PDA

View Full Version : Who is trade able?

steeler_george
03-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Who do you think is trade able? With the idea of bringing in younger talent with out losing a step?

Here are few I think:

1) L. Foote - I believe Timmons is ready to fill in and with signing of A. Harrsion, Frasier, and of course B. Davis on the squad I can see him an option.

2) C. Hampton - Last year of contract, is he still in Tomlin's dog house? He is getting slower, older, lazy(?) could be good value for teams looking for players in a 3-4 system. Have Hoke and hopefully a draft pick to get younger at this position.

3) Parker- I know it has said here a million times. I don't see it happening... but the reason why I am bringing this up is not only the Mendi factor, but how well Moore played. Although each bring something different,

Parker -speed homerun ability
Moore -can be 3 down back, great hands, shifty, pateint runner)

Both are virtually the same type of back. Is there enough room on this rooster for all these backs: Parker, Moore, Mendi, Russell.

4) Dixon- could he be packaged in a trade to move up. My thinking is Leftwich signs here again and bring Batch as the 3rd QB signed to a vet min.

frankthetank1
03-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Who do you think is trade able? With the idea of bringing in younger talent with out losing a step?

Here are few I think:

1) L. Foote - I believe Timmons is ready to fill in and with signing of A. Harrsion, Frasier, and of course B. Davis on the squad I can see him an option.

2) C. Hampton - Last year of contract, is he still in Tomlin's dog house? He is getting slower, older, lazy(?) could be good value for teams looking for players in a 3-4 system. Have Hoke and hopefully a draft pick to get younger at this position.

3) Parker- I know it has said here a million times. I don't see it happening... but the reason why I am bringing this up is not only the Mendi factor, but how well Moore played. Although each bring something different,

Parker -speed homerun ability
Moore -can be 3 down back, great hands, shifty, pateint runner)

Both are virtually the same type of back. Is there enough room on this rooster for all these backs: Parker, Moore, Mendi, Russell.

4) Dixon- could he be packaged in a trade to move up. My thinking is Leftwich signs here again and bring Batch as the 3rd QB signed to a vet min.

all those guys are tradeable but they wouldnt get much at all if anything for hampton or foote. is anyone suprised foote hasnt been released? i thought he would be a cap casulity. i will be pretty suprised if foote wins the starting job over timmons. parker is the most tradeable i think, not just of mendi and moore but because of russell as well. i think russell has a ton of potential and can be a very good rb in the nfl. i just hope the steelers give him a legit chance with playing time. i would hate to see him leave because of the depth at rb. kind of like vrabel's situation. even if the steelers put vrabel at olb he wouldnt of started because of the depth at olb

phillyesq
03-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Parker is tradeable, but his value is pretty low coming off a bad year. It wouldn't make sense to trade him while his value is at its lowest.

Hampton would probably bring no more than a third round pick in return. I'd rather keep Casey until the Steelers are sure that they have somebody in house that can step up and fill the void.

Foote probably wouldn't bring more than a second day pick. He is in the last year of his deal, and I think it makes sense to keep him. He is very solid against the run, which allows for a fresh Timmons to come in on passing downs. Farrior is also getting a bit older; having Foote allows you to spell Farrior for a series or two.

Discipline of Steel
03-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Foote: Our only real depth at ILB, he is a good player and will be on the field this year, although i expect Timmons will be playing a lot more. Id say no way if he gets that Detroit idea out of his head.

Hampton: We wont get squat for him at this point, i think we are seeing a preciptous free-fall in his abilities. I expect we will squeeze one more year out of him if he makes it through camp.

Parker: I can see him as a trade bait considering our current stable of backs. I dont think we will get top value though. Considering how easily it is to lose a RB to injury, better just to stick with Parker, Mendy, Moore, Russell, AND A SHINY NEW FB!

Dixon: I think the Steelers drafted him for a reason. Im expecting Dixon as our #2 QB this year with Batch in a #3 QB/asst coach role. Lefty prob gets signed elsewhere after the draft...maybe the Lions if they dont 'land' Crybaby Cutler.

Summary: The only trade I can see us 'potentially' making is to package FWP with a pick to move up and grab a player we are in love with in round 1 or 2. One bone-chilling negative of this scenario is that it would make it more of a likelihood that we see Carey Davis in the black and gold for another year.

Sugar
03-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I guess I don't think that there is anyone in this draft class that the Steelers would be "in love" enough with to trade any of the aforementioned (save maybe Foote).

mshifko
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
foote, really is the only guy that is tradeable...we would not want to trade willie, that would be a huge mistake...you need two good RB's, we have the chance to do that with he and mendy...keep FWP...

timmons is coming after foote's ILB spot...FAST

steelblood
03-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Trading Foote is fine if you get a decent offer, but who would? He is essentially a two down linebacker with one year left on his contract at close to 3 mil. I'd say a fifth rounder would be about right.

Timmons could take over for Foote. He wouldn't be as stout against the run, but everything else would be fine. I think you overestimate the backup situation though. B. Davis and Frazier are outside linebackers only. A. Harrison has worked a bit at inside linebacker, but he is a marginal talent at best. Key Fox has not been resigned. Humpal was cut. Trading Foote would certainly leave us thin at inside backer.

SteelCzar76
03-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Trading Foote is fine if you get a decent offer, but who would? He is essentially a two down linebacker with one year left on his contract at close to 3 mil. I'd say a fifth rounder would be about right.

Timmons could take over for Foote. He wouldn't be as stout against the run, but everything else would be fine. I think you overestimate the backup situation though. B. Davis and Frazier are outside linebackers only. A. Harrison has worked a bit at inside linebacker, but he is a marginal talent at best. Key Fox has not been resigned. Humpal was cut. Trading Foote would certainly leave us thin at inside backer.

"Rey Maualuga,..cough,...Rey Mauluga,...cough cough,..."

WoodleyofTroy
03-21-2009, 04:28 PM

I don't see him dropping all over the place like mocks do. I think at the end of the day, he ends up in the top 15, 16 being the latest to the Chargers. That's probably too far out of reach for the Steelers to trade up.

Steel Life
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM
While I agree there are guys who could go, the likelihood is that they won't unless it's straight up for another player or during the season to clear out a bad situation.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-21-2009, 04:43 PM
is anyone suprised foote hasnt been released? i thought he would be a cap casulity. i will be pretty suprised if foote wins the starting job over timmons.

There is no need to trade or release Foote. His salary is very manageable even if he doesn't start this year. If there are any issues with either Farrior or Timmons, Foote was a starter on this D in two SBs. He will play out his final year before riding off into the twilight of his productive and under appreciated career.

SidSmythe
03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Why would we trade away FOOTE ??
His cap number isn't bad and just b/c Timmons is ready doesn't mean Timmons or Farrior can't go down w/ injury. THen what do we do??

We aren't going to get much for him in a trade and cutting him won't do us any good either.

SteelCzar76
03-21-2009, 09:30 PM

I don't see him dropping all over the place like mocks do. I think at the end of the day, he ends up in the top 15, 16 being the latest to the Chargers. That's probably too far out of reach for the Steelers to trade up.

I feel you,...and i do agree that his stock should not drop. But you know how some of the "stuffed shirts" think,.."Oh,..but what about his hamstring ? Can he play all three downs ?" (Ie: Heath)

Most pundits having him (Rey) going to Denver or Diego,..but i think Denver has greater concerns at this time (to say the least) in terms of how they are going to address their situation at QB,... and i firmly believe that Diego will select Moreno. LT is a future hall of Famer,. but in all honesty he's on the downside of an exceptional career and they must think of the future. Sproles is a "football player",..but i do not consider him a franchise workhorse back.

I was thinking perhaps we could trade up with the Bucs or Lions ? The former if they think Freeman would last until 32 and the latter because,..let's face it,...stockpiling would be in their best interest as they are most certainly rebuilding in all senses.

