PDA

View Full Version : (2009 Steelers Draft class) Been thinking,...

SteelCzar76
04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
1) Percy Harvin: WR/KR

5'11 192lbs

Harvin's speed and elusiveness in the open field makes him a special prospect, whether teams project him as a receiver or running back.

He arrived in Gainesville as one of the top recruits in the country because of his ultra-productive high school football and track career in Virginia. So his early departure from Florida was expected after a first-team All-SEC junior season. His versatility as a runner (660 yards on only 70 carries - 9.4-yard average - and 10 scores) and receiver (644-40-16.1-7) also made him an all-purpose All-American in 2008. Had an arm span of 31 5/8 inches and a hand span of 9 3/8 inches at the combine.

Harvin's durability will be an issue, but his propensity to get big yardage on every touch -- even when less than 100 percent -- will likely allay any fears teams have about making him a mid-to-late first-round pick.

2) Ron Brace: NT

6'3 330 lbs

Square-framed, naturally large man. ... Surprising initial quickness off the snap to disrupt the play before it has a chance to begin. ... Good lateral quickness to slide down the line. ... Good use of hands to slap away the blockers' attempts to control him. ... Good overall strength, especially in his lower body, to hold up at the point. ... Can anchor against the double-team and flashes the ability to split. ... Able to close if given a free lane. ... Recognizes the action quickly and can slide off the block onto the runner as he goes by. ... Versatile defender capable of projecting as a zero-, one- or three-technique at the next level.

3) Victor Macho Harris: DB

5'11 190 lbs

With a nickname like "Macho," Harris had better be able to back it up. He did that at Virginia Tech. A versatile athlete who has seen time at cornerback, free safety, running back, wide receiver and as a returner on both kickoffs and punts, Harris was used all over the field for the Hokies and presents similar options for his future NFL employer. Voted a second-team All-American in 2008 and a first-team All-ACC selection, Harris intercepted six passes, returning two of them for touchdowns. Unlike many of the Hokies' previous standout corners, Harris might fit best in the NFL in a zone scheme or even at free safety. His instincts and ability to close should help him continue to make big plays and perhaps disguise his lack of elite speed.

4) A.Q Shipley: Center

6'1 304 lbs

After playing on both lines as a redshirt freshman, recording two sacks in limited playing time at defensive tackle, Shipley manned the pivot for the Nittany Lions for every game the past three years. He earned the 2008 Rimington Trophy as the nation's best center after garnering first-team All-Big Ten honors the past two seasons. His leadership off the field and toughness on the field makes him the type of character player NFL teams look for. Had an arm span of 29 3/4 inches and a hand span of 8 1/2 inches at the combine.

5) Jasper Brinkley: ILB

6'2 252 lbs

Few junior college transfers had a greater immediate impact than the one Brinkley had for South Carolina in 2006. He stepped in for the Gamecocks and posted 107 tackles -- more than twice the total of any teammate -- and earned first-team All-SEC accolades. Brinkley was lost for the 2007 season after only four games due to a torn ACL in his right knee. He returned in 2008, but hadn't yet regained his fluidity and straight-line speed and finished with 54 tackles. Blessed with rare size and power when healthy, Brinkley ranks as one of the more intriguing inside linebackers in recent memory. Teams needing an inside thumper, especially those operating out of a 3-4 scheme, will be sure to do their homework on Brinkley's recovery.

6) Zach Potter :5 tech End (or possibly Rulon Davis of Cal)

6'7 280 lbs

Tall with adequate size throughout his frame, could still add 15-20 mass in the upper body without slowing him down. ... Versatile end who plays both sides of the line for the Huskers. ... Pushes back left tackles at times and can beat right tackles in pass situations. ... Has the height and length to affect passing lanes. ... Smart player who recognizes screens and misdirection. ... Asked to drop in zone blitzes and cover backs in the flat. ... Hustles down the line to track down ballcarriers running away from him. ... Can spin in either direction to get off blockers and make a play.

Rulon Davis:

6'5 280 lbs

Rare combination of size and athleticism. ... Prototype size and build for the position. ... Good initial quickness off the snap and can put the offensive tackle on his heels. ... Good lateral quickness and balance to spin back to the inside and can close when the ballcarrier is near. ... Good size and strength at the point of attack and flashes the ability to split the double-team. ... Reliable wrap-up tackler who can break down in space and make the open-field tackle against smaller, quicker athletes. ... Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. ... Gives good effort in pursuit. ... Willing to play through pain, though durability is a concern. ... High character grade. ... Former Marine who goes all out.

Percy
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8827b

Ron
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8d67a

Macho
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f92a22

A.Q
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f33832

Brinkley
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f2dd86

Potter
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f34560

Rulon Davis
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f3003e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00CFaTZhL5M

Oviedo
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Harvin is a huge boom or bust pick for Round 1--maybe the biggest in this draft of players being considered for Round 1. He has major durability concerns and the word out of Gainesville is that he might be one of those players who brings a "posse" along with him. I wouldn't touch him.

I really like Brace but no way he lasts until 2.64.

The rest of your list looks solid.

papillon
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Too many other needs to draft Percy Harvin at 1.32, although, if he was there he will probably be the BPA and the Steelers tend to go that way on a regular basis.

I don't believe that Brace will be there at 2.64; I like Shipley and Brinkley in those spots, but, each seems to be gaining ground in the pecking order.

Pappy

SteelCzar76
04-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Harvin is a huge boom or bust pick for Round 1--maybe the biggest in this draft of players being considered for Round 1. He has major durability concerns and the word out of Gainesville is that he might be one of those players who brings a "posse" along with him. I wouldn't touch him.

I really like Brace but no way he lasts until 2.64.

The rest of your list looks solid.

Yeah i was thinking that the odds were relatively good that Brace may not last that long as well O. (Which is why up until now i really didn't entertain the thought) But,.. who knows,.. the right cats slide out of the 1st into the early second and perhaps he's still on the board for us ? (You know how it goes sometimes on draft weekend)

As far as Percy,..i've gotten some of the same things on him as well. But i thought perhaps it's a matter of some things being blown out of proportion as he never actually compromised himself off of the field and his injuries were a product of the Gators playing him at tailback. (something i don't think we'd do at all with any consistencey)

I also feel as though because he's a Virginia guy like Coach Tomlin he would hereby have a measure of understanding with him (Coach Tomlin) and his football philosophy ?

WoodleyofTroy
04-16-2009, 11:51 AM
If half the league didn't copy the 3-4 this year, we would of probably had a good shot at Ron Brace in the 2nd.

I could live with that draft.

I think Harvin is a bust on a team like the Lions, but a boom on the Steelers. Harvin fits the category of "put him in a good situation, he'll be a star".