PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory picks are out...

Jom112
03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Looks like you guys got screwed:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... aft-picks/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/23/2009-compensatory-draft-picks/)

5 (33-169) Pittsburgh

Only a fifth round comp pick. I thought for sure you guys would get a 3rd round pick for Faneca...

EDIT: Reading into it more, it makes sense now. The SB winner gets the last comp pick in the round and only 4 are alloted for round 3. So if 9 teams deserve 3rd round comps, the Steelers get bumped back to the 5th round for winning the SB.

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2009, 08:44 PM
:wft

Seriously...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dcdi--LdAeQ/Sa1sWd8j4pI/AAAAAAAAEBg/BGX_vc32JHc/s400/wtf.jpg

:x

I'm seriously ticked off right now...Florio better be pulling this info out of his @$$ because I am NOT happy whatsoever.

Jom112
03-23-2009, 08:49 PM
:wft

Seriously...

:x

I'm seriously ticked off right now...Florio better be pulling this info out of his @$$ because I am NOT happy whatsoever.

I was thinking the same thing at first but it does make sense. Like I said if 9 teams deserve 3rd round comp picks and the SB winner is one of the 9, then the SB winner gets the 9th pick. Only 4 picks per round (Except the 7th), so that's why you guys have the first pick in the 5th round...

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
The Post-Gazette confirms it. G*d D*mn It!!!

Steelers awarded fifth-round compensatory pick
Monday, March 23, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The Steelers received and extra draft pick today, but not the one they had hoped to get.

The NFL issued a fifth-round pick to the Steelers as one of 32 compensatory choices the league awarded to 16 teams today.

Privately, the Steelers were expected a third-round pick. The extra pick for the Steelers will be the 33rd in the fifth round or no. 169 overall.

The NFL uses a complicated system to determine compensatory picks. The Steelers were awarded their extra choice based on losing two unrestricted free agents last year, Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans, versus signing one, Mewelde Moore.

The Steelers now have nine picks in next month's draft, one in each of the seven rounds, and additional picks in the fifth and seventh rounds.

First published on March 23, 2009 at 7:46 pm

RuthlessBurgher
03-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Here is what AdamJT13 predicted:

THIRD ROUND

New England (Asante Samuel, $9.3567 million per season, 15 GP/15 GS, Pro Bowl)

Pittsburgh (Alan Faneca, $7.8 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

Cincinnati (Justin Smith, $7 million, 16/16) possibly a fourth-round pick

FOURTH ROUND

Chicago (Bernard Berrian, $6.9 million, 16/13) possibly a third-round pick

N.Y. Giants (Gibril Wilson, $6.5008 million, 16/15) possibly a third-round pick

San Diego (Michael Turner, $5.75 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl) possibly a third-round pick

San Diego (Drayton Florence, $5.9333 million, 15/8)

Tennessee (Antwan Odom, $5.9 million, 12/8)

Indianapolis (Jake Scott, $4.8 million, 16/16) possibly a fifth-round pick

Here is what happened:

THIRD ROUND

Cincinnati (Justin Smith, $7 million, 16/16)

Chicago (Bernard Berrian, $6.9 million, 16/13)

N.Y. Giants (Gibril Wilson, $6.5008 million, 16/15)

FOURTH ROUND

San Diego (Michael Turner, $5.75 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

Indianapolis (Jake Scott, $4.8 million, 16/16)

FIFTH ROUND

Complete and utter bullsh!t.

Faneca got a contract worth $3 million per season more than Jake Scott (plus Scott did not make the Pro Bowl), but Indy gets pick 136 for Scott, and we get pick 169 for Faneca.

How about this, NFL...if you only want to give out 4 picks at the end of each round, HOW ABOUT THE FOUR MOST DESERVING ONES GET THE THIRD ROUND, THE NEXT FOUR MOST DESERVING ONES GET THE FOURTH ROUND, ETC. This is a crock.

