PDA

View Full Version : TRADE BACK! TRADE BACK!

steeler_george
04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Counting down the days, and I can't wait to welcome the new members our family!

What I am thinking is that we should try to trade back in the 2nd round, we need mostly depth and future starters. We have the luxury of actually drafting players that have potential, but still have time for developement.

Just imagine if somehow we manage to grab 2 or 3 2nd round picks... look at what might be available in that round, but doubt that all these listed are available:

DB: Delmas, Smith, Davis

C/G: Mack, Wood, Unger, Loadholt (RT/G), Robinson, H. Johnson, Levitre

T: Britton, Beatty

DT: Fili, Gilbert

I am not even listing the possible available WR, LB or that one TE, what is his name.

Oviedo
04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Trading back into the top thrid of Round 2 would be music to my ears. Not difference between the quality of player we would get at 1.32 and in the top 10-12 picks of Round 2.

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Trading back from #32 isn't going to net multiple 2nd round picks. If you trade back into the early portion of round 2 (say, pick #40) that might net you an early 4th round pick. If guys like Mack, Britton, or Beatty were available at #32, there is no way I make that move for a 4th rounder.

If you trade back into the middle of round 2 (say, pick #50) that might net you an extra pick in the middle of round 3. While an extra 3rd is nice, I wouldn't want to wait until the 50th pick to make my first selection, when Colbert is so good at identifying first round talent. Last year, our second pick was #53...I would hate for #50 to be our first pick this year.

Oviedo
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Trading back from #32 isn't going to net multiple 2nd round picks. If you trade back into the early portion of round 2 (say, pick #40) that might net you an early 4th round pick. If guys like Mack, Britton, or Beatty were available at #32, there is no way I make that move for a 4th rounder.

If you trade back into the middle of round 2 (say, pick #50) that might net you an extra pick in the middle of round 3. While an extra 3rd is nice, I wouldn't want to wait until the 50th pick to make my first selection, when Colbert is so good at identifying first round talent. Last year, our second pick was #53...I would hate for #50 to be our first pick this year.

Any extra pick even a 4th may give you the ammo to move up in Round 2 or 3. Like I said we need good players at certain positions not specific players. Can't fall in love with a specific guy. I'm more a get more picks guy.

To me Mack at 1.32 isn't that much better than Wood at 2.37 to turn down an extra pick.

MaxAMillion
04-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Is a team drafting at 32 ever able to trade back? That is first round money at #32. It is just as easy for a team to trade up to #33 or #34. You most likely still get your player, but he would have a second round price tag.

True Fan
04-22-2009, 11:27 AM
what about the "this is a superbowl team with almost all of it's starters returning, there isn't much room for more than a few draft picks even making the 53 man roster" banter.
isn't this the battleCRY from the fans that make excuses for the front office bombing on second day picks?
this team doesn't need to move back, it needs to package numerous picks ands move up in the first and second and get players that will actually make the team!

WoodleyofTroy
04-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Trading back to the top of the 2nd has nothing to do with netting two of those players. Regardless, you're going to have to trade UP in the 2nd, in which they can do without giving up #32 and letting the Browns steal Mack/Wood/Unger/Gilbert.

steeler_george
04-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Trading back to the top of the 2nd has nothing to do with netting two of those players. Regardless, you're going to have to trade UP in the 2nd, in which they can do without giving up #32 and letting the Browns steal Mack/Wood/Unger/Gilbert.

I see what you are thinking grab the guy we want, and then menuver to the player(s) we my have interest in.

My thinking is slid back a few spots in the second and gain an extra 3/4 round pick. With that extra pick package with other picks to move back in the second or early 3 rd round.

Thus, gaining more higher valuable picks. Quallity not Quanity.

SidSmythe
04-22-2009, 04:16 PM
we will be doing a lot of moving around in this draft.

phillyesq
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Well said Ruthless. Colbert, though justifiably criticized for some of his second day misses, does a great job with first rounders.

calmkiller
04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Is a team drafting at 32 ever able to trade back? That is first round money at #32. It is just as easy for a team to trade up to #33 or #34. You most likely still get your player, but he would have a second round price tag.

I believe the Patriots did this a few years ago, but don't quote me on it. The question I have with it is the value there to do it. If you are targeting a player are you sure he will still be there when you actually do make your pick?

According to the trade chart spot 32 is worth 590 points. Slot 34 and 35 are worth 560 and 550. Assuming that someone wants to jump ahead of Detroit for a player that has fallen what are you really going to get. A 5th round pick at most.

Oviedo
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM

I believe the Patriots did this a few years ago, but don't quote me on it. The question I have with it is the value there to do it. If you are targeting a player are you sure he will still be there when you actually do make your pick?

According to the trade chart spot 32 is worth 590 points. Slot 34 and 35 are worth 560 and 550. Assuming that someone wants to jump ahead of Detroit for a player that has fallen what are you really going to get. A 5th round pick at most.

But you may be able to package that high 5th round pick to move up in Round 3 or get a player who won't last until our other picks in Round 5.

Trading back makes sense this year with no urgent needs and no one single standout in any of the positions we need help in.

NC Steeler Fan
04-22-2009, 05:18 PM
...you guys are making me dizzy trying to follow all this... :lol: