PDA

View Full Version : Why don't teams pass on the early picks?

flippy
04-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Given 40% of draf picks pan out in the 1st round and the top 10 teams have to shell out megabucks for draft picks, why doesn't somebody just pass on their pick?

And wait to pick until the slot where they see value relative to the dollars they must spend and submit their pick at that time.

It would make the whole draft uncomfortable for everyone.

Teams couldn't screw around using the whole clock trying to trade because there'd always be a threat of the team that passed submitting their pick at any time.

Imagine if 2 teams passed?

You could pass and try to trade your pick while you wait.

You could let any team jump any team in the draft and submit a pick immediately before the current team on the clock.

I'd like to see someone do this.

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2009, 09:46 AM
The Vikings did it! haha Now, when you miss your draft selection and someone jumps ahead of you...you've been Vikinged.

phillyesq
04-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Didn't the Vikings do it two years in a row? Unintentionally both times, if I remember.

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it was just two picks in a row.

Uglies! Uglies! Uglies!

frankthetank1
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Didn't the Vikings do it two years in a row? Unintentionally both times, if I remember.

that was hillarious. imagine how pissed we would be if the steelers fell asleep at the wheel like that

Northern_Blitz
04-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I think when the Viks did it the agent still argued that they were picked in their original spot. I don't think they saved too much money by waiting. Not sure though.

stlrz d
04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
You really think the players' agents will fall for that?