PDA

View Full Version : What in the name of Sam Hill?

Discipline of Steel
03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Come on, you know you guys want him on our squad. The much sought after, but rarely found, dominant NT is right under our noses at Stillman College. Problem is, he is creeping up the boards. Which round do we take him just to be sure we get our guy?

http://www.steelersgab.com/2009/03/25/s ... -lee-hill/ (http://www.steelersgab.com/2009/03/25/steelers-to-meet-w-stillman-defensive-tackle-sammie-lee-hill/)

Steelers to Meet w/ Stillman Defensive Tackle Sammie Lee Hill
Here is National Football Posts Scouting report on Hill:

Rumors of college players visiting the Steelers continues, and with the defensive line being a position the team wants to upgrade, the club is going to talk to Sammie Lee Hill, a player that is pretty much unknown out of Stillman College. Below is the news on Hill talking to a number of teams like the Steelers from PFT.com.

Little-known Sammie Lee Hill, a defensive tackle from Stillman College, quietly is getting noticed as the draft approaches.

A league source tells us that Hill, who some think could be picked as high as round two, has scheduled visits with the Jets, Eagles, Buccaneers, Chargers, and Steelers.

He also has met with the Patriots, Rams, and Chiefs.

At 6'4" and 329 pounds, Hill has the size to play tackle in either the 4-3 or the 3-4 defensive alignments.

The Good: A massive interior lineman who carries his weight well. Is an ideal nose tackle at the next level. Displays a rare blend of athleticism and quickness for his size. Possesses long arms and a devastating punch on contact. Eats up blockers inside, pushes the pocket and can control the double-team. Even lined up outside at times at Stillman and displays natural footwork and good burst out of his stance. An intriguing athlete who has a lot of upside at the next level.

The Bad: Absolutely dominated his level of competition and will need to adjust quickly to the NFL game. Still very raw and needs to learn to use his hands better. Gets too high off the snap and has some bad habits. Has never had much high-level coaching.

Jooser
03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd342/theygaveusarepublic/Yosemite-Sam-1.jpg

What'n the Sam Hill's a goin' on here!

WoodleyofTroy
03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
We never get these guys. The Kendall Langford's from Hampton and Bryan Smith's from McNeese State that get passed around on Steelers message boards as fan favorite sleepers.

TallyStiller
03-27-2009, 10:59 PM
We never get these guys. The Kendall Langford's from Hampton and Bryan Smith's from McNeese State that get passed around on Steelers message boards as fan favorite sleepers.

One of the keys to Steeler success is the fact that we draft very well on the first day. I don't think we've had an honest to God bust R1 since Troy Edwards in '97... and a big part of that success has been due to a philosophy of grabbing big time players from power conference teams who have had the top notch coaching and competition throughout their college careers. Timmons, Holmes, Miller, Polamalu, Simmons (OK, maybe he doesn't prove my point), Hampton, Burress, Faneca

Playing cute with the "sleepers" has brought us such gems as Ricardo Colclough, Jamain Stephens, Aaron Jones... and going back a little farther, helped bring down the '70's dynasty when we failed to restock the roster. This is a franchise that has learned. Better a 90% chance at a very good player than a 50/50 shot at superstar/bust in this crapshoot.

SidSmythe
03-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Rounds 1, 2 & 3 are for the real deals!!

Save the sleepers and projects for 4th round and beyond.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2009, 11:13 AM
In my first mock, I took him in round 4. In my second mock, I moved him up to round 3. That's as high as I am willing to go. Perhaps if they wanted to trade up a bit in round 3 to make sure that they get him if they really want him, I wouldn't have a major problem, but I wouldn't go so far as to use our 64th overall in the second round on a guy from Stillman College.

WoodleyofTroy
03-28-2009, 11:54 AM
To me, there is a difference between small school guys and sleepers. DeMarcus Ware went to Troy (small school), but he wasn't a sleeper. D-Rodgers Cromartie went to Tennessee State, but he wasn't a sleeper. They weren't boom or busts, they were finished products, eventhough some begged to differ only because their competition on the College level.

I was just being sarcastic about Hill, saying like Langford and Smith, we never get "our" guys, referring to what we talk about on here, oppose to actually drafting guys from small schools, in which I have absolutely no problem with.

Discipline of Steel
03-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Mack, Gilbert, and Hill would be a nice 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds. I would feel as though we have our trenches fairly well restocked. Will Mickens last to the end of the 4th?

WoodleyofTroy
03-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Will Mickens last to the end of the 4th?

Doubtful. But thanks for reminding me of not getting that 3rd round comp though lol.

RuthlessBurgher
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Mack, Gilbert, and Hill would be a nice 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds. I would feel as though we have our trenches fairly well restocked. Will Mickens last to the end of the 4th?

That would be an awesome first 3 picks. I doubt Mickens would last to the 4th, but you may be able to get Joe Burnett in round 4. Or perhaps someone like Jason Phillips or Jasper Brinkley in the 4th, followed by Mickens' CB teammate DeAngelo Smith in the 5th.

Oviedo
03-28-2009, 05:06 PM

That would be an excellent first three picks, but you are taking a risk with Hill because he has a huge step up in competition. A surer NT bet may be Dorrell Scott, Terence Taylor or Roy Miller. There is a lot to be said about guys who play in the power conferences and their ability to translate that at the next level.

Add Burnett at the end of Round 4.