Britton, William Beatty, Max Unger, Ron Brace, Jarron Gilbert, etc. Ziggy seems like a 4-3 DT to me; he doesn't seem to fit our scheme. Ugh. I even would have picked non-big, non-ugly guys like Darius Butler, Rey Maualuga, Alphonso Smith, etc. over Hood. Hmmm...
As an NT I don't really see him fitting, but do we make him a DE?

I dunno, I like the pick. We needed to get younger on the D-line. I just wish all the best OL prospects weren't picked. Sheesh, it's like a repeat of last year.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM
As an NT I don't really see him fitting, but do we make him a DE?

I dunno, I like the pick. We needed to get younger on the D-line. I just wish all the best OL prospects weren't picked. Sheesh, it's like a repeat of last year.
I'm thinking DE... I'm not sure he'd fit at NT...

anger 82&95
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
This is what Fox sports has to say: "The Steelers didn't reach, but simply took the best player on Kevin Colbert's draft board. Missouri defensive tackle Evander "Ziggy" Hood has 4.8 speed for a 6-3, 300-pounder. Hood has very good quickness for a tackling machine inside, plus 15 1/2 sacks in his college career."

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
This is what Fox sports has to say: "The Steelers didn't reach, but simply took the best player on Kevin Colbert's draft board. Missouri defensive tackle Evander "Ziggy" Hood has 4.8 speed for a 6-3, 300-pounder. Hood has very good quickness for a tackling machine inside, plus 15 1/2 sacks in his college career."
i tend to agree... we all wanted linemen, both sides of the ball, from this draft.

hood was the best "lineman" available.

Mel Blount's G
04-25-2009, 07:55 PM
3-4 DE was what I thought regarding him all along. Which is a need.

That said, I would have preferred Britton as protecting our huge inBenestment is an urgent need. Possibly unger or loadholt or Robinson or another 2-nd 3rd tier OL is there for us at 2.64. I hope.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Evander Hood (DT)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 300
College: Missouri
Conference: Big 12
Hometown: Amarillo, TX
High School: Palo Duro

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Evander_Hood.jpg

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 4.97 seconds
Bench Press : 34.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 33.0 inches
Broad Jump : 108.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.5 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.55 seconds

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/10/18/2008284017.jpg

Selected by: Pittsburgh Steelers
Round: 1
Pick (Overall): 32 (32)
Discuss Pick Analysis: The Steelers snag the energetic Hood at the bottom of the first round to upgrade their depth along the line. Though many pegged Hood as a "one-gap" interior tackle, his combination of strength and movement fit in nicely as a 3-4 defensive end. With the luxury of learning behind a veteran crew, Hood should develop into a starter in a year or two.

Overview
The secondary was the obvious weak link of the Tigers' defense the past two years, but with Hood in the trenches Missouri more than held its own up front. That unit allowed only 124.86 yards per game rushing in 2008, ranking second in the Big 12 Conference and 12th in the nation in tackles for loss, registering an average of 7.43 stops behind the line of scrimmage per game.

Called by head coach Gary Pinkel, "the most tenacious player on the team," Hood lived up to that reputation. Despite constantly battling double-team coverage, he collected 10 sacks, 15 stops behind the line of scrimmage and 16 quarterback pressures the last two seasons as the team's starting weak-side defensive tackle.

Hood was a highly-regarded athlete who excelled on defense and also played tight end for Palo Duro High School. He ranked as the No. 35 weak-side defensive end in the nation, according Rivals.com, and was named District 3-4A Defensive Player of the Year as a senior, when he registered 93 tackles and 13 sacks.

That season, Hood also scored three defensive touchdowns and recovered three fumbles. He earned All-District honors each of his last two years. He registered 76 tackles as a junior, including five sacks and also returned an interception for a touchdown. In addition to football, he threw the shot and discus for his school's track team.

