PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich and Redskins

calmkiller
04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
PFT

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09094/960661-100.stm

‘Skins Sniffing Around Leftwich
Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2009, 1:40 p.m.

The Washington Redskins tried to land quarterback Jay Cutler. It didn’t happen.

So as they try to rebuild their relationship with current starter Jason Campbell, they’re flirting with yet another signal-caller.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers free-agent quarterback Byron Lefwich visited the ‘Skins on Friday, and a contract is being negotiated.

Leftwich, a top-ten pick of the Jags in 2003, was abruptly cut by Jacksonville only eight days before the start of the 2007 season. He landed in Atlanta that year, then won a Super Bowl ring as Ben Roethlisberger’s backup in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers reportedly would like to bring him back, but he has been on the market for more than a month.

In Washington, Leftwich would enter a depth chart that includes veteran Todd Collins and second-year pro Colt Brennan. Leftwich’s presence likely would set up a showdown between himself and Collins for the No. 2 spot on the roster, with an outside chance that Brennan will win the backup job, and both Leftwich and Collins will be cut.

For Leftwich, playing in D.C. would be his first exposure to the West Coast offense, and it makes sense for him to spend as much time as possible in the offseason learning the attack.

Jooser
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Figures we'd let him slip away. He's a hell of a guy and deserves better than the skins.

BURGH86STEEL
04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Figures we'd let him slip away. He's a hell of a guy and deserves better than the skins.

I do not think this is about the Steelers letting Leftwich slip away. This is about what Leftwich wants. He wants the opportunity to be a starter. That is something he will never get with a long term commitment to Ben. Maybe Leftwich will make the Skins a better team? Snyder may not go about winning the right way but I do not think there is any doubt he wants to win. Especially, with some of the crazy moves & money he has spent.

Chachi
04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I do not think this is about the Steelers letting Leftwich slip away. This is about what Leftwich wants. He wants the opportunity to be a starter. That is something he will never get with a long term commitment to Ben. Maybe Leftwich will make the Skins a better team? Snyder may not go about winning the right way but I do not think there is any doubt he wants to win. Especially, with some of the crazy moves & money he has spent.

The Steelrs must not be willing to give him a 1 year deal. That would be, in my estimation, Byron's best situation. Stay here one more year, placed as the backup, get in a few snaps as it is jsut about a given that Ben will miss a few to injury this coming year, as he always has, and then test the market again next year.

I can't imagine Byron wants to go into the situation that he seems to be entering, to go somewhere(Redskins) and fight for a back-up role when he has one locked up here already.

It is logical that he has a much bigger chance to supplant Jason Campbell once he wins the back up role than he would here with Ben. That has to be is goal with this possible situation......in through the back door.

Steel Life
04-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Here's the thing I don't understand...schematically the Redskins are a poor fit for Byron's skill set. HC Jim Zorn runs a West-Coast offense which is predicated on short routes & timing passes & Byron is a gunner with a beautiful deep ball. You can't help but wonder if there are two dynamics in play here...first, Byron is from the DC area & maybe Batch kept extolling the virtues of being the "hometown hero"; and second, Byron is another well-known name & we all know Snyder likes to assemble teams like he's playing Madden.

I hope for the best for him...but I really think it's here & I hope his agent did this to kick-start things with the Steelers.

Oviedo
04-05-2009, 09:52 AM

I totally agree. The Redskins were willing to trade Campbell away for Cutler so you have to believe that he isn't "the man." Leftwich has been upfront all along and said he wanted a situation where he could compete to be the starter. That will never happen in Pittsburgh. A bad stretch by Campbell and he could become the starter in Washington.

I also think that Leftwich grew up as a Redskins fan so he probably would love to play there.

That said I am really nervous about Batch. I think he needs to become a coach and not the back up for a team that could challenge for the Super Bowl. I hope Dixon has grown a lot in the last year because Batch starting for an extended period would be a disaster.

BURGH86STEEL
04-05-2009, 01:32 PM

I totally agree. The Redskins were willing to trade Campbell away for Cutler so you have to believe that he isn't "the man." Leftwich has been upfront all along and said he wanted a situation where he could compete to be the starter. That will never happen in Pittsburgh. A bad stretch by Campbell and he could become the starter in Washington.

I also think that Leftwich grew up as a Redskins fan so he probably would love to play there.

That said I am really nervous about Batch. I think he needs to become a coach and not the back up for a team that could challenge for the Super Bowl. I hope Dixon has grown a lot in the last year because Batch starting for an extended period would be a disaster.

What other backup would you suggest outside of Batch? Are there any other quality vets out there right now? Bringing in another QB means he will have to learn the offense. I do not think they will draft another QB this year. I think Batch is the best option at this point if they cannot retain Leftwich. It may not even come down to that. Dixon may show enough in camp to be the primary backup. That will leave Batch as the emergency QB. It will be interesting to see who they will bring in as the 4th QB in camp.

We all want the perfect team from starter to backups. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. We were fortunate to have Leftwich last season. The dynamics of the league and competitiveness of players do not allow those types of moves to happen very often.

WoodleyofTroy
04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
If Leftwich leaves, there's always going to be more QB cuts the Steelers can pick up later on, as a serviceable back up if Ben goes down. Just like how they got Leftwich.

costanza2k1
04-05-2009, 05:49 PM
The Redskins have informed Byron Leftwich that he would not be competing with Jason Campbell for the starting job if he signs on with Washington.
Leftwich would play only if Campbell suffered an injury or was pulled due to poor performance. While Leftwich is a D.C. area native, he has let teams know that he would prefer to stay in Pittsburgh if he's not going to be afforded the opportunity to compete for a starting job. Apr. 5 - 11:32 am et
Source: Washington Post

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 70&id=1478 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=142070&id=1478)

Lonbull
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Here's the thing I don't understand...schematically the Redskins are a poor fit for Byron's skill set. HC Jim Zorn runs a West-Coast offense which is predicated on short routes & timing passes & Byron is a gunner with a beautiful deep ball.

