PDA

View Full Version : Bengals pick up Gary Russell...

Jom112
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
The man who scored the Steelers' first touchdown in their February victory is the newest Bengal and it could impact next week's draft.

Cincinnati picked running back Gary Russell off waivers Friday after he played in 15 games last season, including the postseason, and had five rushing touchdowns. The 5-11, 215-pound Russell was cut Thursday when the Steelers re-signed backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Russell averaged 22.3 yards as Pittsburgh's kick returner, a spot the Bengals are seeking to fill with wide receiver Glenn Holt's departure in free agency.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/b ... 7200eb4415 (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/bengals-claim-russell-jeanty-signs/ff55d0fa-2d82-4807-ac03-3e7200eb4415)

This team is making some smart moves this offseason...

Djfan
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow! What a bummer for him. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Mel Blount's G
04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
3rd down outta the backfield? Cause Ceddy Benson has short yardage situations covered...

I hate it when our guys sign within our Div or with the pattywhackers...

SteelBucks
04-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Like all former Steelers, I thought he would be Arizona bound. Whiz must be sleeping at the wheel.

Jom112
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Like all former Steelers, I thought he would be Arizona bound. Whiz must be sleeping at the wheel.

We have a better waiver wire pick than the Cards...

Sugar
04-17-2009, 06:46 PM
This is a good pick up for the Bengals. If Marvin really wants to emulate the Steeler Way, having a rugged ground game with the likes of Benson and now Russell can't hurt. Plus, I would think that you would want to have guys that have "been there" before in your locker room.

Jom112
04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
This is a good pick up for the Bengals. If Marvin really wants to emulate the Steeler Way, having a rugged ground game with the likes of Benson and now Russell can't hurt. Plus, I would think that you would want to have guys that have "been there" before in your locker room.

I like the pickup. We had Glenn Holt returning kickoffs for us last season and then on offense provided nothing but dropped passes. He wasn't that sure handed on kickoff returns either. He sealed a loss for us with a fumble late in the game on a kickoff once (I believe against the Seahawks).

Russell while not as good as Holt return yardage wise, won't fumble the ball and provides something on offense on short yardage downs. He had more TD's last season during the regular season (3) than any of our RB's. If you add the 2 TD's from the postseason he had just as many TD's as Benson, Perry, Watson, Johnson and Dorsey combined last season.

Definitely an upgrade in my book. Although it still doesn't eliminate the need for a #2 RB though. So I still see the Bengals drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, now we know why the Steelers cut Russell...he obviously failed a drug test....

fordfixer
04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
So how long did he get sentenced to, I mean signed for? :lol:

AngryAsian
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
So how long did he get sentenced to, I mean signed for? :lol:

NICE! :lol:

proudpittsburgher
04-18-2009, 08:27 AM

I like the pickup. We had Glenn Holt returning kickoffs for us last season and then on offense provided nothing but dropped passes. He wasn't that sure handed on kickoff returns either. He sealed a loss for us with a fumble late in the game on a kickoff once (I believe against the Seahawks).

Russell while not as good as Holt return yardage wise, won't fumble the ball and provides something on offense on short yardage downs. He had more TD's last season during the regular season (3) than any of our RB's. If you add the 2 TD's from the postseason he had just as many TD's as Benson, Perry, Watson, Johnson and Dorsey combined last season.

Definitely an upgrade in my book. Although it still doesn't eliminate the need for a #2 RB though. So I still see the Bengals drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

Russel is what he is. He might be able to give you the tough yards on occasion, but if the blocking isn't there, I wouldn't count on him too often. I think the Steelers might miss him more than the Bengals will love havign him.

flippy
04-18-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised he didn't end up in NE.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm surprised he didn't end up in NE.

The waiver system allows teams with worse records to claim players before teams with better records. Cincy had the 6th priority, while New England had the 23rd priority. New England signed Fred Taylor this offseason anyway.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
He will be starting in Cincy at RB by years end.

pittpete
04-18-2009, 10:55 AM
What was Russell due to make this year b4 he was cut?
Couldnt we have let the Bungles have Carey Davis instead :bungalssuck

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-18-2009, 01:08 PM
What better way to see if we made a mistake or not...Seeing Russell twice a year. I'm sure they could have stuck someone else out there and nobody would have claimed/signed them. The list of other options they didn't explore still leads me to believe there was more to this story...

