PDA

View Full Version : Chadman's Final Mock 2009!

Chadman
04-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Round 1.

FS Louis Delmas Western Michigan

Round 2.

OG Herman Johnson LSU

Round 3.

DE Corvey Irvin Georgia

Round 4.

C A.Q. Shipley Penn St

Round 5a)

CB Lardarius Webb Nicholls St

Round 5b)

WR Quan Cosby Texas

Round 6)

RB Frank Summers UNLV

Round 7a)

DE Will Johnson Michigan

Round 7b)

OG C.J. Davis Pittsburgh

There you have it. A mix of visited players, BPA's, roll players & needs.

Oracle
04-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Chadman -

i think your draft gives good value, but i don't think it represents the position priority the steeler's front office has.

we've got 2 tackles whose contracts are expire this year. we have to address that earlier.

and we probably need a true corner before a safety.

don't get me wrong, i think they're good players, i just think the front office is ranking their positions as different priorities.

Chadman
04-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Chadman -

i think your draft gives good value, but i don't think it represents the position priority the steeler's front office has.

we've got 2 tackles whose contracts are expire this year. we have to address that earlier.

and we probably need a true corner before a safety.

don't get me wrong, i think they're good players, i just think the front office is ranking their positions as different priorities.

That's OK Oracle- we are not all meant to agree. Chadman will ask you this though-

How do you figure the FO has OT as a priority based on the visits they had? The highest placed OT to walk through the Steelers doors was Phil Loadholt. And Kevin Colbert said the other day that OT was heavy in the top half of the first round, but that the talent fell away after that. Going on the evidence, OG/OC seems to be a higher priority.

And the CB vs S debate- the Steelers are set at #1 & #2 CB beyond 2009 with Taylor & Gay. The Steelers have 1- yep, 1- Safety on the books beyond 2009. And Ryan Clark will be 30 this season. Also- look again at the visits- 2 Safeties came in- Delmas & Sherrod Martin- both will be gone by #64. So either they wasted two visits, or are going to place themselves in position to grab a Safety early. If you look at CB- they had several 1st/2nd round guys, then a bunch of mid round to late round guys. Far greater coverage spread on talent with the CB visits than Safety.

Oracle
04-24-2009, 05:39 AM
As far as OT goes, I believe Colbert is putting up a completely blatant, over dramatic, bordering on ridiculous, smokescreen. I think he got burned with Revis and ever since then he's been much more deceptive with his visits/information leakage. He said after the draft last year that Mendenhall was one of the 2 prospects who "if he slipped, we would not entertain trade offers". He planned/hoped Rashard would slip from the beginning, yet he did not bring him in for an interview. Don't you think it's slightly odd that we have both our starting tackles going into the last year of their contracts and he's brought in only one OT to visit? That smells too fishy to me personally. I think Colbert has big/early plans at OT in this years draft and he's trying to disguise it.

As for safety/cornerback, it's a very interesting point you make. From the evidence (official visit, roster depth, etc) the logic is definitely there. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying I believe this is a weak draft for top talent cornerbacks (and that's including 40 times, physical measurements, interceptions, big school experience, etc) so I don't think the first round value is there. For example, Ndami Asomua-- was selected late first round a few years ago and is/was a substantially better prospect/value in my opinion than anyone even close to 1.32. Now safety is a little different beast. I agree there is good value in the second at safety, the problem is we're talking 'free safety' on a 3-4 defensive that is designed around Polamalu. LeBeau doesn't ask our free safety to do as much. He wants him to back up Troy. I don't think he'll burn a first rounder or even second rounder on that 'position' in our current defense because you don't get the same return on your investment. He's not involved on many running plays (tackling). Our CB's are taught to keep the play in front of them and tackle after the catch so he's not matched up one on one deep down the field very often.

Conversely I think drafting pro-bowl hopeful OL helps you in the running game AND passing game on virtually every offensive play. Look where our offense was ranked last year. We 'need' immediate help just to be decent. I understand our defense needs depths but we were number one last year and all of our starters but one are back. I just don't see that as our top priority.

Of course I've certainly been wrong before. And to your credit you did nail Timmons two years ago when everyone else was saying there was better value elsewhere, so maybe you're tuned in to ol' Kevin's brain once again. We'll see...

steelcityrules!!
04-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Round 1.

Round 2.

OG Herman Johnson LSU

Round 3.

DE Corvey Irvin Georgia

Round 4.

C A.Q. Shipley Penn St

Round 5a)

Round 5b)

WR Quan Cosby Texas

Round 6)

RB Frank Summers UNLV

Round 7a)

DE Will Johnson Michigan

Round 7b)

OG C.J. Davis Pittsburgh

I am starting to think you are correct chadman.
Delmas at #32 would make sense to me.

