PDA

View Full Version : Trade Larry Foote?

Mister Pittsburgh
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Seems like trading Larry Foote for an additional draft pick, while freeing up much needed cap space, makes a lot of sense. Timmons is easily ready to take over in his 3rd season and will be a much more explosive player.

I think we should try and trade Foote to Green Bay who is going to the 3-4. Any thoughts? How high of a pick would Larry be worth? A 5th rounder maybe? And how much would him being off the books clear up in cap space?

papillon
04-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Seems like trading Larry Foote for an additional draft pick, while freeing up much needed cap space, makes a lot of sense. Timmons is easily ready to take over in his 3rd season and will be a much more explosive player.

I think we should try and trade Foote to Green Bay who is going to the 3-4. Any thoughts? How high of a pick would Larry be worth? A 5th rounder maybe? And how much would him being off the books clear up in cap space?

I wouldn't be against it, but, I'd hope they package some picks and move up in a round and get a player they really want. The Steelers already have 9 picks and very little cap space, so, a 10th pick only adds to that problem. There are some other vets that need to step up to the plate and restructure (Ward? Hampton? Kiesel?) or sign long term deals (Starks?) to help the Steelers.

The Steelers have been fair and forthright with these players, it's time for a little return on their good will investment from the these players.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
04-23-2009, 01:04 PM

I wouldn't be against it, but, I'd hope they package some picks and move up in a round and get a player they really want. The Steelers already have 9 picks and very little cap space, so, a 10th pick only adds to that problem. There are some other vets that need to step up to the plate and restructure (Ward? Hampton? Kiesel?) or sign long term deals (Starks?) to help the Steelers.

The Steelers have been fair and forthright with these players, it's time for a little return on their good will investment from the these players.

Pappy

One thing I don't really get is everyone saying Starks should sign a long term deal. Why on earth would he? He can rake in 9 million or whatever it is for one season and then be a free agent where he either would get franchised again and rake in money, or signed by another team when there is no salary cap.

pittpete
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
If an aging Farrior goes down for any length of time, who steps in?
Please dont say Fox.
Foote's cap number is $3,933,000.00 I believe.
While Im not a big Foote fan and think he lost a step or two I just wouldnt feel confident with K.Fox starting.

papillon
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3rwy6sxo]Seems like trading Larry Foote for an additional draft pick, while freeing up much needed cap space, makes a lot of sense. Timmons is easily ready to take over in his 3rd season and will be a much more explosive player.

Pappy

One thing I don't really get is everyone saying Starks should sign a long term deal. Why on earth would he? He can rake in 9 million or whatever it is for one season and then be a free agent where he either would get franchised again and rake in money, or signed by another team when there is no salary cap.[/quote:3rwy6sxo]

For security, he's only guaranteed the 8.6 this year. If he doesn't sign a long term deal and gets hurt, he's done. A long term deal gives him guaranteed money and security; of course, he's more than welcome to roll the dice and hit the jackpot. As far as I'm concerned he's already hit the jackpot twice with the Steelers.

That is the only reason that I can think of to sign a long term deal. That and there's always the possibility that Cleveland or Cincinnati will sign you and that would have to be painful regardless of pay. :P

Pappy

Slapstick
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think that Keyaron Fox would be bad if starting in a pinch...

In 2007, in his last game before coming to the Steelers, he took the predominant number of defensive snaps and ended up with 10 tackles...

In 2006 he started 4 games and recorded and average of nine tackles pre game...

In only his 4th preseason game with the Steelers (yeah, I know...preseason) he recorded 9 tackles and an INT...

Personally, I think if the opportunity presented itself, he could perform on defense in a manner comparable to Mewelde Moore on offense...but, that's just my opinion...

papillon
04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
It seems everyone has reasons not to release this guy or that guy, but the fact of the matter is that without some restructuring, releasing or trading the Steelers aren't going to be able to sign rookies and they certainly won't have cap space to keep current to rising stars, Woodley, Timmons, Holmes, Mendenhall (hopefully), Sweed (hopefully) or solid mid-career vets, such as, Clark, Miller, Reed, A. Smith, etc.