Good luck to him...Except when he plays the Steelers.

frankthetank1
04-18-2009, 06:32 PM

Russel is what he is. He might be able to give you the tough yards on occasion, but if the blocking isn't there, I wouldn't count on him too often. I think the Steelers might miss him more than the Bengals will love havign him.

if the blocking isnt there i wouldnt count on most rb's too often. russell is young and has a lot of potential. i have a bad feeling this move will come back and bite the steelers in the a$$

Mick'sTeam
04-18-2009, 10:15 PM

if the blocking isnt there i wouldnt count on most rb's too often. russell is young and has a lot of potential. i have a bad feeling this move will come back and bite the steelers in the a$$

Really??? The Steelers cutting and the Bengals signing Gary Russell is totally insignificant to me. Other than some garbage time here and there (primarily during the pre-season), Russell never showed me much of anything to be honest. I know he scored a TD in the Super Bowl, but I have a feeling any of our RB's could have scored that. I thought Russell was worthless on kick returns. I mean, he looked like he was speed walking behind the wedge. On top of that, he isn't the short yardage back some believe he is. Someone said earlier that he'll be starting for the Bengals by year end. I sure hope that's true because I wouldn't fear that backfield at all.

Jom112
04-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Someone said earlier that he'll be starting for the Bengals by year end. I sure hope that's true because I wouldn't fear that backfield at all.

Yeah, that's not happening. Benson will be starting and I definitely think we will be drafting a RB early. So far we have looked at:

Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State
Rashard Jennings, RB, Liberty
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
Andre Brown, RB, NC State
Cedric Peerman, RB, Virgina
Bernard Scott, RB, ACU

A lot of 1st and 2nd round talent on that list...

frankthetank1
04-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Really??? The Steelers cutting and the Bengals signing Gary Russell is totally insignificant to me. Other than some garbage time here and there (primarily during the pre-season), Russell never showed me much of anything to be honest. I know he scored a TD in the Super Bowl, but I have a feeling any of our RB's could have scored that. I thought Russell was worthless on kick returns. I mean, he looked like he was speed walking behind the wedge. On top of that, he isn't the short yardage back some believe he is. Someone said earlier that he'll be starting for the Bengals by year end. I sure hope that's true because I wouldn't fear that backfield at all.

how much playing time did he ever get? when he did get some action he played well. he always met or exceeded expectations. you didnt like him on returns? he isnt a speed rb so of course he shouldnt be returning kicks. he almost always got the ball out around the 30 so thats pretty solid. i bet his return numbers were better than mendenhall's. he isnt great yet but he is so young so he has a lot of potential. im not upset they lost gary russell of today. im worried of the player he might develop into

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
how much playing time did he ever get? when he did get some action he played well. he always met or exceeded expectations. you didnt like him on returns? he isnt a speed rb so of course he shouldnt be returning kicks. he almost always got the ball out around the 30 so thats pretty solid. i bet his return numbers were better than mendenhall's. he isnt great yet but he is so young so he has a lot of potential. im not upset they lost gary russell of today. im worried of the player he might develop into

I agree...At 22, playing in a loaded backfield, we didn't see the finish product. The Kid never quit working. I saw him on many ST tackles and that is working. He was a team guy waiting for a better chance. I thought that was coming after Parker left. I liked his progress and thought he had "Barry Foster" potential. Good luck to him...

Oviedo
04-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I always liked Russell but the reality is that he was never going to be a major player here with the players we already have in the backfield.

Can't forget that RBs are a time a dozen in the NFL particularly since most teams are going to a "RB by committee" set up. We could draft RB late in draft or as a UDFA who would probably be able to do exactly what Russell has done.

Steel Life
04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I always liked Russell but the reality is that he was never going to be a major player here with the players we already have in the backfield.

Can't forget that RBs are a time a dozen in the NFL particularly since most teams are going to a "RB by committee" set up. We could draft RB late in draft or as a UDFA who would probably be able to do exactly what Russell has done.
I imagine that explains the interest in Frank "The Tank" Summers.

stlrz d
04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
All this hand wringing over a back up RB being cut and then being picked up by another team. Wow.

aggiebones
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I find it hilarious that certain teams fight for our scraps.
Russell was nice to a degree, but only as a cheap non-veteran backup. He will not thrive in Cinn, but will get a couple more paychecks before exiting.
It really shows how poor Cincinnati's scouting department is. They have about 20 NFL players on their roster that someone else might want.
And that is generous. I doubt Detroit would even want half their players.

