PDA

View Full Version : Harrison signed

NC Steeler Fan
04-13-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 20426.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_620426.html)

motter1975
04-13-2009, 11:35 AM
This is great news, but much larger than I expected. Good for him, though...I'm excited to have him around for a few more years!

phillyesq
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Six years, $51 million. $20 million guaranteed, $8.5 per year.

Very glad that Harrison was resigned. I'll be very interested to see yearly breakdown, see how much is backloaded, etc.

frankthetank1
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
this is great news!! it is a pretty big contract but considering his talent the last few years he has been playing for peanuts. he is well deserving of the deal he got. im glad he will retire as a steeler.

NC Steeler Fan
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Iinstead of slipping off from the comfort of the new contract, somehow I expect him to play like even more of a monster. I think Harrison will want to prove that he is going to continue to be worth that kind of a deal.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Very glad that Harrison was resigned. I'll be very interested to see yearly breakdown, see how much is backloaded, etc.

$$$ all around. I want to see the breakdown. and the UPFRONT signing bonus.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
The signing of Harrison is good for 2 reasons.

1 - We resigned Harrison (duh)

2 - Now that his signing is behind us and we know how much we have to work with, other signings (and re-signings) may follow.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
After Bart Scott signed a deal with the Jets that averaged $8 million per at the start of the free agent signing period, you know that Harrison's deal would be for more than that.

stlrz d
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
This is great news!

ramblinjim
04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Iinstead of slipping off from the comfort of the new contract, somehow I expect him to play like even more of a monster. I think Harrison will want to prove that he is going to continue to be worth that kind of a deal.

Yup, I could see Silverback playing like he wants to earn every penny of it. You have to think a six year deal for a 31 year old player is back-loaded with a great deal of that money.

Props to James for showing the other small school guys that bounce around a little bit in the beginning that they can make it. :tt2 :Clap

williar
04-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Smart! Put your money where your success is. This guy has been a monster over the last two years, and definitely worthy of this contract. Horray to the steelers F.O. for getting this thing done, and not letting it become a distraction.

grotonsteel
04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Great News ... :tt2 :tt2

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Great news. However, I do hope that the 2nd order effects don't mean we cannot resign Heath Miller or Lamar Woodley.

Iron Shiek
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Great news. However, I do hope that the 2nd order effects don't mean we cannot resign Heath Miller or Lamar Woodley.

Thats exactly what I was sayin to my friends. Heath and Woodley are due up next...but we also have draft picks so I'm not sure how it all fits together. Perhaps cutting Hampton next year would free up a huge chunk of change though...

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
They can franchise Heath for a very reasonable amount if they cannot come up with a long-term extension by then (the average salary of the top TE's is about half of what we have been paying Starks for the average salary of the top o-linemen). We still have time before Woodley becomes unrestricted (and the fact that the owners opted out of the labor agreement means that unrestricted free agency could be pushed off even further into the future for Woodley and the others in that draft class).

grotonsteel
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Re-signing Max Starks for a long term should help. I hope Front Office start negotations with Starks now that Harrison deal is done.

ramblinjim
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Max has to be next right? Or at least they have to take a shot with Max I would guess.

Max, Wood, Heath, Hines? I'd think they would be looking at Hines to do something more cap friendly than his current contract.

True Fan
04-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Thats exactly what I was sayin to my friends. Heath and Woodley are due up next...but we also have draft picks so I'm not sure how it all fits together. Perhaps cutting Hampton next year would free up a huge chunk of change though...

hampton will get overpaid next year just like starks and colon are this year. that's what happens when you fail to address obvious needs

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
[quote=Oviedo]Great news. However, I do hope that the 2nd order effects don't mean we cannot resign Heath Miller or Lamar Woodley.

hampton will get overpaid next year just like starks and colon are this year. that's what happens when you fail to address obvious needs[/quote:1sdi3oil]

Will be overpaid by which team? I don't believe that will be the Steelers, since Hampton will be 33 years old at the start of the 2010 season, and you don't sign guys at that age who are carrying over 350 lbs. to lucrative extensions. He will likely play out this season and move on.

