PDA

View Full Version : SKL's first draft

steelerkeylargo
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
First up we trade with the Giants ( plenty of trade history with them). Our first for their 2/45 and 3/91. With the primo talent on OL gone we trade back and still get our guys and depth.

2/45-Jarron Gilbert-DE-SJSU-Physical specimen who fits our system perfectly immediately rotates in with Keisel and eventually takes over for Smith

2/64-Eric Wood-OL-Louisvile-Could play immediately at RG. Steelers have worked him out and he wants to play for "a physical team like Pittsburgh"

3/91-Louis Murphy-WR-Florida-winner, 6'2" total package player, good character

3/96-Kevin Barnes-CB-Maryland-Big hitter (youtube him), smart (41 wonderlic), good size speed combo

3/comp-Troy Kropog-OT-Tulane-4 year starter helped pave the way for Matt Forte starts in 2010

4th rd-Sammie Lee Hill-NT-Stillman-excellent athalete for a man 325 lbs. Hamptons eventual replacement

5th rd.-Brandon Walker-OG-Oklahoma-Two year starter and an underrated player, nice depth addition

6th rd.-Blake Schleuter-C-TCU-tough as nails center, will need to add weight but is a football player in the steeler mold

7th rd. (from Tampa)-Lendy Holmes-S-Oklahoma-former WR with excellent ball skills, a year on the PS than replaces Ty Carter

7th rd.-Marcus Malei-FB-Weber St.-a hammer fullback that the steelers have interest in

SteelHead
03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Kevin Barnes as a mid-round pick for us would be great , I've been on him as a corner we should target for a while now. From everything I've read his shoulder is fully healed too.

buckeyehoppy
03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to PS, aka the Island of Misfit Steelers Fans, SKL...j/k

Like this draft. Lots of people would say that Gilbert would be a reach at 2.45. Not me. If the Steelers couldn't get Mack, getting Gilbert at 2.45 would be a nice consolation prize.

Wood is also a nice consolation prize if Mack can't be had. Besides, he may be the poor man's Mack who would project the same way.

And if I could get Kropog with a 3rd round comp, you could knock me over with a feather and I'd still have a smile on my face.

:Cheers to ya SKL!

steelerkeylargo
03-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Welp 5th rounder for Faneca shoots this draft down. Back to the drawing board.

buckeyehoppy
03-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Jump Kropog to 3.91 and consider Quan Cosby as 5th Rd. Comp. if he's still available.

Cosby as a 5th Comp would be a steal and may help Sweed get his bearings with someone around who he's familiar with.

FWIW, I think Sweed will be markedly improved over last years performance. It's not unusual for a rookie WR to have those kinds of jitters...see S'Tonio's rookie year.

Cosby may have the type of maturity that will keep him around as well and I feel that he was a play maker in college, so if he's around for the Steelers 5th Rd. Comp the Steelers could do worse.

Oviedo
03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I love the trade down scenario. Given how we got "screwed" on the Comp Pick for Faneca this makes more sense than ever to get another Round 3 pick.

steelerkeylargo
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Jump Kropog to 3.91 and consider Quan Cosby as 5th Rd. Comp. if he's still available.

Cosby as a 5th Comp would be a steal and may help Sweed get his bearings with someone around who he's familiar with.

FWIW, I think Sweed will be markedly improved over last years performance. It's not unusual for a rookie WR to have those kinds of jitters...see S'Tonio's rookie year.

Cosby may have the type of maturity that will keep him around as well and I feel that he was a play maker in college, so if he's around for the Steelers 5th Rd. Comp the Steelers could do worse.

As an avid OU fan I have seen my share of Cosby. He is an intriguing talent in the Santana Moss mold. I would def. not mind seeing him in a steeler uni!