PDA

View Full Version : Draft Strateegery - DeVille's plan

SteelerOfDeVille
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
My apologies if this idea is duplicated - haven't been around much, but, have been giving some thought to the draft from a high-level perspective.

The team is so strong and deep at most positions over the last few years that not many players make the team (see the "steelers 3rd worst drafting team" article from a couple of weeks ago).

In any event, 9 picks have no chance at making this team.. anything more than 4 or 5 new faces would be a surprise to me.

Having said that, I expect the team to "consolidate" selections. In other words, lump a 3rd and 5th to get a higher 3rd and therefore a better player. I also expect the team to trade away a pick or two for little or nothing.

That being the case, I'm hoping for a draft that looks a lot like

1.32 - Alex Mack. If he's there, he's consensus selection for the team
2.?? - Fili Moala. Trade up and draft.
3.?? - Mike Mickens - Trade up and draft.
5.?? - Tyronne Green, OG, Auburn
7.?? - Terrence Knighton, NT, Temple

flippy
04-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I know it's not exciting, but we could always trade for picks next year when we might need them considering how many FAs we'll have.

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Uglies! Uglies! Uglies!

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I know it's not exciting, but we could always trade for picks next year when we might need them considering how many FAs we'll have.

I've always liked the idea of trading, for example, our 4th rounder this year for another team's 3rd round next year (there always seem to be sucker teams willing to mortgage their future like this), and this year might be a great time to do that, since 2010 may be the last draft without a revised rookie salary structure, meaning more players will declare early to take advantage of the last year of the old rules where rookies are overpaid, thereby making the 2010 draft possibly one of the deepest talent pools in recent memory.

frankthetank1
04-25-2009, 11:19 AM

thats a very good idea however i think this draft is just as important. i would feel better putting 2nd year players in a starting role apposed to rookies

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree, it is critical that we get 3-4 good players this year that can take over as starters next year, although we do have too many picks. Concentrate those picks on fewer but better prospects.

MeetJoeGreene
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
That is an excellent mock draft stateegery.