PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolly's 1st & 2nd Mock

costanza2k1
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ft_08.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/04/first-mock-draft_08.html)

Wednesday, April 08, 2009
First mock draft
OK, you asked for it, here it is. Remember, this will change over the next couple of weeks as more information comes in.

1. Detroit, Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - The Lions seem to be settling in on taking the quarterback with the first pick.

2. St. Louis, Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - The Rams have a lot of holes, but the release of Orlando Pace may have tipped their hand.

3. Kansas City, Brian Orapko, OLB, Texas - The Chiefs are going to a 3-4 defense and need pass rushers.

4. Seattle, Eugene Monroe, PT, Virginia - No need to convince the team that has had Walter Jones at LT for a decade the value of a good LT. Jones’ eventual replacement.

5. Cleveland, Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - The Browns need to upgrade their front seven. Curry does everything well except rush the passer, so he’ll fit right in with the Browns.

6. Cincinnati, Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech - The Bengals are looking to trade Chad Johnson and Crabtree would soften that blow.

7. Oakland, B.J. Raji, DT. Boston College - Even if Raji did smoke some pot it wouldn’t bother the Raiders. In fact, it might increase their interest in him.

8. Jacksonville, Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri - The Jaguars haven’t had a playmaker at WR since Jimmy Smith retired.

9. Green Bay, Everette Brown, LB, Florida State - The Packers are shifting to a 3-4 and need guys to rush off of the edge.

10. San Francisco, Andre Smith, OT, Alabama - After signing Marvel Smith, the 49ers need some younger insurance.

11. Buffalo, Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn State – Maybin was awfully productive last season, but will be making the transition to LB.

12. Denver, Tyson Jackson, DT, LSU – The Broncos couldn’t stop anybody last season.

13. Washington, Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi – Washington’s offensive line is getting a little ragged.

14. New Orleans, Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State – The Saints were incredibly soft in the secondary last season.

15. Houston, Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – Make this pick with the expectation that Donta Robinson won’t re-sign after this season.

16. San Diego, Rey Maualuga, LB, USC – Where else would Junior Seau Jr. go?

17. Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State – The Jets really made this a need position. More athletic than Mark Sanchez.

18. Denver, Brian Cushing, LB, USC – The Broncos are reworking what was a bad defensive front.

19. Tampa Bay, Mark Sanchez, QB, USC – Even with Jon Gruden gone, the Bucs keep collecting QBs.

20. Detroit, Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi – The Lions need to beef up the defensive front.

21. Philadelphia, Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - The Eagles have been looking for a stud WR for seemingly forever.

22. Minnesota, Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – The Vikings want to upgrade their WR position and Harvin can certainly do that.

23. New England, Clay Matthews, LB, USC – Matthews fits the mold of New England linebackers.

24. Atlanta, Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri – A big body for the front seven.

25. Miami, Alex Mack, C, California – The Dolphins are in a tough spot needing help in a lot of places.

26. Baltimore, Hakeem Nicks, WR, NC – The Ravens know that Derrick Mason is nearing the end.

27. Indianapolis, Filli Moala, DT, USC – The Colts need to beef up the interior of their defensive line.

28. Philadelphia, Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio State – The Eagles get a big back to pair with Brian Westbrook.

29. New York Giants, Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia – The Giants would have preferred one of the top WRs fall to them and like Kenny Britt of Rutgers, but they’ll settle for Moreno as a replacement for Derrick Ward.

30. Tennessee, Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut – The Titans need help in the secondary.

31. Arizona, Connor Barwin, LB, Cincinnati – Teams are intrigued by his athleticism.

32. Pittsburgh, Eric Wood, C/G, Louisville – The Steelers ignored the offensive line last year, but can’t do it again. Max Unger will also tempt them, but Wood is nastier.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I would take Mack over Britton or Beatty, but I would take Britton or Beatty over Wood or Unger.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Freeman over Sanchez makes no sense. Maybe he's trying to be different there.

Miami just signed Jake Grove to a long term deal. Parcells is close to being out the door, and wants to win now. Why does he need 2 Centers? Especially drafting him after that explanation. "The Dolphins are in a tough spot needing help in a lot of places"

The Giants taking a Running back is a big stretch. Not because they need a WR, I actually think they'll end up with Braylon or Chad Johnson in a trade, but because William Beatty is still on the board, in which reports have said they have fallen head over heals for.

