PDA

View Full Version : If all these guys were still there at #32...

Mel Blount's G
04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
....who would you take and why?

Peria Jerry, Ole Miss - DT
Height: 6-2. Weight: 290.
Projected 40 Time: 4.94.
Combine 40 Time: DNP.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.98.
Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 31.

Vontae Davis, Illinois - CB
Height: 6-0. Weight: 201.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Combine 40 Time: 4.49.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.40.
Benchx225: 25. Vertical: 37.5.

Alex Mack, California - C/G
Height: 6-4. Weight: 307.
Projected 40 Time: 5.13.
Pro Day 40 Time: 5.17.
Benchx225: 20. Arm: 33.

Eben Britton, Arizona - OT
Height: 6-6. Weight: 309.
Projected 40 Time: 5.05.
Combine 40 Time: 5.15.
Benchx225: 24. Arm: 32 3/4.

James Laurinaitis, Ohio State - ILB
Height: 6-2. Weight: 244.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
Combine 40 Time: 4.82.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.70.
Benchx225: 22. Vertical: .

Robert Ayers, Tennessee - DE/OLB
Height: 6-3. Weight: 272.
Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
Combine 40 Time: 4.89.
Benchx225: 18. Vertical: .

OR

Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech - DE/OLB
Height: 6-7. Weight: 266.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.
Combine 40 Time: 4.75.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.59.
Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 38.5.

I go with Mack.

- In areas of need, o-line is top, in my opinion. Not to say those other areas aren't in need, but I feel this area is most important. We invested a swiss bank in Ben, let's invest in his poretection
- He's versatile, can play a guard or center
- He has no off-field issues or severe character flaws that I'm aware of. It's said he has leadership qualities. He is smart, having won academic awards several times

That said, I still don't believe he'll be there. Because he's of outstanding charcter as well as talent, I believe he's less of a "risk" and will be selected before our #32. I would consider trading up for this guy if it as only 5-6 or less picks ahead of us. I feel this guy could anchor our line optimally for up to a couple decades in the tradition of past, great Steeler centers Webby > Dirt > Hartings > Mack?

papillon
04-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Any would be fine with me, just not Laurinaitis at ILB. It would be difficult to pass on Jerry and Davis, but, Mack would be my 1st choice as well. When you can draft the best player at a specific position and it happens to be a need and you're drafting at 1.32 that has a lot of value.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Mack is the safest pick. I agree that he could be the next in line of great Steeler centers.

Britton is tempting because quality tackles are hard to find, and the contracts of both of our starting tackles expire after this season. I would have to think long and hard about it if both Mack and Britton were there. I think Britton's short arms would push me ever so slightly to my long-time favorite in Mack.

Davis is a physical freak, but you have to worry about other potential red flags. Could be incredible...or could be another Plax type that just doesn't fit into the Steeler Way.

I wouldn't spend a #1 pick for Laurinaitis to be our #4 ILB. We may spend a pick on an ILB at some point because Foote is likely gone after this season and Farrior doesn't have too many years left, but I think we will wait until day 2 for a guy like that since we have more pressing needs at OL, DL, CB, and WR.

I think Jerry, Ayers, and Johnson could all be good players in the NFL, but I think all 3 are better suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4. I am not among those who believe that our draft strategy is about switching to the 4-3 when LeBeau retires.

calmkiller
04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Mack. He has been call arguably the best CENTER in the draft. Some people say Unger but like I have said before he is a jack of all trades master of none. Trai Essex 2. That is great for a back up, not a starter or first rounder.

Mack all the way!

Mel Blount's G
04-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Ruthless: Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the draft? And which of these have a shot at being there at #32?

FYI: I threw in an ILB to be groomed as Farrior's replacement down the road. Yeah, ILB (and OLB) is hardly the position of need that the others are

For arguments sake, say it was Maualuga instead of Laurinaitis available at #32. Does that change how you feel about taking an ILB at that spot?

Also, how bummed would y'all be if we got unger instead of mack at #32? They really seem quite similar....

Jom112
04-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Ruthless: Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the draft? And which of these have a shot at being there at #32?

FYI: I threw in an ILB to be groomed as Farrior's replacement down the road. Yeah, ILB (and OLB) is hardly the position of need that the others are

For arguments sake, say it was Maualuga instead of Laurinaitis available at #32. Does that change how you feel about taking an ILB at that spot?

I would say Jarron Gilbert is probably your best bet at #32 if you're looking for a 3-4 DE, because Tyson Jackson will be long gone...

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Also, how bummed would y'all be if we got unger instead of mack at #32? They really seem quite similar....

I think 3-4 DE's should be at least 6' 4" and have the frame to carry 285-305 lbs.

First day possibilities:
Tyson Jackson 6-4 295 (likely long gone before #32)
Jarron Gilbert 6-5 288
Fili Moala 6-4 305

Second day possibilities:
Kyle Moore 6-5 272
Will Johnson 6-5 290
Zach Potter 6-7 279
Pannel Egboh 6-6- 277
Everette Pendescleaux 6-6 305

Djfan
04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Mack.