They are all in perfect order by contract value except for one...the one team that royally got screwed. The 98th pick should be ours, not the 169th. SEVENTY-ONE PICKS LOWER. Disgusting.

steelz09
03-23-2009, 09:05 PM
horrible news!

Another reason why our FO really screwed up with letting McFadden go. I was expecting to get a quality guy with that 3rd round romp pick. (CB, OL, or DL)

Jom112
03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Here is what AdamJT13 predicted:

[quote]THIRD ROUND

Cincinnati (Justin Smith, $7 million, 16/16) possibly a fourth-round pick

FOURTH ROUND

Chicago (Bernard Berrian, $6.9 million, 16/13) possibly a third-round pick

N.Y. Giants (Gibril Wilson, $6.5008 million, 16/15) possibly a third-round pick

San Diego (Michael Turner, $5.75 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl) possibly a third-round pick

Indianapolis (Jake Scott, $4.8 million, 16/16) possibly a fifth-round pick

Here is what happened:

THIRD ROUND

Cincinnati (Justin Smith, $7 million, 16/16)

Chicago (Bernard Berrian, $6.9 million, 16/13)

N.Y. Giants (Gibril Wilson, $6.5008 million, 16/15)

FOURTH ROUND

San Diego (Michael Turner, $5.75 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

Indianapolis (Jake Scott, $4.8 million, 16/16)

FIFTH ROUND

Faneca got a contract worth $3 million per season more than Jake Scott (plus Scott did not make the Pro Bowl), but Indy gets pick 136 for Scott, and we get pick 169 for Faneca.

How about this, NFL...if you only want to give out 4 picks at the end of each round, HOW ABOUT THE FOUR MOST DESERVING ONES GET THE THIRD ROUND, THE NEXT FOUR MOST DESERVING ONES GET THE FOURTH ROUND, ETC. This is a crock.

They are all in perfect order by contract value except for one...the one team that royally got screwed. The 98th pick should be ours, not the 169th. SEVENTY-ONE PICKS LOWER. Disgusting.[/quote:im1r9eva]

That breakdown is a little off. Michael Turner went to the Pro Bowl, so that bumps him up to a 3rd round comp. Jake Scott did really well and started at 16 games, so he moves up to a 3rd round comp as well. Antwon Odom and Drayton Florence should have been 4th round comps so you guys should be moved up 2 picks.

But for some reason they decided that all of them were worthy of 3rd round comp picks.

Plus I believe that only the SB teams (Winner and loser), get reordered in the comp pick process. Which is why the salaries line up that way...

Flasteel
03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Who cares? Yeah sure it would have been nice to get the 3rd-rounder but we're the defending champs and we return with a loaded team next season. Faneca was nothing more than a whining malcontent who made the pro bowl on reputation alone. We lost nothing and gained little.

We can point to 5th-round success stories like William Gay or Lee Flowers and line up a ton of 3rd-round busts. Use the pick wisely and we could still wind up with a steal. Either way we're going to be kicking everyone's ass for the next several years.

Starlifter
03-23-2009, 10:32 PM
the NFL is very democratic. they punish success, redistribute wealth and strive to make everyone equal. it may be the only place in the universe where I agree with that philosophy........

phillyesq
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM

They are all in perfect order by contract value except for one...the one team that royally got screwed. The 98th pick should be ours, not the 169th. SEVENTY-ONE PICKS LOWER. Disgusting.

:Agree :Agree

Total B.S.

buckeyehoppy
03-23-2009, 11:07 PM
F--- Goodell and his f---tard comp system. F---ing Faneca was a g-ddam ProBowler. So, he's only worth a g-ddam 5th Round comp!

F--- YOU GOOD OL' ROG!!!

