PDA

View Full Version : Have we arrived ?

fezziwig
04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
With this Harrison signing does this mean the front offices feels we are now in the drivers seat ?

In all reality we have the team we've been building and hoping for. "Less Bruce Arians and an average O-line."

Signing Harrison was a big step in my opinion for the front offiice.

I feel the front offices thinks that keeping Harrison along with the rest of last seasons Super Bowl team is a show of faith that, more Super Bowls are to be and soon.

Oviedo
04-14-2009, 08:52 AM
I think that it means that they are going to do everything they can for a repeat or three-peat.

They realize that the post collective bargaining landscape of the NFL may significantly change things and I think they want to strike while the iron is hot. That is why they broke their normal modus operendi and signed a 30+ year old player to a big contract for 6 years and took the risk of "dead money" hurting them in the future.

I think it is a sound strategy because an uncapped NFL really scares me that the Steelers could become the Pirates. The Rooney's total financial resources are derived form the Steelers unlike the billionaire owners who have arrived on the scene in the last 20 years. Add the fact that they just assumed a lot of debt to buy out the brothers and we don't have a "sweetheart" stadium deal like other teams it means that financially we could be hurting if the salary cap ever does go away permanently.

ramblinjim
04-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Ovie, as much as I don't like the doom and gloom, I think you're right. The owners from the smaller markets like Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Jacksonville etc have to do everything they can to keep the big money guys like Jones and Snyder from doing to the NFL what has been done to baseball.

BURGH86STEEL
04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
With this Harrison signing does this mean the front offices feels we are now in the drivers seat ?

In all reality we have the team we've been building and hoping for. "Less Bruce Arians and an average O-line."

I feel the front offices thinks that keeping Harrison along with the rest of last seasons Super Bowl team is a show of faith that, more Super Bowls are to be and soon.

I dunno if feel as though they are in the drivers seat. Being in the drivers seat is hard to do in today's NFL. Not like the Steelers were a dominant team last season. One more loss and I do not think the team makes the playoffs. They were very close to that loss several times.

I think their hopes are to remain competitive. Staying competitive keeps fans in the seats and interested. That is the business side of it. They felt resigning Harrison was one way to stay competitive. I hope more Super Bowls are to be had. It is very difficult to win 1 Super Bowl. Why it is hard to believe that some Steeler's fans are disgruntled a few months after winning another one.

frankthetank1
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM

I dunno if feel as though they are in the drivers seat. Being in the drivers seat is hard to do in today's NFL. Not like the Steelers were a dominant team last season. One more loss and I do not think the team makes the playoffs. They were very close to that loss several times.

I think their hopes are to remain competitive. Staying competitive keeps fans in the seats and interested. That is the business side of it. They felt resigning Harrison was one way to stay competitive. I hope more Super Bowls are to be had. It is very difficult to win 1 Super Bowl. Why it is hard to believe that some Steeler's fans are disgruntled a few months after winning another one.

its so hard to believe some fans are not happy months after winning a sb because what is there really to complain about? 2 sb's in the last few years is 2 sb's more than most teams have one in their history. the fo has proven themselves. they know what they are doing. the oline and dline are issues that need to be addressed but they will be. if you are not satisfied with sb wins then you will never be satisfied. they will have basically the same team from last season so what makes anyone believe that the steelers wont be back in the post season and possibly in the sb again?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
They realize that the post collective bargaining landscape of the NFL may significantly change things and I think they want to strike while the iron is hot.
big statement. but, for that reason, I'd love to see them lock up another guy or two, actually. adjust the contract so the money hits in a season or two.

aggiebones
04-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Front office and payers can't be satisfied, but fans that aren't satisfied with these accomplishments are retarded. Plain and simple. Free agency and salary caps make it almost impossible to stay on top and even harder to have a solid foundation at every position. The Steelers are the best at hiding weaknesses and that's why they've won. They know their limitations and fight towards their strengths.