Speaking of which, Britton and Beatty out of the first round would be more surprising to me if say a Brian Cushing were to end up in the 2nd. Tackles usually don't drop. Teams reach if anything.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
This Wood kid is shooting up the boards. I have him in my mock but the way things are going the Steelers might have a better chance of taking Wood #32 & hoping Gilbert falls to #64. Best scenario would be to trade back 5-10 into early 2nd and take Wood. Then use some picks to move up from #64 and get Gilbert. That would be a solid first day!!! The only problem is many teams are high on both Wood and Gilbert as "Value" picks in the end of the 1st and early to mid 2nd. I have "heartburn" already...When's the draft!!! :wink:

Jom112
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Does the guy know that the Dolphins signed Jake Grove? I don't think they'll take a center now with their 1st pick, even though Mack can play Guard.

For the Bengals I put the chances of us drafting Crabtree at .00001%, even if we trade Chad. Maclin is a different story, I could definitely see us drafting him if we trade Chad. If not the pick will be Monroe or Andre Smith.

As for the Steelers, Wood is a good pick. I don't think he'll go that high though...

Oviedo
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Why does everyone on this board fail to get past their "man love" and realize that the Steelers may not like Mack as much as other players. I think it will be moot because Mack will be gone so we will pick from the following:

Brace
Unger
Wood
Robinson

And it doesn't matter where a player is "rated" in terms of an ambiguous list. All that matters is:

1. Do you like the player?
2. Can he help your team?
2. When can you get him?

We draft so late in every round we almost have to draft a player half a round higher than they are "rated" to have any chance to get them.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Why does everyone on this board fail to get past their "man love" and realize that the Steelers may not like Mack as much as other players. I think it will be moot because Mack will be gone so we will pick from the following:

Brace
Unger
Wood
Robinson

And it doesn't matter where a player is "rated" in terms of an ambiguous list. All that matters is:

1. Do you like the player?
2. Can he help your team?
2. When can you get him?

We draft so late in every round we almost have to draft a player half a round higher than they are "rated" to have any chance to get them.

If I had to guess what the team would do if Mack, Britton, and Beatty were all taken before we pick (and we don't trade up), I would think the team would select Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith (if they are available) as the BPA over Brace, Unger, Wood, and Robinson. I would prefer to use both of our first day picks in the trenches, as well as another perhaps another two out of the next four selections on big uglies, but I could see them going with a corner with the first pick in a case like that. Just a feeling I have.

Discipline of Steel
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I saw someones prediction (out of the millions) that the Steelers are lining up to take a CB in the 3 or 4th round. They said we dont need THE STUD SHUTDOWN corner for our system, but we are in dire need of a very good CB that can quickly become a key cog in the machine. If Mack, Britton, and Beatty are gone at #32 then I say Fili Fili Fili !!! Stay in the trenches! Hampton has one more year MAX

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I saw someones prediction (out of the millions) that the Steelers are lining up to take a CB in the 3 or 4th round. They said we dont need THE STUD SHUTDOWN corner for our system, but we are in dire need of a very good CB that can quickly become a key cog in the machine. If Mack, Britton, and Beatty are gone at #32 then I say Fili Fili Fili !!! Stay in the trenches! Hampton has one more year MAX

If you look at the stickied pre-draft visit thread, you'll see that there are a number of CB's that have either visited already or are rumored as possible visits:

CB Vontae Davis (round 1)
CB Alphonso Smith (round 1-2)
CB Sherrod Martin (round 2-3)
CB Keenan Lewis (round 2-3)
CB Mike Mickens (round 2-3)
CB Joe Burnett (round 4-5)
CB Donald Washington (Round 5-6)
CB Don Carey (round 7 or FA)
CB Ellis Lankster (round 7 or FA)
CB Tony Carter (round 7 or FA)
CB Greg Toler (FA)

pfelix73
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I still say that we aren't going to be taking many OL in this draft. I'd be surprised if it's more than 2 and really I think it'll only be 1 in the first 4 or 5 rounds. We have guys already on the roster that have NFL experience and will compete at OL. Why take a load of them only to have them get cut?

I still don't see us taking a Center at 32. Again, what do you get with Mack that you don't get with Wood or Shipley later on in the draft? If your answer is only the mere fact on 'arm length' that just doesn't cut it, IMO. And I still say Shipley comes from a better program than Mack does......And I think that means something.

Oviedo
04-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Round 3 or 4 is right to get a CB for our system. I will be seriously ticked (not that it matters) if we waste our Round 1 on a CB. I'd rather take a WR over a CB in Round 1.

