PDA

View Full Version : Can Bylsma one up Tomlin?

flippy
04-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Tomlin took 2 years to win the big one. And that was an incredible feat.

Can Bylsma upstage him?

He's got 25 games under his belt. Not even a 3rd of a season. And he's got the Pens playing like the best team in hockey right now.

The Pens were so close last year.

They have all the talent in the world.

And they've got this young coach who's come out of nowhere?

Sound familiar?

Is this too good to be real?

As usual, I have my hopes up!!!!

Jooser
04-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe you should start a Stanley Cup or Bust thread Flip. Just sayin'!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM

As a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins season ticket holder, I take offense to this "come out of nowhere" remark. :lol:

Herewegosteelers!
04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
That would be great! I have my hopes up too but I know the Flyers series will be tough right out of the bat. (which is a good thing for going further later!)

Discipline of Steel
04-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Just so you guys know, my name was Flip all through childhood...and my Mom still calls me that to this day!

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Just so you guys know, my name was Flip all through childhood...and my Mom still calls me that to this day!

Well, since this board already has a Flip, you have to be FLIP DOS.

(DOS has name flexibility...could be Spanish for Flip II, or an abbreviation of Discipline of Steel).

mshifko
04-14-2009, 10:30 PM

As a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins season ticket holder, I take offense to this "come out of nowhere" remark. :lol:

you're from scranton? are you a big office fan? dunder-mifflin all the way! the office is my favorite show of all time

flippy
04-15-2009, 06:43 AM

hmmmm...i always thought you came out of nowhere as well. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Live just north of Scranton. And, yes, I suppose you could say that is like coming from "out of nowhere." I'm surprised that the W-B/S Pens never made up any "From Dwight" jerseys to sell to the masses. I guess you could get one made up custom, though.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SKtHo14JIiI/AAAAAAAAU4U/wtKDRJKA4cA/s400/from+dwight.JPG

flippy
04-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Live just north of Scranton. And, yes, I suppose you could say that is like coming from "out of nowhere." I'm surprised that the W-B/S Pens never made up any "From Dwight" jerseys to sell to the masses. I guess you could get one made up custom, though.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SKtHo14JIiI/AAAAAAAAU4U/wtKDRJKA4cA/s400/from+dwight.JPG

I thought of you guys while watching the office last night. Michael mentioned giving one of Dwight's customers WB / S Pens tickets for an upcoming game.....must have said it at least 3x

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM

I thought of you guys while watching the office last night. Michael mentioned giving one of Dwight's customers WB / S Pens tickets for an upcoming game.....must have said it at least 3x

I took my son bowling a couple of weeks ago at Idle Hour Lanes, and they had a big sign promoting that "Ryan gets a job here on 'The Office' on 4-9-09." I watched the show, and what do you know...he did. :lol:

mshifko
04-17-2009, 06:09 PM

yes indeed...i love that show, by far the best on television in my opinion...if you're a big fan, the season 3 DVD is the best; the rest are good, but some of the episodes on season 3 will make you poop your panch...

flippy
05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Can the streak continue vs the Canes?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Hard to say..........

Tomlin was handed the gift of a team that had won it all two seasons earlier.

But, the Pens were in the finals just last year.

Which one of these two will have less to do with winning the big one???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Hard to say..........

Bylsma is an overpaid trash collector that is only winning because of Therrien's players. :stirpot :lol:

SteelBucks
05-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Tomlin took 2 years to win the big one. And that was an incredible feat.

Can Bylsma upstage him?

He's got 25 games under his belt. Not even a 3rd of a season. And he's got the Pens playing like the best team in hockey right now.

The Pens were so close last year.

They have all the talent in the world.

Sound familiar?

Is this too good to be real?

As usual, I have my hopes up!!!!

IMO, this Pens team is more talented than last years team. They got more playoff experience and better D. This could be a rebirth of the City of Champions motto.....too bad the Pirates are still playing like the Pirates of the last 16 years.

Discipline of Steel
05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Hard to say..........

