PDA

View Full Version : Mister Pittsburgh's Updated Mock 2.0

Mister Pittsburgh
04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
2009 Steelers Draft OC, DE, WR, OT, NT, TE, FB, CB/KR, DE

1st Round - #32:
OC Alex Mack California 64 316lbs
Mack is the #1 center available in the draft, and adds value as he can also play offensive guard. Mack should be able to solidify the interior of the Steelers offensive line for years to come. Justin Hartwig will be in the final year of his contract in 2009 so after gaining experience at guard for this season, Mack would make the switch to center. If Mack shows he should be the starting center in training camp, Hartwig could move out to RG.
Reps 225lbs 20 (Pro Day)
40 yds 5.17 sec. (Pro Day)

2nd Round - #64:
DE - Jarron Gilbert San Jose State 65 288lbs
One of the top 3-4 defensive end prospects in the draft. 2008 WAC Co-defensive player of the year. Gilbert has a rare combination of size and athleticism. Was the most dominant defensive player at the East-West Shrine game. Nice strength doing 28 reps of 225lbs at the NFL Combine.
Reps 225lbs 28 (Combine)
40 yds 4.87 sec. (Combine)

3rd Round - #96:
WR Ramses Barden Cal Poly 66 227lbs
Ramses is a very good route runner with huge, soft, hands which allow him to be a very reliable WR. Although he played against a lower level of competition, he dominated at that level. Good blocker at the line of scrimmage. Massive red zone target which the Steelers struggled inside the red zone in 2008. Ramses would make a nice addition to the training camp battle between Limas Sweed, Dallas Baker, and Martin Nance for the 3rd & 4th WR positions.
Reps 225lbs 17 (Combine)
40 yds 4.68 (Combine)

4th Round - #132:
OT Troy Kropog Tulane 66 316lbs
Large offensive tackle with good mobility. Would need to be in a zone blocking scheme his first year due to a lack of strength for his size. Will need a year in the weight room at the NFL level. Could develop into a solid LT but more than likely will end up being a solid RT at the next level.
Reps 225lbs 21
40yds 5.3 sec.

5th Round - #168:
NT Terrance Taylor Michigan - 60 320lbs
Terrance is a load that will back up Casey Hampton this season and become the Steelers NT of the future. There are some concerns about his conditioning, but Mike Tomlin is a great motivator. Those concerns are why Terrance has slipped down the draft board and is available in the 5th round.
Reps 225lbs 37
40 yds 5.22 sec.

5th Round - #169 (Compensatory Pick)
TE Bear Pascoe Fresno State 65 260lbs
Pascoe is a huge TE with good pass catching abilities and blocks like an offensive lineman. Originally went to Fresno as a QB but adjusted to TE quickly and was a 3 year starter. With the amount of 2 and 3 TE sets the Steelers run I think a player like Pascoe could replace Matt Spaeth who struggles with his blocking assignments. TE in the Steelers sytem need to be able to block and catch.
Reps 225lbs
40 yds 4.96 sec.

6th Round - #205:
FB Frank Summers UNLV 59 240lbs
Frank put up 225, 30 times at his pro-day. Steelers had 2 scouts plus their RB coach at his pro-day. Summers is like a bowling ball. Great athletic build and very powerful. He also has very soft hands for his size, pulling in 36 catches in 2 seasons. The Carey Davis experiment is over and Summers takes his spot. Could also take Gary Russels roster spot as goal line back and short yardage back. At the very least a solid special teams player on kick offs and punts. Very motivated player. Great teammate.
Reps 225lbs 30
40yds 4.63

7th Round - #226 (From Tampa Bay):
CB/KR Brice McCain Utah 59 185lbs
Reps 225lbs
40yds 4.34 (Faster than any CB invited to the combine. Has run 4.28 before.)

7th Round - #241:
DE Pannel Egboh Stanford 66 272lbs
Reps 225lbs 26
40yds 4.9 sec.

Oviedo
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I like the areas you focus on throughout but I think that both Mack and Gilbert will be gone by 1.32 and 2.64 respectively. I also think you are very optimistic that Kropog and Taylor last to the last picks in Rounds 4 and 5.

The only pick I really hate is Barden. I think we need a CB in Round 3-NLT Round 4. We can get a good WR to battle for #4 in Round 4-6.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
? Guess we will see. I would be happy with that draft.

pfelix73
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
NO CB early? We're thin at CB. That will be addressed early on.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Well, like I said, we will see. Last year pre draft Tomlin stated in the media we needed to get younger on the OL and DL and we had a lot of OL and DL in for pre draft visits. On day one we didn't take an OL or DL and didn't pick a single one at either position all draft other than reaching for OT Tony Hills.

I think CB Roy Lewis is going to be a good player.

grotonsteel
04-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I like Alex Mack, Gilbert,Taylor picks. I would be disappointed if they wait till Rd 4 for an OT. They need to start developing Tackles. Colon and Starks are UFA next year.

They have to go after OT in Rd2 - Rd3 (Meredith/Loadholt/Fenuki Tupou). They can easily contribute as RT day 1. :2c

I also heard that Steelers like Eric Wood C, Jairus Byrd CB and Sherrod Martin FS/CB from Troy very much.

MeetJoeGreene
04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
That is an excellent mock draft

Steeler Mafia
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Not in the first round it won't. They will wait on a CB until at least round 2, maybe even round 3. We are more thin at OL now due to FA losses. OL is our major concern. We need to protct our multi-million dollar QB better than we did last year.

Oviedo
04-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Not in the first round it won't. They will wait on a CB until at least round 2, maybe even round 3. We are more thin at OL now due to FA losses. OL is our major concern. We need to protct our multi-million dollar QB better than we did last year.

Please do not take a CB in Round 1. I want either OL or DL but I would even be OK with a WR in Round 1 before a CB. We can get a CB that fits our system in Rounds 3-5.