PDA

View Full Version : BTSC Chat with Craig Wolfley

SteelCzar76
04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
BTSC: We recently had a discussion about the similarities between Ben Roethlisberger and Terry Bradshaw. You played with Terry and you've certainly seen enough of Ben. What jumps out at you when comparing these two great quarterbacks?

WOLFLEY: Confidence, supreme confidence. Very few have the level of confidence that Ben has and Terry had. It's eerie, almost scary. Guys like that not only handle pressure, they yearn for it. They're emotionally built for it. I was on the sideline when Ben took the field for that final drive. There was a light in his eyes, a grin on his face, like a kid at Christmas. The rest of us are churning inside and this guy is actually gleeful. There's something very special about that. Terry was the same way. When he came into the huddle he exuded confidence and it's contagious. When your quarterback radiates self-assurance in a huddle, you multiply it by eleven. Every guy in the huddle buys into it. Confidence often separates the great ones from the very good ones.

BTSC: Fans, myself admittedly one of them, are concerned the most about the offensive line; the sacks, the goal-line stuffs, the Willie Parker one-yard gains. As a former offensive lineman, how do you feel about the current state of our offensive line?

WOLFLEY: First of all, I shared a moment with (Offensive Line Coach) Larry Zeirlien after the Super Bowl. I knew he got beat up pretty good last year. I reminded him of Toby Keith's song "How Do You Like Me Now?" To the point, when there are breakdowns, and we had them last year, sometimes you can't see individual improvements due to the breakdowns. I am really looking forward to this line taking a major step this year. Offensive linemen aren't like other positions that each year are capable of incremental improvement by themselves. They're a unit. Guys need to play with each other and understand what each other can do. There were too many breakdowns last year, many caused by the fact that four of the five line positions being new guys.

BTSC: What, if anything, impressed you the most last year on the offensive line?

WOLFLEY: I thought Justin Hartwig was exceptional. He was just a notch below Jeff Hartings and mind you, this was his first year with a new team and new teammates. I thought Max (Starks) got better as the year wore on. He really grew into that left tackle position. Chris Kemoeatu has terrific upside, he really does, but he's so darned inconsistent it's frustrating. If the coaches can find a way to get more hot and less cold we could really be happy with this guy. Willie Colon is making strides and Stapleton got thrown into the guard position when Kendall Simmons went down. Considering Stapleton is really a center, he did better than I thought he would do.

Unit-wise, you've got to be impressed by the way the line played under the most duress; against Jacksonville, against San Diego, against Baltimore twice, against Dallas and finally the Super Bowl. Some very good defenses knew that we had to throw, yet they couldn't get to Ben. On one hand it's frustrating that it takes urgency to bring out the best in them. On the other hand, the coaches feel they have the capacity.

BTSC: We've heard many say that Colon is really a guard playing tackle. What is your take on that?

WOLFLEY: Colon is not a guard, he just looks like he should be one. He doesn't have the tools to play guard in this league.

BTSC: You were part of many great games in the Browns-Steelers rivalry. I make no attempt to hide my disdain for the Cleveland Browns. What one thing do you remember most about that rivalry?

WOLFLEY: Tunch Ilkin used to get anxiety attacks where he would throw up alot. You never knew when they would happen. Even in training camp, he would throw up at any time. Anyhow, we're playing the Browns in a preseason game in the early 80s. Tunch is standing next to me in the huddle and I notice vomit on my foot. Tunch is gurgling. We broke for the line and I could hear his stomach. I'm thinking, this could be great. On that particular play, I was assigned to help Tunch double-team their defensive tackle, Ron Simmons. Right at the snap, as if it were choreographed, we both lunge at Simmons and Tunch lets it loose. I'm not talking about a dribbler, I'm talking about a gusher. He heaves right in Simmons' face and the guy goes crazy. We didn't need to block him. He was PO'd beyond belief, Tunch is sick and I'm laughing hysterically. The next play he still has chunks on his face and he lines up four yards behind the ball. Tunch didn't have to block him the rest of the game. I'm still laughing.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I was on the sideline when Ben took the field for that final drive. There was a light in his eyes, a grin on his face, like a kid at Christmas. The rest of us are churning inside and this guy is actually gleeful.

That's just awesome. Almost as good as the story about Tunch throwing up all over the Browns' d-lineman. :shock:

dirt
04-09-2009, 05:56 PM
WOLFLEY: Colon is not a guard, he just looks like he should be one. He doesn't have the tools to play guard in this league.

