PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 3rd worst drafting team??

MeetJoeGreene
04-14-2009, 11:35 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=y ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-forbesnfldraftteams041309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Their measure is ONLY the last 3 years and they only measure the percentage of players drafted still on the active roster.

Third worst is another surprise: the world champion Pittsburgh Steelers, with only 58 percent of their drafted players still on the team and no All-Pros among them. Like the Pats**, the perennially contending Steelers usually have a low draft spot, but they have fulfilled their needs by finding and developing excellent undrafted rookies over the years, like running back Willie Parker and linebacker James Harrison, the 2008 defensive player of the year.

Oviedo
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-forbesnfldraftteams041309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Their measure is ONLY the last 3 years and they only measure the percentage of players drafted still on the active roster.

Third worst is another surprise: the world champion Pittsburgh Steelers, with only 58 percent of their drafted players still on the team and no All-Pros among them. Like the Pats**, the perennially contending Steelers usually have a low draft spot, but they have fulfilled their needs by finding and developing excellent undrafted rookies over the years, like running back Willie Parker and linebacker James Harrison, the 2008 defensive player of the year.

I'm much more interested in the statistic of 2 Super Bowls out of the last 4 than this statistic. I think the last two drafts have been very, very successful. I also think this is skewed because Cowher's last draft in 2006 was terrible.

Part of being a great front office is the ability to identify and sign Undrafted Free Agents with legitimate talent. I'll bet we are among the best in the league in that regards.

Jom112
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-forbesnfldraftteams041309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I'm much more interested in the statistic of 2 Super Bowls out of the last 4 than this statistic. I think the last two drafts have been very, very successful. I also think this is skewed because Cowher's last draft in 2006 was terrible.

Part of being a great front office is the ability to identify and sign Undrafted Free Agents with legitimate talent. I'll bet we are among the best in the league in that regards.

I wouldn't say the 2006 draft was terrible. It produced two starters for your SB (Holmes and Colon). Any draft that results in two starters, one being a SB MVP, I would put at least in the decent category.

Plus Orien Harris wasn't a bad pick, he just didn't work out for you guys...

Northern_Blitz
04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Good Teams have fewer spots.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
BTW, Pats were #1 worst... I read it last night and I found it amusing... a stupid article.

if you're good... like SUPER BOWL GOOD (like both the Steelers and the Pats are)... there's not a lot of room for a 5th or 6th th rounder to make your squad... there just isn't.

Pats and Steelers are the two best teams of this decade.... and 2 of the 3 worst drafting teams...

Iron Shiek
04-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah i don't understand how you publish such a statistically unsound study (and study is being modest). There are so many things that go into it that you can't draw that kind of conclusion.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah the Steelers suck at drafting. Just look at the starting roster in Super Bowl XLIII

Ben Roethlisberger: Drafted by Steelers
Willie Parker: UDFA by Steelers
Hines Ward: Drafted by Steelers
Santonio Holmes: Drafted by Steelers
Heath Miller: Drafted by Steelers
Matt Spaeth: Drafted by Steelers
Max Starks: Drafted by Steelers
Chris Kemoeatu: Drafted by Steelers
Justin Hartwig: Free Agent Signing
Darnell Stapleton: UDFA by Steelers
Willie Colon: Drafted by Steelers

Aaron Smith: Drafted by Steelers
Casey Hampton: Drafted by Steelers
Brett Keisel: Drafted by Steelers
LaMarr Woodley: Drafted by Steelers
Larry Foote: Drafted by Steelers
James Farrior: Free Agent Signing
James Harrison: UDFA by Steelers
Ike Taylor: Drafted by Steelers
Bryant McFadden: Drafted by Steelers
Troy Polamalu: Drafted by Steelers
Ryan Clark: Free Agent Signing

Let's see...the starting lineup for the defending Super Bowl champions is made up of 3 free agent signings from other teams, 3 guys we brought in as rookie undrafted free agents, and 16 guys drafted by the Steelers. We sure do suck at drafting!

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah the Steelers suck at drafting. Just look at the starting roster in Super Bowl XLIII

Let's see...the starting lineup for the defending Super Bowl champions is made up of 3 free agent signings from other teams, 3 guys we brought in as rookie undrafted free agents, and 16 guys drafted by the Steelers. We sure do suck at drafting!
WOW... 3 FAs... the rest all guys we acquired "from the draft pool of players"... WOW.

It was totally "% of players drafted in the last 3 years that are currently on the team."

Like I said... theres no room.

Iron Shiek
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM

I hope we keep sucking...forever! Wait that didn't sound good... :? I hope we don't draft well forever!

aggiebones
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
If they don't count them playing on another team then the whole article is crap.
Like one poster said, we have less spots. But when we cut someone, usually someone else sniffs the carcass.

Uncle Rico
04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
If the Steelers supposedly suck at both drafting players and signing big-name free agents then how in the hell do they manage to win so many damn football games? Not to mention that their offensive line totally sucks, their QB is not elite, and their coach is nothing more than an overpaid janitor. :lol:

RussBII
04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Wouldn't the fact that you have a pretty good effing team during the draft decrease the number of picks that stay on the team? If you are good and deep at most positions, wouldn't the "flyers" you take later in the draft have a harder time making the team?

If you suck, then everyone of your picks should stick around...

Just my two cents.... This is a stupid stat and a stupid article...

Edit: ok, i notice someone else made this point... sorry guys...