PDA

View Full Version : In My NFL...

Discipline of Steel
03-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Lets play a game brothers. In this game we can fantasize about how the NFL would work if we were in charge. Anything goes...only rule is that each post has to start with the words...

In My NFL...players would be rewarded for knocking the snot out of an opposing team member. Players who force a stoppage of play by being slow to get up are declared ineligible for the rest of that possession. Players scoring a decleater or other spectacular hit receive bonuses on their next game check. Official stats are kept on such hits with NFL and team leaders highlighted in the same way as rushing, receiving, and interception leaders.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2009, 04:42 PM
In My NFL...the Pittsburgh Steelers have more Super Bowl victories than any other team.

Oh, wait. That's not just in my NFL. That is in everyone's NFL. :tt2 :tt1

MicroBioSteel
03-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I like this.

In my NFL....Rookies can only make 1 million in their first year and veterans can make a max of 5 million a year guarnateed. League min remains $300K. The remainder of the salary is incentive based and determined by the league on a position by position basis. Whatever pay matrix is worked out it should allow all positions to get paid nearly equivalent values. There should also be team bonuses such as money paid to the best defenses and offenses as a whole. These team bonuses come out of the NFL coffers not the particular team.

In my NFL....the QB has the same protections afforded to other players on the field and playing through the whistle is encouraged not penalized.

WoodleyofTroy
03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
In my NFL...

There would be no rules on what can be challenged for review or not.

Discipline of Steel
03-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I like this.

In my NFL....Rookies can only make 1 million in their first year and veterans can make a max of 5 million a year guarnateed. League min remains $300K. The remainder of the salary is incentive based and determined by the league on a position by position basis. Whatever pay matrix is worked out it should allow all positions to get paid nearly equivalent values. There should also be team bonuses such as money paid to the best defenses and offenses as a whole. These team bonuses come out of the NFL coffers not the particular team.

In my NFL....the QB has the same protections afforded to other players on the field and playing through the whistle is encouraged not penalized.

I like the rookie cap!

In my NFL...Stadiums will be named after franchise heroes and not sold as advertisments. Imagine everyone filing into Art Rooney Stadium for next years AFC Championship game.

MeetJoeGreene
03-29-2009, 08:57 AM
In my NFL, no one could weigh more than 300 pounds.

In my NFL, there would be a rookie salary cap.

In my NFL, Harrisburg would be part of the Steelers TV area, NOT the stinkin, latecomers Ravens.

Acero
03-29-2009, 09:51 AM
In my NFL... bye weeks would begin on the 5th week of the schedule and end on the 12th week. 8 weeks of byes, each week an entire division gets a bye; the following week, all the division teams play each other, that way there are no advantages for coming off a bye.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2009, 09:54 AM
In my NFL... bye weeks would begin on the 5th week of the schedule and end on the 12th week. 8 weeks of byes, each week an entire division gets a bye; the following week, all the division teams play each other, that way there are no advantages for coming off a bye.

Simple. Effective. Realistic. That should be implemented yesterday.

Herewegosteelers!
03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
In my NFL if someone within an organization is involved in just one felony arrest, they would be banned from the league for life.

In my NFL there would be a salary structure that goes by how many years you have been in the league and then incentives. The more you reach, the more you make. But no $10 mil a year contracts. We are in a recession after all. :wink:

Djfan
03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
In my NFL...

Underappreciated math teachers would get lifetime seats at Heinz for any game they want, including playoffs.

Knuckle heads like Chad Johnson would be gone.

ANPSTEEL
03-29-2009, 12:51 PM
In my NFL-

Goodell would not be the commissioner.

Spygate, the Patriots, Belichick / his staff, and the NFL, would all be subjected to a federal investigation. Screw em. If it was the entire league in co-hoots about the scam, then we deserve to know.

There would be full time refs.

Holding would be holding. None of this “maybe that is holding crap”- or that holding occurred during a critical play, thus is holding, or that holding did not stop the defensive player from forward progress- bull ****. Define it, and call it consistently.

In the spirit of economic expansion-

I don’t like the idea of an 18 game regular season- for all of the obvious reasons.

But if it is inevitable, which I think is the case-

I would do it like this-

3 pre season games- use two, in part, to tune up the regular players, and one as 100% evaluation.