What does this mean?

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 06:53 PM

What does this mean?

Just like I am not a model. I just look like I should be one. :lol:

fordfixer
04-09-2009, 10:43 PM

What does this mean?

Just like I am not a model. I just look like I should be one. :lol:

Well someone has to do the "before" shots

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/fordfixer_2008/Steelers2.jpg
:lol: :lol:

Flasteel
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
BTSC: WOLFLEY: I thought Justin Hartwig was exceptional. He was just a notch below Jeff Hartings and mind you, this was his first year with a new team and new teammates.

Wait a minute. Didn't Hartwig give up the most sacks on the line last year (too lazy to look up)? The middle of our line was soft, plain and simple. The running game, short-yardage, and pass protection. Wolfley knows a hell of a lot more than I do, but I'm not feeling this assessment of Justin Hartwig.

stlrz d
04-10-2009, 12:24 AM

What does this mean?

It means Colon is a tackle and people should quit saying the Steelers should move him to guard just because he has a guard's body type.

Oviedo
04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
BTSC: WOLFLEY: I thought Justin Hartwig was exceptional. He was just a notch below Jeff Hartings and mind you, this was his first year with a new team and new teammates.

Wait a minute. Didn't Hartwig give up the most sacks on the line last year (too lazy to look up)? The middle of our line was soft, plain and simple. The running game, short-yardage, and pass protection. Wolfley knows a hell of a lot more than I do, but I'm not feeling this assessment of Justin Hartwig.

Why believe anything that a former NFL offensive lineman who has access to insider information about the team when fans can make their own transparent assessments.

dirt
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM

What does this mean?

It means Colon is a tackle and people should quit saying the Steelers should move him to guard just because he has a guard's body type.

Right, but what are the "tools" that Colon lacks to play guard. He doesn't pull well? He doesn't recognize stunts? He has a 10 inch but not a 14 or 18 inch pipe wrench?

stlrz d
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM

What does this mean?

Right, but what are the "tools" that Colon lacks to play guard. He doesn't pull well? He doesn't recognize stunts? He has a 10 inch but not a 14 or 18 inch pipe wrench?

Well I'm not privvy to that info and Wolfley didn't go into details so I suppose your guess would be as good as mine...if not better. Guards and tackles have different skill sets (which I'm sure you know) and apparently Colon has a guard's body, but not a guard's skill set.

pfelix73
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I concur. I wish people would stop posting that we need to draft a RT because Colon should be moved to OG etc..

Hey, I got it. Let's move Colon to G..... To heck with what the coaches think, afterall, who are they? SB champs or something?

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I concur. I wish people would stop posting that we need to draft a RT because Colon should be moved to OG etc..

Hey, I got it. Let's move Colon to G..... To heck with what the coaches think, afterall, who are they? SB champs or something?

The reason we need to draft a tackle is not because we could move Colon to guard. The reason we need to draft a tackle is because both of our starting tackles have contracts that expire after this season. Veteran tackles are expensive to sign long term. I predict that we are only going to be able to extend one of the two beyond this season. Hence the need for a young, talented, and relatively inexpensive alternative via the draft.

Flasteel
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM

Why believe anything that a former NFL offensive lineman who has access to insider information about the team when fans can make their own transparent assessments.

Hey look O, I fully acknowledged the insight edge Wolfley has over my humble opinion, but it doesn't deprive me of the right to question him.

Looks like I was wrong about Hartwig having the most sacks given up by one of our linemen. He gave up 6.5, while Kemo folded 7.5 times. Hartwig's numbers were good enough for 32nd amongst NFL centers however...that sounds like a terrific endorsement.

If you are trying to imply that Wolfley is infallible or shouldn't be questioned on his opinion by a mere fan, then why don't you bring something to the table to support his argument. I'm at least bringing ammo to legitimately question it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359&p=63114&hilit=sacks#p63114 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359&p=63114&hilit=sacks#p63114)

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Hey look O, I fully acknowledged the insight edge Wolfley has over my humble opinion, but it doesn't deprive me of the right to question him.

Looks like I was wrong about Hartwig having the most sacks given up by one of our linemen. He gave up 6.5, while Kemo folded 7.5 times. Hartwig's numbers were good enough for 32nd amongst NFL centers however...that sounds like a terrific endorsement.

