PDA

View Full Version : RIP Harry Kalas

stlrz d
04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Dead today at 73. Collapsed at the ballpark and later passed at the hospital.

You'll be missed Harry.

phillyesq
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Not only was his voice a classic on NFL films, but as a Phillies fan, he has been the voice of baseball for me for a long time. This is a very sad day here in Philadelphia.

proudpittsburgher
04-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Ever since I got my XM Radio a few years back, I made sure to catch the Buccos games, then, when they weren't on, I would quickly seek out Phillies games for Kalas and Dodger games for Scully. I know both announcers were dated in their material, and kind of bland in a way, but those voices. Man, those voices could tell a story. They will last forever. I'm only 34, so I know I shouldn't necessarily be getting all nostalgic like this, but I truly appriciate the legends of the game, both on the field, and in the booth. This is truly a sad, sad day for baseball. Harry Kalas will sorely be missed. May he rest in Peace.

ghettoscott
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Rest In Peace

:cry:

papillon
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Any announcer that was announcing baseball games before TV became the media outlet of choice were awesome at their craft. I still to this day would rather listen to a great radio broadcast than watch today's knuckleheads try to call a game on TV. A great radio broadcaster could put you in the dugout of the game with the way he describer the action. I can remember sitting on the porch on a summer night with my dad and listening to Pirate games, awesome.

Pappy

pfelix73
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I was and still am, shocked to hear this news... + R.I.P. Mr. Kalas.

Growing up in PA, my dad the avid Phillies fan would take me to the Vet to watch his beloved Phillies and Harry Kalas was always on the radio. Even though I am no longer a big Phillie fan, I mourn his loss along with my dad and all of those other fans from the eastern side of the state.

He'll be missed...Just like Myron... RIP+ Myron.

:(

buckeyehoppy
04-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Not only was his voice a classic on NFL films, but as a Phillies fan, he has been the voice of baseball for me for a long time. This is a very sad day here in Philadelphia.

Were you able to listen to the game today? A friend of mine in Philly said he listened and the guys who had to do the broadcast were barely able to get through the post game without falling apart. That had to be extremely hard.

R.I.P. Harry Kalas...another great voice of baseball passes :(