PDA

View Full Version : Is there any "Steeler" type of FA still available?

steeler_george
03-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Any word of any available "Steeler" type of FA still available?

When did we sign Hartwig was it before the draft or after?

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Any word of any available "Steeler" type of FA still available?

When did we sign Hartwig was it before the draft or after?

Hartwig was signed last March, prior to the April draft.

I think if we want to sign a young veteran WR to replace Nate Washington, Ronald Curry could be a good Steeler-type signing. He is still only 30 (i.e. should be entering his prime). Prior to the disaster in Oakland that was this past season, he had posted back-to-back 700 yard seasons (a level that Nate has not reached). He played QB at UNC (and point guard for the Tar Heels as well), so he is similar to Randle El, who played QB at Indiana (and some point guard under Bob Knight...as well as a year of baseball for the Hoosiers as well). If Mularkey or Whisenhunt were still our O.C., this would be a no-brainer signing, since we could incorporate many of the trick plays that we used en route to SBXL. However, with Arians, you wonder if Curry's skill set might go to waste. It would be interesting to see what Curry would be able to do with a real-life QB throwing to him instead of the crap that Oakland has had under center during his career there. I think he would be willing to sign for reasonable terms.

Oviedo
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I agree someone like Curry would be good in an emergency. I also wouldn't mind a back up RT like Rob Petiti who should be cheap and serviceable.

pfelix73
03-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I doubt they would sign a WR- Sweed should do fine taking over for the departed Washington. Maybe they draft a WR in the later rounds of this draft too, but they still have Dallas Baker on the squad too, so somebody sees something in him.

I would actually see them signing a S or a CB if any FA's are worth the look.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I doubt they would sign a WR- Sweed should do fine taking over for the departed Washington. Maybe they draft a WR in the later rounds of this draft too, but they still have Dallas Baker on the squad too, so somebody sees something in him.

I would actually see them signing a S or a CB if any FA's are worth the look.

There is not much quality out there in the secondary. Looking at the younger guys (under 30 crowd) that are still available, you've got safeties like Michael Boulware (27) or Will Demps (29) and cornerbacks Keiwan Ratliff (28) or Stanley Wilson (26).

steelerkeylargo
03-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I was thinking Curry & Petitti also. Wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Mark tauscher also, if the price is right!
:2c

steelblood
03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
There are a lot of veteran FA CBs out there still. One could come cheap for a one or two year contract. They could provide excellent depth.

McCallister - Oft-injured, but still effective when healthy. Could come cheap and would be a capable starter if needed.
Samari Rolle - see McCallister
Dre Bly - Really struggled in Denver, but could thrive here with help over the top.
Patrick Surtain - Starting to show his age, but could be a good stop-gap guy.
Ken Lucas - Was overpaid by the Panthers and then underperformed relative to the contract. Still has good years left.
Mike McKenzie - A bump and run guy. I'm not sure how he'd do in the STeelers system, but he can be a decent ballhawk

These guys are 8-11 year vets. But, for the most part, can still play and some of them have good size and would provide a much better option than camp invitee Fernando Bryant. I'd consider most of them if they were interested in a club friendly deal to play for a winner.

ramblinjim
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
My best guess is that they will do some nosing around after the draft since we don't have any of those "What in the heck are we going do do here....." kind of needs. Last season, we had to have a center. This season, well everyone is at least serviceable and no one is horrible.

I think Nance is on the roster for WR (maybe he and Ben can re-kindle some magic) and IIRC there is a young corner on the PS from last year that we (meaning Steelers) were pretty high on last year too.

WoodleyofTroy
03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't think we have a hole this year like we did with the Hartwig signing.

But changing the tune for the draft..Look at these studs.

QB - Roethlisberger
RB - Parker, Mendenhall, Moore.
WR - Ward
WR - Holmes
WR - Sweed
TE - Miller

Looking at that, what do you think is missing?

All pro Alex Mack, who can play Center :)

Oviedo
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM

QB - Roethlisberger
WR - Ward
WR - Holmes
WR - Sweed
TE - Miller

I'm concerned about Hines' health. Every year it seems to be more and more plus you are close to asking him to take a huge salary cut. No one knows for sure how he will react to that.

If Derrick Williams is sitting free at 2.64 I think I am seriously considering him.

From walterfootball.con:

Strong points: Williams is an outstanding athlete. His quickness and elusiveness in space make him a valuable playmaker for any team that gets him. Williams has the ability to catch, run, and throw the ball and that makes him an immediate asset to a team with a wide open offense. Williams is a physical strong player who is a very aggressive blocker.

Weaknesses: Williams has never had a ton of production at Penn State and has showed some inconsistencies with his route running. He has also shown signs of a lack of concentration when making moves after the catch or before he has secured the ball.

Summary: Williams is an outstanding athlete and has the ability to make big plays from just about anywhere on the field. He has played many different positions over the years and that versatility makes him a valuable player to an NFL team especially those looking to work on the Wildcat offense. Williams is a very aggressive player who loves contact almost as much as Hines Ward; he blocks very well with great technique and strength. Williams just needs to work on his consistency, concentration, and prove that he can be a productive WR at the next level.

WoodleyofTroy
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM

QB - Roethlisberger
WR - Ward
WR - Holmes
WR - Sweed
TE - Miller

I'm concerned about Hines' health. Every year it seems to be more and more plus you are close to asking him to take a huge salary cut. No one knows for sure how he will react to that.

If Derrick Williams is sitting free at 2.64 I think I am seriously considering him.

From walterfootball.con:

Strong points: Williams is an outstanding athlete. His quickness and elusiveness in space make him a valuable playmaker for any team that gets him. Williams has the ability to catch, run, and throw the ball and that makes him an immediate asset to a team with a wide open offense. Williams is a physical strong player who is a very aggressive blocker.

Weaknesses: Williams has never had a ton of production at Penn State and has showed some inconsistencies with his route running. He has also shown signs of a lack of concentration when making moves after the catch or before he has secured the ball.

Summary: Williams is an outstanding athlete and has the ability to make big plays from just about anywhere on the field. He has played many different positions over the years and that versatility makes him a valuable player to an NFL team especially those looking to work on the Wildcat offense. Williams is a very aggressive player who loves contact almost as much as Hines Ward; he blocks very well with great technique and strength. Williams just needs to work on his consistency, concentration, and prove that he can be a productive WR at the next level.

And what I like most about Derrick Williams. He hasn't left a good impression during these workouts. Which most of the times turns out to meaning success in the pro's lol. (i.e. getting passed on)

phillyesq
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I used the ESPN free agency tracker, so if the info is bad, blame them, not me. :lol:

Anyway, I found a few free agents that might make sense. I'd guess that these would be guys signed after the draft to fill a hole or add a little competition for training camp.

WR:

Shaun McDonald
Mike Furrey (released)
Keary Colbert (he's a bum, but I remember the Steelers were high on him coming out of college -- more a camp body then somebody counted on to be a #4)

CB:

There are plenty of veteran bodies out there if the Steelers don't find anybody in the draft. Nobody great, but plenty of stop-gap types.

DL:

Vonnie Holliday (our DL is already very old, but he has experience in a 3-4. If the Steelers fail to address the DL in the draft -- and I'm really hoping they address it -- he could fill the role of Orpheus Roye this year).
Dwan Edwards (DE/DT) - backup for the Ratbirds. Doesn't sound very good at much of anything, but he is young, and he is a body, and there isn't much out there in terms of DL.

OL:

Richie Incognito -- has played C, G, and T; provides a lot of depth.
Terrence Metcalf -- has played inside and outside. Another backup with a lot of position flexibility.

Oviedo
03-30-2009, 03:36 PM
My best guess is that they will do some nosing around after the draft since we don't have any of those "What in the heck are we going do do here....." kind of needs. Last season, we had to have a center. This season, well everyone is at least serviceable and no one is horrible.

I think Nance is on the roster for WR (maybe he and Ben can re-kindle some magic) and IIRC there is a young corner on the PS from last year that we (meaning Steelers) were pretty high on last year too.

The young CB is Roy Lewis who can also play safety. Ryan Mundy is another young DB that has been "in the system" for a year. I think both of them make the 53 man roster this season and we bid adieu to Tyrone Carter and Anthony Smith (who is already history).

I think Nance is just collecting a paycheck courtesy of his old buddy Ben. Highly unlikely he ever plays a game for us. I'm liking more and more the idea of Derrick Williams, WR, PSU in Round 2.

Discipline of Steel
03-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I think we will be looking for a vet WR. But Ive said it before. If either Hines or Stonio goes down, a rookie doesnt help cause we all know they usually need a year to acclimate to the NFL.

D Rock
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM

The young CB is Roy Lewis who can also play safety. Ryan Mundy is another young DB that has been "in the system" for a year. I think both of them make the 53 man roster this season and we bid adieu to Tyrone Carter and Anthony Smith (who is already history).

I think Nance is just collecting a paycheck courtesy of his old buddy Ben. Highly unlikely he ever plays a game for us. I'm liking more and more the idea of Derrick Williams, WR, PSU in Round 2.

I've watched Williams for 4 years while I've been here at school. He's garbage. His speed doesn't translate to the field and he has far too many mental lapses.

True Fan
03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
sweed= stud :lol:

steelblood
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM

I've watched Williams for 4 years while I've been here at school. He's garbage. His speed doesn't translate to the field and he has far too many mental lapses.

I have to agree. I don't get all the love for Williams. He has not proven himself to be a great college receiver. I think he's been a better running back/gadget guy than a receiver. I'd consider him at the end of the third, but not the second.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM

QB - Roethlisberger
WR - Ward
WR - Holmes
WR - Sweed
TE - Miller

WR is a huge need on this team. If you look at our current group, we only have one definite long term solution - Holmes. If you categorize our receivers I would say:

long term - Holmes
short term unknown - Ward (due to age , style of play, and increased injury frequency)
potential to be long term - Sweed (showed a great knack to get open, amazing size, drops were not a problem in college so hoping it was just a case of rookie jitters)
hopeful without evidence - Baker, Nance

We enter this year pretty thin - hoping Hines stays healthy and Sweed develops. We look at the future and are even worse off - No Hines, Sweed must become a quality starter and then pray for someone to step up.

Whether through the early draft or FA, we must bring in someone who is ready to play this year, and push for a top three spot in the future. We could probably use more than one so that we can transition into Hines' impending retirement.

SidSmythe
03-31-2009, 02:49 PM

I tend to agree on Williams.
He has Percy Harvin ability, but Harvin is tough and knows how to play the game.
Williams has potential, but i question his toughness.

Oviedo
03-31-2009, 03:23 PM

I tend to agree on Williams.
He has Percy Harvin ability, but Harvin is tough and knows how to play the game.
Williams has potential, but i question his toughness.

Percy Harvin is "glass." The guy will spend more time in the training room than on the field. I've watched Florida every year and the guy just can't stay healthy.

Not sure how "fragile" has become a synonym for "tough"

I remember when a certain RB named Franco Harris was mocked for not being tough because he would run out of bounds. Playing smart doesn't make you any less "tough"

frankthetank1
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
i think the steelers should go with a stop gap fa at wr and draft mainly oline, dline and db's. they need to address the dline especially. they are a very old unit. i think eason is the youngest of dlineman and he is approching 30

Steel Life
04-01-2009, 12:37 AM
To get back to the topic for remaining Steeler-type FAs, I like...
- Curry or Drew Bennett at WR
- Brandon McGowan at FS
- Vonnie Holiday or Kevin Carter as 2nd String DL
- Charles Spencer as a OL/DL project...he couldn't have been a mirage at Pitt right?