I certainly want what's best for the Steelers and I think Leftwich backing-up Ben is just that - however you have to wonder why the Vikings aren't sending a limo to pick Lefty up?

He seems perfect for Minnesota? And I think he'd be competing for a starting job there. I have never understood their love for T. Jackson?

L.B.

stlrz d
04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Here's the thing I don't understand...schematically the Redskins are a poor fit for Byron's skill set. HC Jim Zorn runs a West-Coast offense which is predicated on short routes & timing passes & Byron is a gunner with a beautiful deep ball.

I certainly want what's best for the Steelers and I think Leftwich backing-up Ben is just that - however you have to wonder why the Vikings aren't sending a limo to pick Lefty up?

He seems perfect for Minnesota? And I think he'd be competing for a starting job there. I have never understood their love for T. Jackson?

L.B.

The Vikings brought in Sage Rosenfels.

Lonbull
04-06-2009, 12:11 PM

I guess I kind of keep waiting for someone to say that was a joke --- in all seriousness the Vikings remind me so much of the late 90's Steelers -

Great Defense, Great Running Back and at QB either Kordell or Kent Graham = Tavaris or Sage.

:wft

L.B.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2009, 12:26 PM

I guess I kind of keep waiting for someone to say that was a joke --- in all seriousness the Vikings remind me so much of the late 90's Steelers -

Great Defense, Great Running Back and at QB either Kordell or Kent Graham = Tavaris or Sage.

L.B.

That's a mighty good comparison right there.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/44/446542m.jpg http://j.bdbphotos.com/pictures/H/2/H2N8F4.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/football/nfl/players/5557.jpghttp://www.nopactalent.com/speakerphotos/photos/6312Kent_Graham.jpg

stlrz d
04-06-2009, 12:42 PM

L.B.

I actually think he'll be alright for them. Good defense and strong running game backing him so all he's got to do is take care of the ball. Unlike what he did against the Colts last season when he tried to be a hero. :P

fezziwig
04-06-2009, 04:20 PM
What is the chance that Cambell would stink up the place and allow Leftwich his window of opportunity ?

Wonder how long the leash would be for Cambell ? If no starting offers are given to Lefty he, has a better chance becoming a starter behind Cambell than Big Ben.
Lefty may say he would rather remain a Steeler and I'm glad but, the way Snyder throws money around it might entice Byron to change his mind.

LasVegasGuy
04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
What is the chance that Cambell would stink up the place and allow Leftwich his window of opportunity ?

Wonder how long the leash would be for Cambell ? If no starting offers are given to Lefty he, has a better chance becoming a starter behind Cambell than Big Ben.
Lefty may say he would rather remain a Steeler and I'm glad but, the way Snyder throws money around it might entice Byron to change his mind.

Remember the Redskins saw first hand what Lefty can do last year and it wouldn't surprise me if they bring him in to compete for the starting gig.

Does anyone remember our game against them last year when Ben could get out of his own way for almost 3 quarters before Lefty came in and lit the Redskins up? I think they liked what they saw and I'm sure he is being told he has every opportunity to win the starting job. Besides Campbell sucks so it should be that hard for Lefty to unseat him over Ben.

AkronSteel
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Remember the Redskins saw first hand what Lefty can do last year and it wouldn't surprise me if they bring him in to compete for the starting gig.

Does anyone remember our game against them last year when Ben could get out of his own way for almost 3 quarters before Lefty came in and lit the Redskins up? I think they liked what they saw and I'm sure he is being told he has every opportunity to win the starting job. Besides Campbell sucks so it should be that hard for Lefty to unseat him over Ben.

I don't think they are going to give him an opportunity to compete for the starting gig. I think they are only bringing him in to maybe compete with Collins for the backup job, but I do agree with you. Campbell does stink and Leftwich would probably take them farther but I don't think that is their thinking, even if it is stupid!

If I recall correctly Leftwich came in at halftime of that game after Ben looked terrible in the first half and got injured on a QB sneak at the end of the half. I thought the same thing though....they brought him in for a visit because of how he performed when given the opportunity last year against them.

LasVegasGuy
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM

I don't think they are going to give him an opportunity to compete for the starting gig. I think they are only bringing him in to maybe compete with Collins for the backup job, but I do agree with you. Campbell does stink and Leftwich would probably take them farther but I don't think that is their thinking, even if it is stupid!

If I recall correctly Leftwich came in at halftime of that game after Ben looked terrible in the first half and got injured on a QB sneak at the end of the half. I thought the same thing though....they brought him in for a visit because of how he performed when given the opportunity last year against them.

I thought it was 3 quarters but you are probably right. The difference between Lefty and Ben was night and day in that game. What doesn't make sense is leaving one backup job for another. Granted, we haven't signed him or even offered a contract but I have to think one is coming. Lefty is either using the Redskins to bait us into offering something or he legitametly feels he has a chance to start. I guess we wait and see.

fezziwig
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
It is also just my hunch on the sly, Leftwich may be the starter the Skins really want. If Cambell is just average at best and the way Lefty looked against them as a Steeler might be all that there needs to be. Remember how many people wanted Leftwich to be the starter over Ben after that game ?

I wonder why the Steelers haven't oiffered Leftwich or Batch anything yet ? Are they more concerened about bigger fish to fry ?
Probably going to allow these guys to feel, they're not all that to the front office and don't expect a lot when it comes down to the contract.

I hope the Steelers can get up on a couple or few teams this season to allow our backup quarterback or quarterbacks in the game and get polished with some real playing time.