PDA

View Full Version : Lolly Blog: Russell @ friends house...raided for WEED

costanza2k1
04-21-2009, 09:49 PM
The Bengals to the rescue!

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... tract.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/04/taylor-restructures-contract.html)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Taylor restructures contract
Ian Whetstone, the resident capologist at SteelCityInsider.com, found that the Steelers have restructured the contract of cornerback Ike Taylor, freeing up $430,000 in cap space by giving him that money in signing bonus instead.

It's been something the Steelers have done a good job of doing over the years as a way to free up space.

SteelCityInsider.com's Jim Wexell has confirmed the rumors that were being bandied about the Steelers media room Monday that running back Gary Russell was released due to a run-in with the law.

Russell apparently was staying with a friend at a Columbus, Ohio home that was raided by police. A large stash of marijuana was found.

Russell apparently has not been charged with any crime, but the Steelers did not want the situation to become a distraction.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert did not deny that the Steelers talked to the Buffalo Bills about wide receiver/return man Roscoe Parrish, but said that they have contact with all teams leading up to the draft to find out who might be available.

That said, the Steelers are very tight against the salary cap and a trade is unlikely.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 6:09 PM

phillyesq
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
The release of Russell now makes more sense. I figured that there had to be something more to it than freeing up a few hundred grand in cap space.

calmkiller
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Russell is gone, let move on. Key note here is the Steelers just freed up some 430K in money. A lil breathing room I suppose. I wish I could find some updated number on where we are at in cap space. Parrish is due to make 1mill this year or so, so its still not out of the question, even tho the article says otherwise IMO.

calmkiller
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Nevermind, i just read the article and it said that he took the restructure to help finalize the harrion deal and give Charlie a bonus.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Nevermind, i just read the article and it said that he took the restructure to help finalize the harrion deal and give Charlie a bonus.
sometimes typos leave you trying to figure out what the person is saying... i was thinking, "heroin? i thought it was weed!" lol

Jom112
04-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Columbus, Ohio? Was that friend Santonio Holmes? :stirpot

j/k...

Chadman
04-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Ahh....so, involved in a drug bust, released from the Steelers & lands on the Bengals roster. Guess he just proved the Bengals character requirements!

:Beer

frankthetank1
04-22-2009, 07:32 AM
im sure it hasnt nothing to do with weed and everything to do with cap space. dissapointing the steelers have so little cap space. i really hope they can get parrish

calmkiller
04-22-2009, 07:57 AM
sometimes typos leave you trying to figure out what the person is saying... i was thinking, "heroin? i thought it was weed!" lol

lol that is funny. Harrison*

Oviedo
04-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Ahh....so, involved in a drug bust, released from the Steelers & lands on the Bengals roster. Guess he just proved the Bengals character requirements!

I was going to say the same thing. It seems that the Bumgals have very specific requirements for their players and Russell just achieved one of them.

Why does the NFL let that embarassment down the river even continue to exist other than for a balanced schedule is the question for the ages.

How can their so called fans even wear their colors?

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM

I was going to say the same thing. It seems that the Bumgals have very specific requirements for their players and Russell just achieved one of them.

Why does the NFL let that embarassment down the river even continue to exist other than for a balanced schedule is the question for the ages.

Convict uniforms were traditionally either striped or orange jumpsuits.

The Bengal convict uniforms give you the best of both worlds!

http://www.clicket.com/images_med/975.jpg http://www.prisonercostume.net/images/prison_jumpsuit.gif http://www.freewebs.com/wcwtna4life/chad_johnson.jpg

rpmpit
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Two things:

1. Two years ago when we went down to Cinci for the game, I was telling the guys that I sorta felt sorry for the Bengals fans (well, until the bun throwing incident :evil: :lol: ). I couldn't believe they were so enthusiastic about this garbage team. At the tailgate they were all in a great mood, laughing, drinking, etc. Then at the end they were all sad :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. I'm a Harley fan. But for the most part, I don't buy anything (t-shirts, hats, etc.) displaying their official colors - black and orange. I don't even like Halloween!!! :lol:

rpmpit
04-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I hope Russell wasn't released based soley on the pot. If so, this is the second year in a row where the Steelers have displayed some measure of hypocrisy by punishing a lesser player more severely for a similar offense.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. But if not :? , Ced was released for hitting his girl, but Harrison gets a slap on the wrist. And of course Holmes gets a one-game suspension for possession, but Russell gets released.

