PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Miller also looking for new deal

fordfixer
04-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Steelers' Miller also looking for new deal

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 21681.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_621681.html)

Count tight end Heath Miller among the Steelers who want to play their entire NFL career in Pittsburgh.

With Miller, though, his desire to finish what he started with the Steelers takes on more urgency, as he approaches his final season under contract with the team that selected him in the first round of the 2005 draft.

Miller is one of several Steelers who could be entering next season wondering when or if they will re-sign before becoming free agents.

"Obviously, I'd love to be a Steeler, and I'd love to spend my whole career here. But at the same time, I realize this is a business. You don't really know what's going to happen," Miller said Tuesday following the Steelers' final Organized Team Activity (OTA) of the week.

Miller is represented by Tom Condon, who is considered one of the top player agents and has a reputation for delivering big contracts for his clients.

The Steelers recently signed Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison to a six-year, $51.175-million contract. Like Miller, Harrison also was entering the final year of his deal.

Miller, 26, said he isn't aware of any Condon discussions with the Steelers on a new contract.

"There's really no point in focusing on it, because when it comes down to it, none of us really has control over what's going to happen," Miller said. "I'm just focused on becoming a better player and getting ready for the upcoming season."

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday the Steelers want to re-sign some of their players who will be entering their final year before the start of next season. However, Colbert also said the team is struggling to create room under the salary cap, as evidenced by the decision to release running back Gary Russell in order to sign quarterback Charlie Batch for the start of OTAs.

Signing Miller, who established a career-high with 48 receptions in 2008, to a long-term contract is the best option for both sides. The Steelers also could designate Miller the franchise player after next season while working on a new deal.

"We'll see what happens," Miller said. "I'll keep my fingers crossed, and we'll see what happens."

Miller noted the large turnout of players attending the voluntary workouts as a sign the Steelers are committed to defending their Super Bowl title.

"Every year, you set out to win the Super Bowl, and there's no better feeling when you accomplish that," he said. "The thing you cherish is the journey along the way and the memories you accumulate.

"It feels good to get back in the swing of things, get your mind on the playbook and see some of the guys you haven't seen in a while," Miller said. "I think it speaks to the character of our team. We've got a lot of guys who like to work, who enjoy being around each other. I'm not sure how much that will help in the fall, but it definitely can't hurt."

BURGH86STEEL
04-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Hopefully, they can work something out with him.

frankthetank1
04-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Hopefully, they can work something out with him.

they better. it would be very tough to find a te to replace miller.

papillon
04-24-2009, 07:52 AM
The players all want to retire as Steelers and to do that any player has to give up a little. If you're willing to do that the Steelers will make you wealthy and a Steeler for your career. If you aren't willing to do that, then, well, the Steelers will try to accommodate you to the best of their ability, but, you will probably be released to seek your fortune elsewhere.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
04-24-2009, 09:31 AM
The players all want to retire as Steelers and to do that any player has to give up a little. If you're willing to do that the Steelers will make you wealthy and a Steeler for your career. If you aren't willing to do that, then, well, the Steelers will try to accommodate you to the best of their ability, but, you will probably be released to seek your fortune elsewhere.

Pappy
I agree. Does he deserve to be paid as a top 5 TE for what the Steelers ask him to do? I do not think so. He is a nice part to have in the offense but I do not think it will be hard to find an adequate enough TE to replace him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2009, 10:51 AM

Pappy
I agree. Does he deserve to be paid as a top 5 TE for what the Steelers ask him to do? I do not think so. He is a nice part to have in the offense but I do not think it will be hard to find an adequate enough TE to replace him.