If you are trying to imply that Wolfley is infallible or shouldn't be questioned on his opinion by a mere fan, then why don't you bring something to the table to support his argument. I'm at least bringing ammo to legitimately question it.

http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewto ... cks#p63114 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359&p=63114&hilit=sacks#p63114)

An interesting thing about those sack numbers is that the Steeler starting o-line only accounted for 28.75 sacks (Kemoeatu 7.5, Hartwig 6.5, Colon 5.75, Stapleton 5.0, and Starks 4.0). I realize that Smith and Simmons likely gave up their share of sacks before they got hurt, but I can't imagine that makes up for the 17.25 sack difference (since Roethlisberger is listed as being sacked 46 times last year on NFL.com). Perhaps the sacks in which Ben is brought down while scrambling (the "Ben is holding the ball too long" sacks) don't count against any o-lineman in particular.

Using those numbers, it was interesting to see that you could make an o-line of all Pro Bowlers that gave up more sacks than the Steeler o-line. Pro Bowl tackles Jason Peters (11.5) and Joe Thomas (4.5), Pro Bowl guards Alan Faneca (7.0) and Steve Hutchinson (7.0), and Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold (2.0). That adds up to 32 sacks by those 5 Pro Bowlers, which is 3.25 sacks more than the 28.75 that were given up by the 5 Steeler starters.

Flasteel
04-10-2009, 04:48 PM

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359&p=63114&hilit=sacks#p63114 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359&p=63114&hilit=sacks#p63114)

An interesting thing about those sack numbers is that the Steeler starting o-line only accounted for 28.75 sacks (Kemoeatu 7.5, Hartwig 6.5, Colon 5.75, Stapleton 5.0, and Starks 4.0). I realize that Smith and Simmons likely gave up their share of sacks before they got hurt, but I can't imagine that makes up for the 17.25 sack difference (since Roethlisberger is listed as being sacked 46 times last year on NFL.com). Perhaps the sacks in which Ben is brought down while scrambling (the "Ben is holding the ball too long" sacks) don't count against any o-lineman in particular.

Using those numbers, it was interesting to see that you could make an o-line of all Pro Bowlers that gave up more sacks than the Steeler o-line. Pro Bowl tackles Jason Peters (11.5) and Joe Thomas (4.5), Pro Bowl guards Alan Faneca (7.0) and Steve Hutchinson (7.0), and Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold (2.0). That adds up to 32 sacks by those 5 Pro Bowlers, which is 3.25 sacks more than the 28.75 that were given up by the 5 Steeler starters.

I think you're right Ruthless...it doesn't take into account "coverage sacks", gap overloads, blown assignments by backs, or stuff like that. I'm pretty sure you can only charge a lineman with a sack if he was engaged with the defender or if there was a blown assignment and the defender goes through his area of responsibility (zone or man).

You know as well as I do that Pro Bowl balloting is more of a popularity contest than anything...especially among linemen. Just remember where our guys rank among their positions. 6.5 sacks is dead-last in the league for centers and I don't think that Hartwig has reputation (or actual skills) in the run-game to off-set his poor pass protection.

Oviedo
04-10-2009, 05:31 PM

http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewto ... cks#p63114 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5359&p=63114&hilit=sacks#p63114)

My point is that Wolfley probably sees and understands whereas fans see and assume and have opinions. We look at a number of 6.5 and a rating of #30 and "assume" Hartwig is terrible. Wolfley sees and understands that x number of those were no his fault because he was covering for a mistake that Kemo or Stapleton made or the defense rushed two players through his gap and someone failed to pick them up. Wolfley understands and gets insight into the protection that was called and who was suppose to do what. he is typically on the sideline on gameday listening to what is said on the sidelines not watching through a TV.

I think it is fair to give Wolfley the benefit of the doubt and recognize his background as a legitimate expert and accept his view over someone who lacks his experience and background. If he said Hartwig did a good job than I'll believe him. Can we agree that is fair?

Flasteel
04-10-2009, 06:12 PM

My point is that Wolfley probably sees and understands whereas fans see and assume and have opinions. We look at a number of 6.5 and a rating of #30 and "assume" Hartwig is terrible. Wolfley sees and understands that x number of those were no his fault because he was covering for a mistake that Kemo or Stapleton made or the defense rushed two players through his gap and someone failed to pick them up. Wolfley understands and gets insight into the protection that was called and who was suppose to do what. he is typically on the sideline on gameday listening to what is said on the sidelines not watching through a TV.

I think it is fair to give Wolfley the benefit of the doubt and recognize his background as a legitimate expert and accept his view over someone who lacks his experience and background. If he said Hartwig did a good job than I'll believe him. Can we agree that is fair?

