PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich, Batch still seek jobs

fordfixer
04-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Leftwich, Batch still seek jobs
Friday, April 03, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09093/960294-66.stm

The Steelers did not enter the bidding for Denver's Jay Cutler, but they do need a quarterback -- two of them, in fact.

With the draft just three weeks from tomorrow, the Steelers have only two quarterbacks under contract: starter Ben Roethlisberger, with his two Super Bowl rings, and Dennis Dixon, who spent almost all of his rookie season on the sideline.

The Steelers want to sign one or both of their veteran backups, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich, both of whom are unrestricted free agents. Yet there seems to be no rush on either side to make a move.

That could change over the next few days.

Leftwich has been talking to one unnamed team other than the Steelers, who have told him they would like to sign him for another year. He has found little interest in him as a starting quarterback in the NFL. If he does not get that chance, he has said he would like to rejoin the Steelers. Leftwich has been working out in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Batch, who has been working out with the Steelers, also wishes to return, but like Leftwich, who has the same agent, he has received no contract offer yet from the team. Batch also has received little interest elsewhere.

In the meantime, Dixon, too, has been working out with the Steelers the past two weeks and hopes to make a leap from his rookie season.

"It's my time to go out and get a lot of reps," Dixon said. "I'm still learning, but I'm expected to know more and I'm willing to show them I'm ready."

The Steelers see Dixon as their backup quarterback eventually but perhaps not in 2009. Their goal would be to bring all four quarterbacks to camp.

"It would be great to have that kind of depth going into the season," said Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations. "Just as we found out last year, just because you go in with four healthy quarterbacks doesn't mean you'll come out with four of them healthy. So that is still a possibility. I think we'll see that in the next few weeks."

Batch and Leftwich must know that barring an injury, if each signs with the Steelers, one of them stands to be cut because the team wants to keep Dixon, and it's unlikely four will remain on the 53-man roster come September. If only one signs, the Steelers will sign a young quarterback after the draft to have a fourth arm for training camp.

Dixon remains a possibility as No. 2 depending on what happens with Batch and Leftwich and how Dixon develops. Dixon also could be used in different ways in his second season -- for example, a slash-type role that Kordell Stewart played in 1995 and '96.

"I wouldn't mind," Dixon said. "If my name was called to get on the field, whether it's as slash or drop-back, whatever, I'd be happy. If my name's called, I'm ready."

NOTE -- Oregon defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris visited the Steelers yesterday. Harris, who is 6-4, 300 pounds, started one season at Oregon and is considered a mid- to late-round draft choice.
First published on April 3, 2009 at 12:00 am

Mister Pittsburgh
04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Hopefully we resign Leftwich. I hope Batch isn't our primary backup QB. Great Pittsburgh guy, great philanthropist, but don't want him as #2. If Ben went down we would be F'ed where I don't feel we would be nearly as F'ed if Leftwich was #2.

Jooser
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I agree. I am really hoping that we find a way to bring back Byron. Though, my gut tells me Colbert's prolly more interested in Batch since he'll be cheaper.

ROLROC
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Would welcome Leftwich back in a heartbeat- surprised no other team has signed him. Batch...uh, no.

True Fan
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
c'mon already. give lefty a 2 year deal worth decent money and say goodbye to batch. these cheapasses will let lefty sign somewhere else for a meer few hundred thousand but will throw huge money at scabs like colon, kemo and starks.

MicroBioSteel
04-03-2009, 03:47 PM
c'mon already. give lefty a 2 year deal worth decent money and say goodbye to batch. these cheapasses will let lefty sign somewhere else for a meer few hundred thousand but will throw huge money at scabs like colon, kemo and starks.

These cheapasses put together Championship Football teams. There is method to their madness and the results show in Feb.

When is the last time Snyder or Jerry played and won in Feb?

Discipline of Steel
04-03-2009, 06:57 PM

These cheapasses put together Championship Football teams. There is method to their madness and the results show in Feb.

