PDA

View Full Version : Owners approve change to draft order for playoff teams

stlrz d
03-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Beginning in 2010.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/footb ... passe.html (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2009/03/reseeding_of_draft_picks_passe.html)

Re-seeding of draft picks passes muster among owners

NFL owners today approved a measure that, starting in 2010, will adjust the draft order based on playoff results. Up to now, the teams have drafted 1-30 based solely on regular season records. But starting next year, the teams will be re-seeded based on playoff results.

The losers of the wild card games will be seeded 21st through 24th based on their regular season records. The losers in the divisional rounds will be seeded 25th through 28th based on their regular season records. And teams eliminated in the conference championship games will be seeded 29th and 30th.

I like the plan. It avoids a situation like this year, which has the Chargers, who finished 8-8 to win the AFC West, drafting 16th overall. This despite the fact they beat the Colts in the playoffs. Indianapolis, which finished 12-4, will draft 27th this year.

Discipline of Steel
03-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I think they should factor in strength of schedule also and make the changes effective this year. Oh wait, the Steelers cant draft any lower than #32!

Lonbull
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I think they should factor in strength of schedule also and make the changes effective this year. Oh wait, the Steelers cant draft any lower than #32!

Bite your tongue - in today's NFL it wouldn't surprise me if they came out with some quirky rule for a team that has won the most Super Bowls to be penalized a first round pick from time to time.

L.B.

MeetJoeGreene
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM

Bite your tongue - in today's NFL it wouldn't surprise me if they came out with some quirky rule for a team that has won the most Super Bowls to be penalized a first round pick from time to time.

L.B.

Unless their initials are New England.

Come to think of it, this rule would have benefited the Pats this year - any connection??? hmmmm..