PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau says Harrison not product of system

fordfixer
04-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Steeler report: LeBeau says Harrison not product of system
April 14, 1:23 AM ·

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2703 ... -of-system (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d14-Steeler-report-LeBeau-says-Harrison-not-product-of-system)

PITTSBURGH - As first reported in the Examiner Monday morning, the Steelers have come to terms on a contract extension with All-Pro linebacker James Harrison.

An official announcement will come this morning at the South Side facility, but it is reported the deal is worth $51.175 million and it includes $20 million in guarantees. It makes the NFL Defensive Player of the Year the highest ever paid Steeler defensive player.

Troy Polamalu previously held that honor when he agreed to a five-year; $33 million deal in 2007. $15 million was guaranteed in that deal.

Despite his accolades the past two years, there are some skeptics who say Harrison is a product of the Steelers system and point out the recent success of LaMarr Woodley. There is also the question about his age, which will be 31 at the start of the 2009 season.

Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau disagrees with that notion.

“James Harrison would be a tremendous player in anybody’s scheme," LeBeau said. ”He’s just a great competitor. He’s a young man who has been told ‘no’ a couple of times and I think that fueled him to be successful. There’s no question in my mind that he would be good in anybody’s system. He never stops on any play, never gives up in any game.”

Harrison though is a true success story. An undrafted player from Kent State, he was cut and released four times early on in his career. But since taking over the starting job for Joey Porter in 2006 he has blossomed into elite status.

“The difference is maturity. I handled situations a lot differently now than I would have when I got here my rookie year," Harrison said. “The way I took coaching, the way I talked to coaches and just getting an opportunity to go out there and show what I could do…that was all different. I had to change all of that because it was basically the last hurrah.

“I just wanted to come in here, give it a shot and do everything that I can. I wanted to know that I gave everything that I could. I wanted to know that I tried to learn the defense to the best of my abilities, that I handled situations with coaches differently, that I treated them the way they treated me, and then, if I didn’t make it, I would have done everything that I could.”

Last year he recorded 16 sacks in 15 regular-season games and had 8.5 sacks in 2007. He also has 199 career tackles. He is a two time Pro Bowler, and has the longest play in Super Bowl history with his 100 yard interception return for a touchdown.

“It came down to getting the opportunity. Once I got the opportunity, it came down to getting better at my craft," Harrison said. "If you get a guy who is a first or a second round pick, he’s going to get a year, two or maybe three years to develop. If you get a guy who’s undrafted, if he doesn’t come into camp and do something spectacular, he may have the opportunity to play on special teams or be on the practice squad. It’s a long road to go and I just thank God."

Oviedo
04-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I love Harrison, but got to disagree with LeBeau. Harrison is definitely a product of the system and a benficiary of having Woodley opposite him. It is no accident that he got the sack record in Woodley's first full season as a starter. No different than in the mid 90s with Lloyd and Greene. You need two dominant pass rushers at OLB for the 3-4 to be truly effective. We now have that and I hope that we can extend Woodley so he and Harrison can destroy QBs together for at least 4-5 more years.

stlrz d
04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Wow. Disagreeing with the guy who is the architect of the D and who works with him day in and day out. That's crazy.

While I'll agree that some linebackers are a product of the system, when they go above and beyond and really stand out, it's more than the system and it's more than just the guy across from them. Sure that helps, but some guys are beyond that. The Giants had a very good defensive system...was LT a product of that system? I'm not saying Harrison is LT, but I'm saying he is more than just a product of the system.

For the last two seasons Harrison has been a one man wrecking machine. He's taken over and won games almost by himself. That's more than just the system.

Steeler Mafia
04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
:Agree

Jom112
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I would actually say he's successful in-spite of the system. Harrison is talented as heck but he ain't the sharpest knife. It took him a while to fully understand the system, but once he did his physical abilities and non-stop motor has helped him excel.

If he was a in 4-3 his whole career, I think he would have been a pro bowler earlier in his career.