TallyStiller
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Two things about that uncapped year make it less than what it appears... 1. No ceiling means no floor - the list of free spenders in this economy will be short. The list of salary dumpers may be quite significant - the definition of small market changes when the economy shrinks by 10%. 2. Free Agency retreats to after 6 years from after 4, meaning that a lot of players come off the market. If no new CBA is done, the classes of '05 and '06 aren't free agency eligible after the '09 season, meaning a whole lot less urgency to re - do or re - sign Heath, 'Tonio, Woodley, Willie the Colon, among others.

feltdizz
04-14-2009, 11:12 PM
regardless of salary cap or not.. it's not how much money you spend.. its how you spend the money you have. Rooneys are cheap by NFL standards... but we pay the right guys.

Pirates are not bad because of money.. it's management. Other small markets find ways to win.. when Jim Leyland said he wanted to manage the Pirates before he went to Detroit and we said no it was clear we didn't want to win. Pirates keep signing the wrong players to long contracts..

Snyder pays big money and gets no return. If he had it uncapped he would still overpay for bad players. Football is too much of a team sport for the cap to truly hurt a football team IMO.

Oviedo
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
regardless of salary cap or not.. it's not how much money you spend.. its how you spend the money you have. Rooneys are cheap by NFL standards... but we pay the right guys.

Pirates are not bad because of money.. it's management. Other small markets find ways to win.. when Jim Leyland said he wanted to manage the Pirates before he went to Detroit and we said no it was clear we didn't want to win. Pirates keep signing the wrong players to long contracts..

Snyder pays big money and gets no return. If he had it uncapped he would still overpay for bad players. Football is too much of a team sport for the cap to truly hurt a football team IMO.

I agree. The key is talent evaluation which the Pirates have been horrible at and the Steelers and the Penquins have been very good at. For the Steelers it becomes far more important because we consistently pick so low in the draft.

The problem is I think that I read the draft goes away without the CBA. That is where the "rich" clubs could both buy the young and experienced players which would destroy the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2009, 09:47 AM

I still don't understand the "Rooneys are cheap by NFL standards" sentiment. We are up against the cap ceiling every year. How is that cheap? We just don't throw out big money to other teams' free agents because we have so many of our own quality players that we want to extend to long-term deals which require a significant investment. We have recently extended Harrison, Farrior, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, etc. over the past couple of seasons. Only Farrior's deal could be considered to be at a discounted rate (primarily because of his age), but Ben's deal was the largest in team history by far, Troy was given the biggest contract for a safety in the league and the highest ever for a Steeler defensive player at that time, and Harrison just got paid the largest contract for a linebacker in the league, eclipsing Troy for the most ever given to a Steeler defensive player. How, exactly, is this being cheap?

stlrz d
04-15-2009, 10:41 AM

I still don't understand the "Rooneys are cheap by NFL standards" sentiment. We are up against the cap ceiling every year. How is that cheap? We just don't throw out big money to other teams' free agents because we have so many of our own quality players that we want to extend to long-term deals which require a significant investment. We have recently extended Harrison, Farrior, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, etc. over the past couple of seasons. Only Farrior's deal could be considered to be at a discounted rate (primarily because of his age), but Ben's deal was the largest in team history by far, Troy was given the biggest contract for a safety in the league and the highest ever for a Steeler defensive player at that time, and Harrison just got paid the largest contract for a linebacker in the league, eclipsing Troy for the most ever given to a Steeler defensive player. How, exactly, is this being cheap?

It's not, but people get it in their heads that the Rooneys are cheap and it sticks no matter what they do.

feltdizz
04-15-2009, 02:09 PM

It's not, but people get it in their heads that the Rooneys are cheap and it sticks no matter what they do.

When I and most people say the Ronney's are cheap we mean by NFL standards.
Most teams don't let a Joey Porter go or let a Faneca go... they resign them to a nice contract and stay mediocre while unknown talent sits on the sideline.

Saying the Rooneys are cheap isn't an insult. When you win 2 SB's and people still say your cheap it's a good thing. We definitely cut the checks.. but we find ways to get quality guys at great rates.

fezziwig
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
I remember in the 70's Dan Rooney defended his organization by saying, " they are not cheap and during the 70's his players were paid just as well if not better as the other winning teams , Super Bowl or playoff caliber teams. "

But as someone said on this thread, how can they be cheap if they are always fighting to stay beneath the cap ? They're a smart team and know when it is time to pay the productive players and when it is time to let the stars go despite, their personal admiration of them.