ESPN reports Leftwich signs w/ Tampa. Gotta sign Charlie now

SteelerNation1
04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
2 year deal...will have to beat out Luke McCown

stlrz d
04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Source: QB Leftwich, Bucs agree to 2-year deal

04/12 7:02 AM

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=4062212 (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&sa=NFL&eid=4062212)

True Fan
04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
nice work FO :roll:

AkronSteel
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I figured this would happen at some point. He is going to get the opportunity to compete with Luke McCown for the starting job, and I'm sure he will win it. He was a good stop gap guy for us for last year but he knew he was never going to get the opportunity to start in the Burgh! I'm pretty confident that Dennis Dixon is going to step into the backup job this year and Charlie will be our 3rd QB/emergency/pseudo QB coach! I don't think this is a big deal at all. Good luck Lefty....hope you win that starting job in Tampa! Thanks for your service.

:2c

Flasteel
04-12-2009, 11:02 AM

C'mon man. Who didn't expect this to go down the minute we signed him? I have zero problem with Dixon and Batch (assuming he does come back) battling it out for the number 2 spot.

Steelgal
04-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Certainly can't begrudge a guy who would rather sign with a team and knows he has the possibility of competing for the starting job. As for the FO, I know they would have loved to keep him, but they have always done the classy thing and let players go elsewhere when they thought it was a better situation for them (whether it was more money or playing time).

stlrz d
04-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Yeah...we should have over paid for him so we wouldn't be able to sign Harrison.

SteelBucks
04-12-2009, 11:11 AM

The Steelers offered him a two year contract. What else do you want?

True Fan
04-12-2009, 11:11 AM

C'mon man. Who didn't expect this to go down the minute we signed him? I have zero problem with Dixon and Batch (assuming he does come back) battling it out for the number 2 spot.

seriously, batch just plain sucks. the steelers paid him 1.6 last year(i believe)and then offer lefty less than half of that. wtf? i dont have a problem with lefty looking to improve his situation, but by lowballing his ass shows no respect for the guy. what about the bs about 'taking care of your own'. they'll way over pay for fatass starks for 2 years without a longterm deal in sight and pay worthless colon big money but they wont stabalize our qb situation.

SteelHoss
04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I figured this would happen at some point. He is going to get the opportunity to compete with Luke McCown for the starting job, and I'm sure he will win it. He was a good stop gap guy for us for last year but he knew he was never going to get the opportunity to start in the Burgh! I'm pretty confident that Dennis Dixon is going to step into the backup job this year and Charlie will be our 3rd QB/emergency/pseudo QB coach! I don't think this is a big deal at all. Good luck Lefty....hope you win that starting job in Tampa! Thanks for your service.

Very well said and :Agree

Flasteel
04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
[quote="True Fan":15343qn5]nice work FO :roll:

seriously, batch just plain sucks. the steelers paid him 1.6 last year(i believe)and then offer lefty less than half of that. wtf? i dont have a problem with lefty looking to improve his situation, but by lowballing his bad word shows no respect for the guy. what about the bs about 'taking care of your own'. they'll way over pay for fatass starks for 2 years without a longterm deal in sight and pay worthless colon big money but they wont stabalize our qb situation.[/quote:15343qn5]

Where do you get that Batch sucks? How do you figure that our QB situation is unstabilized? Leftwich was nothing more than a stop-gap guy who stepped in when we lost Batch last season. Leftwich wants to start and everyone associated with this team knows that. Batch brings quality experience, a head for the game, and strong Pittsburgh ties to the table. Having him serve as our two or maybe number three quarterback is actually a heck of a lot better for the development of Dixon than having Leftwich around.

I really don't see what your hang-up is and I could practically guarantee that Lefty doesn't feel disrespected - so why do you see it that way?

It's all good True Fan...all good.

SteelBucks
04-12-2009, 12:42 PM
[quote="True Fan":cxzp5tjm]nice work FO :roll:

seriously, batch just plain sucks. the steelers paid him 1.6 last year(i believe)and then offer lefty less than half of that. wtf? i dont have a problem with lefty looking to improve his situation, but by lowballing his bad word shows no respect for the guy. what about the bs about 'taking care of your own'. they'll way over pay for fatass starks for 2 years without a longterm deal in sight and pay worthless colon big money but they wont stabalize our qb situation.[/quote:cxzp5tjm]

Starks is a starter. Colon is a starter. Leftwich is not.

