PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Best Play of the Super Bowl?

Discipline of Steel
04-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I have been rewatching the Super Bowl and wondered which play everyone thought was the best one. Id like to offer my opinion and see what everyone else believes.

Impact:
Holmes-The decisive, final score of the game.
Harrison-Backbreaking 10-14 point swing.
Advantage-Holmes. Harrison had major impact but how can you have more impact than the game winning score.

Timing:
Holmes-Play happened at the end of the game, followed with a dramatic comeback.
Harrison-Play happened at the end of the half, no time on the clock.
Advantage-Harrison. Amazing play with :00 on the clock gave the Cardinals a lot to think about at halftime.

Splash:
Holmes-Scoring a touchdown is always sexy and toeing the sideline multiplies that by 100.
Harrison-Cardinals were stunned by Harrison. I was stunned by Harrison.
Advantage-Harrison. The world was stunned by Harrison. The Ultimate Splash Play!

Athleticism:
Holmes-Stretched his body to the maximum, yet didnt lose concentration AND KEPT HIS TOES DOWN!
Harrison-Longest play in Super Bowl history and he earned every single yard of it. Advantage-Harrison. He commanded himself down the sideline through sheer force of will.

So you see, I vote for Harrison because the only thing Holmes has going for him is that it was the last score at the end of the game.

Flasteel
04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Gotta go with Harrison as well. It was at least a 10 and maybe even 14 point swing at the end of the half...no one saw that coming. It was the longest play in Super Bowl hostory and the run-back (as well as blocking) was as you said DoS, a product of sheer will.

Holmes' catch was obviously special and unbelievably athletic. But it wasn't do or die. We were down by 3 with 35 seconds and the play happened on 2nd down and 6 from chip-shot FG range. Yeah, none of us wanted to see overtime but there was wiggle room for another winning play or a FG to tie if need be.

Harrison wins it by a hair.

flippy
04-18-2009, 10:16 AM
How about some plays by Ben?

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2009, 10:22 AM

The last time I checked, the TD pass to Holmes was made by Ben.

How many QB's in the league would scramble around like he did and throw a dart to the corner of the end zone where only Holmes could catch it? Santonio's catch and toe drag was only half of that play. Ben's scramble and throw was the other half. One can't happen without the other.

That said, I still have to vote for Harrison. One play began with the ball in our hands in our red zone, and the other began with the ball in the Cards hands in the Cards red zone, but both resulted in the same amount of points for the Steelers.

flippy
04-18-2009, 10:25 AM

How many QB's in the league would scramble around like he did and throw a dart to the corner of the end zone where only Holmes could catch it? Santonio's catch and toe drag was only half of that play. Ben's scramble and throw was the other half. One can't happen without the other.

That said, I still have to vote for Harrison. One play began with the ball in our hands in our red zone, and the other began with the ball in the Cards hands in the Cards red zone, but both resulted in the same amount of points for the Steelers.

I voted for Harrison. Just thought it should be Ben's throw vs Harrison's int....

Djfan
04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Harrison's play went on

and on

and on

and on.

It was insane!!

stlrz d
04-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Actually, on that particular play Ben didn't even scramble that much. But earlier in the drive? Oh boy did he do some scramblin'!

[youtube:2y72qhah]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5g3KvlTs5bE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5g3KvlTs5bE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:2y72qhah]

ANPSTEEL
04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
i'm going to vote for Harrison here-

not only was it the longest play in Super Bowl history, and created a likely 14 point swing-

BUT

if Harrison was tackled at any point during that return- it is almost certain the Steelers score zero points, greatly reducing the overall impact of that play.

Discipline of Steel
04-18-2009, 05:53 PM

not only was it the longest play in Super Bowl history, and created a likely 14 point swing-

BUT

if Harrison was tackled at any point during that return- it is almost certain the Steelers score zero points, greatly reducing the overall impact of that play.

BUT

he wasnt! :Beer :Beer :Beer :Beer :Beer

SidSmythe
04-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Come on dudes!!

Harrison's play was one of the greatest in NFL history.

BUT i had to go w/ Holmes catch b/c at that point in the game i was nervous and we had everything to lose at that point.

stlrz d
04-18-2009, 09:10 PM

BUT

Not necessarily. Someone was flagged for a facemask (I believe that's what it was) on Timmons. There would have been one offensive play for us.

Flasteel
04-19-2009, 12:34 AM

BUT

Not necessarily. Someone was flagged for a facemask (I believe that's what it was) on Timmons. There would have been one offensive play for us.

Besides, the clock didn't strike zero until he crossed the goal line. We would have had another play regardless...it just would have resulted in 3 points instead of 7.

frankthetank1
04-19-2009, 09:31 AM
how can you not vote for harrison? that was the most amazing play i have ever seen in steeler history

Steel Life
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
I voted Harrison because of the impossibility of it & the impact - it was like a Hines Ward block on the Cards chances. How many times did you think James was going to go down & didn't, & then to have enough momentum left to get it into the endzone?...simply amazing. Quite literally a 20-million dollar play for him...

That said, the winning TD was a thing of beauty...a perfect pass surrounded by 3 defenders, plus the extension & getting the feet down by Santonio...again - amazing.

But props need to go to another play as well...the pass play where Ben scrambled one way, then the other, got spun around & fired a strike to Heath...that was pretty amazing too. My non-Steeler friends couldn't stop talking about that one...until the others came along & up went the excitement meter.

stlrz d
04-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Whenever I think of Harrison's play it puts me in the mind of some cheesy movie where the hero keeps going and going against all odds with things flying at him every where and every time you think something or someone has him he somehow gets out of it and keeps on going until he gets to the promise land.

Seriously...like some dude in a war movie running 100 yards across a battlefield to throw a grenade in a machine gun bunker or something.

Or like in a sports movie when something impossible happens and you're watching it going, "Come on...that would never happen!"

In the movie it's so bad because it's so cheesy but in real life it was simply amazing. The longest play in Super Bowl history. Wow....

Jooser
04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
I voted for 'Tone's TD Rec., but it wasn't easy to choose. Harrison's INT likely won the game for us just as much as 'Tone's TD. By the way, here's NFL.com's top 10 Steelers plays.....

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80eae0be :tt2\

...and here's Harrison's Best of 2008...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e99922

many more Steelers vids there....