Tell ya what, Roggie Poo...when the CBA gets redone next year you can skewer you FA Comp system on penis you fool!!! Instead if f---ing teams with a bull$hit comp that's subject to the whims of the league, the teams should get salary cap relief for the duration of a FA loss that's equal to the value of the contract of the lost player. THAT would be an equitable way of compensating loss for a team losing a top shelf FA.

This f---ing Goodell is a panty waist!

SidSmythe
03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
the NFL is very democratic. they punish success, redistribute wealth and strive to make everyone equal. it may be the only place in the universe where I agree with that philosophy........

very nice :Clap

Steel Life
03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
So now we know the answer to the question of "when is a 3rd round compensation pick, not really a 3rd round compensation pick?...When you're the Super Bowl Champions!" Before getting into too much of an uproar, ask yourself this - would you trade down from the 3rd to the 5th for a Super Bowl? I think the answer is obvious.

Now would a another 3rd been nice?...Of course, but more for the flexibility in the draft than anything else. If the assumption about the adjusted pick is true, then that's something I would want the NFL to look into changing more so than the length of players' hair.

But does anyone think that all our draft picks are going to make the team anyway?

WoodleyofTroy
03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
This is a joke. But I'm not surprised. Steelers always get screwed out of comp picks. Whereas the Patriots could lose just Larry Izzo, and the league would still find a way to get them a 3rd.

Steel Life
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I will say this though...with the extra choices P*triots received, I think this opens the door for the Julius Peppers trade - & I think that is utter BS. What basically has happened is the Patriots & Panthers were able to go through a dry-run on the compensation & now the P*ts have the ammo to get it done. From the lack of punishment for Spygate to this, the continued favoritism is troubling...

Bandito
03-24-2009, 12:06 AM
After the Patriots won the 2004 Superbowl, they were compensated with a 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

There were six 3rd round comps, three 4th round comps, and six 5th round comps.

http://dal.scout.com/2/362132.html

Jom112
03-24-2009, 12:29 AM
The more I'm reading about how the compensatory pick process works the less and less it makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Pittsburgh paper has a story about this soon questioning the whole process...

feltdizz
03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
NFL needs ratings and the Pats are a huge market....

Chadman
03-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Wow....that seems so....'fair'... :?

Anyway, it's done now. What does it mean in terms of the draft for the Steelers? Possibly not much.

If anything, Chadman thinks it might, just MIGHT, make drafting an OL MORE of a priority in the first couple of rounds. Chadman still thinks they'll go "BPA" in Round 1 (although now BPA might also constitute being a position of need as well), but they might just look at Round 2 as the round 'they must draft OL' if they don't grab OL in Round 1- make sense?

Also- because the most pressing need will be in interior OL, look for either an OG or C to be a first day pick.

papillon
03-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Wow....that seems so....'fair'... :?

Anyway, it's done now. What does it mean in terms of the draft for the Steelers? Possibly not much.

If anything, Chadman thinks it might, just MIGHT, make drafting an OL MORE of a priority in the first couple of rounds. Chadman still thinks they'll go "BPA" in Round 1 (although now BPA might also constitute being a position of need as well), but they might just look at Round 2 as the round 'they must draft OL' if they don't grab OL in Round 1- make sense?

Also- because the most pressing need will be in interior OL, look for either an OG or C to be a first day pick.

If they can find a trading partner trading the 1.32 for whatever it's worth in rounds 2 and 3 may be a reality as well. Stock up with 2nd and 3rd round picks that they didn't get through the comp pick process. This draft seems deep enough that having a couple 2nds and 3rds may be ideal for this team.

Pappy

grotonsteel
03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
:wft GOODELL sucks

ikestops85
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, it sure seems we got screwed and it will be interesting to see how all the conspirators spin this when BSing that the Steelers are the NFL's favorite son. What I do wonder is why is everyone mad at Goodell? Did he change the rules on awarding comp picks?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I felt that a trade up in the 1st was a high possibility "IF" the Steelers got a 3rd comp. I think it is BS that you loose a player like Faneca with his contract & a Pro Bowl and you get nothing...Basicly! I don't think a trade up is as likely now. I chnaged my mock...Liked it better before!

