PDA

View Full Version : Marvel to SF?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-27-2009, 01:41 PM
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/200 ... at-up.html (http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/03/49ers-talks-with-marvel-smith-heat-up.html)

Talks are heating up between the 49ers and free-agent offensive tackle Marvel Smith, as both sides are getting more excited about the possibilities of a contract agreement.

Smith visited the 49ers last week and underwent a medical examination. Smith (6-foot-5, 321 pounds) has played in just 17 games the past two seasons because of a lower-back problem. The examination did not reveal any surprises, according to a source close to the situation.

The 49ers want Smith, and it appears Smith wants to return to the Bay Area to play for the 49eres. Stay tuned, something could happen in the next couple days. He would be penciled in as the team's starting right tackle, a spot at which he started his first three NFL seasons with the Steelers. Smith was selected to the AFC Pro Bowl team at left tackle in 2005.

Joe Staley, a two-year vet coming off his first season at left tackle, looks pretty solid. But the 49ers need help at right tackles. The club started three different players there in 2008: Jonas Jennings, Barry Sims and Adam Snyder. Jennings has been told he does not fit into the team's future, while, the 49ers believe Sims and Snyder are better-suited as backups.

Smith, who turns 31 during training camp, is an Oakland native who attended Skyline High. He was the No. 38 overall pick in the 2000 draft from Arizona State.

SteelerNation1
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
This would be good news for us. I hope he signs a relatively lucrative deal. Then maybe Gaydell can rob us of some comp picks next yr. again.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
This would be good news for us. I hope he signs a relatively lucrative deal. Then maybe Gaydell can rob us of some comp picks next yr. again.

Marvel has nine years in the league, not the same ten years that cost us in the Faneca signing. Marvel will sign a 10 year $100M contract and we will get a seventh rounder I'm guessing. :lol: :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't see how we get ANY comp pick for Marvel.

calmkiller
03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
PFT

49ers Strike Deal With Marvel Smith
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 27, 2009, 5:12 p.m.

The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to a two-year contract with former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle Marvel Smith, according to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee.

A 2004 Pro Bowl selection, Smith is an Oakland native who missed a lot of action over the past few seasons in Pittsburgh due to recurring lower-back problems.

The deal is reportedly incentive-laden, offering protection to the team financially in case Smith has more injury issues. Smith is expected to sign the deal soon and report to the offseason conditioning program and minicamps.

I am blessed with the opportunity the Niners have given me to come back home and play, Smith said.

The 49ers cut offensive tackle bust Jonas Jennings earlier today.

TallyStiller
03-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Wish him nothing but the best.

SteelCrazy
03-27-2009, 11:17 PM
You are right. We get nothing for an unrestricted free agent.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-28-2009, 12:54 AM
You are right. We get nothing for an unrestricted free agent.

Bradshaw was talking about next year when the comp picks come out for FAs lost this year.

rpmpit
03-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Agreed!!

buckeyehoppy
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Agreed!!

Third the motion!...and thank you Marvel!

Comp pick? We ain't gettin' Jack Schitt for Marvel!