PDA

View Full Version : The Final and Definitive 2009 Steelers Draft

Oviedo
04-15-2009, 11:04 AM
OK. I'm tired of reading scouting reports and assessing needs and scenarios with other teams. Here is the right answer for this year. I have forwarded to the front office and they are building their draft board accordingly :wink:

1.32 (32): Eric Woods, C/G, 6’5” 309lbs, Louisville. I think Mack will be gone and this guy is the fastest riser among the Centers. Big and physical with a mean streak. He also has the ability to play Guard immediately. If he is half as good as the last OC we got from a Kentucky university (“Dirt” Dawson) then we be getting a star.

2.32 (64): Phil Loadholdt, OT, 6’7” 335lbs, Oklahoma. Monster of a RT for the future after Colon leaves. When he locks onto the players he is blocking he destroys them. He has improved his stock since the Senior Bowl with good position drills at the Combine and his Pro Day.

3.32 (96): Terrence Taylor, NT, 6’, 315lbs. Very strong player who was once considered a possible Round 1 prospect before a down senior year. He fits LeBeau’s mold for short stocky frame for a NT. He digs in and dares the OL to move him and holds his ground well against the run. We have had great success getting players from Michigan on the defensive side of the ball.

4.32(132): Joe Burnett, CB, 5’9”, 190lbs., UCF. Burnett can play both CB and safety and will help immediately on returns. A player who essentially fills two needs.

5.32(168): Austin Collie, WR, 6’1”, 200lbs, BYU. Collie is a highly productive possession receiver for Hines to groom. He has demonstrated the ability to get yards after the catch. Reportedly he has great character and leadership abilities.

5.33(169): Lydon Murtha, OT, 6’5”, 305lbs, Nebraska. Murtha is a very athletic OT with possible big upside. His athleticism is tops among OTs in this draft and could move to LT.

6.32(205): Frantz Joseph, ILB, 6’3”, 235lbs, Florida Atlantic. Solid performer throughout his career with reported high character. He transferred from Boston College to help provide for his mother who was financially destitute. He recorded 141 tackles and 9.5 TFL as a senior.

7.17(226): Zach Potter, DE, 6’7”, 280lbs, Nebraska. Protιgι for Aaron Smith to teach. Prototypical size for the Labeau version of the 3-4.

7.32(241): CJ Spillman, FS, 6’, 197lbs, Marshall. Project for grooming to replace Ryan Clark. Regressed a little as a senior after a huge junior year but still has the tools.

Priority Free Agents:

Will Johnson, DL, Michigan
Frank Summers, RB, UNLV
Jordan Norwood, WR, PSU

SteelHead
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Nice , but Loadholt and Burnett will be gone by pick 64 and 132 respectively.

MeetJoeGreene
04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
That is an excellent mock draft.

Oracle
04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
oveido -

i don't say this often but your mock draft is probably very accurate when considering what the FO will 'actually do'.

first of all i think your positions are in line with our priorities and your values are all reasonable. yes, loadholt and burnett 'could' go earlier but they 'could' very easily slip to right where you have them. both are certainly within reach. plus we might trade back into the early 2nd and still get wood, who i think is every bit the prospect that mack is, especially considering we like our centers to pull.

as far as the tackle position goes my big concern is for left tackle, since i think starks will be gone next year. who will start there? i would probably take meredith in the second instead of loadholt for that (and only that) reason. although wood at center and loadholt at right tackle would help our anemic running game tremendously and colbert could very well be thinking along the same lines as you.

although many people have him going in the 4th, i agree with you in thinking it will take our 3rd round pick to get taylor. he's very solid. we could use a defensive end for development, but we 'need' a nose tackle right now, and taylor represents the best value out there. hampton will most likely be gone next year and we 'must' get his replacement.

the reason i like the burnett pick is he fits our immediate needs. excellent returner at both kickoffs and punts. can back up at both S and CB. seems to be more of a play maker (which we don't really have) than a brute (which we have many). plus you can develop his technique over a year or two... you can't teach speed.

collie is where i have to disagree. i grew up in sacramento and now live in salt lake city. i watched him play high school ball at el dorado hills and college ball at byu (i'm talking live and in person) at no less than fifteen games, plus a dozen more on tv. i wouldn't call him a 'friend' but i am his acquaintance and am very familiar with him both on and off the field. while he is an intense competitor, hard worker, good teammate, and great character kid, i don't believe his game will translate well to the nfl and here's why... i don't think he has the speed or quickness to separate from nfl corners. he is not a wes welker/kevin curtis type, he's significantly slower. his hands are actually quite hard and he doesn't catch the ball well in tight coverage or contact. most of his receptions came from turn around/spot up/soft zone coverage or wide open deep slants/outs. plus he fumbles a lot. i know his numbers look good but the mountain west is pretty weak aside from utah. if you want a receiver there i'd go with a prospect with more deep speed or at least more quickness.