Bylsma is an overpaid trash collector that is only winning because of Therrien's players. :stirpot :lol:

I thought he was an overpaid zamboni operator. Seriously, he is doing way better with Thierren's players than Thierren did.

snarky
05-15-2009, 07:41 PM
We'll never know how good he is until Crosby retires.

OK seriously, this post-season has been great. I think what we are are seeing this year is a team that is capable of rising to the occasion. And I think they learned a lot playing the veteran-laden Red Wings last year.

Not to get ahead of the CFs. But I would love a rematch with the wings.

Jigawatts
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
That hoser Crosby is a bust and Malkin is a lazy Russian. Bylsma was handed a decent
team to work with despite those two. If they would have just swung the Okobi trade
before the deadline they'd be drinking from Lord Stanleys cup for sure. But since Lemieux
can't run an organization properly I'm guessing they go 4-12 the rest of the playoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2009, 10:23 AM
That hoser Crosby is a bust and Malkin is a lazy Russian. Bylsma was handed a decent
team to work with despite those two. If they would have just swung the Okobi trade
before the deadline they'd be drinking from Lord Stanleys cup for sure. But since Lemieux
can't run an organization properly I'm guessing they go 4-12 the rest of the playoffs.

Since Chukki Okobi wasn't much of a center in football, perhaps he would make a better center in hockey. :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-16-2009, 11:52 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2271bxij]Hard to say..........

I thought he was an overpaid zamboni operator. Seriously, he is doing way better with Thierren's players than Thierren did.[/quote:2271bxij]

You guys are only saying that because he is white......RACISTS!!! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2009, 12:59 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1iq27bui]Hard to say..........

I thought he was an overpaid zamboni operator. Seriously, he is doing way better with Thierren's players than Thierren did.[/quote:1iq27bui]

You guys are only saying that because he is white......RACISTS!!! :lol:[/quote:1iq27bui]

Nah...we just don't understand how some dude from Michigan like Dan Bylsma can make a better hockey coach than a French Canadian like Michel Therrien.

Did anyone else find it odd that the Pittsburgh media always pronounced Therrien's name as an Anglicized "Michael" (like Jordan) as opposed to the true French "Michelle" pronunciation (like Obama's wife), which is the way the Wilkes-Barre media referred to him when he was the AHL coach down in my neck of the woods?

flippy
05-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Didn't realize Michelle came out of nowhere too ;)

flippy
05-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Coach B is one step closer. This story is amazing. Now if only the Pirates could get it together.

Anyone else annoyed by Cowher? When he leads the cheering in Carolina, they lose more than they win. Cowher's losing points in Pittsburgh and Raleigh.

papillon
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Coach B is one step closer. This story is amazing. Now if only the Pirates could get it together.

Anyone else annoyed by Cowher? When he leads the cheering in Carolina, they lose more than they win. Cowher's losing points in Pittsburgh and Raleigh.

I was annoyed very much, it was extremely disappointing to hear him supporting the Canes and now, since, the Pens knocked them out he's a Pens fan. The Pens don't need his support.

Pappy

flippy
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM

I was annoyed very much, it was extremely disappointing to hear him supporting the Canes and now, since, the Pens knocked them out he's a Pens fan. The Pens don't need his support.

Pappy

I really wonder if he's trying to gain popularity down here to gain support in becoming the Panther's HC?

In a sense it's no different than many of the Steelers coming to Pittsburgh and supporting the Pens. I don't mind it so much under the opposite scenario. And a Steelers player supporting the Caps or the Red Wings would be annoying to me.

But Bill's not a coach in Raleigh. He's just an average guy living in town. He shouldv'e stuck with his roots. No good reason not to.

Unless he plans to coach down here.

He's not the only one. I see lots of Steelers / Canes supporters down here.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Pappy

I really wonder if he's trying to gain popularity down here to gain support in becoming the Panther's HC?

In a sense it's no different than many of the Steelers coming to Pittsburgh and supporting the Pens. I don't mind it so much under the opposite scenario. And a Steelers player supporting the Caps or the Red Wings would be annoying to me.

