PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Has Already Taken His Place Among Steeler Legends

fordfixer
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1551 ... er-legends (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/155139-big-ben-has-already-taken-his-place-among-steeler-legends)

The list of all-time great Steeler quarterbacks has always begun and ended with Terry Bradshaw.

Some of you old timers might argue for Bobby Layne to be included, but his best days were behind him by the time he spent the last five years of his career with Pittsburgh.

Bradshaw's name doesn't often come up when discussing the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, but it should. He was arguably one of the top five best big game quarterbacks to ever play the game, and the numbers prove it.

He won 14 out of 19 postseason games, four Super Bowls, and two Super Bowl MVP awards. There are those who would say that Bradshaw was merely along for the ride, but there were times when he was clearly in the driver's seat.

He posted a quarterback rating of over 100 in all four Super Bowl games. His combined rating of 112.8 ranks third in Super Bowl history for quarterbacks who have attempted at least 40 passes behind only Joe Montana and Jim Plunkett.

He threw critical fourth quarter touchdown passes in all four games that clinched victories for the Steelers. The man was clutch.

Move over Terry, you have company.

Whether you call it "The Drive," or "The Greatest Super Bowl Ever," there is no denying that Roethlisberger's fourth quarter drive in Super Bowl XLIII was the greatest drive in Steelers' history.

I know, there was that play known as "The Immaculate Reception" that would probably get some votes, but that wasn't so much a drive as it was one single spectacular play.

Big Ben was clutch all season long, rallying the Steelers in the fourth quarter five times to win games including the Super Bowl. His outstanding performance in Super Bowl XLIII, which probably should have earned him MVP, should finally silence all the critics who questioned his ability to perform under the pressure of the biggest game.

Roethlisberger was unfairly criticized for his performance in his first Super Bowl appearance against the Seahawks. Although his statistics were not very good, he did not play as poorly as the numbers would indicate.

He made a couple of big plays at the end of the first half when the game was still up for grabs, including diving in for the go-ahead touchdown to give the Steelers a 7-3 halftime lead.

Then again in the fourth quarter with the Steelers protecting the lead, Roethlisberger converted several crucial third downs by passing and scrambling to keep the clock running.

Although I still have him ranked behind Bradshaw, Roethlisberger should start to be mentioned in the same breath as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning when talking about the best big game quarterbacks of today.

Who knows, Big Ben is only 27 and has plenty of time to win more championships. Before it is all said and done, he may even eclipse Bradshaw's four rings and take his place at the top of the list.

One thing I have learned, don't bet against him.

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Big Ben is alrready the best QB that the Steelers have ever had. Remember that Terry B was handing the ball to a Hall of Fame RB and had two Hall of Fame WRs.

Ben has won two Super Bowl's with Bettis at the end of his career and a role player and only Hines as a possible HoF wideout. I have been watching football for 40 years and Ben does things to escape pressure like no one I have ever seen. He is even better than John Elway who I think was the best until Ben came along.

papillon
04-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Bradshaw is only the best Steeler QB for those sentimentalists in the crowd. Ben is twice the QB Bradshaw ever was and he (Bradshaw) was damn good. But, with the game on the line, I mean any game, not just Super Bowls, who would you want at the helm? Give me Ben all day any day. He has the most wind in his first 5 years than any other quarterback in history and two Super Bowls.

Pappy

fezziwig
04-13-2009, 10:09 PM
As much as I live in the past, I'll probably have to go with Ben also.

papillon
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
As much as I live in the past, I'll probably have to go with Ben also.

It's okay, that doesn't mean that Bradshaw was a bad quarterback, it just means that Ben has played better than a HOFer and that's never a bad thing.

Pappy

DukieBoy
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Ed Brown, baby !!! Dropping the bombs to Buddy Dial. Brief time, but hey, ..........

Wiki:
With the Steelers
Before the 1962 season, Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers where he remained a back-up, now to Bobby Layne. Brown got another chance to start in 1963 for the Steelers and, still specializing in the long-ball, had his biggest numbers, completing 168 of 362 passes for 2,982 yards, 21 touchdowns, and 20 interceptions. The next year, 1964, Brown played his last year as a starter, throwing for 1,990 yards for the mediocre Steelers.

Gotta do something to liven up this off-season .........

aggiebones
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
"Big Ben is alrready the best QB that the Steelers have ever had. Remember that Terry B was handing the ball to a Hall of Fame RB and had two Hall of Fame WRs.

Ben has won two Super Bowl's with Bettis at the end of his career and a role player and only Hines as a possible HoF wideout. I have been watching football for 40 years and Ben does things to escape pressure like no one I have ever seen. He is even better than John Elway who I think was the best until Ben came along."

I think this is a stretch.

The defense did more than its part to hand Ben 2 Super Bowl rings. I will totally agree that Ben did exactly what he needed to do to win and that's enough for me. But Bradshaw had to put up some big numbers a couple times. I doubt Ben could have done that if he had to. Actually I think they are a collision course for equality between the 2. Both had great defenses of their time. Both struggled a bit in the first couple. Ben had a great drive to seal no.2, but they weren't rolling in points and Harrison gave him a 7 spot to work with. Bradshaw was a bomber, which is what he was required to do with those WRs. Ward and Holmes games are different, but Ward will have vast numbers when done and Holmes is still young, but has a Super Bowl MVP carrying them when Ward was injured.
In my mind Bradshaw = Ben
I'd rank Bradshaw a notch up since he has 4, just to push en a bit more :P

feltdizz
04-14-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree aggie.. sure Ben is great but Bradshaw was great too... and he called all his plays if I'm not mistaken. Ben is more of a magician in the backfield who escapes and throws darts....

If you look at SB highlights though Ben has one TD pass. It was a game changer and a classic given the time left but Bradshaw has 7 to 10 SB highlights...

Swann on the tipped catch falling down...
Swann on the sideline vs. the Vikes.. one of the best catches I have ever seen, pure beauty.
Stallworth...
Swann down the middle with the knee slide
Rocky Bleir with the incredible catch in the endzone..

I think 25 years without a SB has us a little skewed. The 70's teams made us who we are.

I don't think Ben is done yet so I'll wait until his career is over to give him the ultimate.