i love the murtha pick. yes, he's raw, but athletically he's right there with starting left tackle measurables. he's worth a 5th if for nothing more than a back up like essex. and maybe he could develop into a starter if he works really, really, really hard.

i think zack potter will have to be taken in the 6th. too much publicity at this point. he's got a great frame and good work ethic. like i said earlier, we don't need him this year. give him a couple years of HGH... er... strength training and he'll be a solid 295. could be our next aaron smith, definitely our next keisel.

as far as the ILB and FS you have, i'm not too familiar with the names, but looks like they have good numbers and a history of production at smaller schools. that's usually what you want from late round picks. at worse, special team prospects. at best, 2nd string back ups at positions where we need depth.

very well thought. i bet it goes down about like that.

Oviedo
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
oveido -

i don't say this often but your mock draft is probably very accurate when considering what the FO will 'actually do'.

first of all i think your positions are in line with our priorities and your values are all reasonable. yes, loadholt and burnett 'could' go earlier but they 'could' very easily slip to right where you have them. both are certainly within reach. plus we might trade back into the early 2nd and still get wood, who i think is every bit the prospect that mack is, especially considering we like our centers to pull.

as far as the tackle position goes my big concern is for left tackle, since i think starks will be gone next year. who will start there? i would probably take meredith in the second instead of loadholt for that (and only that) reason. although wood at center and loadholt at right tackle would help our anemic running game tremendously and colbert could very well be thinking along the same lines as you.

although many people have him going in the 4th, i agree with you in thinking it will take our 3rd round pick to get taylor. he's very solid. we could use a defensive end for development, but we 'need' a nose tackle right now, and taylor represents the best value out there. hampton will most likely be gone next year and we 'must' get his replacement.

the reason i like the burnett pick is he fits our immediate needs. excellent returner at both kickoffs and punts. can back up at both S and CB. seems to be more of a play maker (which we don't really have) than a brute (which we have many). plus you can develop his technique over a year or two... you can't teach speed.

collie is where i have to disagree. i grew up in sacramento and now live in salt lake city. i watched him play high school ball at el dorado hills and college ball at byu (i'm talking live and in person) at no less than fifteen games, plus a dozen more on tv. i wouldn't call him a 'friend' but i am his acquaintance and am very familiar with him both on and off the field. while he is an intense competitor, hard worker, good teammate, and great character kid, i don't believe his game will translate well to the nfl and here's why... i don't think he has the speed or quickness to separate from nfl corners. he is not a wes welker/kevin curtis type, he's significantly slower. his hands are actually quite hard and he doesn't catch the ball well in tight coverage or contact. most of his receptions came from turn around/spot up/soft zone coverage or wide open deep slants/outs. plus he fumbles a lot. i know his numbers look good but the mountain west is pretty weak aside from utah. if you want a receiver there i'd go with a prospect with more deep speed or at least more quickness.

i love the murtha pick. yes, he's raw, but athletically he's right there with starting left tackle measurables. he's worth a 5th if for nothing more than a back up like essex. and maybe he could develop into a starter if he works really, really, really hard.

i think zack potter will have to be taken in the 6th. too much publicity at this point. he's got a great frame and good work ethic. like i said earlier, we don't need him this year. give him a couple years of HGH... er... strength training and he'll be a solid 295. could be our next aaron smith, definitely our next keisel.

as far as the ILB and FS you have, i'm not too familiar with the names, but looks like they have good numbers and a history of production at smaller schools. that's usually what you want from late round picks. at worse, special team prospects. at best, 2nd string back ups at positions where we need depth.

very well thought. i bet it goes down about like that.

Thanks for the great input. I have to admit I have only seen Collie play twice and I thought he did good but you seem to have better "book" on him. I was also looking at putting Deon Butler, Muhamad Massaqoi or Jarrett Dillard there. Probably lots of WRs will still be on the board but that pick is my WR pick.

grotonsteel
04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Excellent mock ...all the Steelers need are addresed in this mock.

Murtha, Frantz, Burnett and Taylor are great picks.

Oviedo
04-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Excellent mock ...all the Steelers need are addresed in this mock.

Murtha, Frantz, Burnett and Taylor are great picks.

I think that picks 3-7 may be more value than 1-2 this season. Some positions we need are deep and we can get help in those rounds since we don't need immediate starters.