RuthlessBurgher
04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I still say that we aren't going to be taking many OL in this draft. I'd be surprised if it's more than 2 and really I think it'll only be 1 in the first 4 or 5 rounds. We have guys already on the roster that have NFL experience and will compete at OL. Why take a load of them only to have them get cut?

I still don't see us taking a Center at 32. Again, what do you get with Mack that you don't get with Wood or Shipley later on in the draft? If your answer is only the mere fact on 'arm length' that just doesn't cut it, IMO. And I still say Shipley comes from a better program than Mack does......And I think that means something.

The only backup o-lineman with ANY actual playing experience is Trai Essex. The only playing time that guys like Jason Capizzi, Jeremy Parquet, Doug Legursky, and Tony Hills have is in pre-season games. Essex and Hills should make the team, but I think we can improve upon those other 3 undrafted free agent guys (perhaps one of the three make the squad if we can draft some rookies who might have the potential to actually compete for starting spots at some point). I would like to draft at least one interior o-lineman and at least one tackle within the first 4-5 rounds. I would also like to draft a NT and a DE within the first 4-5 rounds.

costanza2k1
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Lolly's Mock Part II

THURSDAY, APRIL 16, 2009
Mock Draft Part II
Here is mock draft II as we get a week closer to the actual thing. My final mock will be out Friday, March 24.

1. Detroit, Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - The Lions seem to be settling in on taking the quarterback with the first pick.

2. St. Louis, Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - The Rams have a lot of holes, but the release of Orlando Pace may have tipped their hand.

3. Kansas City, Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - The Chiefs are going to a 3-4 defense and Curry has the ability to play inside or outside.

4. Seattle, Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech – After suffering through a terrible season with injuries at the position in 2008, the Seahawks grab a stud.

5. Cleveland, B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College – They just gave a boatload of money to Shaun Rogers last year, but he already wants out.

6. Cincinnati, Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – The Bengals like to score points in bunches. They just can’t stop anybody.

7. Oakland, Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia – With Crabtree and Maclin gone, the Raiders go for another big need.

8. Jacksonville, Andre Smith, OT, Alabama – The Jags allowed 42 sacks in 2008, a lot for a team that only throws it 20 times per game.

9. Green Bay, Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU – With the switch to a 3-4, the Packers need bigger defensive ends.

10. San Francisco, Mark Sanchez, QB. USC – The 49ers have all but given up on Alex Smith.

11. Buffalo, Everette Brown, DE. Florida State – The Bills were pitiful rushing the passer in 2008.

12. Denver, Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State – You didn’t think Kyle Orton was the long-term answer did you?

13. Washington, Brian Oropko, DE, Texas – The Redskins managed just 24 sacks in 2008.

14. New Orleans, Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State – The Saints were incredibly soft in the secondary last season.

15. Houston, Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee – The Texans need to get Mario Williams some pass rushing help.

16. San Diego, Rey Maualuga, LB, USC – Where else would Junior Seau Jr. go?

17. New York Jets, Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – If you don’t have a great quarterback, you’d better at least load up on wide receivers.

18. Denver, Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi – The Broncos’ run defense was non-existent in 2008.

19. Tampa Bay, Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – Cadillac Williams just can’t stay healthy and Ernest Graham is, well, Ernest Graham.

20. Detroit, Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri – The Lions could use help everywhere, but have to get better up front on both sides of the ball.

21. Philadelphia, Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - The Eagles have been looking for a stud WR for seemingly forever.

22. Minnesota, Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – The Vikings have a great defensive front but need help in the defensive backfield.

23. New England, Clay Matthews, LB, USC – Matthews fits the mold of New England linebackers and Bill Belichick coached his dad in Cleveland.

24. Atlanta, Brian Cushing, OLB, USC – The Falcons lost both OLBs in free agency. They signed Mike Peterson, but need another.

25. Miami, James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State – The Dolphins have plenty of holes for a team that made the playoffs in 2008. They hope Laurinaitis is the second-coming of Zach Thomas.

26. Baltimore, Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi – The Ravens have a need at RT.

27. Indianapolis, Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers – With Marvin Harrison now gone, the Colts need somebody to help take pressure off of Reggie Wayne.

28. Philadelphia, Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia – The Eagles don’t want to give Brian Westbrook the ball 30 times per game.

29. New York Giants, Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina – Plaxico Burress is gone and Amani Toomer is way over the hill.