Something has to give fellas at some point. We all want to hold on to this team, because, we know they can win the SB, but at some point soon the team has to be divested.

Pappy

NC Steeler Fan
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Welll, I dont' know about all that, but, Foote is just
too darned cute to cut! :wink:

I mean, we gotta have some nice "tight ends" to balance
out all the big uglies, no? 8)

WoodleyofTroy
04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Since I'm sick of losing guys and getting nothing in return, I wouldn't mind getting a conditional 4th or 5th in 2010 (don't have the room for an extra pick this year), going up to a 3rd rounder if he performs. Take advantage of the 3-4 teams while you can.

frankthetank1
04-23-2009, 05:32 PM
It seems everyone has reasons not to release this guy or that guy, but the fact of the matter is that without some restructuring, releasing or trading the Steelers aren't going to be able to sign rookies and they certainly won't have cap space to keep current to rising stars, Woodley, Timmons, Holmes, Mendenhall (hopefully), Sweed (hopefully) or solid mid-career vets, such as, Clark, Miller, Reed, A. Smith, etc.

Something has to give fellas at some point. We all want to hold on to this team, because, we know they can win the SB, but at some point soon the team has to be divested.

Pappy

i agree, i wish they could just hold on to the whole team but they have to start making decisions on who goes in order to sign the younger talent on this team. i dont want to lose clark, miller, woodley or timmons. they dont have much depth after farrior, timmons and foote. i love having 3 good to very good mlb's but its still more depth than nt. if you trade hampton the only good nt left is hoke who is in his 30's. hoke and kirschke make around a couple mil i believe but getting rid of either of them doesnt bring much cap relief.
its situations like this that make me have full confidence in the fo. they always make the right decisions as too who is worth keeping and who isnt. i was dissapointed losing chad brown but im glad he was the guy to go instead of anyone else at the time. woodson was the worst player to lose in hind sight but i was even convinced he wasnt worth paying top dollar after his knee injury.

papillon
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM

I am way cute! :P

Nice to see you back on-line.

Pappy

steelblood
04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Instead of trading Foote for a latter round pick, you can trade him and swap picks and move up in an earlier round.

Slapstick
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Foote knows the system...let him play out his contract...

If someone else wants to sign him, bully for them...otherwise, he can re-sign like DeShea did awhile ago...

MaxAMillion
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Why would a team want to pay 3 million bucks for a two down linebacker who is over 30 and will be a FA after the season? I wouldn't give you a pick for Foote. Teams are looking for every down linebackers. Not much of a market for a guy in Foote's price range who must come out on third down.

Sugar
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Why don't we just trade Foote and an extra 3rd rounder for AJ Hawk?? :lol:

Slapstick
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Three things about Larry Foote:

1) He is not a large cap hit...

2) He has played in all but two games since 2003...can you name another Steeler who has done that?

3) He doesn't always come out on 3rd down...

Keep Foote for another year and beyond if the Steelers can swing it...

steelcityrules!!
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Pappy

I see your point. I discussed this with you in the trade hampton thread I think about trading big snack and foote. We have to make some tough decisions, no doubt. Thing is, it's gotta be done in the right way.

just trading hampton or foot for a mid-late round pick to "get them off the books" isn't my first choice, I'd rather not have the pick.

If we package one or both of these guys in such a fashion to move up in the draft and get that next "polamalu" then great.

we got peezy off the books and got a couple of years of outstanding and CHEAP play from harrison for it. I'm not against change, it's just gotta somehow benefit us and not just via the bankroll.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Instead of trading Foote for a latter round pick, you can trade him and swap picks and move up in an earlier round.

If one of the OT slips down to Miami's pick in the 1st, I wonder if offering them Foote would swap spots from 32 to 25. I was thinking today that I can see the Steelers moving up to get an OT if one falls into the early 20's.

