04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Steelers have signed DB Keiwan Ratliff

http://www.profootballtalk.com

SteelerNation1
04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
He actually played well for INdy last year. Guess no CB in round 1

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Bengals drafted him in the 2nd round, the year we took Ricardo Colclough. 2004, or what I like to call, Ben's draft.

jj28west
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know if he just played nickel? I know 40 times and game speed are two different things but a 4.65 in the 40 at his combine 6 yrs ago scares me. We already have Deshea (sp) and Bryant for the inside. Then again how can I question the FO the past few years.

stlrz d
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Bengals drafted him in the 2nd round, the year we took Ricardo Colclough. 2004, or what I like to call, Ben's draft.

Me too!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
In addition to CB depth, he does have some experience returning punts (88 punt returns for 629 yards...7.1 career average in the NFL). His wiki page notes that during his time with Gators, he set a school record for punt return yards (860).

BradshawsHairdresser
04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Typical solid Steelers FA pickup. Now we won't have to target CB in the early rounds of the draft.

steelernation77
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking we go CB in round 3. Let Ratliff and Townsend provide depth behind Gay and the rookie develop. In a year, he should be able to step in to the spot behind Gay. Year or two after that, compete with Gay for the starting job.

Iron Shiek
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Solid signing, I'm down with it. Under Tomlin/Lebeau tutelage, he should be solid contributor. I'm comfortable with our CB's for the upcoming year...still gotta look towards the future though.

Snatch98
04-24-2009, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't say this means we don't draft a DB early. It could be a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

MaxAMillion
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I still think the Steelers will draft a corner early. Ratliff is probably signed for depth. I could see Butler being drafted in round one.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Just for depth. Veteran guy who can play at this level.

flippy
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Now I really like picking Macho Harris a little later who I really think is a play maker that could develop at the next level.

calmkiller
04-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Who did we release to sign him? Is he making less than $440,000?

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Who did we release to sign him? Is he making less than $440,000?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_621866.html

Steelers' Taylor restructures deal
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Steelers continue to re-sign their players using a familiar formula.

For the second consecutive year, starting cornerback Ike Taylor has restructured his contract to create more salary cap space.

Agent Joel Segal confirmed that Taylor, a Pro Bowl alternate last season who signed a five-year, $23.75 million extension in 2006, reduced his 2009 base salary of $3.5 million recently.

"There was a minor restructure," Segal, Taylor's new representative, said Wednesday.

By converting some of Taylor's base salary into a signing bonus, the Steelers were able to come up with more money to sign players.

Last week, the Steelers re-signed Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison to a six-year, $51.175 million contract - the largest deal for a defensive player in franchise history.

On Monday, a week after Harrison's signing, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the Steelers released running back Gary Russell so they could re-sign quarterback Charlie Batch.

"We were very, very tight, and we actually couldn't add Charlie without deleting somebody," Colbert said. "With the uncertainty of the (collective bargaining agreement), it's harder to manipulate not only new contracts but some of the stuff you used to do to create (salary cap) room as far as guaranteeing and turning it into a signing bonus."

Taylor's willingness to restructure his contract paid off last year when he reduced his $4.1 million base salary by $3 million also in the form of a signing bonus so the Steelers could come to terms with first-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall.

Taylor, the highest-paid cornerback in franchise history, has two years remaining on his current deal. He led Steelers corners in passes defensed in 2008 while covering a talented group of receivers that included Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne and T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

"Any time a high character guy like Ike asks you to represent him, it's flattering and exciting. He's an elite corner," said Segal, who also represents Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes. "You haven't seen the best of him yet."

Jom112
04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope you guys like giving up deep passes and CB's who tackle worse than Deon Sanders.

In all seriousness, he's been improving. He played well in Indy but I don't think he fits your system. He's not physical and he takes a lot of risks, so while he might lead your team in INT's, he'll also lead your team in deep passes given up. I would compare him to another ex-Indy CB, Jason "Toast" David, but younger and more athletic.

As for punt returns, he has sure hands (At least when he was with us) but will dance around a lot after he makes the catch, so don't expect a good punt return average...

frankthetank1
04-24-2009, 03:16 PM

I hope you guys like giving up deep passes and CB's who tackle worse than Deon Sanders.

In all seriousness, he's been improving. He played well in Indy but I don't think he fits your system. He's not physical and he takes a lot of risks, so while he might lead your team in INT's, he'll also lead your team in deep passes given up. I would compare him to another ex-Indy CB, Jason "Toast" David, but younger and more athletic.

As for punt returns, he has sure hands (At least when he was with us) but will dance around a lot after he makes the catch, so don't expect a good punt return average...

he will be fine in nickel and dime packages going up against #3 and #4 wr's. good sign. i still hope they draft macho harris in the later rounds

AngryAsian
04-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I remember him being a very physical CB for Florida and even won a SEC defensive player of the year during his collegiate career. He plays very similar to Ike in his physicality, and I like his PR skills that are sorely needed.

Sugar
04-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Well, the good news is that if anybody in the league can "coach up" a wayward DB, it would be Tomlin/LeBeau! :tt2

TallyStiller
04-24-2009, 05:01 PM

Well, the good news is that if anybody in the league can "coach up" a wayward DB, it would be Tomlin/LeBeau! :tt2

Exactly what I was thinking... guy has good raw ability, and now he's going to get coached up in playing the Steeler way. He's a relatively young veteran, too... going into his 6th year - I could see us getting by with only a late round Joe Burnett/Tony Carter type of pick this year, with Ike, Gay, Deshea as the top 3, and Bryant, Ratliff, rookie and Madison fighting for 4/5 and ST's roles. I like it.

phillyesq
04-24-2009, 06:02 PM
I like the signing. Given the cap situation, it almost has to be at or near the vet minimum, so there is no risk. Ratliff gives another option at CB. I'm not counting on him to be much more than a dime guy, but it never hurts to have veteran cbs.

I don't think we can predict whether this effects the draft. It could mean that the Steelers really like a corner and are using the signing as a smokescreen. It could mean they don't like any corners early so they wanted to grab a veteran. Or it could mean nothing at all.

SteelStallion
04-24-2009, 06:55 PM
I like the signing. Given the cap situation, it almost has to be at or near the vet minimum, so there is no risk. Ratliff gives another option at CB. I'm not counting on him to be much more than a dime guy, but it never hurts to have veteran cbs.

I don't think we can predict whether this effects the draft. It could mean that the Steelers really like a corner and are using the signing as a smokescreen. It could mean they don't like any corners early so they wanted to grab a veteran. Or it could mean nothing at all.

I think it's the latter. It probably means nothing at all in terms of the draft. But it's another option for them to look at. Bummer...there'll be no tidbit that unlocks the secrets to tomorrow but the torture of waiting is the fun :lol: