PDA

View Full Version : Info on Joe Burnett, CB

Oviedo
03-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm telling you guys he is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. We could get him late in Round 3 or possibly Round 4. That is why we don't need to waste a Round 1 pick on a CB.

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Central Florida. And now the Patriots are checking out another talented cornerback out of UCF by the name of Joe Burnett, a player of such high interest to them that head coach Bill Belichick made the trip to Florida to watch Burnett during a private workout on March 19, as first reported at Scout.com by Charlie Bernstein at our UCF site.

Burnett told Scout.com during a recent phone interview that he had already completed a workout for the Cleveland Browns on March 12, and he has an official visit scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers on April 1. At the Combine, he had formal interviews with the New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Indianapolis Colts.

In addition to his skills as a cornerback, Burnett led Conference USA in both punt returns average (14.54 yards) and kickoff returns average (28.65 yards). He also finished in the top ten nationally in both categories.

Burnett had toyed with the thought of declaring early and entering the draft after his junior season, but said that returning for his final year was definitely the best decision.

"One of the highlights that I'm most proud of is that I graduated, and that's the best feeling I've ever had, better than running touchdowns back or catching an interception," he said.

And now that it's time for Burnett to move on and pursue his NFL dream, he's ready to make an impact at the next level.

"I think I'm a great cornerback who can cover from all positions and who can recognize routes. I'm a really good bump-and-run cornerback who has seen a lot of schemes, who adjusts well and is able to learn quickly," he said. "They're going to get a very versatile guy who can play corner, play in the slot, and who can also handle returns."

phillyesq
03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't know much about him as a corner, but if the Steelers could add somebody like this in the middle rounds -- somebody with the ability to work into the D in the dime and immediately contribute as a return guy -- I'd be very pleased.

Oviedo
03-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know much about him as a corner, but if the Steelers could add somebody like this in the middle rounds -- somebody with the ability to work into the D in the dime and immediately contribute as a return guy -- I'd be very pleased.

He could be as early as late Round 3 thru Round 5. I'm betting his return ability gets him up into the Round 3-4 range. I think using our 3b would make sense. You essentially take care of two roster spots with one player.

Jom112
03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Since Joe Burnett measured in at 5'9" at the combine, he'll definitely be available in the mid rounds. I'm thinking 4th round or later...

steelerkeylargo
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I like Burnett quite a bit ( so does bill belichek). I also like Keenan Lewis from Oregon and Kevin Barnes from Maryland in that 3rd round area. I really like Barnes, hard hitter and a 41 wonderlic.

Oviedo
03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I like Burnett quite a bit ( so does bill belichek). I also like Keenan Lewis from Oregon and Kevin Barnes from Maryland in that 3rd round area. I really like Barnes, hard hitter and a 41 wonderlic.

Any of those three in Round 3 or 4 would be excellent pick ups. Not sure about Lewis and Barnes but I've seen Burnett as a returner and he is really good.