Hood chose to attend Missouri in 2005, turning down scholarship offers from Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas-El Paso and Baylor, among others. The coaches were originally going to redshirt him, but in August camp Hood earned a spot with the second unit at weak-side defensive tackle, going on to play in 12 games. He was in on 23 tackles (13 solos), 1.5 sacks and 2.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

The sophomore seized a starting opportunity in 2006. In the third game vs. New Mexico he suffered a foot fracture that required surgery to insert a screw. The staff projected that he would be forced to miss the rest of the season, but each week Hood predicted he would be back the following game. He returned after just three games and played through the pain the remainder of the season. Hood went out and delivered 36 tackles (24 solos) that included four sacks, four pressures and two forced fumbles while playing weak-side tackle and nose guard. That was just the start of great things to come.

In 2007, Hood was named All-Big 12 Conference honorable mention. The weak-side tackle started all 14 games, coming up with 49 tackles (30 solos). Despite constant double coverage, he finished third on the squad with five sacks and had a career-high eight stops for losses. He caused three fumbles, recovered another and broke up five passes. After producing six tackles and 1.5 sacks vs. Arkansas in the Cotton bowl, Pinkel called that Hood's best game in a Tigers uniform.

Hood continued to be relentless in his pursuit of quarterbacks in 2008, as five of his 12 pressures caused interceptions. The team captain and All-Big 12 first-team choice was in on 62 tackles (31 solos) that included seven stops behind the line of scrimmage and five sacks. He also recovered two fumbles and blocked one kick.

High School
Attended Palo Duro (Amarillo, Texas) High School, playing football for head coach Steve Parr...Also played tight end...Ranked as the 35th-best weak-side defensive end in the nation, according to Rivals.com, and was named District 3-4A Defensive Player of the Year as a senior, when he registered 93 tackles and 13 sacks...That season, Hood also scored three defensive touchdowns and recovered three fumbles...Earned All-District honors each of his last two years...Registered 76 tackles as a junior, including five sacks and also returned an interception for a touchdown...In addition to football, he threw the shot and discus for his school's track team...Member of the National Honor Society.

Analysis
Positives: More than the sum of his parts. ... Legitimate NFL size. ... Plays with a passionate, physical style. ... Locates the ball quickly and pursues well down the line. ... Flashes initial burst off the snap and the lateral quickness to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. ... Recognizes the trap block and can burst through the hole to make the play behind the line of scrimmage. ... Physical at the point. ... Seems to enjoy the hand-to-hand combat in the trenches and doesn't back down from contact. ... Active hands and can disengage from blocks due to his hand play. ... Durable performer. ... Showed great toughness in 2006, missing only three games after breaking his foot and having a screw inserted, before returning to play the final seven games at less than 100 percent.

Negatives: Lacks the elite explosiveness or strength usually associated with highly rated defensive tackles. ... Only moderate initial quickness. ... Flashes the lateral quickness to elude and collapse the pocket, but is too inconsistent in that area. ... Often plays too high and loses leverage, negating his own strength and size. ... Missed three full games and parts of others in 2006 with a broken foot suffered midway through the season.

Compares To: JASON FERGUSON, Miami -- Like Ferguson, Hood plays well when lined up over the center's head. He needs to learn how to keep his pads down, as he has this nasty habit of popping up at the snap, leaving his chest exposed for the physical block. He has good lateral agility and uses his hand jolt effectively to push the blocker back, redirect and shoot the gaps. When he moves down the line, he is quick to pick up schemes and plays with urgency to prevent the ball carrier from turning the corner. He will often face multiple blockers and would be more effective shedding them, if he can improve his pad level.

Injury Report
2006: Suffered a right foot fracture vs. New Mexico (9/16), undergoing surgery two days later to have a screw inserted and was forced to sit out the Ohio University (9/23), Colorado (9/30) and Texas Tech (10/07) games.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

http://www.amarillo.com/images/011308/53259_270.jpg

Steelerphile
04-25-2009, 08:03 PM
The Steelers needed D-Line, definitely. They can't address every need with one pick. Reaction tends to be negative but I don't see why. I don't know him well except as a name in the draft guide. The people who say they should have taken someone else probably don't either.

I like the pick from what I know. Yippee!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I didn't like the pick because I never considered Hood to be a 3-4 DE. However, everything else about him sounds very Steeler-like, so I will trust our front office. He is a couple inches shorter than you would expect a 3-4 DE to be, but guess who else is a couple inches shorter than the prototypical guy at his position? James Harrison.

Snatch98
04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
3-4 DE was what I thought regarding him all along. Which is a need.