frankthetank1
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
All this hand wringing over a back up RB being cut and then being picked up by another team. Wow.

its not a huge deal i just dont understand why russell and not say davis, baker, colon, or eason. there are a bunch of guys i would of released before russell. especially colon that guy makes 1 mil a year. russell only makes 450k a year. if they wanted to dump some salary colon would of made more sense. not a huge deal though

stlrz d
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM

its not a huge deal i just dont understand why russell and not say davis, baker, colon, or eason. there are a bunch of guys i would of released before russell. especially colon that guy makes 1 mil a year. russell only makes 450k a year. if they wanted to dump some salary colon would of made more sense. not a huge deal though

He's a starter. Who takes his place?

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2k6vfi2w]All this hand wringing over a back up RB being cut and then being picked up by another team. Wow.

He's a starter. Who takes his place?[/quote:2k6vfi2w]

Yeah, that comment was more than a little odd. We need to keep our 4th string tailback but cut our starting right tackle, who has no backup behind him with any experience at all. :?

The team gave Colon one-year RFA tender of $2.198 million, which would have required first round compensation if another team signs him, so they obviously value him (or else they would have given him the $1.01 tender that guys like McHugh and Madison got or even not tendered him at all like Anthony Smith).

frankthetank1
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM
[quote="stlrz d":25qnx2ax]All this hand wringing over a back up RB being cut and then being picked up by another team. Wow.

Yeah, that comment was more than a little odd. We need to keep our 4th string tailback but cut our starting right tackle, who has no backup behind him with any experience at all. :?

The team gave Colon one-year RFA tender of $2.198 million, which would have required first round compensation if another team signs him, so they obviously value him (or else they would have given him the $1.01 tender that guys like McHugh and Madison got or even not tendered him at all like Anthony Smith).[/quote:25qnx2ax]

i know he is a starter but it wouldnt be to hard to find someone equally as bad as colon. russell is 4th string now with 2 years under his belt behind some excellent rb's. there is no telling how good he can be in the future. colon may be a starter but he sucks

calmkiller
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2blpy1xz]All this hand wringing over a back up RB being cut and then being picked up by another team. Wow.

The team gave Colon one-year RFA tender of $2.198 million, which would have required first round compensation if another team signs him, so they obviously value him (or else they would have given him the $1.01 tender that guys like McHugh and Madison got or even not tendered him at all like Anthony Smith).

i know he is a starter but it wouldnt be to hard to find someone equally as bad as colon. russell is 4th string now with 2 years under his belt behind some excellent rb's. there is no telling how good he can be in the future. colon may be a starter but he sucks[/quote:2blpy1xz]

I want you to just think about what you are saying.....You want us to cut the starting RT from the defending Super Bowl champs to keep a 4th string RB. This may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard from a Steelers message board. There has been alot of stupid stuff said here but WOW.

NorthCoast
04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I have to agree that we should have found someone else to cut who was less of a contributor than Russell. It kinda does make one wonder if there is a story within a story. But I also agree that RBs are not treated as elite as they once were. The trend to have multiple active RBs is definitely on the rise, but I would easily have released Davis before Russell. The love-fest with Davis is absolutely baffling.

frankthetank1
04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
I have to agree that we should have found someone else to cut who was less of a contributor than Russell. It kinda does make one wonder if there is a story within a story. But I also agree that RBs are not treated as elite as they once were. The trend to have multiple active RBs is definitely on the rise, but I would easily have released Davis before Russell. The love-fest with Davis is absolutely baffling.

thats all i was saying. i dont understand what is so great about davis either. they also could have cut dallas baker. we dont need him and he has no potential

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2009, 08:36 AM

thats all i was saying. i dont understand what is so great about davis either. they also could have cut dallas baker. we dont need him and he has no potential

I don't think that Baker's cap hit is currently amongst the top 51 on the team - therefore he does not count against the cap.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2009, 08:38 AM

FWIW we needed to cut someone to make room under the cap, and the victim was our #4 RB. Not too bad when we are caught in a pinch.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I want you to just think about what you are saying.....You want us to cut the starting RT from the defending Super Bowl champs to keep a 4th string RB. This may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard from a Steelers message board. There has been alot of stupid stuff said here but WOW.

