04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
looking for link.just reported on ESPN Radio
supposedly Kyle Orton and 2 picks

Cutler to the Bears

April 2, 2009 5:28 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Broncos just released this statement:

BRONCOS AGREE TO TRADE QB JAY CUTLER TO CHICAGO

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos have agreed in principle to trade quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears. Terms of the deal will be disclosed at a later time.

calmkiller
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Bears get Culter

Broncos get 1st and 3rd this year, 2010 1st and Kyle Orton!

http://www.nfl.com/

Insane, he is not worth all that.

calmkiller
04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Bears Give Up Big Package For Cutler
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 5:20 p.m.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9409280/Sources:-Cutler-dealt-to-Bears-for-2-picks,-Orton) reports that the Chicago Bears have sent two first-round picks, a third-round pick, and quarterback Kyle Orton to the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler and a fifth-round draft pick.

The Bears held the 18th pick in the first round of the draft.

Per NFLPA records, Orton is signed through 2009, at a base salary of $995,000.

phillyesq
04-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow. Nice haul for the Broncos, although they now have to look for another franchise guy at QB.

Makes the deal the Pats* got for Cassel look pretty pathetic.

Snatch98
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Yea this deal is insane. I'd expect at least something of that magnitude for Big Ben but Cutler hasn't won sh.it. The Broncos made out like bandits. I'm sure McDaniels is throwing a damn party right now with that haul.

stlrz d
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Cutler should be there for the next 10 years at least.

papillon
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Cutler hasn't proven that he can win consistently enough in the NFL. I'll take the Bronco's end of this deal all day, 4 players for 1 player any time. They can package multiple picks and move up and get a quarterback if they choose or go with Orton and shore up the defense and look for a quarterback next year. I'll take the picks all day.

Hypothetically, what would Ben bring?

Pappy

stlrz d
04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Cutler hasn't proven that he can win consistently enough in the NFL. I'll take the Bronco's end of this deal all day, 4 players for 1 player any time. They can package multiple picks and move up and get a quarterback if they choose or go with Orton and shore up the defense and look for a quarterback next year. I'll take the picks all day.

Pappy

Do you know how many times just last year Denver's D gave up over 30 points? NINE times. Yes, in more than half of their games they allowed 30+ points.

One of those teams was the Browns.

The Browns. Think about that.

The Browns. :shock:

Cutler will be fine in Chicago. Mark my words.

snarky
04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
It's a minor point perhaps, but as I understand it the Broncos give:

Cutler
2009 3rd round pick

and the Bears give

2009 first round pick
2010 first round pick
Orton

I think the Bears got the better end of the bargain, but not by much.

feltdizz
04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Denver made out... everyone says the D sucked so getting an NFL starting QB, although it is Orten, 2 1st and a 3rd is a damn great job..

go hard on D early and try to get to 8-8 this year with Orten.. then go after a QB next year..

Cutler and a 5th to the Bears? The Bears D is no better then Denvers...

also remember Denver had a 3 game lead.. played the Bills, the Raider and San Diego I think, and Cutler had 2TD's and 5 INT's in that stretch...

then he demands a trade...refuses to go to work, sells 2 houses and then says he hasn't heard from management when all he has to do is go to work... and then says he never wanted to be traded.

dude is off IMO... he went in hard on the trade deal.. and I think he will be just as good as he was in Denver.. great stats but bad INT's late in games..

ghettoscott
04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM
It's a minor point perhaps, but as I understand it the Broncos give:

Cutler
2009 3rd round pick

and the Bears give

2009 first round pick
2010 first round pick
Orton

I think the Bears got the better end of the bargain, but not by much.

No. Actually, it is this:

Broncos give:

Cutler
2009 fifth round pick

Bears give:

Orton
2009 first round pick
2009 third round pick
2010 first round pick

Steelgal
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm just glad he didn't go to the Browns.......

I think they gave up too much for him though. Plus the Bears don't have near the wideouts that Denver did. Better give him some decent receivers to throw to.

RuthlessBurgher
04-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Actually, he is probably the most talented QB they have had since Sid Luckman 50-whatever years ago!

SidSmythe
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
When you've gone as long as the Bears have w/out having a great (or even good) QB, this is a great deal for them!!

snarky
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks Ruthless. I confused the 3rd and the 5th.

Iron Shiek
04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
[quote="stlrz d":14wxkos6]Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Pappy

Do you know how many times just last year Denver's D gave up over 30 points? NINE times. Yes, in more than half of their games they allowed 30+ points.

Cutler will be fine in Chicago. Mark my words.[/quote:14wxkos6]

I'm sick of all the Cutler bashing in the media and stuff. He is a good qb...put Ben on that team and he wasn't getting them out of half of those losses. I'm not sayin Cutler is on Ben's level, but he is already or is on his way to being a top 6 or 7 qb in the league.

Only problem is they need a go to WR...I don't think Hester is that. But at least they have Olson and Forte and a hefty line...further bolstered by the Orlando Pace signing. I think giving up 2 1sts and a 3rd is way too much for pretty much any player, but in the end i think this works out good for the Bears.

stlrz d
04-02-2009, 09:49 PM

Actually, he is probably the most talented QB they have had since Sid Luckman 50-whatever years ago!

I think McMahon would have been better had Charles Martin of the Packers not driven his shoulder into the artificial turf at Soldier Field on an interception return. Dirtiest play I've ever witnessed.

papillon
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1hm2jgxk]Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Pappy

Cutler will be fine in Chicago. Mark my words.[/quote:1hm2jgxk]

I agree, he will be fine and that'll get you to about 9-7 or maybe 10-6, but, not a regular basis. So, the Bears did fine in this trade if a little above average is your goal.

Pappy

Jom112
04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
I think the trade was fair for both teams.

The Bears needed a franchise QB and the Broncos needed to move on from Cutler. Although Orton blows, if McDaniels is stupid enough to start Orton then he'll be fired in two years...

stlrz d
04-02-2009, 11:39 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3dxgg9nw]Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Pappy

I agree, he will be fine and that'll get you to about 9-7 or maybe 10-6, but, not a regular basis. So, the Bears did fine in this trade if a little above average is your goal.

Pappy[/quote:3dxgg9nw]

They went 9-7 last season by using a combination of Grossman and Orton.

Cutler is a definite upgrade over those two. Hell, Lovie went to a SB with Grossman at QB. He's going to like having Cutler.

papillon
04-02-2009, 11:57 PM
[quote=papillon][quote="stlrz d":1ixozvu3]Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Pappy

Pappy[/quote:1ixozvu3]

They went 9-7 last season by using a combination of Grossman and Orton.

Cutler is a definite upgrade over those two. Hell, Lovie went to a SB with Grossman at QB. He's going to like having Cutler.[/quote:1ixozvu3]

The Bear defense is in decline; they were in the bottom third last year I believe (somewhere around 20 or 21). I don't really care if Cutler does good or bad; I just don't think giving 4 players for 1 is a good deal ever. I'll take the picks.

Pappy

Jooser
04-03-2009, 12:04 AM
[quote="stlrz d":10qe61hp]Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Pappy

Cutler will be fine in Chicago. Mark my words.[/quote:10qe61hp]

I have to say, I'm in complete agreement here. The Bears are only 2 years removed from the Super Bowl. If not for the 'subpar' QB play there, they may have actually won it. The Ponies have a lot of rebuilding to do, so Cutler may have been a waste there over the next few years. So, the Bears purge themselves of a worthless Kyle Orton, give up a #1 pick that probably should be used for a good QB this year anyways. The #3 pick's a wash, and so they're out their #1 next year - not too shabby in my estimation. Cutler is a gun slinger, and is absolutely loaded with talent. I think that Chicago will definitely benefit from adding him.

stlrz d
04-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Cutler is a proven commodity. Draft picks are no more than an educated guess.

Jooser
04-03-2009, 12:18 AM

...and there ya have it. Good job d.
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/thejake/applause.gif

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM
[quote=papillon][quote="stlrz d":1886jm6h]Sorry to disagree, but this is a fair deal for the Bears. They haven't had a quality QB since the punky QB known as McMahon.

Pappy

Cutler will be fine in Chicago. Mark my words.[/quote:1886jm6h]

I'm sick of all the Cutler bashing in the media and stuff. He is a good qb...put Ben on that team and he wasn't getting them out of half of those losses. I'm not sayin Cutler is on Ben's level, but he is already or is on his way to being a top 6 or 7 qb in the league.

Only problem is they need a go to WR...I don't think Hester is that. But at least they have Olson and Forte and a hefty line...further bolstered by the Orlando Pace signing. I think giving up 2 1sts and a 3rd is way too much for pretty much any player, but in the end i think this works out good for the Bears.[/quote:1886jm6h]

Perhaps Pace could convince his former teammate Torry Holt (who should still have a lot left in the tank) to sign. Holt, Hester, and Cutler's former college teammate (instant chemistry) Earl Bennett is a decent enough WR corps, particularly when you add TE Olsen and RB Forte to the mix.

fezziwig
04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I didn't pay too much attention to Cutler, was he that good ? If he was that good then why, did the Broncos allow him to go ?
To me a franchise QB is what every team needs.

Good job to the Bears for knowing what they wanted and getting Cutler.

Oviedo
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
The real winners in this deal are the Broncos and particularly Josh McDaniel. The Broncos got a load of quality picks to rebuild.

McDaniel essentially gets a pass now in his first year as he implements what he wants to do. There are now no expectations on him whatsoever as he implements his system. He now has two #1 this year and next to get the players that he wants. I think this is what he was angling for all along. he probab;ly reviewed Cutler's tapes and realized that Cutler would not be the best fit for the system that he wanted to implement which is based on taking what the defense gives you just like the Pats. Cutler is a gunslinger in the Tommy Maddox mold. Not a good fit.

Chicago may have gotten a good QB but the problem they have is that he now has no one to throw the ball to. Chicago's WRs are mediocre at best and they don't have the draft picks to get talented ones.

papillon
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Yes, that's true, but, with 4 first round picks in the next two years it will be difficult to miss on all four or even 2 out of 4. There are always busts in the first round to be sure, but on the other hand Cutler had some nice receivers in Denver, not so much in Chicago.

It will be interesting to see how these two teams produce over the next two seasons.

Pappy

motter1975
04-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Since my husband is a Bears fan, I've been looking at their message boards the last few days, and for the most part, those fans REALLY wanted Cutler...in their minds, they were willing to give up anything to get him. Went over there this morning, and for the most part, they are just SO happy. Whether or not Cutler ends up being worth what Chicago gave up to get him in the long term, in the short term, they've upgraded at quarterback, which is something the fans have been pathetically desperate for for a LONG time. The organization has also gained some goodwill with the fans, which isn't a bad thing. I think perhaps the Bears gave up a bit too much, but I also think that it was a price they were willing to pay and one that was worth it to them.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
For those saying that the Bears gave up too much, consider this:

They gave up an '09 1st rounder, an '09 3rd rounder, a '10 1st rounder, and a journeyman QB...

In order to get a potential franchise QB with three years of NFL experience and a Pro Bowl under his belt plus an '09 5th round pick.

For comparison's sake, last year, the Carolina Panthers gave up:

An '08 2nd rounder, an '08 4th rounder, and an '09 1st rounder...

In order to get Jeff Otah, an unproven rookie right tackle.

If you are going to be giving away multiple picks in the current draft as well as a future #1 pick the following year, isn't it better to get a Pro Bowl potential-franchise QB than an rookie right tackle?

grotonsteel
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
For those saying that the Bears gave up too much, consider this:

They gave up an '09 1st rounder, an '09 3rd rounder, a '10 1st rounder, and a journeyman QB...

In order to get a potential franchise QB with three years of NFL experience and a Pro Bowl under his belt plus an '09 5th round pick.

For comparison's sake, last year, the Carolina Panthers gave up:

An '08 2nd rounder, an '08 4th rounder, and an '09 1st rounder...

In order to get Jeff Otah, an unproven rookie right tackle.

If you are going to be giving away multiple picks in the current draft as well as a future #1 pick the following year, isn't it better to get a Pro Bowl potential-franchise QB than an rookie right tackle?

:Agree

You need to have a franchise QB in NFL. Current NFL rules favor a passing-attack.

stlrz d
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Pap - 4 first round picks (if kept) could create $$$ issues as well. How do you pay all those guys?

Ovie - Royal and Avery were 2nd round picks last year. The Bears have a 2nd round pick. ;)

RB - Agree totally with your breakdown.

Jooser - Mike Mayock said something very similar to your analysis. You're in good company.

(dang I wish this board had a multi quote feature) :P

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey Jom!

We know that the Bengals want an OT, but Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe may both be taken in the top 5. The Bengals could reach for Andre Smith or Michael Oher at #6, or they could trade down.

After this Cutler trade, the Broncos could be interested in getting Sanchez, but they would likely have to move ahead of San Fran and Jacksonville to have a shot at him.

Would you make this deal?

Bengals give up:
1.6 (1600 pts)
2.38 (520 pts)
Total (2120 pts)

Broncos give up:
1.12 (1200 pts)
1.18 (900 pts)
Total (2100 pts)

Cincy could take Smith or Oher a bit later (and for less money) at #12, and would still have another mid-first round pick at #18 to improve their defense.

Of course, giving up that early 2nd round pick means that they would not have a shot at Eric Wood anymore, and would have to go with someone like Jonathan Luigs or Antoine Caldwell in the early 3rd round instead.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
This trade shouldn't really impact us for next season, although it does alter things a bit.

We expected to play Jay Cutler's Broncos in Denver and Kyle Orton's Bears in Chicago.

Now we will play Kyle Orton's Broncos in Denver and Jay Cutler's Bears in Chicago.