I hate this fact, but we need to scramble to focus on weak areas, so BPA may not be our best approach.

The situation with lack of depth and poor talent now on O line and D line scares me.

Oviedo
04-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Mack seems to be the fan favorite. Probably because his name has been out there longer.

However the more you read from draft analysts and scouts who do this full time the less he is considered a clear cut favorite over Unger or Woods.

Right now I think Woods is getting the best assessments and he is getting more positive "buzz" the more data that is available on him.

WoodleyofTroy
04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Mack seems to be the fan favorite. Probably because his name has been out there longer.

However the more you read from draft analysts and scouts who do this full time the less he is considered a clear cut favorite over Unger or Woods.

Right now I think Woods is getting the best assessments and he is getting more positive "buzz" the more data that is available on him.

Then why don't you think Mack will be available for the Steelers, if you think he's sliding?

SteelCzar76
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM

OR

I go with Mack.

- In areas of need, o-line is top, in my opinion. Not to say those other areas aren't in need, but I feel this area is most important. We invested a swiss bank in Ben, let's invest in his poretection
- He has no off-field issues or severe character flaws that I'm aware of. It's said he has leadership qualities. He is smart, having won academic awards several times

That said, I still don't believe he'll be there. Because he's of outstanding charcter as well as talent, I believe he's less of a "risk" and will be selected before our #32. I would consider trading up for this guy if it as only 5-6 or less picks ahead of us. I feel this guy could anchor our line optimally for up to a couple decades in the tradition of past, great Steeler centers Webby > Dirt > Hartings > Mack?

If these were the guys that remained on the board,....i would trade down use the first of the 2nd round picks to select Wood or Fili Moala.

I'm not overly impressed with any of these cats. Not to say that they are not good players,..but Ayers and Jerry are 3 technique lineman, Davis is a head case, Jonnson is a "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" guy, Laurinaitis carries a 2nd round grade imo, Britton is overrated and Mack though very solid,..is not that much more impressive than Wood or Shipley IMO.

Mel Blount's G
04-21-2009, 07:32 PM

OR

I go with Mack.

If these were the guys that remained on the board,....i would trade down use the first of the 2nd round picks to select Wood or Fili Moala.

I'm not overly impressed with any of these cats. Not to say that they are not good players,..but Ayers and Jerry are 3 technique lineman, Davis is a head case, Jonnson is a "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" guy, Laurinaitis carries a 2nd round grade imo, Britton is overrated and Mack though very solid,..is not that much more impressive than Wood or Shipley IMO.
I can see how Wood my be comparable, physically, but by all accounts he does not have have those personality-type traits such as leadership, intelligence and ambition that are what, in my opinion, set Mack above most of the other lineman and make him "our" guy. Shipley, well, let' just say I buy into the popular theories that his short arms are going to make it tough for him to be successful/effective at the NFL level

Chadman
04-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Why is Louis Delmas not even considered in those picks?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-21-2009, 11:10 PM

personally, i think we're being short-sighted in overlooking ILB... I want one in this draft. After this season, Foote will be gone for sure and Timmons will be the starter. It woudl be nice to not have to have to rely on a rook. And with Farrior's age, there's no telling how much longer he'll be playing at his current level. Sorta hoping for Jasper Brinkley in the mid rounds though.

OT, Mack is the safe pick.

steelblood
04-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I'd take Britton before Mack. He is a very good run blocker that should continue to get stronger and perhaps is a better value. He could play either guard or right tackle. Some think he could even survive on the left side. Mack would be my second choice.

Davis is a great talent with questionable instincts and off-the-field issues.

Jerry is a 4-3 DE. A penetrator. He is not a 3-4 stack and shed guy.

Ayers is a physical specimen who only really has one year of decent production. I'm not sure if he can play OLB as I don't see him as a 3-4 DE. IF he can, he'd be buried behind Woodley and Harrison and would be a waste of a #1 pick unless there are injuries.

Johnson is soft. He doesn't care to play to the run at all and is absolutely not a Steeler type.

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM

personally, i think we're being short-sighted in overlooking ILB... I want one in this draft. After this season, Foote will be gone for sure and Timmons will be the starter. It woudl be nice to not have to have to rely on a rook. And with Farrior's age, there's no telling how much longer he'll be playing at his current level. Sorta hoping for Jasper Brinkley in the mid rounds though.

I have Jason Phillips in my mock as a mid-round ILB, but I could just as easily have included Jasper Brinkley. Those two are a toss-up. I'd be happy with either one there.

Slapstick
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice hypothetical, but all of those guys won't be there at #32...

If Jerry and Laurinaitis are still there, I will be shocked!!!

Oviedo
04-22-2009, 10:30 AM

I have Jason Phillips in my mock as a mid-round ILB, but I could just as easily have included Jasper Brinkley. Those two are a toss-up. I'd be happy with either one there.

...or Scott McKillop