That said, I would have preferred Britton as protecting our huge inBenestment is an urgent need. Possibly unger or loadholt or Robinson or another 2-nd 3rd tier OL is there for us at 2.64. I hope.

Not much reason to believe we won't be able to get one of those guys in the 2nd round besides Britton who is already off the board.

steelers43
04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Love the pick! Thought he had a nice chance to fall and glad he did.

MaxAMillion
04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I like the pick a lot. Hood is a better interior pass rusher right now compared to all the other DT on the team. He can rotate behind Smith on run downs and play on passing downs. He offers a lot at #32.

buckeyehoppy
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
This pick only makes sense if Ziggy goes as a DE. He has a sub-4.9 40 time...that's a good measurable to equate to a DE.

He has a year to learn. He wouldn't start right away anyhow and he'll learn behind two of the best in Smitty and Keese.

Another "I'll pass judgment later" pick. But the Steelers needed youth on the line. This pick delivers that.

jrobitaille23
04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
from my perspective...he is better than Tyson Jackson who was selected 29 picks earlier as far as 5 techniques go. I think it is a steal to get the best 3/4 DE in the draft for the last pick. Seriously, how is this not a great pick. He will be depth at the very minimum for this year and talent wise is already better than our DEs and ten years younger. Congrats FO on another great pick. The only remaining CB that would fit our style is Smith and maybe he drops to end of 2nd. Butler is not a Steeler kinda football player. We all have to remember that we addressed C with Lezursky and T with Hills. We won with the same group last year so we just need to make sure we have capable replacements in case we lose some of them and maybe an upgrade at G which we still may get with Duke Robinson. Let's see. I am geeked.

TallyStiller
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Best talent available at a thin position where we have significant need. Nice physical skills, and we can mold him into a 3 - 4 DE. We can get by with mediocre in the middle - we won 11 out of 12 with Hoke at NT after Fat Casey got hurt in '04. On the other hand, we were God AWFUL against the run, giving up a string of 100 yard games after Smitty got hurt in '07. So tell me which position needs to be shored up for the future... and then go and pick the guy who has the size to anchor against the run on 1st and 2nd downs and will contribute some sacks against the pass on 3rd.

There's a lot more O line later in this draft than there is D line. I could see us grabbing Laoadholt, Levitre, Beatty, Meredith, or Caldwell with the 64th if it keeps going as it is now... with far fewer potential names on the D line available.

steelers43
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
This pick only makes sense if Ziggy goes as a DE. He has a sub-4.9 40 time...that's a good measurable to equate to a DE.

He has a year to learn. He wouldn't start right away anyhow and he'll learn behind two of the best in Smitty and Keese.

Another "I'll pass judgment later" pick. But the Steelers needed youth on the line. This pick delivers that.

He'll rotate next year and help the line stay fresh and be a starter soon.

He's a steal imo.

Chadman
04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Hard to argue with a FO that consistantly delivers with it's early picks.

Hood has the career record to back up everything written about him. Chadman had removed him from calculations based on him being 6'3".

Chadman should have known better.

Very happy with the pick.

On a side note- Chadman's 'pick', Louis Delmas, goes 1 pick later...

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM

So does this mean the Steelers are planning a switch to the 4-3 sometime in the near future? :stirpot

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
they traded away #64... that was a letdown... i coulda stopped watching 2 hours ago

BURGH86STEEL
04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Seems like the guy has a good attitude.

http://news.steelers.com/article/104795/

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 11:23 PM
2009 PITTSBURGH STEELERS DRAFT
APRIL 25, 2009
DAY ONE WRAP-UP PRESS CONFERENCE

Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin

Kevin Colbert: Thank you guys for sticking around. The action in the second round got fast and furious. Quite honestly, we were entertaining trying to go up. Really, we didn’t want to vacate the premises. We are extremely excited and happy to get a young man like Evander “Ziggy” Hood. I think that is the last time that you will hear him referred to as Evander. He goes by Ziggy; I think that is the name of his grandmother. He is a special guy – he really is. That was evident the first time that we met this kid. We liked him from a football standpoint when we saw him play in the fall. It was exciting to see him available when we were picking at (number) 32. He was just somebody that we felt good about from the first time that we scouted him until when we saw him at the Senior Bowl. When we met up with him at the Combine, everything kept adding up that this is a high-quality player and person. The nice thing is that he is a defensive lineman. He has a lot of versatility. We think that he can play defensive end; we think he can help at nose in our scheme; we think he can be a real good inside pass rusher in our sub (packages). I am probably over-stepping my bounds so I will let the coach expound on that. Again, he is a high-quality guy. He has already graduated. There are so many superlatives about this kid that we are excited to get him in here and get to work.