Even though Hoke is actually older than Hampton, he could act as a short-term bridge to the next guy (from this draft or next). Hoke doesn't have the same pounding that Casey has as a starter in this league for 8 seasons now, plus his joints haven't been carrying around the extreme amount of weight that might get one disciplined in training camp (similar to how Harrison is not your average 31 year old LB, since he only has 2 seasons of pounding as an NFL starter on his body).

calmkiller
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I think we let Hampton walk or we cut him before his contract is done. Look for us to draft a DT this season to be his replacement next.

As for the LB spot we have 2 of them under contract for the next four years at least in Farrior and Harrison. Woodley and Timmons I believe will be RFA because of the rule under and uncapped year they have to have 5-6 years in the league before they can be FA. and Foote will be gone after this year. Depth with Fox, Frazier, Harrison, this position is good for the next two years. Focus to OL, DL.

aggiebones
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
How soon before Woodley is up again for a new contract.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
[quote=Oviedo]Great news. However, I do hope that the 2nd order effects don't mean we cannot resign Heath Miller or Lamar Woodley.

hampton will get overpaid next year just like starks and colon are this year. that's what happens when you fail to address obvious needs[/quote:1qvbx6xu]

True Fan = Mr Sunshine

Did you every go by any other names on the trib?

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Re-signing Max Starks for a long term should help. I hope Front Office start negotations with Starks now that Harrison deal is done.

I would agree however more and more from what I hear Max is happy to just be tagged because he gets more guaranteed money. A long term contract would probably have to give him $13-15M guaranteed to start.

While I'd like to keep Max I think we need to shift our attention to Miller and Woodley.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 02:10 PM
How soon before Woodley is up again for a new contract.

We signed him to a 4 year deal after drafting him in 2007. He's fulfilled 2 years of that contract and is under contract for 2 more years. Normally, he would only need 4 accrued seasons in order to qualify for free agency in 2011, however the fact that the owner opted out of the latest collective bargaining agreement means that guys from his draft class would need 6 accrued seasons before qualifying for unrestricted free agency. This means that he would subject to 2 years of restricted free agency after his rookie contract expires. We could just give him the highest tender (which allows us to match any offer or else receive a 1st and 3rd round draft pick in return). The season, the highest RFA tender was $2.792 million. One of the consequences of the owners possibly allowing an uncapped season next year would be that Woodley could be tied to the Steelers until 2013, when he could finally start talking to other teams without exorbitant compensation required by that team.

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I think we let Hampton walk or we cut him before his contract is done. Look for us to draft a DT this season to be his replacement next.

As for the LB spot we have 2 of them under contract for the next four years at least in Farrior and Harrison. Woodley and Timmons I believe will be RFA because of the rule under and uncapped year they have to have 5-6 years in the league before they can be FA. and Foote will be gone after this year. Depth with Fox, Frazier, Harrison, this position is good for the next two years. Focus to OL, DL.

I would hope the focus of this draft is DL and OL in that order. I'd like to see 2 at each position plus a couple high priority UDFAs.

Who knows what is going on behind closed doors. Maybe Hills and Capizzi are really developing and showing something? Remember the new $51M man didn't contribute until he was about 27 so everyone is ready at diffeent times.

BURGH86STEEL
04-13-2009, 04:57 PM

hampton will get overpaid next year just like starks and colon are this year. that's what happens when you fail to address obvious needs[/quote:38oiyivp]

Was nose tackle that obvious a need the last few years? Why would they invest a lot of money into the position if they are paying Hampton a nice piece of cash? Was there a pro bowl quality NT floating out there to be had by the Steeelers? I do not think there was. You have any names?

You really sound like a disgruntled fan of a team that never won the SB. Why are you so unhappy with a lot things that has to do with this team? According to most, they over paid Starks last year and it worked out for the best. I understood why they felt the need to make that move. Moves like that are not always about failing to address needs. It seems you fail to realize that the players are not always there to address those needs. Especially, when the team wins as much as the Steelers win. At the end of the day, they made enough good moves to have several winning seasons and win 2 SBs in this decade. I usually can care less what they pay the players. I have no say and it and it is not my money. All I really care about is putting the best team on the field that they can. They seem to be doing a good job in that area.