Plus, in the next 12 months the Steelers have several players who will become free agents (Hines, Heath, Hampton, Keisel,.....). I'd rather focus on them than a backup QB.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM
[quote="True Fan":2t44t2yi]nice work FO :roll:

seriously, batch just plain sucks. the steelers paid him 1.6 last year(i believe)and then offer lefty less than half of that. wtf? i dont have a problem with lefty looking to improve his situation, but by lowballing his bad word shows no respect for the guy. what about the bs about 'taking care of your own'. they'll way over pay for fatass starks for 2 years without a longterm deal in sight and pay worthless colon big money but they wont stabalize our qb situation.

Where do you get that Batch sucks? How do you figure that our QB situation is unstabilized? Leftwich was nothing more than a stop-gap guy who stepped in when we lost Batch last season. Leftwich wants to start and everyone associated with this team knows that. Batch brings quality experience, a head for the game, and strong Pittsburgh ties to the table. Having him serve as our two or maybe number three quarterback is actually a heck of a lot better for the development of Dixon than having Leftwich around.

I really don't see what your hang-up is and I could practically guarantee that Lefty doesn't feel disrespected - so why do you see it that way?

It's all good True Fan...all good.[/quote:2t44t2yi]

Some people will blame the FO if it rains. Some people need to realize it is now about what the Steelers want but what Leftwich wants.

SS Laser
04-12-2009, 01:40 PM
If tampa does not keep lefty around in 2yrs he can come back to the burgh as a good 3rd string.

Bandito
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
After a year learning the system, it's time for Dixon to win the 2nd string quarterback job. Batch will be good insurance. Just wish he had a arm.

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
At last, everything is right in this world. Dixon can elevate himself to 2nd string QB and we can work some Dixon gagdets into the O. Batch elevates to player/coach. Leftwich wins a starting job this summer and finally we dont have to be subjected to 'The Bucs absolutely have no choice but to draft Josh Freeman at #19' anymore. Thank God on Easter.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
[quote="True Fan":uekc8gau]nice work FO :roll:

seriously, batch just plain sucks. the steelers paid him 1.6 last year(i believe)and then offer lefty less than half of that. wtf? i dont have a problem with lefty looking to improve his situation, but by lowballing his bad word shows no respect for the guy. what about the bs about 'taking care of your own'. they'll way over pay for fatass starks for 2 years without a longterm deal in sight and pay worthless colon big money but they wont stabalize our qb situation.

It's all good True Fan...all good.[/quote:uekc8gau]

I think Batch sucks too. Strong Pittsburgh ties don't help you a lick when you have defenders barrelling down on your ass. If Ben goes down, and Batch has to start, he will last about 2 quarters before he is out with an injury.

They better hope Dixon is ready to go at #2 or bring in another stop gap type of guy somewhat near the quality of Leftwich.

Djfan
04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Batch is the best 2nd string guy in a while. The future of Dixon is real. We are fine at QB. Put the money towards signing guys we need.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Lefty showed his desire to remain in Pittsburgh by stating publicly that if he did not have an opportunity to compete for a starting gig somewhere, he wanted to be a Steeler backup (which is why he wouldn't sign in Washington to be a backup).

We showed our desire to keep him by offering a 2 year deal.

But Tampa offered something that we could not...a chance to start again. With only Luke McCown, Brian Griese, and Josh Johnson at QB, this was his best chance to start. That was the most important thing to Byron all along...not money or anything like that. I will wish him well working for Tomlin's old assistant DB coach in Tampa, Raheem Morris.

True Fan
04-12-2009, 06:42 PM
[quote="True Fan":3vvpt4ep]nice work FO :roll:

Starks is a starter. Colon is a starter. Leftwich is not.

Plus, in the next 12 months the Steelers have several players who will become free agents (Hines, Heath, Hampton, Keisel,.....). I'd rather focus on them than a backup QB.[/quote:3vvpt4ep]

starks and colon are starters only because this organization has chosen to ignore these position for a few years. i didn't say that the steelers should offer lefty starter money. they should have offered him as much or more than what batch has been receiving. i seriously doubt that the extra 5 to 6 hundred thousand that should have been offered to lefty would be enough to sign all the above mentioned.

True Fan
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
[quote="True Fan":3onbnfpm]nice work FO :roll:

Some people will blame the FO if it rains. Some people need to realize it is now about what the Steelers want but what Leftwich wants.[/quote:3onbnfpm]

then why offer the contract?

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
[quote=Flasteel][quote="True Fan":2them7cx]nice work FO :roll:

Plus, in the next 12 months the Steelers have several players who will become free agents (Hines, Heath, Hampton, Keisel,.....). I'd rather focus on them than a backup QB.[/quote:2them7cx]

starks and colon are starters only because this organization has chosen to ignore these position for a few years. i didn't say that the steelers should offer lefty starter money. they should have offered him as much or more than what batch has been receiving. i seriously doubt that the extra 5 to 6 hundred thousand that should have been offered to lefty would be enough to sign all the above mentioned.[/quote:2them7cx]

Maybe Batch means more to the Steelers organization than Leftwich. They never would have brought Leftwich in had Batch not been injured. Batch has won more games when subbing for Ben than Lefty, just in case any of us forget.

Flasteel
04-12-2009, 07:22 PM
[quote=SteelerBuck][quote="True Fan":2brw6ja7]

Plus, in the next 12 months the Steelers have several players who will become free agents (Hines, Heath, Hampton, Keisel,.....). I'd rather focus on them than a backup QB.

starks and colon are starters only because this organization has chosen to ignore these position for a few years. i didn't say that the steelers should offer lefty starter money. they should have offered him as much or more than what batch has been receiving. i seriously doubt that the extra 5 to 6 hundred thousand that should have been offered to lefty would be enough to sign all the above mentioned.[/quote:2brw6ja7]

Maybe Batch means more to the Steelers organization than Leftwich. They never would have brought Leftwich in had Batch not been injured. Batch has won more games when subbing for Ben than Lefty, just in case any of us forget.[/quote:2brw6ja7]

Yeah, but Batch sucks.
:P

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Batch WAS a good backup, back when we had a good running game and he could hand it off.

I really hope Dixon takes the primary backup role and can get on the field a little this year in some packages.

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
The year before he got hurt, everyone was calling Batch the best backup QB in the league. But, who knows how his skills may have diminished over this past year. I firmly believe Dixon will ascend to 2nd string and Batch will be emergency/asst coach.

What a great draft move BTW, to pick up Dixon in the 5th round if he turns out to be a quality QB as expected.

Steel Life
04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I preferred that Leftwich stay over Batch because Charlie doesn't have the arm to keep us going for an extended period of time if Ben goes down. Don't get me wrong, I like Batch, but more for his personality & dedication to the city, & I think it's time for him to move on to the coaching ranks.

But fear not! If Ben goes down, the Bucs & Steelers have a history of trades & if Byron doesn't get the starting gig & he'd be a prized commodity for both parties. That being said, I'll channel Tomlin & say "what's done is done" & now what needs to be done is clear & we don't have to break the bank to do it...although it might be interesting to see what veterans get cut this summer.

Bring in Nate Davis for 4th arm!

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
If all goes as planned, Charlie wouldnt have to pick up the ball in that situation, although he would be one step closer. Lets cross our fingers for a good OT this draft.

Sugar
04-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Well, it looks like Brian Griese might be free soon. :lol:

DukieBoy
04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Wishing Byron the best in TB. He's been a Steeler kind of team guy while he's been here, and much appreciated.

Time to move on. They will sign Charlie, but I'm guessing they draft another project QB in mid-rounds who will at least be a practice squad member for a year or so until Charlie goes into coaching.

feltdizz
04-13-2009, 12:15 AM
of course Lefty was better then Batch... this is why he was gone. We all knew Lefty was too good for a back up role...

Back up QB's are not starters... they are there to fill in for 1 to 2 games at the most. Who has had better back ups then us the last 4 years?

Batch is getting old and I think Dixon is our #2 anyway...

Djfan
04-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I hope Dixon has what it takes to EARN the number 2 slot, and Batch stays as number three.

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Realistically, does anyone really think that Batch or Dixon could win three games in a row if Big Ben was out with an injury? Does anyone think that they could lead us to the play offs if Big ben had a season ending injury?

"Good guy" Batch and Dixon just do not have what it takes to win big games. IMO neither is the answer as a back up. Not sure what QB is still out there but I would much rather have a former starter who could step in and make a difference.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Realistically, does anyone really think that Batch or Dixon could win three games in a row if Big Ben was out with an injury? Does anyone think that they could lead us to the play offs if Big ben had a season ending injury?

"Good guy" Batch and Dixon just do not have what it takes to win big games. IMO neither is the answer as a back up. Not sure what QB is still out there but I would much rather have a former starter who could step in and make a difference.

FYI: Veteran QB's who are currently available (including the team that they played for last year and their age)

Brock Berlin, Rams. Age: 28.
Charlie Batch, Steelers. Age: 34.
Rex Grossman, Bears. Age: 29.
J.P. Losman, Bills. Age: 28.
Gus Frerotte, Vikings. Age: 38.
Brooks Bollinger, Cowboys. Age: 29.
Tim Rattay, Cardinals. Age: 32.
Quinn Gray, Chiefs. Age: 30.
Charlie Frye, Seahawks. Age: 28.
Craig Nall, Texans. Age: 30.
Marques Tuiasosopo, Raiders. Age: 30.
Lester Ricard, Panthers. Age: 25.
Darrell Hackney, Broncos. Age: 26.
Ken Dorsey, Browns. Age: 28.
Trent Green, Rams. Age: 39.
Jamie Martin, 49ers. Age: 39.
Anthony Morelli, Cardinals. Age: 24.
Brad Johnson, Cowboys. Age: 40.

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

FYI: Veteran QB's who are currently available (including the team that they played for last year and their age)

Ferrotte is a local kid. I think he would be better than Charlie. Hre at least has more game experience more recently. Grossman and Losman would IMO also be better.

phillyesq
04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Per profootballtalk.com, here are the terms of Leftwich's deal:

Leftwich Cashes In
Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2009, 8:45 a.m. EDT

The Steelers reportedly were willing to pay quarterback Byron Leftwich an amount close to the veteran minimum salary for the next two seasons.

The Buccaneers coughed up a much more significant package.

According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, Leftwich’s deal is worth $7.5 million over two years.

But, as a practical matter, it’s a one-year, $2 million contract with a team option for a second year at $5.5 million. He’ll make $2 million this year, and there’s a $3.5 million roster bonus due in early 2010.

It’s likely no coincidence that Leftwich’s total package matches the value of the two-year contract given to the largely unproven Luke McCown. But McCown will earn $5 million this year, via a $2.5 million signing bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.

If the respective contracts mean anything, the team regards McCown as the favorite to win the starting job.

That said, we wouldn’t bet against Leftwich.

With Leftwich, Nate and McFadden leaving, and no replacements signed, the Steelers should be in line for 3 comp picks next year. They will all likely be later picks, but it will give the Steelers some disposable late round picks to help move up and target guys they want.

stlrz d
04-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Per profootballtalk.com, here are the terms of Leftwich's deal:

Leftwich Cashes In
Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2009, 8:45 a.m. EDT

The Steelers reportedly were willing to pay quarterback Byron Leftwich an amount close to the veteran minimum salary for the next two seasons.

The Buccaneers coughed up a much more significant package.

According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, Leftwich’s deal is worth $7.5 million over two years.

But, as a practical matter, it’s a one-year, $2 million contract with a team option for a second year at $5.5 million. He’ll make $2 million this year, and there’s a $3.5 million roster bonus due in early 2010.

It’s likely no coincidence that Leftwich’s total package matches the value of the two-year contract given to the largely unproven Luke McCown. But McCown will earn $5 million this year, via a $2.5 million signing bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.

If the respective contracts mean anything, the team regards McCown as the favorite to win the starting job.

That said, we wouldn’t bet against Leftwich.

With Leftwich, Nate and McFadden leaving, and no replacements signed, the Steelers should be in line for 3 comp picks next year. They will all likely be later picks, but it will give the Steelers some disposable late round picks to help move up and target guys they want.

I don't believe comp picks can be traded.

frankthetank1
04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
[quote="True Fan":2cwfd213]nice work FO :roll:

seriously, batch just plain sucks. the steelers paid him 1.6 last year(i believe)and then offer lefty less than half of that. wtf? i dont have a problem with lefty looking to improve his situation, but by lowballing his bad word shows no respect for the guy. what about the bs about 'taking care of your own'. they'll way over pay for fatass starks for 2 years without a longterm deal in sight and pay worthless colon big money but they wont stabalize our qb situation.[/quote:2cwfd213]

i dont want batch being the number two guy either but it really doesnt matter what the steelers offer was. any offer they make is for a back up role. starks was actually ok last season and lt's are not all that easy to find in case you dont know. colon sucks but a million bucks isnt exactly a whole lot of money. i suppose you would of broke the bank with leftwich and then not be able to sign harrison, heath, hines and exteneding woodleys contract?

phillyesq
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't believe comp picks can be traded.

Correct. Comp picks can't be traded, but having comp picks gives a bit more flexibility to trade regular picks.

frankthetank1
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM

wow what a bunch of crap. i would rather have charlie behind ben than any of those bums

True Fan
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
[quote="True Fan":2biyznxx]nice work FO :roll:

i dont want batch being the number two guy either but it really doesnt matter what the steelers offer was. any offer they make is for a back up role. starks was actually ok last season and lt's are not all that easy to find in case you dont know. colon sucks but a million bucks isnt exactly a whole lot of money. i suppose you would of broke the bank with leftwich and then not be able to sign harrison, heath, hines and exteneding woodleys contract?[/quote:2biyznxx]

yup. that's what i said to do, 'break the bank for lefty :roll:
let me guess, you're one of those fans that would have said 'great move' if the steelers would have offered lefty a million more and he took it.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2009, 11:44 AM

:Agree

Although if Batch DOESN'T Re-sign, then we will probably look for another cheap, old vet as well.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
[quote="True Fan":lo216762]nice work FO :roll:

Some people will blame the FO if it rains. Some people need to realize it is now about what the Steelers want but what Leftwich wants.[/quote:lo216762]

And some people are just true instigators, saying things to generate arguments/controversies.

True Fan
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM

:Agree

Although if Batch DOESN'T Re-sign, then we will probably look for another cheap, old vet as well.

he will, nobody else would want him

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM

Ferrotte is a local kid. I think he would be better than Charlie. Hre at least has more game experience more recently. Grossman and Losman would IMO also be better.

I would prefer the local kid who is 4 years younger than Frerotte and already knows the offense. And Charlie was never dumb enough to head-butt a wall.

I might consider Grossman as a reasonable reclamation project at backup QB. In his only full season as a starter, he threw for over 3000 yards and 23 TD's (unfortunately, 20 INT's as well), but his team did make it to the Super Bowl that year, so he has experience as a starter in big games. The weapons in Pittsburgh are better than anything he had in Chicago.

That same year was Losman's only full season as a starter, and he threw for over 3000 yards plus 19 TD's and 14 INT's. However, unlike Grossman, he has no big game experience. And he had more weapons than Rex (Lee Evans at WR, Willis McGahee then Marshawn Lynch at RB).

frankthetank1
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
[quote=Flasteel][quote="True Fan":1t7k1zs5]nice work FO :roll:

i dont want batch being the number two guy either but it really doesnt matter what the steelers offer was. any offer they make is for a back up role. starks was actually ok last season and lt's are not all that easy to find in case you dont know. colon sucks but a million bucks isnt exactly a whole lot of money. i suppose you would of broke the bank with leftwich and then not be able to sign harrison, heath, hines and exteneding woodleys contract?[/quote:1t7k1zs5]

yup. that's what i said to do, 'break the bank for lefty :roll:
let me guess, you're one of those fans that would have said 'great move' if the steelers would have offered lefty a million more and he took it.[/quote:1t7k1zs5]

how do you get that out of my post? my point was lefty wants to start. im sure playing time is a little more important to him than money. no i would not want the steelers to over pay for lefty and i was happy to see the fo did not over pay for bmac or nate. you were the one complaining about not signing lefty. perhaps you would of loved it if the steelers over paid for him.