30. Tennessee, Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut – The Titans lost pretty much all of their secondary depth this offseason.

31. Arizona, Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn State – Maybin could give the Cardinals a nice edge rusher for their 3-4.

32. Pittsburgh, Alex Mack, C, California – Mack will be given time to settle in at guard for a year before switching to center.
POSTED BY DALE LOLLEY AT 8:57 PM

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
If Monroe falls to #6, there is no way Cincy passes on him for Maclin. I think Jom would go into cardiac arrest if that happened.

costanza2k1
04-24-2009, 09:53 PM
His final mock....

Here it is, my greatly anticipated final mock.

I expect a number of trades Saturday, but I've done this without any.

I'll be updating from the Steelers headquarters Saturday night, letting you know what I'm hearing.

1. Detroit, Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - As much as I’d love for the Lions to take somebody else – I was a Detroit fan growing up - it appears Stafford is the guy.

2. St. Louis, Eugene Monroe, OT, Virgina – The Rams have many needs, but upgrading the offensive line is a good place to start.

3. Kansas City, Jason Smith, OT, Baylor – Many have the Chiefs taking Aaron Curry, but they’ve signed three linebackers in free agency and Curry really doesn’t rush the passer well.

4. Seattle, Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech – Wide receiver was a huge problem for the Seahawks last year, though a trade down with somebody wanting Mark Sanchez is highly possible.

5. Cleveland, Mark Sanchez, QB, USC – I expect the Browns to move Brady Quinn, opening up a spot for Sanchez.

6. Cincinnati, Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest – The Bengals continue to build their front seven.

7. Oakland, B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College – The Raiders really need to bulk up the run defense.

8. Jacksonville, Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – Maclin gets time to work with Torry Holt.

9. Green Bay, Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi – The Packers need a starter at RT and Oher can handle the job and is a little safer pick than Andre Smith.

10. San Francisco, Andre Smith, OT, Alabama – The 49ers gave up more sacks than the Steelers last year - that’s right, more.

11. Buffalo, Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas – The Bills need to add to their non-existent pass rush.

12. Denver, Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU – The Broncos get the best 3-4 end in this draft.

13. Washington, Rey Mauluga, LB, USC – The Redskins really want to move up and get Sanchez. That will be the key to this draft.

14. New Orleans, Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State – This is a no-brainer. He could be a corner, he could be a safety. Either way, he’ll help the Saints, who need both.

15. Houston, Clay Matthews, LB, USC – Surprise, surprise. This one is picking up some steam.

16. San Diego, Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia – The Chargers are concerned that LaDainian Tomlinson is close to the end and know that Darren Sproles isn’t an every-down back.

17. N.Y. Jets, Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State – Jets have to get their quarterback of the future.

18. Denver, Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State – The Broncos get a top pass rusher to convert to OLB.

19. Tampa Bay, Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi – The Bucs haven’t been fearsome up front for several years.

20. Detroit, Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee – None of the remaining OTs deserve to be take this high, so the Lions go for a DE.

21. Philadelphia, Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – The Eagles pair Beanie with Brian Westbrook.

22. Minnesota, Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland – The Vikings badly need playmakers on the outside to open things up for the running game.

23. New England, Brian Cushing, LB, USC – The Patriots need to continue to get younger at linebacker.

24. Atlanta, Darius Butler, CB, UConn – The Falcons get a great playmaking cornerback.

25. Miami, Larry English, LB, N. Illinois – Bill Parcells doesn’t mind taking defensive ends from small schools and making them linebacker ala. DeMarcus Ware.

26. Baltimore, Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – The Ravens are making over their cornerback position.

27. Indianapolis, Evander Hood, DT, Missouri – The Colts started a pair of tackles that barely topped 500 pounds combined in 2008.

28. Buffalo, Eben Britton, OT, Arizona – The Bills got their pass rusher with their first pick, now they get an offensive tackle to replace Jason Peters.

29. New York Giants, Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina – He’s not quite as big as Plaxico Burress, but he’s faster and has better hands.

30. Tennessee, Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State – The Titans are working to get Anquan Boldin away from Arizona, but Robiskie is a solid, safe pick.

31. Arizona, Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn State – Running back is a possibility, but Maybin is good value here.

32. Pittsburgh, Max Unger, G-C, Oregon – Unger started at all five offensive line positions for the Ducks, but his best position is center. He’ll start at guard for the Steelers before eventually shifting inside.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 7:49 PM