I will say though it's more difficult to neutralize him because he's in a 3-4 and has another outstanding OLB in Woodley playing opposite him, but regardless of what system he's in, OC's would still be game planning on how to specifically stop him...

Oviedo
04-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow. Disagreeing with the guy who is the architect of the D and who works with him day in and day out. That's crazy.

While I'll agree that some linebackers are a product of the system, when they go above and beyond and really stand out, it's more than the system and it's more than just the guy across from them. Sure that helps, but some guys are beyond that. The Giants had a very good defensive system...was LT a product of that system? I'm not saying Harrison is LT, but I'm saying he is more than just a product of the system.

For the last two seasons Harrison has been a one man wrecking machine. He's taken over and won games almost by himself. That's more than just the system.

That's me. Just a wild and crazy guy.

LeBeau is just being politically correct and not taking any of the spotlight off Harrison at the highest point of his professional career. What did you think he would say in a public forum: "Yea, I made Harrison everything he is and I could make anyone else that way too."

MeetJoeGreene
04-14-2009, 11:20 AM

LeBeau is just being politically correct and not taking any of the spotlight off Harrison at the highest point of his professional career. What did you think he would say in a public forum: "Yea, I made Harrison everything he is and I could make anyone else that way too."

I have a couple of thoughts on this. The Steelers typically DON'T re-sign people that are products of the system - they let them walk. So, I think the Steelers really don't believe that he is "only" a product of the system. They may have been over-emotional, or wrong, but I think that they think he is the real deal.

Now, I believe that Harrision would be "good" or even "great" in "any" system, but the combination of factors such as our schemes and Woodley do elevate his play to spectacular.

Oviedo
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM

I have a couple of thoughts on this. The Steelers typically DON'T re-sign people that are products of the system - they let them walk. So, I think the Steelers really don't believe that he is "only" a product of the system. They may have been over-emotional, or wrong, but I think that they think he is the real deal.

Now, I believe that Harrision would be "good" or even "great" in "any" system, but the combination of factors such as our schemes and Woodley do elevate his play to spectacular.

I'm not arguing that JH isn't the "real deal" because I think he is. His ability to attack the QB and particularly strip the football is tops. I'm just saying that it is no accident that JH got his 16 sacks opposite Woodley. Do you think he would have had 16 if Haggans was on the other side? That is the point I'm may be poorly trying to make. JH has benefitted from an attacking scheme with the right players around him. I agree has has taken it to the highest level and I hope he can continue to do so for the next 4-5 years.

feltdizz
04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I love Harrison, but got to disagree with LeBeau. Harrison is definitely a product of the system and a benficiary of having Woodley opposite him. It is no accident that he got the sack record in Woodley's first full season as a starter. No different than in the mid 90s with Lloyd and Greene. You need two dominant pass rushers at OLB for the 3-4 to be truly effective. We now have that and I hope that we can extend Woodley so he and Harrison can destroy QBs together for at least 4-5 more years.

That 100 yard INT negates everything you just wrote...

Seriously... why is it everytime our coaches give a player praise it's because it's the PC thing to do?

You know damn well Harrison is getting to the QB no matter what unless he is held. :Cheers

5 SB trophies not rushing trophies...
He bounced back but he needs to catch the damn ball...

our coaches say what the hell they want. JH is a beast.

feltdizz
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm not arguing that JH isn't the "real deal" because I think he is. His ability to attack the QB and particularly strip the football is tops. I'm just saying that it is no accident that JH got his 16 sacks opposite Woodley. Do you think he would have had 16 if Haggans was on the other side? That is the point I'm may be poorly trying to make. JH has benefitted from an attacking scheme with the right players around him. I agree has has taken it to the highest level and I hope he can continue to do so for the next 4-5 years.

JH would have 16 sacks if you were on the other side...
Oviedo stop making excuses. Regardless of who is on the other side at LB the opponent will have to account for him.

I think if anything you need to give the DL on JH's side some credit not Woodley.
A Woodley article will be written soon and you can praise Woodley.

