PDA

View Full Version : Bengals sign DT Tank Johnson

Mick'sTeam
04-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Should be an improvement for them as long as he can continue to keep himself out of trouble.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fa8a50&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Jom112
04-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I didn't want us to sign him, but now that we have I hope he can keep his nose clean. He's a talented player and will definitely help our defensive rotation.

For all the guys following the draft, here are some stats from when Tank entered the NFL: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=58873&draftyear=2004&genpos=DT

6'3, 304 lbs.
31 reps at 225
4.69 40 Time

That's right a 304 pound DT running a 4.69 40...

steelernation77
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow and 31 reps? He must have some big guns...

Uncle Rico
04-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Building a franchise with sociopaths is hardly a recipe for success.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
For a player like Tank to succeed he would have to enter into a stable environment. He would need to be surrounded by players of high character, in a locker room with strong internal leadership. In short, he would have to go to a team like the Steelers, not the Bengals. However, the Steelers never go after players like this of such weak character. Maybe that is how they are able to maintain their stable locker room.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
The Bengals just don't get it! Marvin Lewis says he wants his team to resemble the way the Steelers do things. Well you just failed. Another inmate joins the bengals!

Ozey74
04-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Unless that socialpath is Mr. Jack Lambert! This would be the only exception.

:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Nah...there is also Greg Lloyd and James Harrison as well. :tt1

Ozey74
04-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Nah...there is also Greg Lloyd and James Harrison as well. :tt1

Your right about those 2! I just named the original!

steelafornia
04-09-2009, 01:31 AM
and now add leon hall to the list

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/f ... index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/08/hall.bengals.ap/index.html)

BATAVIA, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio State Highway Patrol spokesman says Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Leon Hall was arrested in southwest Ohio and charged with drunken driving.

Patrol spokesman Lt. Tony Bradshaw says a state trooper stopped Hall just after 3 a.m. Sunday in Clermont County, west of Cincinnati.

Bradshaw says the 24-year-old Hall was polite and cooperative, acknowledged he had been drinking and took a breath test that showed a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.149. The legal limit in Ohio is 0.08.

Hall is the first Bengals player to face criminal charges in nearly a year. He's scheduled to be arraigned in Clermont County Municipal Court on Friday.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan referred to the team's "standard policy that we refrain from commenting on legal matters that are unresolved."

proudpittsburgher
04-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I didn't want us to sign him, but now that we have I hope he can keep his nose clean. He's a talented player and will definitely help our defensive rotation.

No disrespect here Jom, but doesn't this line of thinking get old?
Marvin Lewis and Co. obviously don't care if a guy is hi-character or not, just that he can play. The Bengals have been burned over and over again. Ironically enough, they did on the same day they signed Tank (Leon Hall). How many times does a fan or a front office person have to get burned before realizing that maybe, just maybe this isn't the way to go about things. It is pretty apparent that as much as the Bengals have more than their fare share of idiots on their team, that Marvin Lewis is the problem.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/f ... index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/08/hall.bengals.ap/index.html)

BATAVIA, Ohio (AP) -- An Ohio State Highway Patrol spokesman says Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Leon Hall was arrested in southwest Ohio and charged with drunken driving.

Patrol spokesman Lt. Tony Bradshaw says a state trooper stopped Hall just after 3 a.m. Sunday in Clermont County, west of Cincinnati.

Bradshaw says the 24-year-old Hall was polite and cooperative, acknowledged he had been drinking and took a breath test that showed a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.149. The legal limit in Ohio is 0.08.

Hall is the first Bengals player to face criminal charges in nearly a year. He's scheduled to be arraigned in Clermont County Municipal Court on Friday.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan referred to the team's "standard policy that we refrain from commenting on legal matters that are unresolved."

Well at least he was polite and cooperative with the officer, unlike a certain WR recently who some Steeler fans (mind-blowingly) want to bring back to Pittsburgh for some strange reason that I cannot possibly comprehend.

