PDA

View Full Version : Batch signs

True Fan
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Steelers keep Batch as backup
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

A day after Byron Leftwich's departure, the Pittsburgh Steelers moved quickly to retain Charlie Batch.

Batch agreed to a one-year, $895,000 deal, according to a source, including a $50,000 signing bonus.

Batch, 34, is entering his 11th season, his seventh with the Steelers. A native of Pittsburgh, Batch joined the Steelers in 2002 and has played in 22 games, including four starts.

His first four seasons were with the Detroit Lions, where he was a starter most of his time.

Batch suffered a broken clavicle last August, forcing him to spend the season on the injured reserve list. That created the opening for Leftwich to join the team as the backup.

The Steelers would have liked to have Leftwich and Batch back, but they figured Leftwich would find a different team.

Leftwich signed a two-year, $7.5 million deal Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4068338

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Let the Batch-Dixon battle for #2 begin!!!

SteelCzar76
04-14-2009, 08:57 PM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

A day after Byron Leftwich's departure, the Pittsburgh Steelers moved quickly to retain Charlie Batch.

Batch agreed to a one-year, $895,000 deal, according to a source, including a $50,000 signing bonus.

Batch, 34, is entering his 11th season, his seventh with the Steelers. A native of Pittsburgh, Batch joined the Steelers in 2002 and has played in 22 games, including four starts.

His first four seasons were with the Detroit Lions, where he was a starter most of his time.

Batch suffered a broken clavicle last August, forcing him to spend the season on the injured reserve list. That created the opening for Leftwich to join the team as the backup.

The Steelers would have liked to have Leftwich and Batch back, but they figured Leftwich would find a different team.

Leftwich signed a two-year, $7.5 million deal Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Forgive me if i am not even close to being excited in any form or fashion about Batch or Dixon and or their "showdown" for the backup role. :lol:

Jooser
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Forgive me if i am not even close to being excited in any form or fashion about Batch or Dixon and or their "showdown" for the backup role. :lol:

Forgive me if I agree...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/congrats.gif

MeetJoeGreene
04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
It is not exciting, to be sure -but a solid, much needed signing.

TallyStiller
04-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow, didn't realize that Batch had been here for THAT long! Almost 2/3 of his career as the Steeler backup...

Oviedo
04-16-2009, 09:46 AM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Let me join that chorus and sing that same song. IMO we are in real trouble if we have to rely on either Batch or Dixon for an extended period of time. Does anyone really remember watching when Batch last got playing time? His arm is gone.

proudpittsburgher
04-16-2009, 09:57 AM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Let me join that chorus and sing that same song. IMO we are in real trouble if we have to rely on either Batch or Dixon for an extended period of time. Does anyone really remember watching when Batch last got playing time? His arm is gone.

I'm hoping Batch does a good job of mentally training Dixon from the sidelines, and I really want to see more of Dixon in the offense in a slash role.

Oviedo
04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

I'm hoping Batch does a good job of mentally training Dixon from the sidelines, and I really want to see more of Dixon in the offense in a slash role.

I'm not sure that Dixon is a "slash" type player. He can run if he has to but not sure he can catch a cold if he had to.

ikestops85
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

I can't think of too many teams that wouldn't be in trouble if they had to rely on their backup for an extended period of time. That includes the steelers even if they had signed Leftwich. There is a reason these guys are backups, Lefty included.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Wow, didn't realize that Batch had been here for THAT long! Almost 2/3 of his career as the Steeler backup...

That was my first thought as well. Had I not seen this and was told that he has been in the league 11 years, I probably would have thought 6 with Detroit and 5 with us.

aggiebones
04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Could any current team win the Super Bowl with their backup. Probably not. Is Batch good enough to get us through a mild injury couple weeks? He could go 1-2 or 2-1 I think. That's all a backup QB is good for. He's got a good relationship with Ben and helping tutor Dixon. That's valuable to me.
Leftwich did exactly what Batch had done in previous seasons. Leftwich got paid to move, so Batch slides back into that role.
No biggie.