18 game regular season, with each team getting 2 byes. The byes would occur in two phases.

Phase 1: weeks 2- 10. Phase 2: weeks 11 – 19. No team would get a bye on the 1st or last week of the season.

The playoff format would remain limited to 4 division winners and 2 wild card teams.
After the wild card round, teams would be reseeded by overall record.

Lastly,

In my NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers would have block numbers on their jerseys.

WoodleyofTroy
03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
In my NFL...

-There would be no TV timeouts.

-And Gus Johnson would do every Steelers game on CBS.

Ozey74
03-29-2009, 02:25 PM
In my NFL, all players that have police records would be recognized in a pregame ceremony at the 50 yrd line & their mug shots would be on the jumbo tron.

:tt2

Djfan
03-29-2009, 03:44 PM
In my NFL, all players that have police records would be recognized in a pregame ceremony at the 50 yrd line & their mug shots would be on the jumbo tron.

:tt2

Cinci would have to start games one hour early!

Wolfhound45
03-29-2009, 04:37 PM
In my NFL, we would give up these goofy division alignments that make no sense and develop regional divisions that would build some real rivalries. No concerns about local blackouts. If you don't sell your tickets to your fans, the opposing fans who live close to your city will take over your stadium.

Kind of like what Pittsburgh already does now. To the entire NFL.

buckeyehoppy
03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
In my NFL, no one could weigh more than 300 pounds.

In my NFL, there would be a rookie salary cap.

In my NFL-Goodell would not be the commissioner.

In my NFL-There would be full time refs.

Bingo on all counts:

A weight limit would allow for a much more athletic game and a much more athletic player. No more of these tubs of goo parading around as professional athletes. If you want to play in the NFL, you get to keep your weight under control for a more athletic and competitive game...and for the player's future and present overall health.

A rookie salary cap is already a proven success in the NBA and would work wonders in the NFL where some serious economic issues are looming in a questionable overall fiscal environment in this country.

Goodell has proven that he operates with a wet noodle for a spine and is merely a tool for the owners and not, as it should be, the other way around where the commissioner is dictating the terms of how the league operates.

Full time refs, considering the nature of the game today with how the economics of the sport work and how the speed of the game seems to be increasing all the time, is an idea that should have been instituted with the salary cap. Considering the age and condition of many current NFL referees, it is well past time that all NFL field officials be annually evaluated and be able to pass a full physical (which is something that might already be required anyway, but it doesn't hurt to suggest this point).

Also, to add:

In my NFL, all review determinations would be made off-site by a review official in the league office who would have 90 seconds to determine the outcome of a review or challenge. The NHL has a similar review policy and it is as close to being entirely accurate as any review process in any sport. Having a review official specifically assigned to each game off-site (and away from the BS in the stands) is a very logical solution to any issues with the review system.

In my NFL, we will have an 18 game regular season so long as: 1) each team gets TWO bye weeks and teams with a bye week will play another team with a bye week the following week. And, 2) the preseason consists of only two games. If we are adding to the regular season, it will come at the expense of scheduled preseason games. If teams need more methods for evaluation, controlled scrimmages can be used at training camp sites as scrimmages are often a more useful tool for player evaluation in a specific situation than a live game where a preferred situation for evaluation may or may not occur.

stlrz d
03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
I've avoided this thread largely because I figured there would be some pretty unrealistic stuff in here. Some of it is meant to be funny and that's quite alright, but some of the stuff that's meant to be serious...*shakes head*.

--Players too slow to get up? This is a violent game. That happens on nearly every play. Jim Brown used to do it on purpose so the opposition wouldn't know when they really had hurt him.

--Same protection for QBs as other players? The only players as vulnerable as the QB is the punter. It makes no sense not to give a bit of extra protection to a player who touches the ball on every offensive play. A players who's presence (or lack thereof) can make or break your team's season. I understand some protections go overboard, but to say they shouldn't have any extra protection is foolish at best.

--No rules for what can be challenged? Nearly every game would last 5-6 hours. No thanks.

--No corporate names of stadiums??? Then new stadiums would never be built. Corporate sponsorships pay for new stadiums. Ask some of the Steelers who have played in both TRS and Heinz where they would rather play. I doubt you would get one nod to TRS.

