PDA

View Full Version : With the 32nd pick of the 2009 NFL Draft,.....

SteelCzar76
04-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I've been 'running' a certain procedure. And i'm officially going to go on record as saying that, barring a trade up for a player like Jenkins, another surprise selection, or an exceptional player Like Maualuga or Harvin falling into our laps at 32,.....our first round selection at #32 will be none other than Fili Moala. (though it will be a close decision on Tomlin's part between him and Jarron Gilbert}

And i believe this will be the case even if Mack, Unger, Wood, Alphonso Smith, and Vontae Davis are all available.

I'm not saying this is exactly what i would do or necessarily advocate but i most certainly believe that though Colbert is the GM, Tomlin at the very least gets whom he wants in the 1st round. And from what i've come up, with he's not that exceptionally high on any of the aforementioned players on a personal level outside of Gilbert and Moala. (With Moala holding a slight edge)

Now without further adieu,.....bring on the the cries for my head, Torches, Pitchforks, and various other farming tools ! :lol: :lol:

Chadman
04-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Going to disagree with you...

Chadman's thought process over the last few days leads him to believe that we are all, on this forum, off track with the direction the Steelers might look at #32.

Remember that 'The Steelers look to take the best player in his respective position' theory we believed in a few weeks ago?

Well, if Alex Mack is gone, as Chadman believes he will be, the only position that the Steelers can get the 'best' at....that is a player who has visited....who has a career record of success....that could fit the 'year to learn before taking over' theory...on a position that will require an upgrade through contract & age issues....is....SAFETY.

Enter Louis Delmas.

Discipline of Steel
04-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I've been 'running' a certain procedure. And i'm officially going to go on record as saying that, barring a trade up for a player like Jenkins, another surprise selection, or an exceptional player Like Maualuga or Harvin falling into our laps at 32,.....our first round selection at #32 will be none other than Fili Moala. (though it will be a close decision on Tomlin's part between him and Jarron Gilbert}

And i believe this will be the case even if Mack, Unger, Wood, Alphonso Smith, and Vontae Davis are all available.

I'm not saying this is exactly what i would do or necessarily advocate but i most certainly believe that though Colbert is the GM, Tomlin at the very least gets whom he wants in the 1st round. And from what i've come up, with he's not that exceptionally high on any of the aforementioned players on a personal level outside of Gilbert and Moala. (With Moala holding a slight edge)

Now without further adieu,.....bring on the the cries for my head, Torches, Pitchforks, and various other farming tools ! :lol: :lol:

Fili! Fili! Fili! :tt2

WoodleyofTroy
04-19-2009, 03:45 AM
You forgot to mention because he's from USC. :Blah What a shocker. Once again you prove your worth here.

SteelCzar76
04-19-2009, 05:11 AM
You forgot to mention because he's from USC. :Blah What a shocker. Once again you prove your worth here.

It has nothing to do with him (Fili) being a Trojan. (Though that's always a plus) :stirpot It has to do with the fact that from what i've come up with (No i will not share the science, just sit back and watch),..Tomlin is not as impressed with the aforementioned players as many (Pundits and Mack/Unger/Beatty fans) would like to believe.

And the pick will most certainly not be a Corner as the guys he's (Tomlin) high on are Sherod Martin, Mike Mickens, and Tony Carter.

And as such,..with those things in mind and without any exceptionally explosive players left on the board,..he will address the D-line. And it will be Fili as he is not only nearly the prototype 5 technique DT, but a humble high character guy as well.

You may not like that this is my personal perspective,..but don't get your G-string in a bundle under your footie jammies. :lol: Remember,... this is all just opinion,..right ?

steelcityrules!!
04-19-2009, 09:55 AM

I'm having difficulty seeing this guy as BPA or a legit first round talent. I understand we are picking basically at the top of the 2nd, but there are questions about his intelligence, he's been in some dust-ups with the law, and needs to get much stronger at the point of attack.

are there comparable 3-4 DE's to be had much later in the draft?
corey irvin of Georgia or Dorrell Scott of Clemson come to mind, and while they need time to grow, guys like Scott might have a much higher ceiling.

I don't know, maybe he's the right guy... I'm just not convinced.

Steel Life
04-19-2009, 10:17 AM
...the Pittsburgh Steelers select - Alex Mack, Center, University of California.

The top rated player at his position & a position of need, anything else is a reach.

grotonsteel
04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
...the Pittsburgh Steelers select - Alex Mack, Center, University of California.

The top rated player at his position & a position of need, anything else is a reach.

Is Alex Mack a better RG compared to Eric Wood?

I think Wood can play Guard position better than Mack. Steelers need a starting RG from this draft.

Eric Wood is Steelers pick at #32.

Oviedo
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

I think Wood can play Guard position better than Mack. Steelers need a starting RG from this draft.

I agree

mshifko
04-19-2009, 02:04 PM
alphonso smith!!!!

realistically, i could see us going with fili or mack at that #32 spot....really just depends whos all on the board at that point...

alphonso kills 2 birds with one stone, the guy can return kicks/punts and provide instant depth in our defensive backfield...

Steel Life
04-19-2009, 09:58 PM

I agree
Again - Wood is a reach in the 1st. Popular thought is that you don't draft centers in the 1st unless they're special & here you guys are going after the 3rd-rated center & late-2nd round talent over the premier player at his position...amazing.

And what has you so convinced that Wood can play G better so much better than Mack?...I believe it was Mack that everyone raving at the Senior Bowl as to how good he was at both G & C. I'm not saying Wood can't do it or be a good pick, but reaching for him the 1st isn't the way to go.