PDA

View Full Version : Is Hines yapping for new contract?

fordfixer
04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Hampton, Ward Await Contract Talks With Steelers
Reporting
Bob Pompeani
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ?

http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.contr ... 89833.html (http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.contract.talks.2.989833.html)

The Pittsburgh Steelers came out for the team's first spring practice Monday.

It was a voluntary workout before a required minicamp next month.

But the start of the season brings with it a large group of Steelers in the last year of their contracts.

So far, only Max Starks and James Harrison have come away with any new deals – although in Starks' case, he's got the franchise money, but the team still wants to engage him in a long term deal.

Those conversations are going on right now which is why others have not heard from the team just yet.

One of them is Hines Ward who hopes to get something done before the season starts.

But this time, unlike the last when Ward staged a two-week holdout, he does not plan any such action.

He would like to either get an extension or a restructured deal.

"I want to be a Steeler, so I mean if it came down to both parties agreeing on a situation – then I'm for it," Ward said. "I don't want to put on another uniform. I mean, I'm late in the game now … and you know, you look at all the previous players that went on and played for other places, you know, I learned a lot from Jerome and what he did and I think for me I want to go down and still in history as being one of the better wideouts that ever wore the black and gold."

The same applies to Casey Hampton, who like Ward, has one year left.

What's different this year is Hampton attended the OTA's. Last year he didn't.

There's still no talking going on between the team and his agent but Hampton understands.

"My recent history coming in out of shape," he said. "I think they want to see me come in – see how I'm going to come in, stuff like that – that's cool. I mean, it is what it is.

"I'm going to be ready to play in September, I mean that's the bottom line. … I'm [going to be] ready to go. I mean, that's all that matters," he added.

Clearly though, this is a defensive line whose members are all over 30. That doesn't concern Hampton.

Don't be surprised, however, if the Steelers look to draft a stud defensive lineman, given the age of the starters.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani thinks it's possible the Steelers could trade down, given their position at No. 32 to get another pick and still get a player they want.

vpsnm02
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/

PITTSBURGH — Hines Ward and Casey Hampton want to be the next 30-something Steelers to cash in with lucrative contracts.

Last August at 33 years old, inside linebacker James Farrior got his deal done.

Last week, outside linebacker James Harrison, who turns 31 on May 4, became the highest-paid defensive player in franchise history.

“Potsie signed one. Deebo signed one,” Hampton said of Farrior and Harrison’s extensions. “So the myth is kind of changing of (the Steelers) not paying guys over 30.

“Just look out for me one time,” Hampton added with a laugh.

Actually, the Steelers did “look out” for Hampton four years ago when they signed him to a five-year contract that included a $5 million signing bonus. This season, he’ll make $3.075 million in base salary.

The Steelers also took care of Ward four years ago when they signed him to a five-year contract that included a $10 million signing bonus. Ward will make $5.8 million in base salary this year

But now Hampton, who turns 32 on Sept. 3, and the 33-year-old Ward would like one more extension that would all but guarantee they’ll finish their careers in Pittsburgh.

“I want to be a Steeler. I don’t want to put on another uniform,” said Ward, the Steelers’ all-time leading pass catcher and team record holder in several statistical categories. “If the two parties can come together and agree to that, I’m all for it.”

Ward said that his agent and the Steelers have only engaged in “minor discussions” so far.

When asked if he expects a deal to be struck before the end of training camp — the Steelers don’t negotiate once a season starts — Ward said, “I hope so. All the guys (in the last year of their contract) would. But I’m going to harp on it.”

Hampton, the Steelers’ first-round pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, said the Steelers won’t begin contract discussions with him until the start of training camp. Last year, Hampton spent two weeks on the physically-unable-to-perform list after reporting to camp overweight and out of shape.

“Of course I want to come back,” he said. “I wouldn’t want to play anywhere else. I want to end my career here. How many guys get to play 12, 13 years and get to stay in one place? Hopefully everything will work out and I will sign another deal and end up here.

“That was always a knock that (the Steelers) don’t pay you when you get over 30. If I get in a little shape and get in (to camp) right, maybe I will be the third guy over 30 to get a little money.”

clock

stlrz d
04-24-2009, 12:04 AM
It's obviously a typo. :Hater

Btw, can we get a merge Mods? fordfixer posted a very similar story first.

Thanks!

proudpittsburgher
04-24-2009, 07:58 AM
saw this on another board too, and that thread title kind of dissed Hines as well. WTF? Guy answers questions and says all the right things about wanting to retire a Steeler/not holding out, and this is a problem?

phillyesq
04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I think that Hampton wants to retire a Steeler -- and get paid.

I think that Ward is wants to retire a Steeler -- and will take a hometown discount to do it.

NC Steeler Fan
04-24-2009, 10:14 AM
saw this on another board too, and that thread title kind of dissed Hines as well. WTF? Guy answers questions and says all the right things about wanting to retire a Steeler/not holding out, and this is a problem?

Exactly.

Too much damn drama...

stlrz d
04-24-2009, 10:58 AM
The sentence "But I'm going to harp on it." is what is being pointed out. Obviously it's supposed to be "But I'm NOT going to harp on it" but for someone looking to dis Hines anything will do...even if it is a word that was clearly omitted.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
If I'm Steelers FO, new contracts for Lamar Woodley and Heath Miller have priority over new deals for Hampton and Hines.

Iron Shiek
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I still think Hampton is getting cut next year. Hines will take whatever the Steelers give him. I agree with the previous poster...Heath and Woodley are next on my wish list.