--Felony = ban? Should it be that way for all occupations?

--Full time officials??? They are full time during the season. There is absolutely not enough to keep them busy during the off season. Plus 6 more months of salary for all those officials would have to be paid for somehow. Guess how they would do that?

--No TV timeouts? Your NFL would go broke before a single player set foot on a practice field.

--Gus Johnson??? That one is meant to be funny, right? Gus Johnson makes Kevin Harlan sound like a guy who lost his voice to throat cancer 30 years ago. If I want to be screamed at I'll piss some woman off. Why would I want to listen to Gus Johnson screaming at me for 3 hours. Oops, wait...make that 5-6 hours since you want every call to be challengeable.

Djfan
03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I guess D likes my idea about math teachers!

Discipline of Steel
03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Heres on for you StlrzD:

In my NFL, the Bengals uniforms have alternating red and white vertical 'bars', the Ravens purple and white, and the Browns unis are white with brown stains on them.

buckeyehoppy
03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Another one:

In my NFL, there would be no bullschitt draft compensation for lost UFAs. Instead, if a team loses a UFA with at least 6 years in the league for the same team, the team losing the player would be granted salary cap relief equal to the value for that player for the length of his deal. That way, if a team develops a player and he chooses to bolt, the team would be rewarded for effective drafting by receiving cap relief. It would enable teams who use the draft properly to use the cap relief they receive to sign FAs of need or re-sign potential UFAs from their own team so that they aren't losing players in FA every year.

stlrz d
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Yours was quite obviously meant as humor. :D

In the spirit of the thread, there would be no more IR. It would be a disabled list instead. When a guy's ready to come back he can come back but you have to clear a roster spot for him.

buckeyehoppy
03-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Yours was quite obviously meant as humor. :D

In the spirit of the thread, there would be no more IR. It would be a disabled list instead. When a guy's ready to come back he can come back but you have to clear a roster spot for him.

Yet another good point. Granted, you'd have to have a time span...say, 2 games. Baseball has a 15-day DL which is just short of 10% of the season. A 2-game DL is just slightly over 10% of the NFL season, so that seems appropriate.

Also, K, P, and LS would be a special consideration on a DL and be allowed unlimited 1-game stays on the DL. Other players should only be allowed two 2-game DLs per year. If it's a more serious injury, make it an 8-game DL.

You may also only have as many players on a DL than you would carry on a practice squad. If you have eight players on the PS, you can have up to eight on the DL.

WoodleyofTroy
03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
--Gus Johnson??? That one is meant to be funny, right? Gus Johnson makes Kevin Harlan sound like a guy who lost his voice to throat cancer 30 years ago. If I want to be screamed at I'll piss some woman off. Why would I want to listen to Gus Johnson screaming at me for 3 hours. Oops, wait...make that 5-6 hours since you want every call to be challengeable.

I was watching the replay of the Patriots and Rams Super Bowl with Pat Summerall and John Madden doing the commentating. Patriots drove down that field in a matter of seconds, putting Vinatieri in field goal position to win the game. The Kick goes up, it's good, Patriots shock the world, and with Pat Summerall's tone, it could of been mistaken for a CBS Golf match. I nearly fell asleep.

It could be the first play of the game, a pass goes for 4 yards, and Gus Johnson lets you know about it. That's my preference.

As for the challenge. I was referring to not being able to throw a flag because the whistle was blown. How the hell does that mean 5 hours of football?

stlrz d
03-30-2009, 12:34 PM

I was watching the replay of the Patriots and Rams Super Bowl with Pat Summerall and John Madden doing the commentating. Patriots drove down that field in a matter of seconds, putting Vinatieri in field goal position to win the game. The Kick goes up, it's good, Patriots shock the world, and with Pat Summerall's tone, it could of been mistaken for a CBS Golf match. I nearly fell asleep.

It could be the first play of the game, a pass goes for 4 yards, and Gus Johnson lets you know about it. That's my preference.

As for the challenge. I was referring to not being able to throw a flag because the whistle was blown. How the hell does that mean 5 hours of football?

Pat may have been subdued at a moment when he could have been more animated, but Gus Johnson is the uber extreme opposite. He screams about every little play, no matter how insignificant. It's utterly ridiculous. No one needs that. I know when to get excited. I don't need a cheerleader in the booth screaming about a 1 yard gain on first and 10. He wouldn't be a bad announcer if he didn't scream about EVERYTHING.

Whenever he's assigned a Steelers game I wish I lived in the Burgh so I could turn down the volume and put on the radio. I'd purposely watch the game via TiVo so I could sync up the TV broadcast to match the call on the radio.

As for your challenge comment, you said, "there would be no rules as to what can be challenged" but didn't clarify beyond that, until now. So as you originally posted, it was easily interpreted as coaches being able to challenge everything. That would mean 5-6 hour games...if not longer.

MeetJoeGreene
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
In my NFL celebrations would not be banned - they would be encouraged and even promoted. And not just for touchdowns or splash plays. EVERY play deserves a show. After every play, a portable stage will be wheeled onto the field. The player that made the play (e.g. a tackle for a loss OR the runner that got a first down) would be given 30 seconds to perform his routine. On certain plays multiple performers would be allowed to allow for situations for multiple or combined heroic efforts and to enable Ray Lewis to have a specialized celebration for arriving 1.5 seconds after the tackle an piling on.

WoodleyofTroy
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Pat may have been subdued at a moment when he could have been more animated, but Gus Johnson is the uber extreme opposite. He screams about every little play, no matter how insignificant. It's utterly ridiculous. No one needs that. I know when to get excited. I don't need a cheerleader in the booth screaming about a 1 yard gain on first and 10. He wouldn't be a bad announcer if he didn't scream about EVERYTHING.

Whenever he's assigned a Steelers game I wish I lived in the Burgh so I could turn down the volume and put on the radio. I'd purposely watch the game via TiVo so I could sync up the TV broadcast to match the call on the radio.

As for your challenge comment, you said, "there would be no rules as to what can be challenged" but didn't clarify beyond that, until now. So as you originally posted, it was easily interpreted as coaches being able to challenge everything. That would mean 5-6 hour games...if not longer.

Understandable. Everyone has their preference. I just think he's entertaining, and I enjoy it. Not that a Steelers fan should need any more game time excitment filled anxiety as it is. :tt2

Challenge everything? As in holding or penalties altogether? Come on man. At least give me the benefit of the doubt here before destroying my "In my NFL".....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Didn't it work that way the first few years of byes? I don't remember if they all played each other the next week, but I do remember divisions having bye weeks together.

Very good rule!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
In my NFL Dallas and Detroit would not automatically be granted Thanksgiving day games. IMO this is one of the biggest reason for the Cowboys very large yet fairweather fanbase. All the once a year casual watchers who tune in when they visit Uncle Joe during the holidays watch Dallas every year. They know very little about football, but become instant geniuses when the Cowboys finally make the playoffs and even *gasp* win a playoff game.

stlrz d
03-31-2009, 10:40 AM

Understandable. Everyone has their preference. I just think he's entertaining, and I enjoy it. Not that a Steelers fan should need any more game time excitment filled anxiety as it is. :tt2

Challenge everything? As in holding or penalties altogether? Come on man. At least give me the benefit of the doubt here before destroying my "In my NFL".....

Sorry man. When you typed "no rules on what can be challenged" I took it literally since there was no clarification of that. :twisted:

MeetJoeGreene
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
In my NFL, teams shall not make themselves a graven image bearing a likeness to a Terrible Towel.

In my NFL teams would be alllowed to have 4 special teams players of type kicker, punter, and long snapper that would not count against the active day roster. If they used less, they could add those positions to the active roster.

Lonbull
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
In my NFL all regular season games would be played in the U.S. - (or at someone's home field - should Toronto enherit the Bills) instead of the obligatory 1 game in England or 1 game in Mexico. Personally I find it disrespectful to the home teams fans.

In my NFL there would be a minor league system that works.

In my NFL certain college players who desperately need the money for their family but are very young or not really quite ready to play in the NFL could participate in this minor league system - hence they would be able to get paid for their services, but also protect themselves from playing too soon against NFL caliber players.