Its tough because I've always been proud of the fact that the Steelers do things the right way.

I'm not sure how to feel about this :( :? :x :oops: :cry:

feltdizz
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I hope Russell wasn't released based soley on the pot. If so, this is the second year in a row where the Steelers have displayed some measure of hypocrisy by punishing a lesser player more severely for a similar offense.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. But if not :? , Ced was released for hitting his girl, but Harrison gets a slap on the wrist. And of course Holmes gets a one-game suspension for possession, but Russell gets released.

Its tough because I've always been proud of the fact that the Steelers do things the right way.

It's one thing to be a starter and get in trouble with the law...

it's another thing to be a player who the FO is thinking of cutting that gets in trouble with the law...

Jom112
04-22-2009, 11:55 AM

I blame Mike Brown. We were a good franchise under Paul Brown, then Mike Brown came in and total destroyed the franchise. I figure I'm still in my 20's, so I can ride out this dark phase and enjoy some good times again when Brown is gone...

stlrz d
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM

It was a one time incident (to date) with Harrison. It was an ongoing thing with Ced.

rpmpit
04-22-2009, 02:07 PM

It was a one time incident (to date) with Harrison. It was an ongoing thing with Ced.

True. But Holmes was charged with possession and admitted to the cops that he had smoked. While Russell wasn't even charged with a crime. For all we know, it could be a case of him being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Again, we don't know.

BTW, I did say "some measure of hypocrisy". I realize the two sets of incidents aren't EXACTLY alike. But like dizz said, I think its pretty obvious that the front office is a little more lenient with the stars on the team.

mshifko
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
it was at my house guys...blame me for us getting rid of g.russ if you want :(

rpmpit
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM

I forgive you. Now when can I come over??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM

The PlanetSteeler mods would like to announce that mshifko has been officially waived and may now be claimed by other message boards. We needed to clear up some membership cap space in order to bring steelers43 back into the fold before the draft, and since we had sufficient depth at the stoner position right now (mshifko was our 4th string stoner), we could afford to waive him at this juncture. :wink: :lol:

bostonsteeler
04-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Bengals and Browns -- they're good for the steelers.
They're good for 4 wins a year. That's 4 games less to worry about.

Leave them alone, and encourage them to get crappier. Ideally they'd be at the threshold of crappiness where they're not quite bad enough for the NFL to jettison them, and remain there ad infinitum.

stlrz d
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

True. But Holmes was charged with possession and admitted to the cops that he had smoked. While Russell wasn't even charged with a crime. For all we know, it could be a case of him being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Again, we don't know.

BTW, I did say "some measure of hypocrisy". I realize the two sets of incidents aren't EXACTLY alike. But like dizz said, I think its pretty obvious that the front office is a little more lenient with the stars on the team.

Well for one thing, starters generally are harder to cut due to salary cap implications. If a guy has a big signing bonus spread out over the length of his contract when he gets cut the team takes the full hit that season. For example, the Ravens are stuck with McGahee (can't trade him) because his signing bonus would amount to a $9 million cap hit in '09.

That's why big signing bonuses scare me.

mshifko
04-22-2009, 10:52 PM

I forgive you. Now when can I come over??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

as soon as holmes comes back over :lol: :lol:

mshifko
04-22-2009, 10:53 PM

The PlanetSteeler mods would like to announce that mshifko has been officially waived and may now be claimed by other message boards. We needed to clear up some membership cap space in order to bring steelers43 back into the fold before the draft, and since we had sufficient depth at the stoner position right now (mshifko was our 4th string stoner), we could afford to waive him at this juncture. :wink: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: hey ruth, i just have to live up to my avatar...you understand it's a way of life :mrgreen: