PDA

View Full Version : Roy Miller--future NT

Lebsteel
03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
OK, it is kind of slow on this board today, so I just noticed Texas had their Pro Day today. Roy Miller ran a 4.93 and a 4.94 40 at 6'1 5/8" 312 lbs. That is impressive. He also did 36 reps in the BP at the combine. I think he may well be someone we look at as a Rd. 3 or 4 pick to be our future NT. I also noticed, by the way, that Ron Brace posted a 5.55 40 time and was the slowest DL at the combine. Old news, I know, but if he is that slow, I'd rather have someone that can move a little faster, like Miller. Though a case could be made for a 335 lb. mountain like Brace clogging the middle and taking on a double team....I just think we could get far more value taking someone like Miller or Sammie Hill in the middle rounds.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/roy-miller?id=79611

I also saw on the NFL.com website that William Beatty, OT from UConn had an impressive pro day showing great footwork and speed, however, they said he probably needs more time in the weight room. I still favor an NFL-ready lineman like Mack, but if Mack is gone, Beatty might prove to be well worth the pick.

Oviedo
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Miller would be a good mid round pick up as would Terrence Thomas from Michigan.

Hampton isn't getting younger or in better condition. He will be too fat and too expensive soon. Not a good combination for someone who has become a two down player.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Miller would be a good mid round pick up as would Terrence Thomas from Michigan.

Hampton isn't getting younger or in better condition. He will be too fat and too expensive soon. Not a good combination for someone who has become a two down player.

O, I hate seeing how guys like Hampton keep getting labeled as "two down players". In our D, many of our productive starters don't play in third and mid-to-long situations. Then again, it is because of their contributions that we face so many third and longs. Our DPOY comes out on third downs, so do guys like Foote and Woodley. However, we can't ignore the great job that they do on first and second down that lead them to coming out on third.

That being said, Casey is getting fat and expensive. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Miller would be a great 2nd day pick-up. I would put him in the Top 5 true 3-4 NT. If the Steelers miss on Hill, Miller would be a good fit.

steelblood
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
He isn't real big. I wonder how much more bulk his body could hold and still maintain his athleticism.

pfelix73
03-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Ron Brace is my pick at 32. The best 3-4 NG in this year's draft. IMO.

ikestops85
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM

O, I hate seeing how guys like Hampton keep getting labeled as "two down players". In our D, many of our productive starters don't play in third and mid-to-long situations. Then again, it is because of their contributions that we face so many third and longs. Our DPOY comes out on third downs, so do guys like Foote and Woodley. However, we can't ignore the great job that they do on first and second down that lead them to coming out on third.

That being said, Casey is getting fat and expensive. :wink:

Uh, I don't think so. It will be a cold day in hell when Harrison comes out on any down let alone 3rd. I don't think you will find them taking Woodley out on many downs either.

frankthetank1
03-31-2009, 05:13 PM

i agree. he would be a great pick for the steelers. if they either get brace or mack by some slim chance i would be very happy

AkronSteel
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Miller or Terrance Taylor would be awesome! I would much rather have a CB or O-lineman in the first round as opposed to a NT.

As far as Harrison coming out on third down......no way!!! He and Wood move to DE in the dime and sometimes they are lined up on the same side. I don't remember one third down last year when this wasn't the case except for when Wood was out for the Indy game.

pfelix73
03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
I have Ron Brace rated higher on my chart than I do Alex Mack. But, close. If not almost equal, but just one spot higher.

Now, CB, that's a different story. If Smith is there at 32..... well then Smith I have 1 spot higher than Brace..... based on BPA..... tough decision.

:tt1

steelblood
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM

i agree. he would be a great pick for the steelers. if they either get brace or mack by some slim chance i would be very happy

Brace has very limited athleticism and back problems - neither are good for a NT. Casey, Ngata, or Jamaal Williams are not only big and strong, but very good athletes (for their size) as well. Balance and athleticism are huge keys to success for a NT. I don't hate Brace; I just don't see him as a sure thing either.

pfelix73
04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Totally disagree... Not an athlete? Look, all these guys are athletes......I get a jolt when people say they aren't 'athletes'.

This guy is not only an athlete, but he has everything you want in a football player 'off the field' too. He's smart, stays out of trouble, and an all-around nice human being. He's a lot like William Beatty in that regard.

Oviedo
04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
The problem you have is that all the other non-Brace candidates for NT would have to add at least 20lbs. No one is sure how additional weight will hurt Miller, Taylor, Dorrell Scott or any of the other option both in terms of athletic performance and health.

At least with Taylor we know he played heavier as a junior and actually had a better season.

I think there will be a run on these NT candidates starting in Round 3. With 11-12 teams now playing the 3-4 and needing both a starter and depth at NT these are going to be much sought after players and will probably inflate their draft spots one or two rounds. Brace is probably a Round 2 or 3 guy except that supply and demand is pushing him up the charts to late Round 1 or early Round 2.

Where is the rumor that Brace has back problems coming from? I have read a dozen different sources and not one has red flagged his back. I suspect someone may be trying to create an issue to "sell" their own mock draft. Pretty silly since all our mocks are really meaningless.

SteelCzar76
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
As it was mentioned earlier in this thread,..my only concern with Miller would be his weight. (or lack thereof) But then again,... perhaps his strength (32 reps at 225) and his exceptional motor and work ethic would be enough to offset his lack 3-4 NT "bulk" ?

Regardless,...the kid has tremendous character and with a little more work in terms of technique i think he very well could be a starter at league level. (Quite possibly for us)

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
The problem you have is that all the other non-Brace candidates for NT would have to add at least 20lbs. No one is sure how additional weight will hurt Miller, Taylor, Dorrell Scott or any of the other option both in terms of athletic performance and health.

At least with Taylor we know he played heavier as a junior and actually had a better season.

I think there will be a run on these NT candidates starting in Round 3. With 11-12 teams now playing the 3-4 and needing both a starter and depth at NT these are going to be much sought after players and will probably inflate their draft spots one or two rounds. Brace is probably a Round 2 or 3 guy except that supply and demand is pushing him up the charts to late Round 1 or early Round 2.

Where is the rumor that Brace has back problems coming from? I have read a dozen different sources and not one has red flagged his back. I suspect someone may be trying to create an issue to "sell" their own mock draft. Pretty silly since all our mocks are really meaningless.

Sammie Lee Hill is already 329 lbs. (although he is 3 inches taller than Hampton at 6' 4", so that weight is spread out a bit more over a larger frame).

Oviedo
04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Sammie Lee Hill is already 329 lbs. (although he is 3 inches taller than Hampton at 6' 4", so that weight is spread out a bit more over a larger frame).

I'm really torn on Hill. He has the physical attributes but the level of competition is way below a lot of the other guys. I just keep thinking about the "Coclough nightmare" where we see all the physical attributes but it can't translate.

pfelix73
04-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Just curious- can the same be said about that Gilbert guy? He seems to be rising up the charts pretty fast......

Oviedo
04-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Just curious- can the same be said about that Gilbert guy? He seems to be rising up the charts pretty fast......

I think Gilbert played at a higher level of competition than Hill. The WAC is much more competitive than the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and Gilbert played against legitimate NFL prospects.

There is a lot to be said about focusing on proven players from power conferences. Sure you will miss out on some real diamonds in the rough and folks will be fixated on that but I think over the long haul the odds would work out in your favor.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM

I think Gilbert played at a higher level of competition than Hill. The WAC is much more competitive than the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and Gilbert played against legitimate NFL prospects.

There is a lot to be said about focusing on proven players from power conferences. Sure you will miss out on some real diamonds in the rough and folks will be fixated on that but I think over the long haul the odds would work out in your favor.

I agree with taking proven players from power conferences rounds 1 and 2 (this would have prevented the Jamain Stephens North Carolina A&T first round bust and the Ricardo Colclough Tusculum second round trade-up bust from happening), but beyond that, I think you can take some shots with some small school prospects (or else you wouldn't have guys like Ike Taylor in round 4 from Louisiana-Lafayette, Aaron Smith in round 4 from Northern Colorado, or even Greg Lloyd in round 6 from Fort Valley State). Therefore, I think the risk of taking a guy from Division II Stillman is worth it in round 3 (but no division II guys on day one).

I would also be interested in Gilbert from San Jose St. (a Division I WAC school) in round 2. Although both Gilbert and Hill may require some adjustment to the NFL, they would not be brought in as starters, since we still have Smith, Hampton, and Keisel. They would just provide some youthful back-ups (since all of our starters and back-ups on the d-line are over 30 except for Eason who is 29) to rotate in occassionally in certain situations. Within a year or two, they should have adjusted to the point where they can compete for regular time in the defense.

steelblood
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM

The Ron Brace back injury is not a rumor. It is more like common knowledge. It is a little funny that you've spent so much time touting the guy and have no idea that he struggled with a recurring back problem throughout much of last season. The injury caused him to miss training and practice time before the season. He then tweaked it in the September 6th game against Georgia Tech (http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ss ... e%20Sports (http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/09/ron_brace_of_springfield_ready.html?category=Colle ge%20Sports)). It continued to cause him problems throughout out the season (From a November BC injury report in the Boston Herald: "Ron Brace, who’s been battling a back issue all season, did not practice again today, but Jagodzinski termed him as probable…." http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/oncampus/?p=49). As we've seen many times before with lineman, back problems usually flare up again and often become chronic.

Pro Football Weekly contends that Brace carries an inordinate amount of weight in his stomach, and therefore there is concern that he'll always have back problems.

Here are a few more references to his back problems...

Check out the "Negatives" section of ...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/502309

Check out the end of the "Overall" section ...http://warroomreport.com/index.php?opti ... 3&Itemid=1 (http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=1)