In my NFL the Super Bowl halftime show would be the best College marching band in the country (as selected by the NFL or NCAA) and the College would receive a significant payment from the NFL. This weird pagentry surrounding some elder rock star on stage for a spliced 10-15 minute set - is just bizarre to me.

In my NFL there would be a new Cap Tag - that I'll call the Hall of Fame Tag. This "tag" would enable teams to keep players past a certain age or (past a number of years they've played with an organization) for more money than would count against the Cap.

For instance since Hines Ward was drafted by the Steelers and has played his entire career with the Steelers we could sign him for $1 million a year, but only 50% of it would count against our cap - or something along those lines. The idea is that if a team can't really pay fair market value for a player that has served them so well over the years - this gives them an extra opportunity (and reason) to keep them. The idea is that we don't see Emmitt Smith finishing in Arizona, Jerry Rice finishing in Denver, Brett Favre finishing in New York.

In my NFL the Pro Bowl would be a special charity event done every year - that both the players and the NFL would foot the bill for. For example next year's Pro Bowl will be played for only the Veterns of our country - and they may not even actually "play" football - it may simply be about sending the NFL's best out to sign autographs and shake hands with people who just want to be close to the game they love.

In my NFL Ownership of a team could be stripped away more easily.

L.B.

Discipline of Steel
04-01-2009, 08:45 PM
So far, the best ideas I have seen on this thread have been the rookie salary cap and the divisional bye weeks....and of course rewards not penalties for big hits. I also like Lonbulls idea to keep top NFL players on the same team for their entire careers. But in sticking with todays issues...

In my NFL, Roger Goodell would not be allowed to change the current schedule format to 18 games. He is diluting the game from the way we love it in order to squeeze two more games worth of $$$ out of the fans. True fans like us see through this.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
So far, the best ideas I have seen on this thread have been the rookie salary cap and the divisional bye weeks....and of course rewards not penalties for big hits. I also like Lonbulls idea to keep top NFL players on the same team for their entire careers. But in sticking with todays issues...

In my NFL, Roger Goodell would not be allowed to change the current schedule format to 18 games. He is diluting the game from the way we love it in order to squeeze two more games worth of $$$ out of the fans. True fans like us see through this.

I'm not sure how the 18 game plan is aimed at squeezing more $$$ out of the fans. The plan is to go from 4 pre and 16 reg to 3 pre and 17 reg or 2 pre and 18 reg, but either way the plan would call for the total number of games to remain at 20. Since they already charge the same price for preseason games as regular season games (ridiculous) and force season ticket holder to buy those preseason games at full price every year, I don't see where the $$$ squeeze is.

papillon
04-01-2009, 10:37 PM

I'm not sure how the 18 game plan is aimed at squeezing more $$$ out of the fans. The plan is to go from 4 pre and 16 reg to 3 pre and 17 reg or 2 pre and 18 reg, but either way the plan would call for the total number of games to remain at 20. Since they already charge the same price for preseason games as regular season games (ridiculous) and force season ticket holder to buy those preseason games at full price every year, I don't see where the $$$ squeeze is.

What about TV revenue for regular season games as ooposed to pre-season games? Wouldn't the broadcast rights be increased due to the extra "real" games?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2009, 10:42 PM

What about TV revenue for regular season games as ooposed to pre-season games? Wouldn't the broadcast rights be increased due to the extra "real" games?

Pappy

But that is not squeezing $$$ out of the fans. We are paying the same for preseason games as regular season games regardless. I'm sure that the broadcast rights fees will increase if the number of regular season games increases, and the players union will make sure that their contracts increase by the same percentage if they were to agree to add more regular season games that the starters would play in their entirity (as opposed to only a quarter or so of a preseason game)

pfelix73
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Yea well...

In my NFL.... When I go to a game after spending a small fortune for a ticket, I get to drink a few beers for free and maybe even a Kibasee......

:tt1

Discipline of Steel
04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Yea well...

In my NFL.... When I go to a game after spending a small fortune for a ticket, I get to drink a few beers for free and maybe even a Kibasee......

:tt1

Free beer is not too much to ask! Not in my NFL. But seriously, I was going with the assumption that a regular season game must certainly have more general monetary value to the owners than a preseason game. I wasnt aware that the preseason tix were forced at full price though. Still, the stands must be less full in at least some venues...