Coach Mike Tomlin: Ziggy Hood is a Steeler type of player – there are no holes in this guy. We felt good about the information that we acquired on this man after the Combine that he really wasn’t under consideration to come in here for a visit. He is a high character guy; he plays; he has a hot motor. He loves the game of football. He was described by many members of his team who went high today as their guy. He is a captain, leader and good football player. We are excited to add him to our fold. He is a guy that will fit in pretty quickly from a personality standpoint. What he is capable of doing on the football field will help us.

Why did you trade down?
KC: It was a chance to pick up some extra picks. It was a nice group of guys left and rather just taking one of those guys a think we will have a good chance at getting three. It was inviting. Like I said hopefully we’ll come out of it with three quality guys tomorrow.

When you were trying to trade up were you searching for a certain guy?
KC: No not really there were guys, not just one player. There were still players up there that we valued more than were we were picking at that point, and that is why we were willing to go up. Really nothing ever materialized, teams said they would call you back, and they would call you back and say they were going to make a pick. We were willing to stay there to see if anybody would. I said last Monday we may trade up, we may trade down. We got to the point were we looked at what was left in the second round and thought this was the better option, the Denver deal.

Was it unexpected that Ziggy was still there at the bottom of the first round?
KC: We knew it would be close. High-quality defensive lineman, we were excited that he was there at 32. Surprised, probably pleasantly surprised, yes. Did we think it was impossible, no, but the probability, I didn’t feel good about the probability of him making it down to us.

Can you confirm the Hines Ward contract extension?
KC: No, we don’t have any signed contract so we won’t confirm anything at this point.

RE: Ziggy is a little different than the typical 3-4 ends that you use.
MT: I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. This is a 6’3” 300-pound man. There are not many of those body types, he was one of the few. We are very comfortable with his capability of playing a 5-technique in a 3-4 defense.

Will you line him up initially at right or left end?
MT: We will let him get in where he fits in. He will have some quality people to work behind in Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. Hopefully, if he has a little position flexibility, that will help him get on the grass.

Did you struggle at all in the first round picking between and offensive or a defensive lineman?
KC: We had several options as it unfolded. This kid was certainly one of the options that we were really interested in. There were a lot of quality players that came off before us. Again – I said this before – there were plenty of guys that could help this team. He was one of them. When we looked at him when we did our own mock situations, we thought if this guy is available, he is somebody we would want. There were several guys like that. Realistically, there were four or five guys that we would have felt good about getting at 32, and he was one of them.

pfelix73
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, obviously, the Steelers brass consider him a 3-4 DE and so did I all along. Same with Gilbert. I just didn't think Hood would be there at 32.

Good job, Colbert and Co.

:tt1

papillon
04-26-2009, 08:30 AM
from my perspective...he is better than Tyson Jackson who was selected 29 picks earlier as far as 5 techniques go. I think it is a steal to get the best 3/4 DE in the draft for the last pick. Seriously, how is this not a great pick. He will be depth at the very minimum for this year and talent wise is already better than our DEs and ten years younger. Congrats FO on another great pick. The only remaining CB that would fit our style is Smith and maybe he drops to end of 2nd. Butler is not a Steeler kinda football player. We all have to remember that we addressed C with Lezursky and T with Hills. We won with the same group last year so we just need to make sure we have capable replacements in case we lose some of them and maybe an upgrade at G which we still may get with Duke Robinson. Let's see. I am geeked.

