PDA

View Full Version : Steeler report: Trade for Bills R. Parrish possible

SteelCrazy
04-19-2009, 04:36 PM
PITTSBURGH - Could the release of Gary Russell signify something else? Like a potential draft day trade is in the works for a return man?

According to an NFL source, the Bills have been in talks about dealing wide receiver Roscoe Parrish to the Steelers.

The reason the deal would be logical, is twofold. First he is a proven wide receiver, (something the team needs with the loss of Nate Washington) but of more importance is what he can do as a return man.

Parrish not only is good, he has been the best the past two years. He led the NFL with a 16.3-yard average in 2007 and a 15.3-yard average in 2008 on punts. He also has reached the endzone and the past three seasons has scored on returns. Parrish also has a career mark of 23.7 on kickoffs.

Buffalo selected Parrish in the second round of the 2005 draft with the 55th pick. He has six starts in four seasons, catching 97 passes for 1,052 yards and five touchdowns.

If there is a downside, itís he stands just 5-foot-9, 168 pounds, not exactly the wanted size of a starting receiver in the NFL. His career average per catch is just over ten yards, but the source said Parrish could make a good No. 3 slot man if put in the right situation.

There is also one character flaw which may come into play. On Feb. 17, he was stopped in Miami and cited for DUI. It came a month prior to Browns receiver Donte Stallworth killing a pedestrian, also in Miami.

The source said the Bills are looking for a draft pick or picks for Parrish.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... r-possible (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d19-Pittsburgh-Steeler-report-Source-says-trade-for-Bills-wide-receiver-possible)

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
On Feb. 17, he was stopped in Miami and cited for DUI. It came a month prior to Browns receiver Donte Stallworth killing a pedestrian, also in Miami.

The DUI was February 17th of 2008. So it was more than a year prior to the Stallworth incident.

steelers43
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I'd be all in favor of adding Parrish for a 2nd day pick.

phillyesq
04-19-2009, 05:35 PM
If the Steelers could get Parrish for their 5th, I'd be very pleased.

frankthetank1
04-19-2009, 05:36 PM

i think anyone would be crazy to give up parrish for one 2nd day pick. i think he will grant a 3rd round pick or two 2nd day picks. even for a 3rd round pick i would be very happy. parrish would be a legit threat as a wr playing behind holmes and ward

BigLebowski
04-19-2009, 05:54 PM

i think anyone would be crazy to give up parrish for one 2nd day pick. i think he will grant a 3rd round pick or two 2nd day picks. even for a 3rd round pick i would be very happy. parrish would be a legit threat as a wr playing behind holmes and ward

While I agree his value is greater than a second day pick, I would rather the steelers draft say a Mike Thomas that trade for him, for anything higher than a 4th rounder. :2c

frankthetank1
04-19-2009, 06:00 PM

While I agree his value is greater than a second day pick, I would rather the steelers draft say a Mike Thomas that trade for him, for anything higher than a 4th rounder. :2c

i havent seen enough of thomas to have an opinion one way or the other. i really miss having a guy like are returning punts. holmes obviously showed flashes last season but he scares me a lot of times and its a risk to your #1 or #2 wr getting hurt. i also would rather have another vet wr on the team like ronald curry, mike furrey or parrish. having a rookie and sweed behind holmes and ward worries me. god only knows how sweed will do next season. if he doesnt improve we are in trouble.

steelers43
04-19-2009, 06:11 PM

I'd give no more than a 4th, preferably a 5th.

BigLebowski
04-19-2009, 06:14 PM

i havent seen enough of thomas to have an opinion one way or the other. i really miss having a guy like are returning punts. holmes obviously showed flashes last season but he scares me a lot of times and its a risk to your #1 or #2 wr getting hurt. i also would rather have another vet wr on the team like ronald curry, mike furrey or parrish. having a rookie and sweed behind holmes and ward worries me. god only knows how sweed will do next season. if he doesnt improve we are in trouble.

Excellent points, and Holmes will not be returning punts on a regular basis. So I believe that will be addressed in the draft, or possibly a trade.

I think the Steelers like what they have in Sweed, but adding a veteran would not be a bad idea. I just wonder why they haven't. Is the talent pool that mediocre, or are they waiting to see who gets cut later????

Flasteel
04-19-2009, 07:46 PM

I'd give no more than a 4th, preferably a 5th.

43 back in the hizzy!

I think it would take a 4th-rounder at minimum to get the deal done. I have zero issues giving up a 4th rounder for Parrish and if we get him, our punt return situation is as good as it's been since 'Twan. Combine that with our defense and the weapons on offense and I can practically guarantee that there would be more than a 1-win increase in the standings for us next year. I didn't realize that he not only led the league in punt return yardage the last two seasons, but those numbers are fantastic! :Boobs I just thought he was good and very, very small.

Screw the contributions as a 4th receiver, the value at PR is well worth that kind of investment.

Steel Life
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
The 5th-rounder & no more.

AkronSteel
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I give up a 5th and a 7th since we have extras in both rounds. We are not going to have 7...8....or 9 rookies make this team, maybe 5!!! I think making a move like this would be fantastic!!! He would add the slot receiver to the 4 and 5 wide sets and would be a major upgrade in the PR department!!! Get it done Colbert.....make this one happen!!!

:2c

SidSmythe
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
I'd happily give up a 4th round pick

frankthetank1
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
i would definetly give up a 4th or 5th for parrish. even a 3rd i would have no problem with. i figure the steelers could very well draft a bum in the 3rd round. parrish is a solid nfl #3 wr and a good return man

calmkiller
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I currently have us taking a WR with our 3rd pick. I would take Parrish for that same third rounder in a heart beat. A proven backup WR and return man. Tomlin is not afraid to trade for a return man. Rossum anyone?

BradshawsHairdresser
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I currently have us taking a WR with our 3rd pick. I would take Parrish for that same third rounder in a heart beat. A proven backup WR and return man. Tomlin is not afraid to trade for a return man. Rossum anyone?

Yeah....how did that one work out?

Interestingly, Rossum was a very good returner before he came to the Steelers, and again after he left the Steelers...but while he was here he was very unspecial. That tells me improving our return game is not as simple as brining in someone with good return stats.

calmkiller
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Yeah....how did that one work out?

Interestingly, Rossum was a very good returner before he came to the Steelers, and again after he left the Steelers...but while he was here he was very unspecial. That tells me improving our return game is not as simple as brining in someone with good return stats.

I wasn't saying it was a good move, just stating that he has pulled the trigger in the past. Trading a draft pick for a punt returner.

aggiebones
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
We need someone ready to play now, which he is. No 4th round WR would help us now.
He's small, but Ben seems to find our other small WRs OK.

I don't think we can rely on either Sweed & Baker at this point to be the wr3/4s. So something had to be done.
How long is Parrish contract? Will we resign him or is he a short term bridge? Ward is limping more these days too. His career won't last as long as certain WRs.
I doubt Parrish would do much on Ward type blocking besides getting killed.

This smacks of Colbert trying to get him for very little. I could see him offering our no.5, maybe 5 and 7. And yes no more than a 4 and if so, it means Colbert is worried.