Burress: 'I know the sheriff personally'

ESPN.com news services

Plaxico Burress, released Friday by the Giants amid an ongoing gun-possession case in New York, cursed out a police officer in Florida during a recent traffic stop, telling the cop he was going to be in trouble because Burress knew the sheriff "personally," the New York Post has reported.

Burress, who faces a possible 3-year prison sentence on the gun charge, replied to each of the officer's questions and commands with an "[expletive] you" during the stop, the newspaper reported, citing police.

Broward County Deputy Sheriff Donald Harris pulled Burress over around 10:30 a.m. on March 18 for speeding on Interstate 95 near Fort Lauderdale, the Post reported. Harris opened the door of Burress' black 2008 Toyota Sequoia when the officer couldn't see inside the player's SUV.

"[Expletive] you," Burress said, according to the Post. "You can't open my [expletive] door."

Burress, who the police report said was driving like "he was going to kill somebody," was issued a $150 speeding citation, his fifth traffic ticket in Florida in the past month, the report said.

According to the police, a "violent and aggressive" Burress, 31, was asked to get out of his car to be checked for weapons.

"You're going to hear about this by the end of your shift," said Burress, who has a house in South Florida, as he returned to his car, according to the newspaper report.

Burress also received tickets for going 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, improper tags, improper lane change and improper window tinting on March 1, the Post reported.

His gun-possession case was adjourned last Tuesday until June 15.

Jom112
04-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Marvin Lewis and Co. obviously don't care if a guy is hi-character or not, just that he can play. The Bengals have been burned over and over again. Ironically enough, they did on the same day they signed Tank (Leon Hall). How many times does a fan or a front office person have to get burned before realizing that maybe, just maybe this isn't the way to go about things. It is pretty apparent that as much as the Bengals have more than their fare share of idiots on their team, that Marvin Lewis is the problem.

The really sad part is the Leon Hall was supposed to be the clean cut draft pick. The positive image guy to help turn the team's attitude around. I don't think anyone thought Hall was a risky pick character wise...

Djfan
04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Did you catch that part about "Standard policy" about responding to police question? Can you imagine having to have such a policy?

That team has issues. Sorry Jom. You seem like a stand up guy, but that is just bad stuff.

proudpittsburgher
04-09-2009, 12:32 PM

The really sad part is the Leon Hall was supposed to be the clean cut draft pick. The positive image guy to help turn the team's attitude around. I don't think anyone thought Hall was a risky pick character wise...

And he may not be, a DUI does not a bad-man make. But it is becoming way too common for this franchise. The drafting is one thing, but they just keep SIGNING those bad apples. Not that I have any simpathy for them anyway, because they are the Bengals, but even if they weren't, I just can't do anything but laugh.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
And he may not be, a DUI does not a bad-man make.

A blood alcohol level of 0.149 is nothing to sneeze at, though. That is higher than Donte Stallworth's was when he killed a guy.

fezziwig
04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Bengals deserve to lose with all the stupid choices that they make with their players.
The team is immature as a whole and to continue to sign these head cases is the perfect plan for failure.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM

How bad off is a franchise when they feel it necessary to include this as the upside to the story?? :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-09-2009, 10:03 PM

This is the unfortunate flip side to my comments at the beginning of this thread. You can't drop one good kid into the middle of a bad locker room and expect the 24 year old to single handedly reverse the ingrained culture of the team. It will backfire, and instead to will waych as the good kid gets in trouble after being surrounded by thugs. To rid the team of their infestation, you have to rip away the rotting core. They were never one Leon Hall away from turning it around.

proudpittsburgher
04-10-2009, 08:53 AM
And he may not be, a DUI does not a bad-man make.

A blood alcohol level of 0.149 is nothing to sneeze at, though. That is higher than Donte Stallworth's was when he killed a guy.

No, you are right. I think my comment came off wrong from how I intended it, because after looking at it again, even I think I am a moron. :) A lot of the problems on the Bengals, in recent history, are thuglike and immature in nature. A DUI can be a mistake, one that a lot of people can make. Not any less wrong than punching a cop or something like that, I can just see how a good person could make a mistake, one that could be deadly. Either way, The Bengals just don't learn, and under Marvin Lewis, they deserve everything they get.