The Steelers selection of Ziggy Hood is an excellent selection; however, he is not better than Aaron Smith right now. He will add depth to the defensive line in case of injury, but, hopefully, he'll get to learn just like other Steeler first round picks and not be expected to contribute immediately. There's a reason Steeler picks look seasoned once they get their chance and it's because the Steelers don't typically throw a rookie into the fire,

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 08:38 AM

The Steelers selection of Ziggy Hood is an excellent selection; however, he is not better than Aaron Smith right now. He will add depth to the defensive line in case of injury, but, hopefully, he'll get to learn just like other Steeler first round picks and not be expected to contribute immediately. There's a reason Steeler picks look seasoned once they get their chance and it's because the Steelers don't typically throw a rookie into the fire,

Pappy

Oh absolutely. Of all of the positions on our team, 3-4 DE may take the most adjustment, because guys have simply never played it before in college. In time, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel learned the scheme and adjusted but it certainly did not happen overnight. Guys like Ryan McBean and Orien Harris were never able to adjust. Hopefully Hood is a quick enough study (and by all indications he is), that he might be able to start by 2010 if we are not able to re-sign Keisel (I still would like to bring back Keisel beyond this season in order to have a quality d-line rotation that keeps guys fresh, which is particularly useful since Aaron Smith isn't getting any younger and we don't want to burn him out...but we'll see what happens). As a rookie, Hood will likely only be a rotational back-up (as it should be). He may play inside at DT in nickel and dime situations which require a 4 man d-line, where all that he has to worry about is providing pressure up the middle instead of worrying about all of the run responsibilities in LeBeau's base 3-4.

papillon
04-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Pappy

Oh absolutely. Of all of the positions on our team, 3-4 DE may take the most adjustment, because guys have simply never played it before in college. In time, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel learned the scheme and adjusted but it certainly did not happen overnight. Guys like Ryan McBean and Orien Harris were never able to adjust. Hopefully Hood is a quick enough study (and by all indications he is), that he might be able to start by 2010 if we are not able to re-sign Keisel (I still would like to bring back Keisel beyond this season in order to have a quality d-line rotation that keeps guys fresh, which is particularly useful since Aaron Smith isn't getting any younger and we don't want to burn him out...but we'll see what happens). As a rookie, Hood will likely only be a rotational back-up (as it should be). He may play inside at DT in nickel and dime situations which require a 4 man d-line, where all that he has to worry about is providing pressure up the middle instead of worrying about all of the run responsibilities in LeBeau's base 3-4.

Here's another question about Hood. Can he play NT? He's 6'3" and 300 pounds, it also appears that another 20-25 pouonds wouldn't make him look sloppy. Any chance this guy can move inside in the 34? After all he was an inside tackle in the 43.

Pappy

BigLebowski
04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Right now I think it is a good pick, but in a few years it will turn out to be a great pick.

Chadman
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Check this draft site's write up on Ziggy.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... r-Hood.php (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Evander-Hood.php)

Watch the video at the bottom. Didn't the Steelers show a lot of interest in Alex Mack at the combine?

After watching this video Chadman wonders if the Steelers might not have been watching someone else....

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Pappy

Here's another question about Hood. Can he play NT? He's 6'3" and 300 pounds, it also appears that another 20-25 pouonds wouldn't make him look sloppy. Any chance this guy can move inside in the 34? After all he was an inside tackle in the 43.

Pappy

I don't think so on a full time basis. However, perhaps situationally, like we used to use Kimo on the nose every so often. Hood is more like Kimo than Keisel or Smith, I think. Actually, even moreso than that, he reminds me a bit of Ray Seals. Seals had more pass-rush ability than the average 3-4 DE, and Seals was also 6'3". Seals was very effective in the 3-4.

mshifko
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM
i like the pick...wanted to go elsewhere also, but i trust our drafting over the years...ziggy has a motor and i think will fit right in at a 34 end...

Sugar
04-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Check this draft site's write up on Ziggy.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... r-Hood.php (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Evander-Hood.php)

Watch the video at the bottom. Didn't the Steelers show a lot of interest in Alex Mack at the combine?

After watching this video Chadman wonders if the Steelers might not have been watching someone else....

Good vid- I liked this part at the end of the write-up: "Extremely coachable...Hard worker...Team leader."

BigLebowski
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
i like the pick...wanted to go elsewhere also, but i trust our drafting over the years...ziggy has a motor and i think will fit right in at a 34 end...

Agreed, mshifko, and with his character, the sky is the limit. :Steel