PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual Seven-Round PlanetSteelers "On The Clock" MyDraft

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I tried doing this last year on the Trib, but the site kept crashing during the draft because of the high volume of users, so it could not go off as planned.

Here is the deal:

Everyone on here will spend next week coming up with countless "this is what I would have done" drafts after the fact. It is easy to come up with a great "coulda-shoulda-woulda" draft when the entire draft has been completed and you have 20-20 hindsight to see where certain players ended up falling.

Kevin Colbert does not have this benefit when the draft is in progress, though. For instance, if he really wants someone like Jarron Gilbert, but does not think he will be available at 64, he might have to bite the bullet and take him at 32 instead (or work the phones for a possible trade up or trade down, of course). If you waited until Monday to do a post-draft mock, you would know exactly where a guy Gilbert fell, and could adjust your draft construction process accordingly. Drafting is much easier if you had all of that information at the time you were picking. When we took Timmons at 15 a couple of years ago, nobody knew that Woodley would be available in round 2 as well. If Colbert had that advanced knowledge, might he have gone a different direction in round one?

The best indicator of your virtual GM prowess on a message board is to make your "this is who I would pick" choice every time the Steelers are actually on the clock (don't wait until after the entire draft is through to tell us what you would have done, you wimps!). As soon as Arizona makes its pick at #31 and before Detroit makes its pick at #33, you should log on to this thread, and post your own personal preferred choice at that time. You can do it before the Steelers hand in their card or immediately afterward (but before the next team selects), either agreeing with whoever Colbert and company picked or disagreeing. But just make sure that you get it in during the time when the Steelers are actually on the clock so everyone is working under the same conditions as the team.

If the team trades up or down, you are at the mercy of where we end up (i.e. you cannot project your own trades here and cannot say "I would have just stayed at 32 and taken ______ instead of trading" or anything like that).

For subsequent rounds, please include all of your previous picks in this MyDraft in every post giving your latest pick, so that by the end, we will have a full picture of your entire draft class (and for the utterly insane among us, you could even suggest priority UDFA signings that you would like to target after the entire NFL draft is complete).

I hope this makes sense, and I hope a bunch of folks post their MyDraft on here. I will likely be in the chat room with everybody during the majority of the draft, but I will make it a point to come back here and post an official MyDraft selection on this thread in each round during our time on the clock. And since a MyDraft is not a Mock Draft, even a mock draft virgin like MJG can play! :mrgreen:

SteelCzar76
04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Rey,...by the football gods,.....Rey !!! :tt1 :tt2 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 07:29 PM
We just got rid of a #77 from Arizona State. We replace him with a #77 from Arizona.

Eben Britton (OT)
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 309
College: Arizona

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 5.16 seconds
Bench Press : 24.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 28.5 inches
Broad Jump : 100.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.87 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.91 seconds

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qjCoAi_O8oE/Sb3WF3QSTII/AAAAAAAAA7I/tTTBWUOFW-0/s320/eben_britton_385.jpg http://www.azstarnet.com/ss/2009/02/19/280881-1.jpg

Positives: Rare size and wingspan. Good initial hand punch and can physically control his opponent when he locks on. Cognizant pass blocker who recognizes the blitz and adjusts quickly. Flashes a deep kick-step to force pass rushers wide. Adequate lateral agility to mirror the pass rusher to remain at tackle. Forceful run blocker. Despite his height, can play with leverage in the running game and drive defenders off the line. Only marginal agility in the open field, but can eliminate defenders with intimidating pancake blocks. Leader of the line. Started 37 consecutive games.

Negatives: Protected as a pass blocker by the Arizona spread scheme and athleticism of his quarterback. Lacks the elite foot speed of top left tackles and will struggle in pass protection if he lines up at the OLT position in the NFL. Too often allows pass rushers to get their hands into his chest and can be walked back to the quarterback, despite his strength. Lumbers when blocking on the move and will resort to lunging at the defender in open space.

SteelCzar76
04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Ziggy Hood over Rey ? WTF !!!

pittpete
04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
E.Britton = J.Capizzi

SteelerOfDeVille
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Ziggy Hood over Rey ? WTF !!!
i sorta expected a bpa draft, too...

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
After taking Eben Britton in round 1, I would take Jarron Gilbert in round 2 and go to bed after the first day in the draft as a very happy man.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
After taking Eben Britton in round 1, I would take Jarron Gilbert in round 2 and go to bed after the first day in the draft as a very happy man.

I picked too soon. After the trade, I will have a "do-over" tomorrow, since I am bound to whatever trades the team makes.

I was hoping more folks would have done this MyDraft thing, since I was curious to see who everyone would pick in real time. I guess I will unsticky this, since we don't have a whole bunch of folks playing like I had hoped.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
In the real-life draft, I would have followed up Hood with OT Jamon Meredith. But in this draft, since I already picked an OT in Britton, I think the BPA would be CB D.J. Moore from Vandy here.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
MyDraft so far would be:

1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Since I didn't address the d-line yet, I gotta go with the small school kid from Stillman.

1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG
3.96 Sammie Lee Hill NT

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 03:52 PM
1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG
3.96 Sammie Lee Hill NT
5.168 Rashard Jennings RB
5.169 A.Q. Shipley C

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG
3.96 Sammie Lee Hill NT
5.169 A.Q. Shipley C
6.205 Quan Cosby WR

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG
3.96 Sammie Lee Hill NT
5.169 A.Q. Shipley C
6.205 Quan Cosby WR
7.226 Zach Potter DE

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG
3.96 Sammie Lee Hill NT
5.169 A.Q. Shipley C
6.205 Quan Cosby WR
7.226 Zach Potter DE
7.241 Everette Pendescleaux DE

Since I waited until the 7th to take a 3-4 DE, I might as well take 2 of them and hope one sticks.