PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Could Be Closer to #7

fordfixer
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Could Be Closer to #7 with an Easy 2009 Schedule
April 17, 2009 by
Susan Ayers

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=14 (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1657820/pittsburgh_steelers_could_be_closer_pg3.html?cat=1 4)

Thursday September 10 Tennessee Titans (home)

This season starts out with what might be the best game of the year as the Titans are big time Pittsburgh rivals and they will have a grudge match on their minds. I doubt that there will be any Terrible Towel stomping on Tennessee's part this year though.

Sunday September 20 Chicago Bears (away)

Chicago had a so-so season in 2008. When they meet the Steelers in game two, they will remember how lucky they were not to have played against them last year.

Sunday September 27 Cincinnati Bengals (away)

Cincinnati won four games in 2008 and none of those were against Pittsburgh, their division rivals. It's unlikely that will change in 2009.

Sunday October 4 San Diego Chargers (home)

San Diego might be one of the tougher games in the upcoming season. Even though they won their division, they came out 8-8. They lost twice to Pittsburgh in 2008, once in the playoffs and once when the score was some statistic anomaly of 11-10.

Sunday October 11 Detroit Lions (away)

Aw - Detroit. Still showing up. I'm guessing this will be the least watched Steelers game ever.

Sunday October 18 Cleveland Browns (home)

Cleveland managed to wind up with an even worse standing than Cincinnati (thanks to the Bengals one tie-game) and was shut out by Pittsburgh in a humiliating display during the last regular season game. This was the game that stopped Pittsburgh fan's hearts when QB Roethlisberger got wheeled out on a gurney. It's highly doubtable that will be repeated this season.

Sunday October 25 Minnesota Vikings (home)

Another potentially rough game when the Steelers meet the NFC North Champs (who of course are in the league with Detroit). Could be tough...or not. Fortunately Pittsburgh has a bye next week to recover from all these rockin' games.

Monday November 9 Denver Broncos (away)
Denver has a similar standing to San Diego and this could be an exciting game. As with many of the teams on the schedule, it's all going to come down to which Steelers team shows up to play. Will it be the aggressive passing offense and stomp-on-you defense or will it be the other Steelers who sometimes hand the game to the competition? Only time will tell.

Sunday November 15 Cincinnati Bengals (home)

If Pittsburgh's really tired from their game against the Broncos,
this game could have a few defining moments.

Sunday November 22 Kansas City (away)

This team was among the worst in the NFL in 2008 and they're in a so-so division. It's doubtful that the competition is going to be too great this week. Why is Pittsburgh playing the vanilla AFC West? Bring on the Giants, bring on the Colts, and bring on the Cardinals who shocked the world last year. The Steelers just won the Super Bowl for heaven's sake. I know how these games are chosen, but it just has to be said.

Sunday November 29 Baltimore Ravens (away)

Now we're talking football and another grudge match at that. The Ravens will be mad and they will want revenge. But they were mad last year too. What'd they get? Beat. Three times in 2008.

Sunday December 6 Oakland Raiders (home)

Coming in slightly higher than KC in the division standings, this game will likely be a disappointment for action seeking fans. But who knows - they might surprise us.

Thursday December 10 Cleveland Browns (away)

The Browns will have a slight advantage as the Steelers will have just played Oakland four days prior to this game. At this point in the season, if Pittsburgh had a good schedule, they'd be tired and they'd be injured from playing in their typical aggressive fashion. But this year, they'll just be bored to death and it's scary to think which team might show up when that happens.

Sunday December 20 Green Bay Packers (home)

Finally, Pittsburgh gets to play a team to be reckoned with. Oh wait, that was back in the Favre days. Never mind.

Sunday December 27 Baltimore Ravens (home)

Baltimore will come to Pittsburgh to valiantly attempt to win one and save some face. Again, they could have an advantage here as the season's almost over and the Ravens will be out for blood. They'll also be as bored as Pittsburgh as their schedule is much of the same.

Sunday January 3 Miami Dolphins (away)
As they wrap up what could be the piece of cake season of all time, they play a tough team from a tough division. Pittsburgh's games this year are going to start and end with really strong opponents. You can't say that about all the games in between. Dan Rooney picked a good year to pick up and move to Ireland.

Djfan
04-18-2009, 01:57 AM
No jinxes please.

proudpittsburgher
04-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Yea, seriously. It's a long season and a lot of things have to go right to win the super bowl. When you look back at everything that had to happen for us to win last season, and even 2005 for that matter, you know it is about more than the opponent in front of you. Let's take this thing one week at a time, practice hard, eat our vegetables and take our vitamins, and the good Lord willing, the Steelers will come out on top. :D

flippy
04-18-2009, 10:24 AM
you can't jinx something that's been predetermined......

#7 is around the corner.....

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO OOOOOOOOO!

Jooser
04-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Maybe we'll be the one's to beat the Dolphins perfect season/Super Bowl record?!!? Darn, that's a jinx if ever there was one, I REPENT!!!!

Oviedo
04-20-2009, 08:04 AM
The schedule sets itself up nicely for another 12-4 record but injuries could just as easy make it 9-7. Unlikely we beat the Ravens twice and we very easily could lose the Titans game since they always give us fits. Don't forget that we have huge tarfgets on our backs now and for many of the teams we play the game against us is the closest they will ver get to a Super Bowl.

rpmpit
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
you can't jinx something that's been predetermined......

#7 is around the corner.....

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO OOOOOOOOO!

Armpit likey!!!!!

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

fezziwig
04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm hoping we don't have a Super Bowl hangover for one and secondly, I hope the players that are still around from Super Bowl 40 can preach a little to the team about it isn't a given to do well this season because we won it all last season.

Truth be told, I feel the best talent of Tomlin is his ability to communicate to his players. Tomlin just seems as if he knows how to get his point across and no one slides under his radar.

Oviedo
04-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm hoping we don't have a Super Bowl hangover for one and secondly, I hope the players that are still around from Super Bowl 40 can preach a little to the team about it isn't a given to do well this season because we won it all last season.

Truth be told, I feel the best talent of Tomlin is his ability to communicate to his players. Tomlin just seems as if he knows how to get his point across and no one slides under his radar.

I think Tomlin is young, motivated and driven at this point of his career where Cowher was tired and worn out.

Tomlin will not allow the malaise that occurred through the first half of the season happen again like Cowher did. I expect 8-10 new faces on this roster because they will be hungry and motivated. The core will remain in tact but if Hampton pulls the nonsense he did last Training Camp don't expect him to be around.