I don't know about that. There have been plenty of other baffling posts on here. There was a post on here recently about the Rooneys being happy that the Hines Ward blocking rule passed so the fans would not be upset when the Steelers let Hines go because he wouldn't be allowed to block like he used to (or something to that effect...the logic was difficult to follow).

frankthetank1
04-22-2009, 07:29 AM

I don't know about that. There have been plenty of other baffling posts on here. There was a post on here recently about the Rooneys being happy that the Hines Ward blocking rule passed so the fans would not be upset when the Steelers let Hines go because he wouldn't be allowed to block like he used to (or something to that effect...the logic was difficult to follow).

there are a ton of threads that have been a lot dumber than my opinion of russell. if he wasnt so young i wouldnt have any problem with it, or if hadn't shown any promise than it wouldnt be a big deal to me. i just felt that an older player that has shown less ability than russell should have been cut. that is so stupid huh?

steelblood
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
The man who scored the Steelers' first touchdown in their February victory is the newest Bengal and it could impact next week's draft.

Cincinnati picked running back Gary Russell off waivers Friday after he played in 15 games last season, including the postseason, and had five rushing touchdowns. The 5-11, 215-pound Russell was cut Thursday when the Steelers re-signed backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

Russell averaged 22.3 yards as Pittsburgh's kick returner, a spot the Bengals are seeking to fill with wide receiver Glenn Holt's departure in free agency.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/b ... 7200eb4415 (http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/bengals-claim-russell-jeanty-signs/ff55d0fa-2d82-4807-ac03-3e7200eb4415)

This team is making some smart moves this offseason...

Geez Jom, I think I'd have to disagree. Russell doesn't look like he'll be charged with anything, but the Bengals need to avoid all players that have questionable judgement. Russell has made poor decisions in the past as well. I also question the Bengals pursuit of Andre Smith. I agree that he'll be a talent and will have some success in Cincinnati. But, he is yet another player with poor judgement off the field. He was suspended from playing in his bowl game. That is simply inexcusable and selfish. Then, his weird behavior at the combine. It just seems to me that the Bengals never learn their lesson and continue to invest in players that have poor judgement and are mired in selfishness.

stlrz d
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM

there are a ton of threads that have been a lot dumber than my opinion of russell. if he wasnt so young i wouldnt have any problem with it, or if hadn't shown any promise than it wouldnt be a big deal to me. i just felt that an older player that has shown less ability than russell should have been cut. that is so stupid huh?

But the guy you mentioned is a starter and unless Hills is ready, there is no one to replace him.

frankthetank1
04-23-2009, 07:12 AM

But the guy you mentioned is a starter and unless Hills is ready, there is no one to replace him.

yea i know, i understand there is really no one else on the current roster that can replace colon, but that doesnt mean he would be hard to replace through the draft or free agency. i bet hills couldnt do any worse at RT than colon. colon is really useless. maybe he would do better at guard but one thing is for sure he is no tackle

stlrz d
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I give up. You're missing the point.

frankthetank1
04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I give up. You're missing the point.

no i do get your point. we currently have no one to play rt besides colon other than hills but god knows how he will turn out. my point is that colon sucks. it wouldnt be hard to replace him. cutting a young guy with potential and keeping an older player who is a bum is not what i would have done. who knows how many good years parker will have left. the jury is still out on mendenhall. moore a great back up and 3rd down back but no more than that. i dont think you can ever have enough good rb's. even last season at one point all had for healthy rb's was moore russell and then had to re-sign davenport

Slapstick
04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Willie Colon an older player? Willie joined the Steelers in 2006...Gary Russell joined the Steelers in 2007...

I would say that the Steelers have had ample opportunity to gauge the potential of both players...Colon (along with the rest of the offensive line) improved over the latter half of the season and in the playoffs...I guess that they felt that offensive line continuity was more important than a 4th string RB and mediocre kick returner...

I like Russell and I was sad that he was cut...I, too, thought he had potential...however, there is no way that I would cut a starting RT in lieu of a 4th RB...that is madness...

stlrz d
04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Willie Colon an older player? Willie joined the Steelers in 2006...Gary Russell joined the Steelers in 2007...

I would say that the Steelers have had ample opportunity to gauge the potential of both players...Colon (along with the rest of the offensive line) improved over the latter half of the season and in the playoffs...I guess that they felt that offensive line continuity was more important than a 4th string RB and mediocre kick returner...

I like Russell and I was sad that he was cut...I, too, thought he had potential...however, there is no way that I would cut a starting RT in lieu of a 4th RB...that is madness...

That's the point.