:Beer

Mick'sTeam
04-03-2009, 08:20 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think True Fan is saying they should go out and spend on free agency the way Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones do. Behind Ben, our QB situation is a little shaky with Lefty and Batch both being unsigned and Dixon the only other on the roster. With the amount of hits Ben takes do you feel comfortable with that situation? I know I certainly don't. And if it came down to signing one of those two, while Batch has served us well in the past, at this point in their careers I would take Lefty in a heartbeat. Don't spend unnecessarily like some other organizations do, but give the guy a fair deal, get him signed and off the market, and get the position in order for this team.

AngryAsian
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think True Fan is saying they should go out and spend on free agency the way Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones do. Behind Ben, our QB situation is a little shaky with Lefty and Batch both being unsigned and Dixon the only other on the roster. With the amount of hits Ben takes do you feel comfortable with that situation? I know I certainly don't. And if it came down to signing one of those two, while Batch has served us well in the past, at this point in their careers I would take Lefty in a heartbeat. Don't spend unnecessarily like some other organizations do, but give the guy a fair deal, get him signed and off the market, and get the position in order for this team.

MT, I agree with your above sentiments, but before we start addressing our second string guys, I say we lock up our 1st string stellar warriors that have soon to be expired contracts next season.

Starlifter
04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
does anyone else find it odd that lefty and batch have the same agent? how do you represent 2 guys competing for the same job?

Sugar
04-04-2009, 11:34 AM
As some on this board have said before, I would prefer if Batch got himself into coaching. I'm just not sure his body can do what his mind knows anymore.

BURGH86STEEL
04-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Hard to believe that several teams do not want to give Leftwich a shot as a starter. Seems there are several teams that need QBs.

It will be good if the team can keep Leftwich another year. If Leftwich signs somewhere, Batch will be a good option. At least until Dixon is ready to step up and be the number 2 QB. That may very well happen this season. Batch will not be a bad 3rd option if Dixon wins the number 2 job. At least the team has some quality options at the backup QB position.

SteelBucks
04-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Looks like Snyder has turned to Plan B after the Cutler deal fell through.......

Steelers backup QB Leftwich in talks with Redskins
Saturday, April 04, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Byron Leftwich paid a visit to the Washington Redskins Friday and the two sides are talking about a contract.

Leftwich does not yet have an offer from the Steelers, where he was the backup quarterback last season after an injury to Charlie Batch in the preseason.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, have each said they'd like to re-sign both Leftwich and Batch. Both are unrestricted free agents.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Only way I want Batch on the roster is if Dixon is ready to be the #2 QB and Batch #3. If Ben went down and Batch was #2, we would pretty much suck. We would try and hide behind a non existent run game and gain 80 yards a game with 30 carries and Batch would throw for 100 yds tops. That would only last about 2 games though because he would get injured with our pourous offensive, and his old body. Charlie looked like he was crapping the bed the last time he played....where he got his collarbone broken.

Dixon would start anyway, or some old scrub off the streets they would be forced to bring in because there is no way Batch would make it through any extended period of time.

aggiebones
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
If they think Dixon is capable in being the no.2 by next year, then they'll sign Batch for 1 more season. If they think Dixon may take a while longer or isn't going to play QB, then they may try to get Leftwich cheap.

Oviedo
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Only way I want Batch on the roster is if Dixon is ready to be the #2 QB and Batch #3. If Ben went down and Batch was #2, we would pretty much suck. We would try and hide behind a non existent run game and gain 80 yards a game with 30 carries and Batch would throw for 100 yds tops. That would only last about 2 games though because he would get injured with our pourous offensive, and his old body. Charlie looked like he was crapping the bed the last time he played....where he got his collarbone broken.

Dixon would start anyway, or some old scrub off the streets they would be forced to bring in because there is no way Batch would make it through any extended period of time.

:Agree No way do I want Batch to be the guy to step in if Ben gets hurt. Batch has not looked good in 2 years when given the chance to play. He can't make plays happen. Batch is a great team mate and a solid citizen. Offer him a job as a coach and resign Leftwich.