Northern_Blitz
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes, it sure seems we got screwed and it will be interesting to see how all the conspirators spin this when BSing that the Steelers are the NFL's favorite son. What I do wonder is why is everyone mad at Goodell? Did he change the rules on awarding comp picks?

After the Patriots won the 2004 Superbowl, they were compensated with a 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

Aparently, since previous SB winners have received 3rd round picks. So SB winners can get 3rd round comps.

Not only did the Pats get a 3rd rounder after winning the SB, it was pick 3-37. Another third round pick was awarded to Denver that year at 3-38. So the "SB winner gets the last pick in the round" justification doesn't hold water either.

Bottom line is that we just got hosed by the league. Hopefully the Rooney's put up a fuss, because this it total BS.

Based on this years comps, the NFL should have to put out the formula for the comps to ensure that they are being done in an legitimate fashion from year to year. This years comps are not legit based on how they have been done in previous years.

grotonsteel
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Bottom line is that we just got hosed by the league. Hopefully the Rooney's put up a fuss, because this it total BS.

Unfortunately Rooneys are not going to do anything about GOODELL....they support him.

I heard on Mike & Mike today morning that NFL will be turned into flag football to protect Tom Brady a.k.a Marsha??

phillyesq
03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Now that my shock and anger has subsided, the only thing I can think of is that Mewelde Moore must have factored into this more than anybody would have ever thought.

The initial thinking was that Moore and Clark Haggans would cancel each other out. Both signed relatively low money deals (about $1 million per), although Haggans signed a one year deal, and Moore's was three years. Haggans didn't play much and get hurt, whereas Moore played every week and started a few games. Somehow, Moore must have been a significant factor in the comp formula, taking Faneca from a 3 to a 5.

Jom112
03-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Got some insight on the compensatory process from AdamJT13. The guy that predicts the comp picks pretty well before they come out. Here is some info:

The NFL lets a player's value be determined primarily by the market, which also helps determines the opportunity a team had for keeping that player. You get compensated based mostly on that value. And what the player did for you (his previous team) is irrelevant. The formula is based entirely on his contract with his new team (which is the main factor), his playing time with his new team (a small factor) and any honors he got with his new team (a very small factor).

Regarding Michael Turner, the reason he was worth only a fourth-round pick was because he signed for only $5.75 million per season and he played less than 60 percent of the Falcons' offensive snaps. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl wasn't enough to move that pick into the third round.

I asked him why the Steelers only got a 5th for Faneca then. I'll let you guys know if he responds...

plainnasty
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Here is what AdamJT13 had to say:

The NFL announced the compensatory picks this afternoon. I got 26 correct this year, with almost all of them coming in the order I projected. I was off by one round on three more, all of which I said were possible. I barely missed my goal of 30 correct or within one round, but I had more picks correct and fewer off by one round than I expected, so I'm fairly pleased.

I missed two seventh-rounders, with the NFL awarding picks to Jacksonville and Cincinnati (both of which I said would happen if Aaron Glenn and Alex Stepanovich qualified, and they did qualify). Seattle didn't get one of the seventh-rounders I projected because Keary Colbert wound up qualifying (I explained his situation in my original post). Detroit didn't end up getting a net-value pick as I projected, so I'll have to re-examine the players involved there. It was a close call anyway, so it's not a big surprise.

The one surprise that I can't explain is the Steelers getting only a fifth-round pick after losing two players (Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans) and signing one (Mewelde Moore). Haggans and Moore had seventh-round values and should have canceled out each other. Faneca played 99 percent of the snaps, made the Pro Bowl and got a huge contract ($7.8 million per season, plus a little more that doesn't count in the equation). He clearly had a third-round value, so I'm curious about why the Steelers got a fifth. Hopefully the media in Pittsburgh will look into it and get an answer.