WoodleyofTroy
03-22-2009, 03:45 AM

I feel you,...and i do agree that his stock should not drop. But you know how some of the "stuffed shirts" think,.."Oh,..but what about his hamstring ? Can he play all three downs ?" (Ie: Heath)

Most pundits having him (Rey) going to Denver or Diego,..but i think Denver has greater concerns at this time (to say the least) in terms of how they are going to address their situation at QB,... and i firmly believe that Diego will select Moreno. LT is a future hall of Famer,. but in all honesty he's on the downside of an exceptional career and they must think of the future. Sproles is a "football player",..but i do not consider him a franchise workhorse back.

I was thinking perhaps we could trade up with the Bucs or Lions ? The former if they think Freeman would last until 32 and the latter because,..let's face it,...stockpiling would be in their best interest as they are most certainly rebuilding in all senses.

While it's very possible that the "likely" teams (Broncos, Chargers, etc.) pass on him due to a numbers game, I can also see an unexpected team taking him as BPA. A lot of mocks are based on need. With the talent and leadership and just overall professionalism that Rey Maualuga holds, I fiind it hard to believe that he'll continue to fall with teams (who may not need him immediately) continue to pass him up.

As for the Bucs, yeah that could be a good spot to trade. Makes sense. And I'd love for Maualuga to be "their" (Steelers) guy that they make a move up for. Maualuga -Timmons - Polamalu running around in the backfield could quite honestly be unfair.

feltdizz
03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Foote is way too valuable to us due to his salary cap numbers.. I don't think you get a solid run stopper at his price and Timmons is making plays all over the field anyway so why mess with it?

Hampton is still an anchor even though we want to believe he isn't due to age..

I argued with DVS for a year about not trading FWP because we had Mend... and after being hurt his rookie season i feel the same way.. Mend is the future but as we have seen.. RB's go down every other game and FWP is still lethal when we actually block for him and give him a FB...

as far the USC LB..
he stayed injured...but who knows, a paycheck may "heal" some of those so called wounds...

Lonbull
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Steeler_George -

I think the problem with many of the players you've already listed is that we wouldn't be able to get an equal value to what these players bring to the team - like Larry Foote and Willie Parker.

In regards to Hampton I don't think we have an exceptable back-up (after Hoke) to get the playing value that Hampton gives us.

The one player that I think makes the most sense to trade is (and I can't believe I'm about to write this): James Harrison.

And here's why -

1st - His prospected value couldn't be any higher than it is right now. He could have been the Super Bowl MVP, and he was lights out this past season.

2nd - He turns 31 in May.

3rd - We have seasoned prospects to replace him, most notably either Bruce Davis or Lawrence Timmons.

In no way am I saying the Steelers should entertain this as a "real" possibility - but all things considered he would top the list of most trade able for highest value, and best chance at replacing reasonably well.

L.B.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
1) L. Foote - Probably the only one on the list who might be a reasonable selection - but he isn't. Foote is not the type of aging star who must be kept in the starting lineup out of respect if he stays (like Porter was). Timmons' playing time will increase and we still have a reasonably priced backup in Foote if anything happens. We also won't get much for an unheralded ILB who is more valuable to us as a backup than the fourth or fifth round pick we might get in return.

2) C. Hampton - Last year's TC fiasco turned out to be much ado about nothing. Once he rounded into form (pun intended :lol: ) Hampton went out and showed what he can do. While we do have a solid backup in Hoke, do we really want to defend the SB with a change to maybe the key position in the 3-4? What kind of return do we get for Casey? If it isn't a first or early second (and I don't think it would be) then no way we make this drastic a change in our #1 D.

3) Parker- I was actually projecting this for this season, but that was last off season when I was expecting RM to get some playing time. Now we are in the same position we were last year when we didn't trade him with two differences. 1) Parker had a worse season in '08 than he did in '07, thus lowering his trade value. 2) RM is an even bigger risk this year coming off of a lost season to injury. If I am another team looking for a veteran RB, I would rather call a rebuilding KC about LJ, or contact FA Edge James before calling the Steelers about FWP.

4) Dixon- What has changed between last year's draft and now? Dixon dropped to the fifth round because he needs to prove himself after his injury. I don't think that one pre season naked bootleg is enough to convince teams to give up much more than the fifth rounder we spent on him. Since we already took the gamble on him, why not see for ourselves if it will pay off?