It's all good, fans like myself will continue to smile while fans like yourself will continue to complain & frown.

Sugar
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Harrison is signed, and the peasants REJOICE!!! :tt2 :Clap :tt1 :Beer

papillon
04-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I'll say it, since, no one else seems to want to say it. The Steelers held the cards in this negotiation and they've never paid for past performance until this James Harrison contract. I believe from a business standpoint they overpaid for his services. Players rarely, and I mean rarely, give a break to the team, I'm not sure why the Steelers let Harrison off the hook and paid him 20 million guaranteed. There will be a lot of dead money on this contract, IMHO.

Now, would cutting Hampton this year save them any money? If his contract is up after next year, the Steelers should be getting into the "bad" part of that contract as far as cap hits go. Maybe, they're going to cut Hampton, use Hoke for a year, maybe two and draft the NT at 1.32 this year?

I don't like seeing these big dollars on a 31 year old 34 linebacker that the Steelers rarely have had problems finding or coaching. I mean, Harrison was cut 4 times for crying out loud.

Oh well, there, I said it...

Pappy

DHSF
04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm glad the Steelers signed Harrison, but I also think that a 50+ million contract for 6 years for a player over 30 years old was out of character for the Steelers. They may have overpaid for him according to the Steelers standards, but if he were on the open market this year, I have no doubt he could have gotten that from another team. Under normal circumstances I would agree with Pappy that the Steelers overpaid, but with the possibility of an uncapped season looming on the horizon, this might not be such a bad deal. Time will tell, but the way Harrison is playing, he could very well have another 4 or 5 good years left in the tank. By then, chances are he will either restructure or be cut/traded.

buckeyehoppy
04-14-2009, 12:30 AM
This deal is out of character for the Steelers...but it is still a good signing and, frankly, Harrison is a bit of a late bloomer, so this deal may turn out to be as good in the long run as it is in the short term.

With the forthcoming labor v. management negotiating tennis match, it's hard to gauge where the salary cap, etc. on the business end is going for the NFL. But I'm not too concerned about any salary cap repercussions with the Jimmy Hate deal.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-14-2009, 08:48 AM
For those who talk about "The Steeler Way" of doing business, here is something else that is the Steeler way. The Steelers don't lock themselves into one player at the expense of the rest of the roster. The only way that this keeps us from signing Miller and Woodley is if the team decides they don't want to pay them.

flippy
04-14-2009, 09:00 AM

Amazing it took so long to get to exactly where this deal makes sense. 2009 salary + 2 years of franchise $s guaranteed for 6-7 year contract length makes perfect sense.

I'm sure Harrison and his agent didn't like the 6 year commit cause it pretty much guarantees this is his last big money deal. That had to be what took so long.

frankthetank1
04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
im never in favor of giving players big contracts who are on the wrong side of 30 but harrison and farrior are exceptions. at least harrison has hardly had much playing time for being 31. he has very low miles so i think that makes a difference.

mshifko
04-14-2009, 07:55 PM
really glad to see we got this deal done...i mean he outplayed his contract these past two seasons and last year he was on an absolute tear...great signing....

feltdizz
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
people say we overpaid? uncharacteristic?

Well Harrison has played uncharacteristic football for 2 years! Geez... that SB INT return was worth his whole contract IMO. How many of our defensive prayers were answered by Harrison? I know he answered at least 10 of my "c'mon D get a stop" prayers I had.

and everyone on here knows Harrison is held on 40% of the plays...

mshifko
04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
people say we overpaid? uncharacteristic?

Well Harrison has played uncharacteristic football for 2 years! Geez... that SB INT return was worth his whole contract IMO. How many of our defensive prayers were answered by Harrison? I know he answered at least 10 of my "c'mon D get a stop" prayers I had.

and everyone on here knows Harrison is held on 40% of the plays...
yep...anytime we needed a big play this year, usually 92 was involved one way or another...the guy totally outplayed his contract...some guys get cut because they don't play up to a contract, now harrison is the exact opposite...he deserves some money just because how he exceeded what we were paying him