I think that it's fair, especially in light of the fact that he's had time to digest and evaluate the season as a whole...particularly as it involves the o-line. My problem is the facts as well as my observations don't back up what he's saying. As Ruthless mentioned (and I agreed) that sack stat is not inclusive of all sacks. Only those which Elias attributes to that player or going to count and Hartwig came in last place in the league. I think we can all agree that our short-yardage and goal line play was also pathetic (again I think we were last in the league), which can be attributed to many things, chief among them is the play of the interior linemen.

I'll agree that Hartwig was an improvement over Mahan and I'll also concede the point that he was in the first year with his new linemates (as four starters were). But ask yourself...were you satisfied with the play at center before you read Wolfley's comments? I certainly wasn't and his quick mention of his assessment does nothing to change my uninformed mind.

birtikidis
04-10-2009, 09:28 PM
before i read wolfleys assessment I had JH somewhere in the middle of the pack. I thought that that kemo and stapleton were such a problem that it would be hard to look good with them on either side. I would also have said JH was one of the bright spots on the team.

Oviedo
04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
before i read wolfleys assessment I had JH somewhere in the middle of the pack. I thought that that kemo and stapleton were such a problem that it would be hard to look good with them on either side. I would also have said JH was one of the bright spots on the team.

I would concur. I feel Stapleton was a much bigger problem than anyone probably knows. I do not think he will start at that position this year.

pfelix73
04-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't think he'll start there either. (Stapleton) We'll see what he does with competition in camp in a few months.

"The reason we need to draft a tackle is not because we could move Colon to guard. The reason we need to draft a tackle is because both of our starting tackles have contracts that expire after this season." Ruthless quote.

I know what you are saying. They could always extent Starks again if they wanted too. Colon as well, but that's temporary. We'll need to see what Capizzi and Hills as well as Essex can offer us. I honestly believe Essex will pan out- Wolfley said the same back in December after a game....... Wolfley must work out with him, because he talking about his regimen and work ethic. Was praising it...

Flasteel
04-10-2009, 11:08 PM

I would concur. I feel Stapleton was a much bigger problem than anyone probably knows. I do not think he will start at that position this year.

I agree with both you guys on the question marks at guard making it more difficult to assess the center position. That said, there was never any consistent push up front, I don't remember Hartwig driving defenders off the ball, and that fact remains he gave up more sacks than any other center in the league and we were dead-last in short-yardage conversions (at least I think the latter is a fact). It's an indictment of our interior line in general but Hartwig came off to me as a pedestrian starter at best.

Just asking, but how can either of you call Hartwig a bright spot unless it's a reflection of the improvement over Mahan? What qualitative or quantitative factors are you using to make this assessment?

pfelix73
04-11-2009, 10:50 AM
The argument can also be said that we have no real FB either.- Getting those necessary yards up the middle has become difficult at times. When we ran out of the I with Danny boy and a bigger RB (Bussy) most of the time we got that extra yard when we needed it. Mendenhall, I hope, will help us out with that as well.

There's more to it than just the OL.

Flasteel
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
The argument can also be said that we have no real FB either.- Getting those necessary yards up the middle has become difficult at times. When we ran out of the I with Danny boy and a bigger RB (Bussy) most of the time we got that extra yard when we needed it. Mendenhall, I hope, will help us out with that as well.

There's more to it than just the OL.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of the way we use our fullback nowdays. McHugh seems like he might have the capability to blow up some people, we just need to do a little more power running.

I'm not trying to put the onus completely on the line in either pass protection or getting those tough yards, but they are a large part of the equation. Hopefully they continue to gel as a unit with or without some new blood.

birtikidis
04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Flasteel,
the way i saw the oline last year, none of them really did anything. Hartwig was such a huge improvement over mahan that I couldn't believe it. I wonder how hartwig would have looked this year with faneca next to him? It just seems to me that i can remember watching both stapleton and kemo stand there and watch as hartwig took on multiple defenders at times. like they had no clue what to do. but qualitative evidence, i do not have.
put it this way though, IF i had the opportunity to only upgrade one guy... it wouldn't be hartwig. it would be either Colon (funny cause he plays like ass) or stapleton.

pfelix73
04-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd start with Stapleton. It was shocking to see Simmons released if not just for more competition at that position this summer. They could've cut him after/during camp too, but I guess they saved some cap space. Competition is usually a good thing.

It would've been nice to see AF in there along side Hartwig. Kemo would've played RG and Stapleton still on the bench.....