Chadman
04-24-2009, 12:56 AM

If one of the OT slips down to Miami's pick in the 1st, I wonder if offering them Foote would swap spots from 32 to 25. I was thinking today that I can see the Steelers moving up to get an OT if one falls into the early 20's.

The only OT that falls into the top 2 rounds that the Steelers have shown any genuine interest in has been Phil Loadholt.

Do you really THINK the Steelers are targetting OT? Or do you HOPE?

Trading back for Loadholt is a possibility.

feltdizz
04-24-2009, 01:30 AM
why trade Foote? We get a great return at a cheap price.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-24-2009, 08:06 AM
bottom line is someone has to go to clear cap room or say goodbye to guys at the end of the year. Wonder what Heath Miller is worth on the open market. Wonder what teams would pay for Ryan Clark's services, laying people out and instilling fear in WR? Hines could still pull down a decent contract elsewhere no matter what he says about wanting to stay. Foote will leave after this season cause I don't see him sticking around to be a backup. Is 2/3 of our DL free agents after this year (Hamp & Keisel)?

Pretty much any guy you have to let go to clear cap room serves a purpose on the team so no decision will be easy.

NC Steeler Fan
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
In my opinion Miller is not even a consideration.

Dont' get me wrong, I certainly don't have the stats to back it up,
but he seems to consistently get open, has great hands and always
gets yards after contact. I think we'd make a HUGE mistake letting
him go anytime soon.

papillon
04-24-2009, 10:16 AM

him go anytime soon.

:Agree :Agree :Agree

This is well stated and accurate.

Pappy

NC Steeler Fan
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM

I am way cute! :P

Nice to see you back on-line.

Pappy

Eh, I been around, but computer issues and a busy schedule kept me in
lurking mode only.

Nice to see you too!

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2009, 10:18 AM

him go anytime soon.

Pappy

Of course, she publicly stated how much she likes "tight ends" earlier. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Since I'm sick of losing guys and getting nothing in return, I wouldn't mind getting a conditional 4th or 5th in 2010 (don't have the room for an extra pick this year), going up to a 3rd rounder if he performs. Take advantage of the 3-4 teams while you can.

Obtaining picks in next year's draft may an awfully smart thing to do.

Everybody has been talking about the possibility of a rookie wage scale being implemented, but I believe that Goodell assured guys like Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, etc. when they were deciding whether or not to come out this year, that there would be no change to the rookie scale currently in place in 2010. However, it is looking more and more like that could change in 2011.

If an NBA-style rookie wage scale is implemented starting with the 2011 draft, I would imagine that a whole bunch of guys will declare early next year to benefit from the last year under the currest system before rookie salaries get scaled back dramatically, making 2010 possibility one of the deepest drafts in recent memory.

Perhaps Pioli was thinking this when he traded Tony Gonzalez for Atlanta's 2nd rounder in 2010 instead of the 2nd rounder this year (especially since he could have used a 2nd rounder this year after trading their 2nd round pick for Cassel already).

BigRob
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Per Mike Lombardi at: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/200 ... ft-rumors/ (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/notes-from-lombardi-draft-rumors/)

" The Steelers will be willing to part with their starting inside linebacker, Larry Foote, at some point in the draft. "

When you consider the Steelers have 440,000.00 in cap space, Starks isn't going to sign a long term deal, and We have 10 players next year who can possibly be gone you realize this is probably going to happen. Why not over draft weekend when you can get value for a good 3/4 ILB and there are a ton of teams that need 3/4 Players (I.E. Green Bay).

papillon
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM

him go anytime soon.

Pappy

Hmmmm, coincidence? I think not. NC Steeler Fan we're on to your ways! Here's a tight end for you. :moon :P

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Last time we moved up from 32 to 25 (with the Giants after SBXL for Santonio) it cost a 3rd and a 4th. Larry Foote would not be worth that much to the Dolphins.

NC Steeler Fan
04-24-2009, 01:18 PM

him go anytime soon.

Pappy

Hey, I say it's a two-fer! :wink: