PDA

View Full Version : What round pick would you trade for Roscoe Parrish?

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4057069

The Bills have too many WR and another great return man so they are looking to trade Parrish. He would be our returner and 3rd or 4th WR. We have an extra 5th and 7th......

What would you be willing to give up?

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80a9615c

Video of a 63 yd return against the Walrus.

Steel Life
04-11-2009, 07:37 PM
The 5th rounder...or two 7ths, one from this year & one next year.

steelerkeylargo
04-11-2009, 10:28 PM
5 this year and a 4 next year.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I hope we are considering this. Would be great to have a legit return man other than Holmes. Although, I am not sure I would give up more than our extra 5th rounder and that is it. Maybe the extra 5th and 7th if they felt he wasn't utilized much as a receiver and has something to offer as a WR.

SidSmythe
04-12-2009, 12:43 AM
You people can't be serious????

He was a 2nd round pick and he's a bonifide Return Man who's done pretty well as a slot WR. No way do the Bills take less than a 2nd round pick for him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, since I have the overaged Quan Cosby in my mock draft (a 5' 9" 26 year old guy to compete for a role as the 3rd or 4th WR while returning punts and kickoffs), I would obviously be amenable to bringing in Parrish (who also happens to be a 5' 9" 26 year old guy to compete for a role as the 3rd or 4th WR while returning punts and kickoffs).

Parrish has returned a punt for a TD each of the past 3 seasons. His 15.3 yards per punt return average was the highest in the league among those that returned at least 20 punts. If we were willing to trade a 7th rounder a couple of years ago for a 30+ Allen Rossum when we were in need of a return guy, I think we would do a bit better than that for a guy who should be entering the prime of his career (by the way, we cannot trade away our "extra" 5th round pick because comp picks are untradeable...but trading away our regular 5th round pick wouldn't be all that different since they are back-to-back picks at the end of the 5th round anyway).

I was surpised to see the Falcons trade away recent 3rd round pick WR Laurent Robinson (I recall that we were interested in him back then) along with their 5th and 6th round picks for St. Louis' 5th and 6th round picks (Atlanta moved up 22 spots in the fifth round, to 160th overall, and 20 spots in the sixth round, to No. 196 overall). I would have loved to have done a trade similar to this, because I think the 6' 2" Robinson showed a lot of promise as a rookie before the combination of injuries and a new coaching regime in Atlanta set him back last season.

SteelBucks
04-12-2009, 01:04 AM

He was a 2nd round pick and he's a bonifide Return Man who's done pretty well as a slot WR. No way do the Bills take less than a 2nd round pick for him.

The Bills, supposedly, only want a 4th round pick.

AngryAsian
04-12-2009, 02:15 AM

Sold!!!

TD386Steel
04-12-2009, 02:49 AM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ills/9440/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nfl-draft-day-deal-in-the-works-between-steelers-bills/9440/)

It just might happen.

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Im not sure what this man can do as a receiver. If he is a marginal talent at WR like I suspect, he would have to occupy #5wr slot on the roster and we would be paying solely for a return guy. I dont know. Id prefer to see how the draft falls first.

WoodleyofTroy
04-12-2009, 12:50 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Seems like everyone always wants a bargain. What's that say about Parrish if you the fan only think he's worth a 5th or 6th round pick? You're going to have to give up something good, to get something good in return.

I'd offer our 3rd round pick, which is practically a 4th rounder. Let's face it, outside of Rounds 1 and 2, the Steelers are picking late, and we won't be seeing the names being thrown around on here and other boards being available in the 3rd round on.

SidSmythe
04-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Sold!!!

Well in that case, the Bills are ever dumber than i thought.
we can even throw in Sean Mahan too!! :P

Discipline of Steel
04-12-2009, 05:51 PM
12/14/2007: Signed a three-year, $12.31 million contract extension through 2011. The deal included a $1.1 million signing bonus.
2008: $520,000 (+ $3.25 million "signing" bonus + $500,000 roster bonus),
2009: $1 million (+ $1.5 million "signing" bonus + $500,000 roster bonus),
2010: $1.025 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus),
2011: $1.025 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus),
2012: Free Agent

Looks like his 2009 cap value is $3 million. (is that correct salary cap gurus?) Are we all still head over heels for basically a punt returner?

Steel Life
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
They want a 4th...that's code for "we'll take a 5th". He's just never developed into the WR they expected, take a look -

Nate (6-1, 185 lbs./25 yrs./3 Seasons): 104 Recs./1705 Yds./16.4 Avg./12 TDs

Roscoe (5-7, 175 lbs./26 Yrs./4 Seasons): 97 Recs./1052 Yds./10.8 Avg./5 TDs

Seems like Nate was a bargain on the WR side, the question is - how much does his ST play overcome that difference in production? The other thing is...Roscoe's small even by slot-WR standards, I'm not sold...one pick - the 5th only.

Snatch98
04-12-2009, 11:52 PM
I'd give them whatever they are asking. If it's a 4th I give them a 4th. He's a tough receiver who is obviously a great return man. I could see him becoming a Wes Welker type guy in our offense if given the opportunity. He doesn't go down with first contact and always keeps the motor going. A electric return man would be fantastic for the Steelers. Hell look what Cribbs has done for the stains specifically in games against us. I know in the one game I believe two seasons ago he was the only reason they generated much offense. I'd love to have Parrish on our roster. Send them the 4th they want and never look back.

EDIT: He's not a bad receiver and I'd say he's better than marginal if given a chance to shine. He played well when Lee Evans was banged up. Sign me up.

phillyesq
04-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Return guys tend to have a pretty short shelf life, and although he is a competent slot receiver, he is nothing spectacular. Combined with a somewhat substantial salary, I think a 5th is about the right price for Parish.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Our 5th and nothing more. I would look into the salary issue too before I do anything. He is no more than a 1.5 (total) guy to me. This draft is pretty deep at WR. If I had a choice between Knox & Parrish, I would take Knox. That being said, Parrish is a 4th-5th round compensation at a reasonable contract. If his salary is the 3 mil plus like someone in here said it was...I would trade a 7th or even pass. With that kind of money and the Peters issue...He will be released if they can't trade him. The Bills have no power on this trade because TO is there and they are heavy on salary at the WR position. Low ball Donahoe...The need the space to extend Peters. He would be a welcomed addition as a returner and a #4....But not at 3 mil a year!

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Our 5th and nothing more. I would look into the salary issue too before I do anything. He is no more than a 1.5 (total) guy to me. This draft is pretty deep at WR. If I had a choice between Knox & Parrish, I would take Knox. That being said, Parrish is a 4th-5th round compensation at a reasonable contract. If his salary is the 3 mil plus like someone in here said it was...I would trade a 7th or even pass. With that kind of money and the Peters issue...He will be released if they can't trade him. The Bills have no power on this trade because TO is there and they are heavy on salary at the WR position. Low ball Donahoe...The need the space to extend Peters. He would be a welcomed addition as a returner and a #4....But not at 3 mil a year!

FYI: Tom Donahoe was fired by the Bills at the end of the 2005 season. Marv Levy took over for him for a couple of years, but now Russ Brandon is in charge of their football operations.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Sold!!!

:Agree

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

FYI: Tom Donahoe was fired by the Bills at the end of the 2005 season. Marv Levy took over for him for a couple of years, but now Russ Brandon is in charge of their football operations.
FYI: Really doesn't change my point no matter who is in charge. I remember now when it happened. If it isn't Steeler news...It's no news! But...Thanks for the info.

frankthetank1
04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
parrish hasnt had much of a chance at wr with the bills. their pass offense has been a joke. every time i have seen parrish play ive been pretty impressed. imagine what this guy would do in a good offense. he is an excellent return man. i would have no problem with the steelers trading a 4th or even the 3rd round pick. its a very low pick anyways. why did the falcons trade away laurent robinson and who got him? that would have been a great pick up by the steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
parrish hasnt had much of a chance at wr with the bills. their pass offense has been a joke. every time i have seen parrish play ive been pretty impressed. imagine what this guy would do in a good offense. he is an excellent return man. i would have no problem with the steelers trading a 4th or even the 3rd round pick. its a very low pick anyways. why did the falcons trade away laurent robinson and who got him? that would have been a great pick up by the steelers.

Atlanta traded Laurent Robinson plus the Falcons' 5th and 6th round picks to St. Louis for the Rams' 5th and 6th round picks (Atlanta moved up 22 spots in the fifth round, #160 to #138 overall, and 20 spots in the sixth round, #196 to #176 overall). It appears to be a great deal for St. Louis, since they didn't have to give up any picks for Robinson...they just pick later in round 5 & 6 now.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Sid, after the draft, it matters not where you were drafted, only how you perform. He was the #3 this past season, being demoted with the acquisition of TO. He only had 24 catches last year.

Otherwise, we could have gotten a 2nd for 'Zo.

They'll probably get a 4th, but, I wouldn't give more than a 5th - he'll be exclusively a returner for us.