But Bill's not a coach in Raleigh. He's just an average guy living in town. He shouldv'e stuck with his roots. No good reason not to.

Unless he plans to coach down here.

He's not the only one. I see lots of Steelers / Canes supporters down here.

Someone should tell Cowher that the Carolina Panthers had the same regular season record as the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers: 12-4. I don't see John Fox yielding that job to Cowher anytime soon.

If angling for a new job was his motivation, then he should have been up at the Caps-Pens games the previous series, because he might have a real shot at supplanting Jim Zorn next season, getting a fat paycheck from Danny Boy Snyder.

Uncle Rico
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Pappy

:Agree Check out the last entry on Cowher's all-time coaching record.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z278/notasociopath/cowher-postseason-chart.gif

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Pappy

:Agree Check out the last entry on Cowher's all-time coaching record.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z278/notasociopath/cowher-postseason-chart.gif

:Clap :lol:

snarky
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
If only Jerome Bettis was retiring from professional hockey this year, then Bettman could put the fix in so the Bus would win his first Stanley Cup in his home town.

flippy
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Not only would Bylsma one up Tomlin if we pull out the win on Friday, but this playoff run might even be more impressive than the Steelers winning XL.

Oviedo
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Not only would Bylsma one up Tomlin if we pull out the win on Friday, but this playoff run might even be more impressive than the Steelers winning XL.

If the Penguins win on Friday it will probably be the greatest play off victory in Pittsburgh sports history with the possible exception of Mazeroski's home run.

papillon
06-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Why would you rank this above the 2005 Steelers playoff run? The Penguins had a disappointing regular season, but, were in the finals last year. They should have performed better during the regular season and simply fulfilling their potential right now.

I know Bylsma came on the scene mid-season and has done good things, but winning Friday won't supersede the 2005 Super Bowl run as a 6th seed, IMHO.

Pappy

Oviedo
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Why would you rank this above the 2005 Steelers playoff run? The Penguins had a disappointing regular season, but, were in the finals last year. They should have performed better during the regular season and simply fulfilling their potential right now.

I know Bylsma came on the scene mid-season and has done good things, but winning Friday won't supersede the 2005 Super Bowl run as a 6th seed, IMHO.

Pappy

Because of who they have beaten along the way and the factthey would beat the best team in hockey in their building makes this a much bigger accomplishment than Super Bowl XL. Add into that that you have 22 year old kids leading a team against some of the most talented and experienced play off veterans in the NHL makes winning Friday something truly remarkable.

flippy
06-10-2009, 11:30 AM

Pappy

Because of who they have beaten along the way and the factthey would beat the best team in hockey in their building makes this a much bigger accomplishment than Super Bowl XL. Add into that that you have 22 year old kids leading a team against some of the most talented and experienced play off veterans in the NHL makes winning Friday something truly remarkable.

Exactly. We're overcoming a dynasty. A team that's won 11 Stanley Cups.

We're doing it with 20 year old kids leading the way against arguably the most dominant team in all of sports.

And we were in disarray just a few months ago.

And we've got a rookie coach.

It's downright unbelievable we're on the doorstep of winning the cup.

People gave up on the Pens mid season.

No one ever gave up on the Steelers in the same way.

RuthlessBurgher
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Pappy

But the '05 Steelers made the playoffs as the 6th seed out of 6 teams, played the top 3 seeds in the AFC all on the road, then beat the top ranked team in the NFC in the Super Bowl.

These Penguins made the playoffs as the 4th seed out of 8 teams, beat the 5th ranked Flyers, the 2nd ranked Capitals, and 6th ranked Hurricanes, and now face Detroit, the 2nd ranked team in the Western Conference. They had home ice advantage in 2 out of those 4 series (against Philadelphia and Carolina). They did not have to play the top seed in either conference (Boston or San Jose).

It's not even a close comparison in my mind. The playoff run for the Super Bowl XL winning Steelers in a landslide.

MicroBioSteel
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Argue all you will....but damn its good to be from Pittsburgh! :tt2

Oviedo
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Pappy

But the '05 Steelers made the playoffs as the 6th seed out of 6 teams, played the top 3 seeds in the AFC all on the road, then beat the top ranked team in the NFC in the Super Bowl.

These Penguins made the playoffs as the 4th seed out of 8 teams, beat the 5th ranked Flyers, the 2nd ranked Capitals, and 6th ranked Hurricanes, and now face Detroit, the 2nd ranked team in the Western Conference. They had home ice advantage in 2 out of those 4 series (against Philadelphia and Carolina). They did not have to play the top seed in either conference (Boston or San Jose).

It's not even a close comparison in my mind. The playoff run for the Super Bowl XL winning Steelers in a landslide.

The NHL is not built on parity like the NFL is. Winning on the road in the NFL is much easier than in the NHL as this series has proven thus far in spades. Also, the Seattle Seahawks were not in Red Wings universe when it comes to dominance and talent in their respective sports. The Seahawks got a pass in the regular season playing in the weakest division in the weakest conference.

The Red Wings are the most dominant team in the NHL over the past decade. The Seahawks were one year wonders.

Sorry guys, but no comparison on the level of the accomplishment if the Penguins win. It doesn't make you any less of a Steelers fan to give the Penguins the credit they deserve for making the run they are making nor does it diminish the Steelers' Super Bowl win.

As I said, the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup this year would be like the Pirates winning the World Series in 1960.

BURGH86STEEL
06-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Pappy

The NHL is not built on parity like the NFL is. Winning on the road in the NFL is much easier than in the NHL as this series has proven thus far in spades. Also, the Seattle Seahawks were not in Red Wings universe when it comes to dominance and talent in their respective sports. The Seahawks got a pass in the regular season playing in the weakest division in the weakest conference.

The Red Wings are the most dominant team in the NHL over the past decade. The Seahawks were one year wonders.

Sorry guys, but no comparison on the level of the accomplishment if the Penguins win. It doesn't make you any less of a Steelers fan to give the Penguins the credit they deserve for making the run they are making nor does it diminish the Steelers' Super Bowl win.

As I said, the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup this year would be like the Pirates winning the World Series in 1960.

I think it is much more difficult to win on the road in the NFL than it is in hockey.

motter1975
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Argue all you will....but damn its good to be from Pittsburgh! :tt2

Amen to that! I think that's something that all of us from the 'burgh can agree with!

RuthlessBurgher
06-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Pappy

I wouldn't disagree with you if we were just comparing the Red Wings to the Seahawks. But if you look at the entire playoff run (Flyers, Capitals, Hurricanes vs. Bengals, Colts, Broncos), I think that the SBXL Steelers had the tougher road to haul, especially since every one of those games were on the road.

As the guy who had been keeping the NHL forum somewhat alive throughout much of the year (I'm very appreciative of the contributions of guys like Jiga, DoS, Hoppy, D Rock, etc. over there during this playoff run so I am not just talking to myself), I realize that the Stanley Cup is likely the most difficult trophy to win. Our six game opening round series against the Flyers ended on the night of the NFL draft...do you realize how long ago that was? Football season starts in September and the Lombardi Trophy is awarded in February. Hockey season starts one month later than the NFL in October, but the Stanley Cup isn't awarded until four months later than the NFL in June! Football players get a 6 month offseason while hockey players (at least the ones that go deep in the playoffs like Detroit and Pittsburgh two years in a row) have a 3 month offseason. How sick is that?

In football history, no team had made a run like the Steelers in '05 (until, amazingly, the Giants made a similar run two years later). Would there be a similar historical significance in hockey annals for the Penguins run this year if they win the Cup? Not necessarily. They will certainly be compared to the Edmonton team in 83-84 that came back to put a halt to the Islander dynasty one year after losing to them in the Finals, but that's about it.

Snatch98
06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I told my gf last night while basking in the glory of the victory that if the Pens win Friday it's going to be bigger than either recent Super Bowl victory. I absolutely despise the Detroit Red Wings probably in the same way Browns fans despise our fans base and the Steelers because the Red Wings/Steelers are so good. If we can pull it out with a rookie coach and a extraordinarily young team it's going to be HUGE. It could catapult the team in to dynasty mode with the momentum and confidence.

Man it will be nuts. I hope it happens.

Snatch98
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Pappy

I wouldn't disagree with you if we were just comparing the Red Wings to the Seahawks. But if you look at the entire playoff run (Flyers, Capitals, Hurricanes vs. Bengals, Colts, Broncos), I think that the SBXL Steelers had the tougher road to haul, especially since every one of those games were on the road.

As the guy who had been keeping the NHL forum somewhat alive throughout much of the year (I'm very appreciative of the contributions of guys like Jiga, DoS, Hoppy, D Rock, etc. over there during this playoff run so I am not just talking to myself), I realize that the Stanley Cup is likely the most difficult trophy to win. Our six game opening round series against the Flyers ended on the night of the NFL draft...do you realize how long ago that was? Football season starts in September and the Lombardi Trophy is awarded in February. Hockey season starts one month later than the NFL in October, but the Stanley Cup isn't awarded until four months later than the NFL in June! Football players get a 6 month offseason while hockey players (at least the ones that go deep in the playoffs like Detroit and Pittsburgh two years in a row) have a 3 month offseason. How sick is that?

In football history, no team had made a run like the Steelers in '05 (until, amazingly, the Giants made a similar run two years later). Would there be a similar historical significance in hockey annals for the Penguins run this year if they win the Cup? Not necessarily. They will certainly be compared to the Edmonton team in 83-84 that came back to put a halt to the Islander dynasty one year after losing to them in the Finals, but that's about it.

Tougher road wise I disagree. The Pens ran over a very tough Philadelphia team and went the distance with Washington and walked them in game 7. The Hurricanes were tired so that was sort of a push over series. The difference is each series is best of 7 so more games for each team obviously and most in a short span of time. You then weigh in factors already mentioned with the home ice advantage being greater than home field advantage and the Pens IMO have had a tougher road. Either way all of this is like arguing which you would rather own. A lambo or a Ferrari. I'll take both happily and brag about each year after year.

EDIT: and "that's about it" is a crazy comment to make. If the Pens do what the Oilers did it will carry great historical significance. Its a HUGE DEAL and if it happens man Pittsburgh is going to explode. Two huge titles in the same year both with new and newer coaches. The Steelers are already in the stratosphere but this could catapult the Pens. We could be on the cusp of watching title after title for the rest of this decade and then some...

ikestops85
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not a huge hockey fan but I think it would be fantastic if they win the cup. You could start calling Pittsburgh the City of Champions again

Except for the
P
i
r
a
t
e
s

who bring the reputation down. :(

papillon
06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
The other side of a 7 game series versus a one and done scenario is that if you have a bad game (unless, it's an elimination game) you can rebound and still win a 7 game series. If a football team has a bad day or the other team plays off the charts and you lose, you're done until the following year. Each game in a single elimination tournament has more pressure than each game in a series (again, unless, it's the elimination game and that's why 7th games of series' tournaments are awesome).

I don't subscribe to 7 game series being easier to win than a one game elimination tournament. Each has its merits and weakness and winning either is a tremendous feat. That's why repeating in any sport is rather difficult and doesn't happen that often, too many things can go wrong on the way to the title.

I'll take the 2005 Steelers beating the top 3 AFC teams and the best NFC team over the Pens beating the #6, #5 and #2 seeds and then the #2 in the other conference. One thing for sure, regardless of which side of this argument you ascribe to Friday night is going to be a great game. And, if the Pens should win Pittsburgh will hold two of the 4 major championships for 2009. :Bow :Bow :tt2

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Tougher road wise I disagree. The Pens ran over a very tough Philadelphia team and went the distance with Washington and walked them in game 7. The Hurricanes were tired so that was sort of a push over series. The difference is each series is best of 7 so more games for each team obviously and most in a short span of time. You then weigh in factors already mentioned with the home ice advantage being greater than home field advantage and the Pens IMO have had a tougher road. Either way all of this is like arguing which you would rather own. A lambo or a Ferrari. I'll take both happily and brag about each year after year.

EDIT: and "that's about it" is a crazy comment to make. If the Pens do what the Oilers did it will carry great historical significance. Its a HUGE DEAL and if it happens man Pittsburgh is going to explode. Two huge titles in the same year both with new and newer coaches. The Steelers are already in the stratosphere but this could catapult the Pens. We could be on the cusp of watching title after title for the rest of this decade and then some...

I agree that the Penguins winning a Stanley Cup will be absolutely monumental for Pittsburgh. I was just saying that the way the Steelers won Super Bowl XL was historically special from the perspective of the entire NFL, because a 6th seed had never won a Super Bowl before and no team had ever beaten the top 3 teams in their conference and the top seed in the other conference like that. From an entire NHL perspective, a Penguin win will also be special, because it will even further elevate young stars like Crosby and Malkin, but in terms of overall historical significance, it is not as if this team is taking down the Islanders after they won the Cup in each of the 4 previous seasons. Detroit has 4 Cups in this recent era, but they were spread out between '97, '98, '02, and '08. The Oilers beat the Islanders in '84 after the Islanders won the Cup in '80, '81, '82, and '83.

flippy
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not a huge hockey fan but I think it would be fantastic if they win the cup. You could start calling Pittsburgh the City of Champions again

Except for the
P
i
r
a
t
e
s

who bring the reputation down. :(

If the Pirates win the World Series this year, that will be way more impressive than the Steelers or the Pens.

flippy
06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
The other side of a 7 game series versus a one and done scenario is that if you have a bad game (unless, it's an elimination game) you can rebound and still win a 7 game series. If a football team has a bad day or the other team plays off the charts and you lose, you're done until the following year. Each game in a single elimination tournament has more pressure than each game in a series (again, unless, it's the elimination game and that's why 7th games of series' tournaments are awesome).

I don't subscribe to 7 game series being easier to win than a one game elimination tournament. Each has its merits and weakness and winning either is a tremendous feat. That's why repeating in any sport is rather difficult and doesn't happen that often, too many things can go wrong on the way to the title.

I'll take the 2005 Steelers beating the top 3 AFC teams and the best NFC team over the Pens beating the #6, #5 and #2 seeds and then the #2 in the other conference. One thing for sure, regardless of which side of this argument you ascribe to Friday night is going to be a great game. And, if the Pens should win Pittsburgh will hold two of the 4 major championships for 2009. :Bow :Bow :tt2

Pappy

In a 7 game series, usually the better team ends up winning. Upsets are more common in 1 and done scenarios.

And this is very true for hockey and I think it's the reason you see so many game 7s in hockey finals versus other sports.

flippy
06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
We did it!!!!

And now Bylsma's done in half a season what it took Tomlin 2 seasons to accomplish.

Can we be the city of champs for a long time?

Let's go Buccos!!!!!

Your turn....

Jooser
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp73/peacexoxjonas14/picture2life_32428_original.gif

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b32/spiffywonderboy/5709/penguins1.gif

Congrats Pens!!!!!

Flasteel
06-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree that the Penguins winning a Stanley Cup will be absolutely monumental for Pittsburgh. I was just saying that the way the Steelers won Super Bowl XL was historically special from the perspective of the entire NFL, because a 6th seed had never won a Super Bowl before and no team had ever beaten the top 3 teams in their conference and the top seed in the other conference like that. From an entire NHL perspective, a Penguin win will also be special, because it will even further elevate young stars like Crosby and Malkin, but in terms of overall historical significance, it is not as if this team is taking down the Islanders after they won the Cup in each of the 4 previous seasons. Detroit has 4 Cups in this recent era, but they were spread out between '97, '98, '02, and '08. The Oilers beat the Islanders in '84 after the Islanders won the Cup in '80, '81, '82, and '83.

