PDA

View Full Version : Oviedo's Third Mock

Oviedo
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Here is the definitive answer :wink:

1.32 (32): Max Unger, OL, 6’5” 309lbs, Oregon. I think Unger’s versatility wins out and by many accounts he will be a solid center.

2.32 (64): Kraig Urbik, OL, 6’5” 330lbs, Wisconsin. Mauler for the inside. IMO will turn out to be the best OG in this class.

3.32 (96): Terrence Taylor, DT, 6’, 310lbs, Michigan. Casey isn’t getting younger or better conditioned. After the 2009 season he will be both too fat and too expensive.

4.32(132): Jason Phillips, ILB, 6’1”, 240lbs, TCU. Need someone to replace the “Great” Farrior. Will immediately contribute on ST.

5.32(168): Joe Burnett, CB, 5’9”, 190lbs., UCF. Can play both CB and safety and will help immediately on returns.

5.33(169): Austin Collie, WR, 6’1”, 200lbs, BYU. Solid possession receiver for Hines to groom.

6.32(205): Zach Potter, DE, 6’7”, 280lbs, Nebraska. Protégé for Aaron Smith to teach. Prototypical size for the Labeau version of the 3-4.

7.17(226): Ryan Stanchek, OT, 6’4”, 301lbs, WVU. Depth to develop on the OL.

7.32(241): Frank Summers, 5’10”, 230lbs, RB, UNLV. Power runner to push Carey Davis off the roster.

steelblood
03-25-2009, 03:56 PM
After round one, I like this draft very much.

I think you are right that the Steelers would value Unger's versatility. However, from the little I've seen of him, I can't help but feel that he'll be exposed as soft (not stout or good at anchoring) in the NFL.

Love Urbik, Burnett, Collie, Summers, Potter, etc. Nice mix of players. Good character guys. I think one or two of the mid-round and late round guys will end up starters. And if we can get 4 starters out of this draft (considering our position -32-), that would be fantastic.

Jom112
03-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree with you about Urbik. Jason Phillips I really like a lot as well.

A couple of things I would change:

1. Although I like Terrance Taylor, if you're going to take a DT in the 3rd you might want to take Chris Baker or Sammie Lee Hill instead. If you were waiting for the 4th or 5th round then Taylor would be the pick.

2. Waiting until the end of the 5th for Joe Burnett probably won't work out. 4th round to early 5th round, is probably where he will go.

3. Unger, meh...

Oviedo
03-25-2009, 04:09 PM

I think you are right that the Steelers would value Unger's versatility. However, from the little I've seen of him, I can't help but feel that he'll be exposed as soft (not stout or good at anchoring) in the NFL.

Love Urbik, Burnett, Collie, Summers, Potter, etc. Nice mix of players. Good character guys. I think one or two of the mid-round and late round guys will end up starters. And if we can get 4 starters out of this draft (considering our position -32-), that would be fantastic.

I think Unger will turn out to be solid. I've read several accounts that he may be the best center in this class for a zone blocking offense.

Oviedo
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM

1. Although I like Terrance Taylor, if you're going to take a DT in the 3rd you might want to take Chris Baker or Sammie Lee Hill instead. If you were waiting for the 4th or 5th round then Taylor would be the pick.

2. Waiting until the end of the 5th for Joe Burnett probably won't work out. 4th round to early 5th round, is probably where he will go.

3. Unger, meh...

I think Taylor is more of a sure thing Hill. Given Baker's history at Penn State the Steelers won't touch him. He has character issues that the Bumgals covet :wink:

Burnett is one of my favorite players in this draft and I was very hesitant to put him late 5th but I would be OK to trade up in that round to make sure we get him. I've seen him play and he is good in so many facets of the game.

mshifko
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
i don't like the idea of taking OL with our first pick...i think if we draft lineman, it should be defensive lineman in the first round/we can also go with a CB with that first round pick...after that i honestly think we can find quality OL in the 2nd-3rd round...i think first round we have to go BPA, if that's an OL then so be it...the good DT, which position we need to address on defensively first and foremost because hamp isn't getting younger, he's still a great player, but we can groom a quality DT now...

we don't have any glaring holes IMO...fill some holes/future replacements, yes...but no holes which is a good thing...