I'll provide a little more analysis later. In the meantime, here are the 2009 comp picks and the players signed and lost by each team that got a true comp pick:

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/

Jom112
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM

The NFL announced the compensatory picks this afternoon. I got 26 correct this year, with almost all of them coming in the order I projected. I was off by one round on three more, all of which I said were possible. I barely missed my goal of 30 correct or within one round, but I had more picks correct and fewer off by one round than I expected, so I'm fairly pleased.

I missed two seventh-rounders, with the NFL awarding picks to Jacksonville and Cincinnati (both of which I said would happen if Aaron Glenn and Alex Stepanovich qualified, and they did qualify). Seattle didn't get one of the seventh-rounders I projected because Keary Colbert wound up qualifying (I explained his situation in my original post). Detroit didn't end up getting a net-value pick as I projected, so I'll have to re-examine the players involved there. It was a close call anyway, so it's not a big surprise.

The one surprise that I can't explain is the Steelers getting only a fifth-round pick after losing two players (Alan Faneca and Clark Haggans) and signing one (Mewelde Moore). Haggans and Moore had seventh-round values and should have canceled out each other. Faneca played 99 percent of the snaps, made the Pro Bowl and got a huge contract ($7.8 million per season, plus a little more that doesn't count in the equation). He clearly had a third-round value, so I'm curious about why the Steelers got a fifth. Hopefully the media in Pittsburgh will look into it and get an answer.

I'll provide a little more analysis later. In the meantime, here are the 2009 comp picks and the players signed and lost by each team that got a true comp pick:

Also the Patriots and the Colts got 3rd round comp picks after they won the SB. So it's not because you guys won the SB.

You guys on some double secret probation that no one knows about? :lol:

steelblood
03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Chemsteel,

Where are you? Take this straight to Tomlin.

phillyesq
03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
After reading what AdamJT13 had to say, it's nice to know that we're not the only ones who are perplexed.

Jom112
03-24-2009, 03:34 PM
After reading what AdamJT13 had to say, it's nice to know that we're not the only ones who are perplexed.

I think your reasoning on Melwelde Moore's value outweighing Clark Haggans makes the most sense as a possible reason.

Moore signed a 3 year contract while Haggans only signed a one year deal...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Good read...Jr! :wink:

plainnasty
03-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks, Pops

plainnasty
03-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks, Pops

NorthCoast
03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
The more I'm reading about how the compensatory pick process works the less and less it makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Pittsburgh paper has a story about this soon questioning the whole process...

That's the problem here. The NFL better come clean and publish formulas or guidelines about this award process. Waaay too much subjectivity and secrecy. They need to be more open or these controversies will keep happening. Knowing the Rooneys, they won't bitch about this but if it was my team I would be seriously irritated.

I agree with the other poster. The NFL is the only business entity I know that punishes for success.

jrobitaille23
03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
It was explained that Faneca's age was the reason we only got a fifth. Something about anyone over 30 years old can at BEST recoup a fifth rounder. No conspiracy here. Believe me...I don't like it either but it is the rule so...

True Fan
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
geez, does anyone think the steelers could have gotten any thing better than a late 5th/early 6th round pick if they would have traded faneca instead of releasing him now? :roll:

frankthetank1
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Who cares? Yeah sure it would have been nice to get the 3rd-rounder but we're the defending champs and we return with a loaded team next season. Faneca was nothing more than a whining malcontent who made the pro bowl on reputation alone. We lost nothing and gained little.

We can point to 5th-round success stories like William Gay or Lee Flowers and line up a ton of 3rd-round busts. Use the pick wisely and we could still wind up with a steal. Either way we're going to be kicking everyone's bad word for the next several years.

thats exactly how i feel. those other teams need the picks more anyways so let them have em. we have won the sb 2 times in the last few years. this doesnt matter at all. this such bs but i could care less. draft picks are nothing if you pick busts.