AngryAsian
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I think that the system only enhances what JH brings to the table. I think having such a familiarity of such a complex system also lends itself to success. He's had time to slowly digest what the scheme has to offer and what his place is within the system. JH is a play maker and when you are able to showcase such talent within parameters that augment your monstrous abilities then how can you not have success. Woodley will likewise flourish because they are two sides of the same coin. Built stout, with incredible motors and selfless vision of the main prize.... not individual accolades, but rather the team D shut down.

SteelHead
04-15-2009, 03:36 PM
This topic is really pretty simple. Harrison would be a productive player in any system but his value to the Steelers is greater than his value to any other team. Hence the big pay day. The right scheme , the right teammates , the right coaches , the right player......It's the perfect storm.

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
This topic is really pretty simple. Harrison would be a productive player in any system but his value to the Steelers is greater than his value to any other team. Hence the big pay day. The right scheme , the right teammates , the right coaches , the right player......It's the perfect storm.

A Harrison strip sack creates essentially the same amount of devastation as that massive wave that killed Clooney and Marky Mark in that movie.

http://wheelhouseadvisors.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/perfect_storm1.jpg

GreggyDigital
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Harrison is the only person in the NFL that gets held on every play.

Pittsburgh just has good scouts when it comes to outside linebackers. Look at Joey Porter for example. Many people called him a system player; then he goes down to Miami get something along the lines of 18 sacks.

JH and LM both make each other better players but there is no doubt the talent that Harrison brings to the field.

Discipline of Steel
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Just look at his face. He is one mean SOB, just like Lambert. Maybe he is not so much a product of 'the system' as he is of 'Steeler tradition'. James Harrison epitomizes the discipline of steel.

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2009, 09:43 PM

Pittsburgh just has good scouts when it comes to outside linebackers. Look at Joey Porter for example. Many people called him a system player; then he goes down to Miami get something along the lines of 18 sacks.

JH and LM both make each other better players but there is no doubt the talent that Harrison brings to the field.

LaMarr Moodley is the perfect counterpart at OLB to James Harrison. :wink: :mrgreen:

Discipline of Steel
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM

LaMarr Moodley is the perfect counterpart at OLB to James Harrison. :wink: :mrgreen:

Best just to write their names out completely every time, its a sign of respect. I never saw anyone refer to Hines Ward as HW. TO on the other hand ...

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Best just to write their names out completely every time, its a sign of respect. I never saw anyone refer to Hines Ward as HW. TO on the other hand ...

I don't like the "ARod" abbreviations (most boring nicknames ever). We had BMac for Bryant McFadden and AJax for Alonzo Jackson, but I'm glad that there aren't too many of those. The only funny one of those is for Manny Ramirez..."ManRam"

Discipline of Steel
04-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Notice BMac and AJax are both now AWOL. Imagine TB handing off to FH and RB, throwing to LS and JS, with JL and MJG on the SC defense backing him up. Oh wait, sorry MJG :oops:

ManRam sounds like the name Fraidy Queen gave to his mini-me. :Clap

OK, does that set everything straight? :wft

AngryAsian
04-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Notice BMac and AJax are both now AWOL. Imagine TB handing off to FH and RB, throwing to LS and JS, with JL and MJG on the SC defense backing him up. Oh wait, sorry MJG :oops:

ManRam sounds like the name Fraidy Queen gave to his mini-me. :Clap

OK, does that set everything straight? :wft

I guess we can make a whole bunch of nicknames that would irritate the Pittsburgh faithful. Let's see:

Broth

Ramen

... both sound like soup

Jaharr

Jafarr

.... sound like members of Al Qaida

Champ

... a name for your puppy

Lawood

... something you give your French girlfriend

:lol:

Slapstick
04-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Harrison is a pure badass...

You could plug him into a LB spot in a 4-3 defense and he would be just as badass...

He might not have 16 sacks, but he certainly would still cause fumbles and make 100 tackles...he might even have more INTs...