I think it will be exceedingly hard to find an adequate enough TE to replace him. How many TE's in the league are as well rounded as Heath? They are all either glorified big WR's who can't block worth a lick, or glorified 3rd OT's who can't run or catch worth a lick. Heath is perfect for our team, and could blossom even further if Arians decided to use him more. If we cannot sign him long-term this off-season due to cap issues, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be given the franchise tag next year (about $4 million or so for a TE). They surely will not use it on Starks again, because it would require a 20% raise over this year's OT franchise number, which would bring him over $10 million for a 2010 franchise tag.

frankthetank1
04-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Pappy

well by adequate enough im sure you mean a te not as good as miller. i dont think you could find a better te than miller through the draft or free agency. i agree the steelers dont utalize him enough but that donsent mean you dont give him a good contract

BURGH86STEEL
04-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Pappy

well by adequate enough im sure you mean a te not as good as miller. i dont think you could find a better te than miller through the draft or free agency. i agree the steelers dont utalize him enough but that donsent mean you dont give him a good contract

They can give him a good/fair contract but if he wants more than they are willing to pay, he is gone. I guess it will depend on how much they value a 4th or 5th option (that is what Miller is right now) in the offense.

I really hope they can keep him at a good price for Miller and the team. He seems like a quality guy that goes out and does his job without complaining. If they lose him, at least he helped the team win 2 SBs.

Snatch98
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Pappy

They can give him a good/fair contract but if he wants more than they are willing to pay, he is gone. I guess it will depend on how much they value a 4th or 5th option (that is what Miller is right now) in the offense.

I really hope they can keep him at a good price for Miller and the team. He seems like a quality guy that goes out and does his job without complaining. If they lose him, at least he helped the team win 2 SBs.

Are you drinking? 4th or 5th option? Ward/Holmes or vice versa and then it's Miller. I can't begin to count the amount of times Miller has come up huge for our offense. Losing him would be a significant blow and he needs to be resigned ASAP.

frankthetank1
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM

Pappy

Are you drinking? 4th or 5th option? Ward/Holmes or vice versa and then it's Miller. I can't begin to count the amount of times Miller has come up huge for our offense. Losing him would be a significant blow and he needs to be resigned ASAP.

i agree miller is the third option. he needs to be resigned and he will probably be asking for top 1-5 te money. he is by far the best te i have ever seen on the steelers. not like that is saying a whole lot, but i was sick of never having a te with great hands. green was good but not nearly as good as miller

Snatch98
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
He'll be looking for fair money and honestly if fair money is top 5 money sign me up because he's a top 5 TE and a vital part of our offense. He's also probably my favorite Steeler.

BURGH86STEEL
04-25-2009, 03:47 PM

Pappy

I guess you did not factor into the number of times the RBs touch the football. This is why I considered Miller the 4th or 5th option on the offense. Guess you did not think about that aye?

Snatch98
04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Um when you're discussing offensive options in the light you initially mentioned most people think passing options. Heath Miller is the 3rd option. However it's all irrelevant because Heath Miller needs his extension. I imagine Hines getting extended frees up the room for the Steelers to do so.

BURGH86STEEL
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Um when you're discussing offensive options in the light you initially mentioned most people think passing options. Heath Miller is the 3rd option. However it's all irrelevant because Heath Miller needs his extension. I imagine Hines getting extended frees up the room for the Steelers to do so.

I don't know if most people think of passing options. When I think of options, I think of every option on the offense. I think they should try to get Miller resigned. If he wants top 5 TE money, I do not know if he is worth it for what the Steelers ask him to do. I hope they can get something worked out.

Snatch98
04-25-2009, 04:56 PM

I don't know if most people think of passing options. When I think of options, I think of every option on the offense. I think they should try to get Miller resigned. If he wants top 5 TE money, I do not know if he is worth it for what the Steelers ask him to do. I hope they can get something worked out.

He's worth it. He's one of the best TE's in the league whether we use him like one or not. I'll pay him top 5 money for all the occasional moments of offensive splendor (lol) he provides. He's also a tough dude that fits the so called "steeler mold" to the absolute T. If he's not resigned/extended it will be a huge mistake. Great TE's don't just pop up and Miller is a great TE.