Jom112
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM

3. Unger, meh...

I think Taylor is more of a sure thing Hill. Given Baker's history at Penn State the Steelers won't touch him. He has character issues that the Bumgals covet :wink:

Burnett is one of my favorite players in this draft and I was very hesitant to put him late 5th but I would be OK to trade up in that round to make sure we get him. I've seen him play and he is good in so many facets of the game.

Fair enough. I do like Taylor. If the guy can get motivated he'll turn into a very good DT. Although it looks like you guys are looking into Sammie Lee Hill:

A league source tells us that Hill, who some think could be picked as high as round two, has scheduled visits with the Jets, Eagles, Buccaneers, Chargers, and Steelers.

PFT.com

Lebsteel
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I would be OK with those selections, but, like Jom, I'd rather see Sammie Lee Hill or Dorrell Scott in Rd. 3. I'd love to pick up Potter in Rd. 6 but we may have to go Rd. 5 if we want him...Oviedo, just curious, did you read anything to make you shy away from Brace in Rd. 1?

Oviedo
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I would be OK with those selections, but, like Jom, I'd rather see Sammie Lee Hill or Dorrell Scott in Rd. 3. I'd love to pick up Potter in Rd. 6 but we may have to go Rd. 5 if we want him...Oviedo, just curious, did you read anything to make you shy away from Brace in Rd. 1?

Not shying away but I think the FO will look OL. It was really a toss up between Unger and Brace. My final could have us going back to DL. Just put this out for comment.

Bandito
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Brace has a history of recurring back problems which is only amplified more with his weight. I like his character and would not be disappointed if the Steeler FO do select but do worry about his durability.

MeetJoeGreene
03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
That is an excellent mock draft.

Are you sure Burnett will be there that late?

BigBen2112
03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Im gonna quick giving away my sleeper picks...between you and JOM they'll all be stolen.

Oracle
03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
oviedo -

i watched a lot of byu games over the past two years and IMO collie's hands are not as good as people might think. he has decent size and gets good separation but most of his catches were either stationary/turn around in the soft spot of the zone, or deep slants where he was wide open. he does not catch the ball well in traffic or hang on after contact. he is below average at punt/kick off returns. i know his numbers look good but i think you will see minimal production from him in the NFL. although he is sometimes compared to wes welker or kevin curtis i believe he is way, way slower. just my opinion.

Oviedo
03-26-2009, 06:54 AM
oviedo -

i watched a lot of byu games over the past two years and IMO collie's hands are not as good as people might think. he has decent size and gets good separation but most of his catches were either stationary/turn around in the soft spot of the zone, or deep slants where he was wide open. he does not catch the ball well in traffic or hang on after contact. he is below average at punt/kick off returns. i know his numbers look good but i think you will see minimal production from him in the NFL. although he is sometimes compared to wes welker or kevin curtis i believe he is way, way slower. just my opinion.

Good info. I'd also consider Mike Thomas or Deon Butler in that area. I think that pick though needs to be a WR pick. One option at 2.64 is to grab Derrick Williams. I'm still toying with that idea.

steelblood
03-26-2009, 08:22 AM

I think Unger will turn out to be solid. I've read several accounts that he may be the best center in this class for a zone blocking offense.

I think one thing we know from watching the last few years is that even though we are running some zone schemes, we need a real stout center to handle Rogersx2, Ngatax2, Jamaal Williams, etc.

phillyesq
03-26-2009, 08:46 AM
I like this draft for the most part, but I would replace Unger with Mack, and I'd replace Taylor with another NT prospect.