steelsun7
04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
4yr/22mil per espn news

pittpete
04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
cant verify this?

AkronSteel
04-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I believe I said a couple of weeks ago that Hines would be the next one to get an extension. It just makes sense because he was due somewhere around 9 million this year and now the team will have the funds to extend Heath or whoever else they desire. This is a great move.....the day is starting out well now just go get some help for in the trenches and we are looking pretty good moving forward!!

:Clap

Mister Pittsburgh
04-25-2009, 03:44 PM
"Great move by the second best management team in professional sports!" -Bob Nutting

Vindrow
04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Link? I can't find anything on the internet about this.

calmkiller
04-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Truth

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4099845

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

The Pittsburgh Steelers wanted to make sure Hines Ward would complete what he had started -- one of the great receiving careers in Steelers history.

Ward agreed and signed a four-year, $22 million contract extension that will allow him to stay a Steeler the rest of his career, according to a source. Ward was scheduled to be a free agent after the season. He is now signed through 2013.

The deal also frees up valuable cap room for the team.

The 33-year-old Ward has 800 career catches for 9,780 yards and 72 touchdowns.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

pittpete
04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4099845

Heres the link, lets hope Hiney stays healthy

BradshawsHairdresser
04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
If Gary Russell had to be cut to re-sign Charlie Batch to a modest contract, who is taking the axe so Hines' contract could be extended?

calmkiller
04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
No one has to get the ax, this most likely frees up cap space. Hines was counting 7 million against the cap.

Also Russell was released because he was at a friends house that was raided for Weed.

Vindrow
Nice...I wonder how much this frees up for the cap?

1.5 million?

Ozey74
This is great news!! I'd hate to see him end his career with another team.

:tt2

Eddie Spaghetti
04-25-2009, 03:52 PM
solid.

i'm glad he will retire in a steelers uniform.

AkronSteel
04-25-2009, 03:53 PM
If Gary Russell had to be cut to re-sign Charlie Batch to a modest contract, who is taking the axe so Hines' contract could be extended?

No one.......this extension frees up cap room, it does not add cap!!! This is a great move for multiple reasons, 1) Hines get to finish his career as a Steeler, exactly how it should be, and 2) It frees up cap to make it possible to sign another of their stars, i.e. Heath Miller, to an extension!!!

Great move FO, they are making noise alot during draft week! Good to see!!

:tt1

costanza2k1
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
This rocks! I wonder what the rush was...is a trade in the works to bring someone in?

pittpete
04-25-2009, 03:59 PM
WR Hines Ward
2009 BASE SALARY $5,800,000.00
2009 CAP HIT$7,800,000.00

pittpete
04-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Draft Day Trades Likely For The Steelers
Filed under: 2009 Draft, Article Tags: compensatory draft picks admin @ 9:15 pm

The Steelers currently have 9 draft picks for this weekends 2009 NFL draft, but do not be surprised if they come out of the draft with only 6 or 7 players. The likelihood of the Steelers trading away a few picks to move up in the early or middle rounds of the draft is a high probability. The Steelers are strapped salary cap wise and do not need the burden of having to sign 9 players. There will likely be a slew of 8 to 10 undrafted players signed after the draft as well. There are always teams willing to trade down in the middle of the first round and other teams like Dallas that want back in round one. If the Steelers do in fact trade up in round one, it will likely cost them their first two picks to do so. On the flip side they could trade out of round one for a future year pick and then package a few later round picks to move back up on the second day of the draft. The Steelers overall do a great job at scouting talent, so 4 good selections out of 6 picks this weekend will serve the franchise well. If all 9 picks are held this weekend, it would be the biggest surprise of the off-season.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
This rocks! I wonder what the rush was...is a trade in the works to bring someone in?

Perhaps a mid-round pick for Roscoe Parrish? Between him and Keiwan Ratliff, you get some depth at CB and WR after losing BMac and Nate, both of which have return experience. That would open things up to go big and go ugly, early and often.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-25-2009, 04:04 PM

No one.......this extension frees up cap room, it does not add cap!!! This is a great move for multiple reasons, 1) Hines get to finish his career as a Steeler, exactly how it should be, and 2) It frees up cap to make it possible to sign another of their stars, i.e. Heath Miller, to an extension!!!

Good to hear. Will this move free up enough cap room to sign our first couple of draft picks?

AkronSteel
04-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Good to hear. Will this move free up enough cap room to sign our first couple of draft picks?

I would think it would free up anywhere between 1.5 to 3 million dollars!

Steel Life
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
This takes WR off the board in the 1st & 2nd I would assume.

Great signing...it accomplishes at least 4 things -
1. Allows Hines to retire a Steeler.
2. Frees up cap space.
3. Solidifies the depth chart
4. Frees up options in the draft with WR no longer a high priority.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
This takes WR off the board in the 1st & 2nd I would assume.

Great signing...it accomplishes at least 4 things -
1. Allows Hines to retire a Steeler.
2. Frees up cap space.
3. Solidifies the depth chart
4. Frees up options in the draft with WR no longer a high priority.

Good point.