I don't know why, but I see robiskie as a def. possibility too.

I don't see a real top OT talent who would fall in our laps at #32, so thats a tough one to say.

I'd be fine swapping 1st rounders with green bay and packaging larry foote to go and get some blue-chipper who falls through the cracks somehow.

MeetJoeGreene
04-24-2009, 07:46 AM
That is an excellent mock draft

calmkiller
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I enjoy your mock drafts Chadman but I would like to agree and disagree. I feel that OL is a need and Safety may not be as big of one. Hypothetically speaking of course, it is possible for us to draft two corners in the later rounds to groom and move Deshea to FS? With Mundy as his backup?

I agree with your argument that OT is not a priority. They are currently talking with Starks' agent to get a long term deal done, as reported in another thread. Willie Colon will still be a RFA next year so you just sign him to another tender and OT doesn't become such a huge need.

papillon
04-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Round 1.

Round 2.
OG Herman Johnson LSU

Round 3.
DE Corvey Irvin Georgia

Round 4.
C A.Q. Shipley Penn St

Round 5a)

Round 5b)
WR Quan Cosby Texas

Round 6)
RB Frank Summers UNLV

Round 7a)
DE Will Johnson Michigan

Round 7b)
OG C.J. Davis Pittsburgh

If I could sign up for this draft right now, I'd take it. The only selection I don't like is the CB at 5a. I'd rather see a project tackle taken there, unless, of course Hills is working out and we just haven't been informed of that information.

Pappy

ramblinjim
04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Chadman, this is an excellent mock draft.

As much as I would like to see Mack at number 1, I can see your argument with Safety. I think we'll see, based on the draft, how some of our negotiations with Max is going as well as how Hills and some of the young Oline and Dline prospects are looking. Hey, some of those guy could really be stepping it up and we don't need to address the lines nearly as much as we think?

Chadman
04-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Conversely I think drafting pro-bowl hopeful OL helps you in the running game AND passing game on virtually every offensive play. Look where our offense was ranked last year. We 'need' immediate help just to be decent. I understand our defense needs depths but we were number one last year and all of our starters but one are back. I just don't see that as our top priority.

Of course I've certainly been wrong before. And to your credit you did nail Timmons two years ago when everyone else was saying there was better value elsewhere, so maybe you're tuned in to ol' Kevin's brain once again. We'll see...

Chadman will not dispute that the OT position needs to be settled. Perhaps, however, the Interior OL might be a bigger need, with that RG position still in limbo. Certainly depth at OT is required though, unless the FO believe in Essex & Hills. Chadman was remiss in excluding that Coach Z did work out Andrew Gardner from Georgia Tech quite extensively, and they have shown interest in Florida's Jason Watkins. Perhaps the Steelers are looking at Day 2 OT'S?

And thank you for the Timmons props....but don't forget the Woodley selection that got poo-poo'd by all & sundry...'they'll never draft two LB's one after the other'...'...hehe...

Steeler Mafia
04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Shipley is gettling a lot of love only because he's from Penn State, much like Paul Posluszny did a few years ago. I don't see him being a Steeler. Nor do I see the Steelers waiting until the 4th round to get someone at that position, who has arms like a T-Rex, when they could be taking giants like Mack or Wood earlier in the draft.

Sorry, just my opinion (much like A-holes, everybody has one)

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Delmas is a good talent, but if they go DB, it'll be a Cornerback in Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith. The Steelers have been projected to take a Corner in the 1st round the entire decade. This may be that year.

Wolfhound45
04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
That is an excellent mock draft

I mock your mockery of his mock. BAH!

:P

steelers43
04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Acceptable but Delmas in the first is a reach imo.

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Less a reach than Phil Loadholt, who is a 3rd rounder.

steelers43
04-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Get back to me tomorrow night with the same opinion.

D Rock
04-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Delmas is a good talent, but if they go DB, it'll be a Cornerback in Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith. The Steelers have been projected to take a Corner in the 1st round the entire decade. This may be that year.

I don't see CB in the 1st happening. There was that article a couple weeks ago in which Lebeau was saying how they don't need top shelf CBs in his system and they are content to get mid-round role players to fill those spots. The draft history certainly seems to prove that he isn't just blowing smoke by saying that.

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Get back to me tomorrow night with the same opinion.

He's now down to #64 in many mocks, going to the Steelers in the 2nd. Basically a 3rd round pick. He's been falling for months now. And you want this guy at #32? lol