RB is correct in this debate.
Those who argue with him are wrong...and that's about it. :D
Just remember we're talking football versus hockey here folks; this isn't stinkin' Canada (no offense to any Canuk brethren). No matter how significant the accomplishment in hockey, it will lose out to any similar comparison in football by virtue of the established pecking order.

Besides, Ruthless has made a stronger argument than any of the Pens supporters in my opinion...then again I don't know dick about hockey.

Regardless, congrats to all you Pens fans and Pittsburgh natives. :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2009, 12:37 PM
RB is correct in every debate.

Those who argue with him are wrong...and that's about it. :D

Besides, Ruthless has made a stronger argument than everyone.

Fixed that for you. :wink: :P

Seriously, though, those that are arguing that Bylsma's accomplishment, taking the team from 10th place in the East and out of the playoff picture when he was hired, and vaulting them to a 4th place finish by going 18-3-4 in his 25 games down the stretch, should remember that the '05 Steelers were 7-5 after losing their third straight game to Cincinnati and seemingly out of the playoff picture themselves, needing to go 4-0 down the stretch to even qualify as the 6th and final seed in the playoffs in order to make their history run on the road in the playoffs through a #3, #2, and two #1 seeds.

This is not to diminish anything the Penguins have done, though. There are some remarkable similarities here. They clinched all 4 series on the road (game 6 in Philadelphia, game 7 in Washington, game 4 in Carolina, and game 7 in Detroit), with both the XL Steelers and the '09 Penguins hoisting their respective trophies in Motown.

Watching that game in my living room last night with my parents visiting felt a lot like when my parents watched the Indy and Denver playoff games after the '05 season with us from the living room of our old house. It has been that long since I experienced something of that magnitude with my entire family around me (because I attended Super Bowl XL in Detroit plus the playoff games last year at Heinz against the Chargers and Ravens with my father, and attended Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa with my brother).

It was fun having my soon-to-be-8-year-old son there with me and my dad (a few days ago, he picked a Pittsburgh Penguins cake for his birthday next week that says "Jake Wescott #8" instead of "Happy Birthday Jake" on it). He was hiding his six-inch high replica of the Stanley Cup hiding in his shirt throughout the third period, and did not pull it out until the actual one was awarded.

Unfortunately, my 4 year old daughter slept through much of the third period...I think she would have been more excited if our local W-B/S Pens won the AHL's Calder Cup instead, since she can relate to them better from having attended those games personally (she gets into games somewhat when she is there in person, but still does not have the attention span to follow any televised sporting event...then again, she is still only 4).

flippy
06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
The Pens came back from 2 series down 2-0. No team has done this in a Stanley Cup run.

It would have been like the Steelers coming back from a 21-0 deficit in the SuperBowl.

Also 7 games mean the better team ends up winning. In the 1 and done sports, there's can be more luck to it.

And the Pens came back with a new coach / new system. It wasn't like Cowher was replaced with Tomlin in 05 who then lead them to the SuperBowl.

The Steelers had a lot of veteran players and coaches in the XL run.

The Pens had a bunch of kids that are younger than many NFL rookies beating a dynasty with a rookie coach.

I think there's a solid argument here for the Pens if you want to see it.

MeetJoeGreene
06-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Now that we have actually won and it has sunk in, I am beginning to appreciate what Bylsma has done. A ROOKIE coach inheriting a team out of contention midway through the season, raising them to a 4 or 5 seed, and then winning the cup. Truly an outstanding feat. It does rival Tomlin's accomplishment and what the Steelers did to win SB XL.

The Pens came back from 2 series down 2-0. No team has done this in a Stanley Cup run.

It would have been like the Steelers coming back from a 21-0 deficit in the SuperBowl.

Also 7 games mean the better team ends up winning. In the 1 and done sports, there's can be more luck to it.

And the Pens came back with a new coach / new system. It wasn't like Cowher was replaced with Tomlin in 05 who then lead them to the SuperBowl.

The Steelers had a lot of veteran players and coaches in the XL run.

The Pens had a bunch of kids that are younger than many NFL rookies beating a dynasty with a rookie coach.

I think there's a solid argument here for the Pens if you want to see it.